PDA

View Full Version : The TV Advert Enforcer

Metallixs Girl
18th April 2006, 11:20 PM
The advert enforcer

If a new idea from Philips catches on, the company may not be very popular with TV viewers. The company's labs in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, has been cooking up a way to stop people changing channels to avoid adverts or fast forwarding through ads they have recorded along with their target programme.

The secret, according to a new patent filing, is to take advantage of Multimedia Home Platform - the technology behind interactive television in many countries around the world. MHP software now comes built into most modern digital TV receivers and recorders. It looks for digital flags buried in a broadcast, and displays messages on screen that let the viewer call up extra features, such as additional footage or information about a programme.

Philips suggests adding flags to commercial breaks to stop a viewer from changing channels until the adverts are over. The flags could also be recognised by digital video recorders, which would then disable the fast forward control while the ads are playing.

Philips' patent acknowledges that this may be "greatly resented by viewers" who could initially think their equipment has gone wrong. So it suggests the new system could throw up a warning on screen when it is enforcing advert viewing. The patent also suggests that the system could offer viewers the chance to pay a fee interactively to go back to skipping adverts.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn9011&feedId=online-news_rss20

I'm hating Phillips more and more. I just replaced their TV and MP3 player that I had with different brands of each which are better. They blow. :mad:

mr_pikachu
18th April 2006, 11:34 PM
Ugh. If this gets ties up with U.S. government regulations that all new TVs change to the high-definition format within five years, a lot of viewers (myself included) are going to be very aggravated.

Magmar
19th April 2006, 12:41 AM
This government is pulling off shit I just don't like.

I don't watch TV, but my gas costs me $2.78 a fucking gallon!

mr_pikachu
19th April 2006, 01:12 AM
This government is pulling off shit I just don't like.

I don't watch TV, but my gas costs me $2.78 a ****ing gallon!

Oh, please don't make me bring up the same points I listed in the illegal immigration thread... I hate having to argue gasoline costs extensively, because it just gets so tiresome...

Heald
19th April 2006, 07:45 AM
Okay, first you aren't allowed to skip adverts on DVDs (which should be made illegal in my opinion) and now this? This will never actually work. I can't think of any good reason why any company would promote such a scheme. No advert on TV has ever made me want to buy a product. What next? Phillip's installing electrodes that you have to attach to your testicles when you want to watch the TV and if you try to get up to go to the toilet or get a drink during the advert break, you get a 500-volt shock through the nuts? Rape please.

Jeff
19th April 2006, 09:29 AM
And it will end up like... "Now for our commercial break, please sit still as robotic arms come out of the TV to strap you in your seat and hold your eyes open"

Companies just seem to keep trying harder and harder to force us to see thier ads. First it was on the Internet when they moved from easily-ignorable banners to talking banners, popups, and those incredibly annoying flash ads that take up the whole page, and now the same thing is happening to TV. What next, billboards perhaps? I can see the news reports now "We're here at the scene of an accident that apparently happened after the driver was hypnotized to look at every billboard along the road, more after this commercial break, here come the arms, you know the drill".

mr_pikachu
19th April 2006, 09:32 AM
And it will end up like... "Now for our commercial break, please sit still as robotic arms come out of the TV to strap you in your chair and hold your eyes open"

Companies just seem to keep trying harder and harder to force us to see thier ads. First it was on the Internet when they moved from easily-ignorable banners to talking banners, popups, and those incredibly annoying flash ads that take up the whole page, and now the same thing is happening to TV. What next, billboards perhaps? I can see the news reports now "We're here at the scene of an accident that apparently happened after the driver was hypnotized to look at every billboard along the road, more after this commercial break, here come the arms, you know the drill".

Ah, but by then we'll have cars that drive themselves. And when people try to use the "old-fashioned" vehicles and get in an accident, the first thing they'll hear from the cops will be, "Well, why did you try to drive yourself? You should have been watching the advertisements!"

