PDA

View Full Version : BitTorrent

Silencer
18th April 2006, 01:06 PM
I downloaded some torrent files that seem useful (nothing illegal, I assure you) but when I try to use bittorrent I can't seem to upload it.

I said open torrent file.
Selected the file I downloaded
I can see the name above the status bar
In the bar it says 0,0% done, ? remaining
then uploadratio and download speed both on 0

I can ask for information but that's it?

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or what could be wrong?

PS I'm a complete torrent noob

Knight of Time
18th April 2006, 01:51 PM
Hmm, I'm getting used to torrent files as well, Silencer, so I can help you.

If you're downloading something from a torrent file using a program that can open the torrents, just be patient. Some things can take a while to be able to be reached from a torrent program. Just give it time.

Chris
18th April 2006, 01:52 PM
What client are you using?

Silencer
18th April 2006, 11:42 PM
I'm using BitTorrent 4.4.1 on a Windows XP pro.

Should placing the torrents in C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\some map help speeding up the process?

Dark-San
19th April 2006, 06:28 AM
[b][size=3] Check a few things,

1) Is the torrent dead? (Which means no seeds?)
2) Are you behind a firewall or other security features?

Silencer
19th April 2006, 06:49 AM
How can you check if there are seeds available?

Dark-San
19th April 2006, 07:59 AM
[b][size=3] I'm not so sure if the generic BitTorrent programs shows you the seeds. I would strongly recommend you to go for either u torrent or even Bit Comet. Both will show you the seeds and peers.

Andrew
29th April 2006, 08:54 PM
http://www.torrentportal.com/details/97776/Daria_Season_5.3354931.TPB.torrent.html

I'm having trouble with that torrent, could someone help me with that one. I'm using BitComet...

phaedrus
29th April 2006, 09:22 PM
BitTornado also does pretty well.

Andrew
29th April 2006, 09:56 PM
That doesn't really answer my question...

But yes, further investigation shows that the files are .avi which is fine... but then they're .avi.bc! Then it says they're an invalid path.

Knight of Time
2nd May 2006, 07:51 AM
That doesn't really answer my question...

But yes, further investigation shows that the files are .avi which is fine... but then they're .avi.bc! Then it says they're an invalid path.

Well, if you have an avi.bc! file, that means that whatever you're downloading hasn't finished yet (that's why, when I use BitLord to open a torrent, that one in the middle of being released from the torrent file is said to be a BitLord incomplete file), just give it the time it needs to finish.

Andrew
4th May 2006, 06:01 AM
No, ah, they won't even start downloading... that's the problem.

.hacker
4th May 2006, 02:49 PM
I have a question. Are you by chance using a router? If you are, then most likely the downloading speeds will be nothing or at best 3KB/sec. For some reason, routers will block BitTorrent. However, there is a solution:

http://p2p.weblogsinc.com/2005/04/24/how-to-configure-your-router-to-allow-fast-bittorrent-downloads/

If you have a router, this should solve the problem. If you don't have a router, then this won't work... >_>

P.S. To see what your download rate is using BitTorrent, it's displayed by "download rate". The upload rate and share rate have nothing to do with your download speed.

Andrew
4th May 2006, 08:07 PM
No, no I'm not. I have ADSL 2. But I can get high speeds over 100kb per second if I'm lucky. Usually it's around 30 or something.

youdontknowme
4th May 2006, 10:36 PM
What do you have your upload speed set at?

D!
20th May 2006, 06:35 AM
Bittorrent is awesome..
It ownz all other download programs..

By the way, you have to check the seeders..
Whenever downloading a torrent, it should show how many seeders there are..
Seeders are the people you are download it from, so they're pretty much the uploaders..
Downloads are other people downloading it..
The more Seeders there are, the faster your download will be..
If there are no seeders, then it just won't download..

Always remember to check!

Roarkiller
20th May 2006, 09:32 AM
I may probably be asking a dumb question, but have you tried redownloading the torrent file? You know, in case it's broken? Broken torrent files won't be able to d/l jack, after all.

Also, check if you're connected to the tracker at all. The color of the circle top right should tell you.

D!
2nd June 2006, 08:32 PM
Also, try http://x..
http://x is a good tracking website.

youdontknowme
3rd June 2006, 08:45 PM
Hm, aren't we not supposed to spread torrent sites and what not..? Silencer also said that he isn't using bittorrent for anything illegal so those sites would be useless to him. ;)

Previously, I asked what your max upload speed was set at because if you keep it low, it throttles your download speed as well (to help prevent leechers and stuff).

D!
4th June 2006, 05:26 AM
It puts your download speed at low, too?
POO! *runs to bittorrent to change*

Chris
4th June 2006, 12:07 PM
If there are no seeders, then it just won't download..

Incorrect.

D!
4th June 2006, 06:16 PM
Who are you going to get the ze torrent from, then?

Chris
5th June 2006, 06:55 PM
Who are you going to get the ze torrent from, then?

