PDA

View Full Version : UFC

Alucard
13th April 2006, 07:20 AM
With an active board of about 30 members, and a countless supply of b/s birthday topics, surely there has to be a few members who like a real sport ;x

I'm curious to see if anybody here watches the UFC or if everybody is just a bunch of WWE fags ;/

So yes, anybody here a fan of the UFC? or does everybody like fake wrestling~?

PancaKe
13th April 2006, 07:23 AM
...so I'm guessing UFC is wrestling?

What does UFC stand for anyway? I've actually never heard of it.

Leon-IH
13th April 2006, 09:35 AM
UFC is pretty boring, it's basically 2 guys fighting but being a bit too controlled for it to be anything like an actual fight.

Dark Dragonite
13th April 2006, 10:05 AM
Ultimate
Fighting
Championship

Ummmm, I'll go with the vast majority, and say neither...
Oh, and for the record, when I used to watch WWF(before they merged with WCW and got sued by the World Wildlife Federation), Ken Shamrock came from UFC to WWF :p

Heald
13th April 2006, 10:06 AM
Ken Shamrock was the man. He actually beckoned the Rock to hit him in the head with a chair.

Alucard
13th April 2006, 10:35 AM
Ultimate
Fighting
Championship

Ummmm, I'll go with the vast majority, and say neither...
Oh, and for the record, when I used to watch WWF(before they merged with WCW and got sued by the World Wildlife Federation), Ken Shamrock came from UFC to WWF :p

I know. He's back in the UFC again now. He's scheduled for a rematch with Tito in July I think. Chances are he'll get his ass kicked once more. I'm not sure if Rich Franklin beat down Ken worse then Tito did.

UFC is pretty boring, it's basically 2 guys fighting but being a bit too controlled for it to be anything like an actual fight.

Yeah, because ya know, getting an arm or hand broken is to controlled. Since you obviously don't know what you're talking about, I'd advise you to stop posting.

Magmar
13th April 2006, 11:05 AM
Was your reasoning behind registering for this board to come here and be rude to our members because they don't like your sport?

Anyways, I am not an avid fan of wrestling. I was in junior high. I wrestled a bit myself. Now I only watch WWWhatever when my grandpa has it on. Kind of a family bonding thing.

As for UFC, well, I've watched it several times and it's semi-enjoyable. I'm not passionate about it, though, because the fights seem to always end up with people on the ground doing nothing for seemingly hours.

Myster Myuu
13th April 2006, 11:19 AM
I used to watch UFC back loooooong long ago when all they hosted were tournements. This was back when Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn (both of which eventually went to the WWF) were the big names in UFC. I liked those tournaments. Mostly because Im fasinated by just about any athletic tournament. Now-adays, though, it seems UFC has become just another cheap knock-off of Vince McMahon's empire with 2 key differences: 1. the fighting is more bloody and extreme, 2. There is no storylines.

As for the WWF/WWE... its seen better days. I refuse to watch it right now because it has become a mockery and a specticle. Its no longer about the matches, the fueds, the wrestlers.. its about the money. I curse Vince McMahon and everything he stands for for ruining what once was one of the greatest forms of entertainment around.I sincerely hope Jeff Jarrett and his NWA/TNA promotion rises up from the PPV obscurity its currently in ans wipes Vinnie's worthless face from the map. Granted, this is coming from a man who grew watching wrestling back in the Wrestlemania IV-XII era, the golden era of pro-wrestling.

Oh, and has a point of order. If you think wrestling if all fake, I want you to climb 8 feet into the air and jump on top of somebody and tell me you didnt feel it. Then I want you to pick the person up and suplex them and try and tell me you didnt feel it. Wrestling may not be about breaking bones, but maybe thats why its better. Or WAS better, I should say...

Ghost
13th April 2006, 01:45 PM
Meh, UFC Is alright. I remember when Ken Shamrock came to WWF...

