PDA

View Full Version : Firefox decided it hates me.

Craig
13th April 2006, 01:06 PM
I need some technical help here.. I was hoping some of you might know WTF is going on.

So yesterday, I turned on my computer.. opened up firefox..and it was rather barren. It seems all my favourites have been deleted, where my google toolbar is..all those search engines are gone too. All my bookmarks (on the toolbar thing) are deleted to.

So I was all like "SHIT!" But ..no biggie right? Just re-add them.

... Its not letting me re-add them.

Is there anything I can do, bar reinstalling the entire browser? Is there some way to "recover" that kind of crap?

mr_pikachu
13th April 2006, 01:19 PM
It's not letting you add them? I've never heard of that... is the "Bookmark this page" option just missing, or does it have some sort of error message when you click the button, or something?

If the option's just vanished, you can try Ctrl+D until you figure out how to get the thing back. If it's something else, then... um...

<---Not a computer wizard

Andrew
13th April 2006, 05:30 PM
I used to have that happen a little on my old Win98 Pc, it'd delete all my stuff, and my preferences and favourites and be a general bitch. Um, you should keep a backup of some file which keeps all the info on that... or something.

Silencer
14th April 2006, 05:23 AM
Do a virus scan first I'd say. If you can't find a virus, damn...

Chris
14th April 2006, 09:53 AM
Um, you should keep a backup of some file which keeps all the info on that... or something.

This is the most important thing you'll learn from this thread.

youdontknowme
15th April 2006, 04:34 PM
Go to:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\*Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[profilename]\
* indicates hidden folder
Look for your bookmarks.html file. Double-click it and see if you have your bookmarks there. If so, then back it up and then import them in FF.
There might also be a bookmarks.bak file which contains all your bookmarks and what not. (If the .bak file contains your bookmarks, then delete the bookmarks.html file and rename the bookmarks.bak file to bookmarks.html)

That's all I can think of.

Craig
16th April 2006, 08:03 PM
Go to:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\*Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[profilename]\
* indicates hidden folder
Look for your bookmarks.html file. Double-click it and see if you have your bookmarks there. If so, then back it up and then import them in FF.
There might also be a bookmarks.bak file which contains all your bookmarks and what not. (If the .bak file contains your bookmarks, then delete the bookmarks.html file and rename the bookmarks.bak file to bookmarks.html)

That's all I can think of.

This worked. I ran a virus scan, and used the backup and replaced it. I had no idea you could do this :O This is great. Thank you!