Peers also upload data. That's what makes BitTorrent so powerful.

Chaotic Heavens
6th June 2006, 12:59 AM
Peers can only share as much data chunks as they have downloaded. If there's 50 peers that have 0%, they can't share anything so :p. But yes, peers can share.

And to answer the question of the OP since no one has it seems, have you changed the original filename? If so, then the *.torrent file won't be able to read it as the CHECKSUM will find it different and say you have 0% of the file. Thus, you won't be able to share with anyone. Other than that, I don't really understand why the *.torrent file wouldn't recognize the file you chose unless the *.torrent or file itself was corrupt.

D!
6th June 2006, 01:53 AM

Really?
But is it still more wise to mainly focus seeders, or should I keep an eye on both?

Chaotic Heavens
6th June 2006, 01:55 AM
Really?
But is it still more wise to mainly focus seeders, or should I keep an eye on both?
Mainly focus on seeders because despite the abilities of peers being able to share, they'll never be able to share the whole file(s) with you. Thus, you'll often end up like many others with a 99.9% completion rate and that sucks.

Chris
6th June 2006, 06:34 AM
Really?

If there aren't any seeds on the torrent and all of the pieces in the torrent aren't in the swarm, no-one will be able to complete the download. So yeah, focus mainly on seeds.

D!
6th June 2006, 07:29 PM
Mainly focus on seeders because despite the abilities of peers being able to share, they'll never be able to share the whole file(s) with you. Thus, you'll often end up like many others with a 99.9% completion rate and that sucks.

That once happened to me with the Megadeth discography..
It got to 95% or something..

Just a question. What program do you use for torrents?
I have Utorrent and Bittorrent, but I don't really use Utorrent..
Any recommended programs?

youdontknowme
6th June 2006, 09:00 PM
Just a question. What program do you use for torrents?
I have Utorrent and Bittorrent, but I don't really use Utorrent..
Any recommended programs?
I use uTorrent and Azureus. I like uTorrent 'cause it's nice and light-weight. And I use Azureus whenever I'm on Ubuntu (unless I start using uTorrent via wine someday..)
I don't know how developed the official BitTorrent program is right now, but back then it sucked. You didn't have much control, options, etc. over it and you had to have a bunch of windows open if you had multiple torrents going on. :|
Stick with uTorrent. :D

Chris
7th June 2006, 04:17 PM
I don't know how developed the official BitTorrent program is right now, but back then it sucked.

It sucked then and it sucks now. Unofficial clients have always led the way in terms of feature development. On Windows, µTorrent is the only option.

edit: I pretty good at grammar http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/4883/emotdowns2ia.gif

phaedrus
7th June 2006, 10:33 PM
BitTornado is pretty good, in my opinion.

D!
8th June 2006, 01:48 AM
Okay, thanks guys!
I shall start using Utorrent more often!

And yea, if you download a whole discography with bittorrent, and you have an album on it, you can't deselect that album like with Uttorrent..

homeofmew
16th June 2006, 09:25 PM
use Azureus.
It works wonders for me.

Roarkiller
9th July 2006, 09:38 PM
Sorry to bump an old topic, but just a question on the different programs.

Currently I'm using BitTornado, simply because it allows you to prioritize files WITHIN the torrent itself, if it contains several files. Like for example when d/l a batch file of say ep1-5, I can prioritize ep1 and put ep5 on the lowest priority, so ep1 can finish first, allowing me to watch it before the rest even finishes. It even allows me to choose not to download files within that torrent that I do not want (like the sfv files, for example).

BitComet apparently uses less memory (it's many torrents in a single program), but it doesn't have the prioritze function like BitTornado, and it lags the computer for me.

Obviously I ain't using the original, which has no extra features at all.

That leaves uTorrent and Azureus.

So my question is, what sets these two programs apart from the rest? I'm thinking of switching programs, since Tornado is kinda slow, or maybe the data just isn't getting through, I dunno. I especially need that special prioritizing feature BitTornado has, because for large torrents, I can finish up the first few, burn them off and delete them, and continue with the rest

Chris
10th July 2006, 05:06 AM
BitComet is banned on most trackers because it's a shitty client. Don't use it.

BitTornado is good but these days it lacks nearly all of the useful features found in other clients.

Azureus is written in Java so it uses about 4 gigs of RAM while it's running.

The only other option is µTorrent and trust me, it's the best one available. I'm currently seeding 8 torrents at full capacity and µTorrent is using 3MB of RAM, whereas Azureus would be using about 200. It has a memory footprint the size of a moth, but with almost all of the features found in Azureus. Use it.

Roarkiller
10th July 2006, 10:06 PM
And what are these "useful features" you speak of?

And does uTorrent has that function BitTornado has? The one on prioritizing files within the torrent? That one I really need.

youdontknowme
10th July 2006, 10:18 PM
The one on prioritizing files within the torrent? Yes.