Yes, that is our future. Treks across the country that end up being eight-hour commercial breaks. God help us.

Starry Might
19th April 2006, 02:19 PM
If a new idea from Philips catches on, the company may not be very popular with TV viewers. The company's labs in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, has been cooking up a way to stop people changing channels to avoid adverts or fast forwarding through ads they have recorded along with their target programme.
What the heck? That's not cool. :notfunny:

Our DishNetwork box has a PVR recording feature, and my parents like to record shows and watch them later so that we can skip the ads.

I showed this to my Mom, and she said "They better not!"

I dunno if we own anything from Phillips, though. (*SHRUGS*)

SupremeChampion
19th April 2006, 04:13 PM
[i]wow, just wow. the fact that anyone would even attempt to do this is amazing. i wonder if they'll diable the "power" button, as well, preventing people from turning off their tv. and if they'll build the tv with a plexi-glass screen so no remotes can be thrown threw them once it is discovered the channel cannot be changed or the tv turned off. i understand how desperate people are to get us to watch their commecials, but philips is taking this a little too far. thankfully we own nothing philips, and i'll make sure to tell me parents not to buy a philips tv unless they feel like being forced to watch commericals.

~The Italian Stallion

Dark Dragonite
19th April 2006, 04:54 PM
1) Sony is, and has been better for ages...they put out pretty much anything electronic...
2)IPod is the best MP3 player...there's just more stuff out there for it...
3)Phillips will lose customers...AGAIN
4)Hopefully, they get run out of business, and learn from stupidity.

Heald
19th April 2006, 05:07 PM
2)IPod is the best MP3 player...there's just more stuff out there for it...Shame Apple are copyright Nazis and make it extra hard for people to put anything on their iPod that hasn't been downloaded from iTunes. Also, iDocks and all that other crap are just glorified speakers that cost four times more. Also, their batteries die after like a year, usually just after the warranty runs out. Hardly the best at all, actually.

Blademaster
19th April 2006, 05:16 PM
They're gonna force commercial breaks? Is that what you're telling me?

Like Hell they are! If anything will get this country's lazy-ass population up and protesting, this will. People will be rioting in the streets, I can feel it already... The whole company will fall under a hail of Molotov cocktails and cinderblocks... Hundreds of employees will be pummeled mercilessly, the cops will show up and of course do nothing but **** up the situation even more...

Aye aye aye aye aye... what is the world coming to? I ask you, what? Has anyone here ever understood any commercials? Has anyone here ever gotten the correlation between jumping off the Grand Canyon and a slightly larger car? Does anyone truly believe that beer attracts supermodels? Can anyone at all attest to the fact that it's been scientifically proven that eating a hamburger will cause you to breathe fire? Can a 20" pizza with 3 toppings satisfy King Kong's appetite?

I don't understand these advertisements at all! Is it me - am I the only one who doesn't understand?

Whenever I see a mob rioting, I support the mob; thousands of people tearing down this retarded, Communist company with their bare hands is gonna be no exception, believe you me...

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!

Dark Dragonite
19th April 2006, 05:16 PM
Shame Apple are copyright Nazis and make it extra hard for people to put anything on their iPod that hasn't been downloaded from iTunes. Also, iDocks and all that other crap are just glorified speakers that cost four times more. Also, their batteries die after like a year, usually just after the warranty runs out. Hardly the best at all, actually.

Actually, I paid $25 extra for a 3yr warranty...so battery is covered...I meant more in the means of hooking up the mp3 player to the car, seeing music videos, all the good stuff...oh, and I dl stuff from soul seek, and I have no trouble importing, neither do the other Ipod owners I know, and they own the colored ones(Nano?) and I own the 30Gig video playing one.

To import...all you do is in Itunes, I guess it's under file, I haven't gotten anything new in a bit, and click import music, then you can throw your whole friggan music folder in there, simple...

