PDA

View Full Version : BIOHAZARD: Lets Talk Resident Evil

Mega Horny
17th April 2006, 07:23 PM
Just RE in general. I wont really start us off, lets see what people want to talk about. IMO, the first one was the best just due to the sheer "ACK! IM OUT OF AMMO! RUN! OMGWTF GIANT SNAKE! EEK EVIL DOGS!!!" The fourth was a truly excellent game, but lacked the fright the fright the first one held. leon has the coolest clothes of like, any video game character though. Scariest enemy? Lisa Trevor. She swings those stock things so weird with her long arms. *shudders* Favorite enemy? Definately the twitching stoner Iron Maidens of RE 4. So sick.

Discuss.

PNT510
18th April 2006, 08:43 PM
[b]I got the director's cut to the first Resident Evil for christmas years back and loved the game. It was really scary at the times and funny at others(Master of unlocking, anyone?). It was the only game in the series I ever really go into sadly, because the controls for a lack of better words sucked.

I did played a decent ammount of the 4th game at my friends house and it's fun, but more like an action game than a horror game. I can't say I've played enough of it to be sure that's how the whole game is though.

Perfect Chaos
19th April 2006, 05:27 AM
I haven't played any of the games, but I know ALOT about the story (individual research) and I've been meaning to try the 4th game, but haven't been able to find a copy to borrow/rent. It was rated to be one of the best overall games last year, so I think its worth keep trying to find a copy.

-Sean

Mega Horny
19th April 2006, 05:55 AM
The fourth was indeed more action, boss battles, gun turrets and much less horror and strategy that attracted the fans of the previous games, but it is still possibly one of gamecube's best.

The remake of the first would probably be my favorite. Lush graphics, creepy music, scares and weird skull things that hide on the ceiling and slit your throat (chimeras). PNT, did you end up beating it?

Kohdok
24th April 2006, 10:02 AM
Aha. I see you've started a thread here, as well (Aren't unique user-names the best?)

I, as well, have been meaning to try out RE 4, but at the moment all I have is RE3 to play. You want action game? Try easy mode on RE3. You start out with an ARSENAL! (And infinate ink ribbons for those who are curious)

Mega Horny
24th April 2006, 03:17 PM
The fourth is seriously one of the best games ever -- the only thing wrong with it is that its not really an RE game...

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
25th April 2006, 05:10 AM
I agree with all you others that the 4th game wasn't really a creepy or shocking experience like the previous ones were.

The first of the series stands out as being simply the first one, thus you don't know what to expect yet. I really loved the remake of Resident Evil on the GCN. Sure, the scary factor was pretty much gone since you knew (most of the time) what's waiting for you but the enhanced graphics and new areas made up for it easily.

I'd say that a horror-survival game playing in a house will always (if well made) beat a similar game with its location being somewhere in the big wide open (which Resi 4 pretty much was). Small, narrow corridors with nowhere to go but an old door of which you don't know where it leads to are IMO simply one of the creepiest things possible.

If you want a frightning experience outside Resident Evil, get Thief: Deadly Shadows on the PC and play the "Robbing the Cradle" level. If that's not scaring you nothing in the form of pixels will.

Mega Horny
25th April 2006, 05:19 AM
What do you mean? The cradle itself? I found the level pretty frightening. After all that, going to the gravestone -- I was scared shit and expected the worst. Even the hero is scary to look at. Lighting in games really decides how scary they are.

*Duke*
26th April 2006, 01:43 AM
I haven't played the fourth game though I saw the opening intro from one website and it just doesn't seem to fit at all with how Resident Evil is. I mean it's always been about Umbrella and how their control has reached everywhere in the city, and yet in the first few minutes they're gone. Now that Umbrella has been set to the side Leon is part of the Secret Service? I mean we all know if you can take out a huge hulking creatures such as the Tyrant, you could pretty much handle anything, but who would believe them when the nuke they sent and the lab blowing up pretty much means they have no proof. I mean Wesker's Report pretty much paints a bleak picture, and so does all those little happenings of the characters from Nemesis. That and in that last few minutes it looks like some kind of crazy mix of MGS in it with Leon flirting with the girl that he expected to be someone a little older...
This is why I preferred the books that seemed to give a little bit more of an explanation as to how powerful Umbrella was and how much more of a strong grasp they had on the government and basically putting all those that survived on a search and destroy list.