Other then that, I don't watch much wrestling, other then Smackdown. RAW isn't that good anymore, Cena is the only good person there and he barely even fights.

Leon-IH
14th April 2006, 01:38 AM
Yeah, because ya know, getting an arm or hand broken is to controlled. Since you obviously don't know what you're talking about, I'd advise you to stop posting.

Ya know, you've obviously never seen or been in a real fight.

Alucard
14th April 2006, 03:06 AM
Ya know, you've obviously never seen or been in a real fight.

Because fights often end up with a person having more then 1 broken limb. :rolleyes:

Magmar
14th April 2006, 06:30 AM
Actually, they don't. Believe me buddy, I've been in enough of them. I've been in... at least a dozen fights (ahh, the joys of youth) and the worst I've ever been hurt besides bruising is jammed knuckles. I've never broken a bone on someone else's body in a fight, but I've dislocated a limb or two...

Alucard
14th April 2006, 06:57 AM
Actually, they don't. Believe me buddy, I've been in enough of them. I've been in... at least a dozen fights (ahh, the joys of youth) and the worst I've ever been hurt besides bruising is jammed knuckles. I've never broken a bone on someone else's body in a fight, but I've dislocated a limb or two...

So you've just pushed forward my point. Thank you~

If anybody says it's too controlled then track down the Forest Griffin Vs. Stephan Bonner fight of last year. Or some of the early fights like Ken Shamrock Vs. Royce Gracie. Hell, one of there fights lasted over half an hour, and that was back in the day where fighters could use bare fists.

Gracie is back next moth aswell. Should be pretty interesting to see him fight again~

Magmar
14th April 2006, 08:44 AM
Essentially. I concede. I've never been punched in the face by someone wearing those UFC gloves, but I can't imagine that the padding in them is nearly enough to reduce impact. Rather to probably avoid the breaking of fists.

mr_pikachu
14th April 2006, 09:02 AM
I've never been punched in the face by someone wearing those UFC gloves, but I can't imagine that the padding in them is nearly enough to reduce impact. Rather to probably avoid the breaking of fists.

Some of you may already know this, but the "Marquess of Queensberry" rules were the first set of restrictions which required competitors to wear gloves. For a more detailed explanation, here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia article on boxing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing):

The introduction of gloves of "fair-size" also changed the nature of the bouts. An average pair of boxing gloves resembles a bloated pair of mittens and are laced up around the wrists. Gloves protected the hands of both fighters but their considerable size and weight made knock-out victories more difficult to achieve. Resultantly, bouts became longer and more strategic with greater importance attached to defensive maneuvers such as slipping, bobbing, countering and angling.

To be honest, I don't watch either UFC or WWE, but I thought I should point that out. Gloves were initially designed only to protect the fists, but they do offer some measure of protection for the opponent, as well.

Of course, there's certainly a fair bit of difference between http://price.ou.edu/pcblabs/pcblabs_body/Classfiles/Class%20Files/BC3000%20Pres%20Skills/StockImages/Boxing_Glove.jpg and http://www.ringsport.com.au/Uploads/Images/UFC%20glove%20velcro.jpg...

*runs off*

Alucard
14th April 2006, 09:44 AM
Essentially. I concede. I've never been punched in the face by someone wearing those UFC gloves, but I can't imagine that the padding in them is nearly enough to reduce impact. Rather to probably avoid the breaking of fists.

Rich Franklin broke his left hand at the start of round 2 of a 5 round match at UFC 58.

I think they're just to protect the knuckles. I wouldn't like to imagine what a knuckle to the face from a 205 pound guy would feel like.

PNT510
15th April 2006, 12:40 AM
[b]I've been getting into the UFC ever since the ultimate fighter started to air on Spike TV last year it's pretty darn enjoyable. That Bonner vs Griffin fight was just awesome. I perfer to watch middle weights and smaller fight though, because they are faster and the bouts are more action packed.