Metallixs Girl
19th April 2006, 07:59 PM
1) Sony is, and has been better for ages...they put out pretty much anything electronic...
2)IPod is the best MP3 player...there's just more stuff out there for it...
3)Phillips will lose customers...AGAIN
4)Hopefully, they get run out of business, and learn from stupidity.

I don't really trust Sony's Electronics...I dunno why, but I don't like anything of theirs except the Video game consoles. I got a Sanyo TV.

Creative is the best MP3 player. :p I got a 20GB Creative Zen Touch, the sound is fantastic, naturally. If I ever feel the urge for videos and pictures than the Zen Vision it will be. :D

Dark Dragonite
19th April 2006, 09:32 PM
I have 30Gig on my ipod, the videos are amazing, the music sounds great...and loud...louder than I used to listen to it, lol...
I have a Sony 60" tv, Sony Vaio desktop computer, just bought myself the Sony Vaio Notebook, which, I haven't had ANY problems with either, screw HP and especially screw Dell(which uses used hard drives...hence all the problems), I have a sony digital Camera, Sony Cam corder...you get the picture, lol
They've been around a good while, they produce quality products, I'll pay more, to get more..."You get what you pay for", hence why those ten cent goldfish die in 3hrs, and a Betta(Siamese Fighting Fish) lasts years...

Metallixs Girl
19th April 2006, 09:42 PM
I have 30Gig on my ipod, the videos are amazing, the music sounds great...and loud...louder than I used to listen to it, lol...
I have a Sony 60" tv, Sony Vaio desktop computer, just bought myself the Sony Vaio Notebook, which, I haven't had ANY problems with either, screw HP and especially screw Dell(which uses used hard drives...hence all the problems), I have a sony digital Camera, Sony Cam corder...you get the picture, lol
They've been around a good while, they produce quality products, I'll pay more, to get more..."You get what you pay for", hence why those ten cent goldfish die in 3hrs, and a Betta(Siamese Fighting Fish) lasts years...

Creative is like a GAURENTEE for fantastic sound, my MP3 player's battery lasts for 24 hours before it needs charging. I don't even NEED 20GB of space for music, but I'll use it for Data Storage and Transfer instead.

The only computers we use are Dells, and mine never has problems, not even a BSOD since my dad gave it to me.

I have a Sony Handycam, but it's software, Pixela, isn't the best. It does have great video quality, I'll give them that.

I suppose Sony can be in the running for my next TV but Zen is still better than Ipod. ;)

Dark Dragonite
19th April 2006, 09:45 PM
Lol, I have stock speakers in my Hyundai...you would think they weren't too good, when I hook up the D-Lo car adapter, people around me have almost gotten into accidents with my music blasting, and you can actually understand the lyrics, Bwahahahahaha...

Metallixs Girl
19th April 2006, 09:50 PM
Lol, I have stock speakers in my Hyundai...you would think they weren't too good, when I hook up the D-Lo car adapter, people around me have almost gotten into accidents with my music blasting, and you can actually understand the lyrics, Bwahahahahaha...

Stock Speakers for what, Ipod?

phaedrus
19th April 2006, 09:52 PM
it'll probably end up in the supreme court and get resolved. no worries

Dark Dragonite
19th April 2006, 10:50 PM
Stock Speakers for what, Ipod?

no, in my car, I haven't gotten the docking station yet, but I will say the headphones are great, expensive to replace, but great, lol

Master of Paradox
20th April 2006, 07:25 AM
Well, there's an excuse for me to watch even less TV than I usually do... (Usual time watching television: maybe two hours a day - if that.)

Dark-San
20th April 2006, 08:51 AM
[b][size=3] We are talking about commericials in DVDs not another epic 'Creative against Apple' battle. I've a total of 3 television sets in the house alone, two from Philips and one from Toshiba.

The Philips are giving me the problem, having to send them in for repairs quite frequently.