And for anyone who liked pro-wrestling before WWE came in and changed everything into a soap opera they might wanna check out Ring of Honor at rohwrestling.com they're an awesome indy fed with some of the best talent in the world right now. Kinda like a modern day ECW, except instead of mainly hardcore wrestling with some technical and high flying thrown in it's more technical with hardcore and high flying stuff thrown in. The production values suck, but the wrestling is rivaled only by Pro Wrestling NOAH in Japan right now.

Alucard
15th April 2006, 03:10 AM
I've been getting into the UFC ever since the ultimate fighter started to air on Spike TV last year it's pretty darn enjoyable. That Bonner vs Griffin fight was just awesome. I perfer to watch middle weights and smaller fight though, because they are faster and the bouts are more action packed.

I can't wait to see Griffin vs Ortiz tonight. It's either gonna be an awesome war for both of them, or Tito's weak chin will send him down. I prefer stand up fights just like Griffin vs Bonner. I'm not that big a fan of submissions and locks, that's why I'm not much of a fan of Matt Hughes. I do however like rear naked chokes xP

Magmar
15th April 2006, 10:33 AM
Tito is one cocky mofo. (Well, he earned the right to be, lol)

Alucard
15th April 2006, 10:49 AM
Kinda sucked that Jesse lost to an armbar on the last episode of TUF3. I hate it when somebody is dominating a fight then loses to a shitty submission ;/

Ortiz|Shamrock 2 should be a good fight to watch inm July. I doubt it'll be as good as Liddell/Couture 3, but it should still be pretty good. That is, if Ken isn't totally dominated like the last time, and the time against Rich Franklin.

Tito pisses me off sometimes. I can cope with him in short bursts, but when he starts to brag and does his little speach about thanking god and how UFC fans are the best in the world after every single match he's in, It does get a little annoying lolz.

I really am looking forward to tonight though. Tito weighed in at 204 and Forest at 203~

PNT510
15th April 2006, 12:42 PM
[b]I am glad Jesse lost his fight, he was too cocky going into the fight against a more experienced fighter. He was to busy going for the kill that he wasn't able to defend against an easily avoidable armlock.

Alucard
15th April 2006, 01:43 PM
I kinda liked him. He was way too over-confident for that fight though. I really thought he'd keep the fight standing. It's not like he didn't have any time to bring it back up ;/
Though, for the more agressive fighter, he sure did come off worse in the bruises department.

Who do you think Tito will pick for next weeks fight~? I think Kendall might be up.

dratinihaunter13
15th April 2006, 03:00 PM
i haven't been keeping up with ultimate fighter. always missing the latest episode. i like watching ufc for the fighting styles and yeah, the knockouts =D. does anyone think Gracie has a chance against Hughes?

Alucard
15th April 2006, 05:14 PM
i haven't been keeping up with ultimate fighter. always missing the latest episode. i like watching ufc for the fighting styles and yeah, the knockouts =D. does anyone think Gracie has a chance against Hughes?

I predict a Gracie win in round 2 by TKO or submission. Although the polls say:

Matt Hughes - 57.7%
Royce Gracie - 42.3%

If Gracie can't take down Hughes, then I doubt anybody in the 155 to 170 lbs can. Although I'd say that a Sanchez/Hughes match up would be a decent fight. Both like submissions and neither of them like losing. It'd be pretty interesting to watch who's the better submission expert.

EDIT: Those judges decisions where pathetic. How the hell was Tito vs. Forest 30/27? The first round belonged to Tito yeah. He pretty much dominated the whole round but the second Forest controlled everything. As for the third, I would of given that to Forest aswell. Apparently take downs score more then stand fighting. What a rip.

"You only saw 70 percent of me" Pft, yeah sure. Why not just admitt you wern't expecting Forest to be so good ;/ I want Shamrock to beat his ass down now~

Diaz must be sick of going to judges decision lolz That's 3 in a row he's lost now due to decision~ I wasn't expecting Arlovski to lose his belt either. He should of pounced on Sylvia when he dropped him to the canvas. That follow up right to the jaw from Sylvia was just so well placed and awesome though. You can't fault such a powerful blow.

Tanner's choke was unexpected. I thought he would stood up and finished it by KO or TKO~

Gengachu
17th April 2006, 12:22 PM
Well, Alucard, I dig your username (Castlevania is teh r0xx0rz), but I can't say I really like UFC or WWE. UFC is boring and WWE is stupid, though I do have some nostalgia for it..

Alucard
17th April 2006, 04:40 PM
UFC is boring.

I dunno about that. I can't really see how anybody can justify UFC being boring ;/ Check out any of the Forest Griffin fights. Every PPV fight he's had has been far from boring, the same can be said about Liddell and Couture.Even the earlly UFC was entertaining. Some of the KO's are fantastic~

Gengachu
18th April 2006, 02:40 PM
Well, what I've seen of it, which I admit isn't much, just seems like a couple guys rolling around on the ground doing lots of submission holds. In any case, nothing about it grabs me.

PNT510
22nd April 2006, 04:39 AM
[b]While I would have agreed that Forest won the fight right after it finished, after I rewatched it I think Tito won it. Tito dominated the first round, some might even say dominated enough to get a 10-8 decisson. Round two of course went to Forest, but mainly due to octagon control, he landed alot of hits but didn't really do any damage. Round 3 is where it gets tricky. Tito was doing alot better in his stand up than in the second round and was almost even with Forest. I think the takedown put him over in points even if he didn't do alot of damage. I'd personally score the fight 29-28 Tito, but could also see how someone could habe scored the fight 29-27 Tito or 29-28 Forest. A really close fight and I hope there is a rematched if Tito ends up winning the title later this year.

Alucard
22nd April 2006, 06:38 AM
If Forest works on his ground game and works om his takedown defense, then a Tito Forest rematch should be awesome. I'd quite like to see Forest & Chuck slug it out for a few rounds. That would be awesome.

EDIT: I still think Forest should of won that fight. I've just watched it for the third time. The first 10 - 9 to Tito definatly, there's no way I'd call that a 10 - 8 though. Tito didn't do enough damage to claim a 10 - 8. Second belonged to Forest. The third, Forest wins it again. He lands more punches, he controls Tito standing up and when he get's taken down Tito does nothing. Forest lands dozens of elbows then brings the fight back to standing. It's clearly 29 - 28 in favour of Forest, if not that then it's definatly 28 - 28 due to that first round. The judges are biased because the fight was in Tito's home area ;/

I personally can't wait for 'Vendetta'. Tito Shamrock rematch should be awesome to watch. The world can see if Shamrock has improved from the last time~

Who do you think Tito will pick for next weeks fight~? I think Kendall might be up.

I'd like to credit myself at bring right lolz. I predict next week, that Matt will be fighting.

Kinda sucked to see Ross lose to Kendall in TUF. I wasn't surprised though seeing as Ross was at a 6 inch reach disadvantage and an 8/9 inch height disadvantage, and also because Solomon told Kendall his game plan ;/
Kendall and Sol piss me off just because of the annoying "Team Dagger" shit they have going on and also because of that missing tooth lolz~ If Shamrock gets the torch back, I think Ed will be fighting and I hope he gets knocked out.

EDIT: I must say that fight with Mike Bisping was impressive. The first knee to the head sealed the win. Kristian was in waaaay over his head. Kristian was just out classed. I'm surprised they didn't stop the fight with that, it was a nasty gash. Mike comes from my area of the world aswell~

I don't think Mike Nickels will be shouting his mouth off for some time after that impressive fight lolz.

EDIT

The Griffin-Shamrock fight will be on the UFC 61 undercard.

Griffin lost a close decision to Ortiz at UFC 59. But a knee injury to Ortiz has derailed a scheduled summer bout with Ken Shamrock, a grudge match between the two coaches in the current season of The Ultimate Fighter reality TV series.

That's gonna be sweet.