Dark Dragonite
20th April 2006, 08:58 AM
Not in DVDs, on actual TV, and DVRs

phaedrus
20th April 2006, 03:14 PM
the easiest thing to do is....

1) not whine about it
2) not buy Philips

if you stop buying Philips, they'll remove it. it's not that hard.

PancaKe
21st April 2006, 02:12 AM
Hmm...

I dont own anything phillips.
but knowing Australia, this kind of technology would take quite a while to reach here.
Maybe we can just be secluded from the whole world and ignore the technology!

Hmm oh well.
It's a dumb idea.

As for Ipods, I love using Itunes. But for the actual ipod? It's really in bad shape. I should do something about replacing it/asking for it to be replaced for my 18th...

Syberia
30th April 2006, 09:03 PM
Shame Apple are copyright Nazis and make it extra hard for people to put anything on their iPod that hasn't been downloaded from iTunes.
What are you smoking? I've never downloaded a thing from iTunes, yet my iPod is happily filled with just over 25 gigs of my favorite music, movies, and TV shows.

Hatake Kakashi
1st May 2006, 08:22 PM
I have a shuffle, dude.

It's a freaking whore getting things from my music folders into the itunes playlist.

the easiest thing to do is....

1) not whine about it
2) not buy Philips

if you stop buying Philips, they'll remove it. it's not that hard.
Goddamnit no. This won't help ANYTHING.

If anything, it'll just make matters worse.

I really can't stress this enough. Sitting on your ass and avoiding/ignoring the problem will not make it go away. 300 people not buying a Philips TV is NOT gonna hurt all that much considering they've got thousands more buying in your place.

Crystal Mew
1st May 2006, 11:18 PM
thats the most retarded thing I've ever heard of. I hope they dont do this, it'll be very annoying. why should we have to sit through commercials? stupid...

and as for sony, I have a sony tv, and a sony cd player. I've had my portable cd player for about 5 years, and it doesnt look like its about to die anytime soon :) I think sony is the best for electronic things

Chris
3rd May 2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say that even if Philips do this and no-one tries to stop them, it will be circumvented pretty quickly. "Secret patents" stay uncracked for around two weeks in this era.

phaedrus
6th May 2006, 06:53 PM
Goddamnit no. This won't help ANYTHING.

If anything, it'll just make matters worse.

I really can't stress this enough. Sitting on your ass and avoiding/ignoring the problem will not make it go away. 300 people not buying a Philips TV is NOT gonna hurt all that much considering they've got thousands more buying in your place.

whoever doesn't buy this tv doesn't have to deal with the problem. why worry about other people when only you care about yourself? do people really care about the welfare of others? no, especially when it doesn't benefit yourself. assuming you are a rational being (from what i've seen, you don't seem to be), and do not like the new Philips, you won't buy it. it's as simple as that.

either way, if people stop buying it, Philips will have to change their products, or else they'll lose all their business and shut down. it's economics 101.

is it so fucking hard to understand?

Magmar
6th May 2006, 11:46 PM
si. en otra lengua, por favor.

Screw Philips! (Pun intended!)

Chris
7th May 2006, 04:25 AM
either way, if people stop buying it, Philips will have to change their products, or else they'll lose all their business and shut down. it's economics 101.

is it so fucking hard to understand?

The problem with that is, the apathetic majority are still going to buy the TVs. The outraged minority are still a minority, and Philips know it. I'm sure they've thought long and hard about this in terms of economics.

Crazy
7th May 2006, 12:15 PM
That's just wrong. I'm sure that this breaks some law. It'd better. :mad: DAMN THEM!

phaedrus
7th May 2006, 04:01 PM
The problem with that is, the apathetic majority are still going to buy the TVs. The outraged minority are still a minority, and Philips know it. I'm sure they've thought long and hard about this in terms of economics.

there are at least a billion more brands of tvs out there. hell, import one if need be.