PDA

View Full Version : *~ THE RPG NEWS ~*

Bulbasaur4
24th April 2006, 03:55 PM
The RPG News
Edition 1[color=royalblue]

[b][u]Introduction[color=royalblue][font=tahoma]

Welcome to the official RPG News topic! I am proud to announce that this is the first edition of the RPG news and I am extremely excited to bring the News to all the RPers. Firstly, I would like to state that this is what I’m calling “rough” news… as in that it is imperfect and should not be expected to be perfect- but just a fun read. The purpose of the RPG News is to give RPers a chance to read what is happening in the forums, read a few help articles, voice their opinions, show off their talent and get the inside scoop to various things. Since this is the very first RPG edition, most of the sections will give more of a summary of what they are, so that in further editions you will understand what to do or what the section is used for. I highly encourage all the RPers to read the news and to submit their own articles and RPG-related stuffs! Read further to understand more about this!
Oh, and usually each edition will have a ‘theme’. This is the fun part of making the news… but sadly, for this edition I have applied no theme. This is due to the fact that this is the first edition and is supposed to be an ‘intro’ edition.

[u]
News & Updates

[font=tahoma]
There have been many new things happening to the forum as of late! While it seems that a few RPGs have been running a bit slow as of late… the RPG ASB has officially launched into the Beta Testing phase. A few members have been selected to try out this Beta Testing phase, and things seem to be working extremely well as of now. Don’t worry though… everyone else will be allowed to join in the fun in a few weeks. The Beta Testing is necessary so that any kinks in the system can be sorted out without any major damage. I am pleased to say that it things are going along well and I eagerly wait when Beta Testing is over and everyone leaps into the sub forum.
As for other news, Roy Karrde has also started the Winter RPG Awards. I encourage everyone to check out the topic located in the RPG Lounge and make sure to cast your own votes/nominations! The awards just don’t… umm… vote for themselves yah know… erm… yeah!
In other News, I would like to also state that RPG Archiving is going well. Make sure to put your Archive requests into the topic located in the RPG Lounge so that your favorite RPG stays around for a long time. Also, if you get bored… take a look at the RPG Talkback, RPG Music or RPG Fan Art topics as well. Even if you’re not great at music, drawing or… “talking back”… make an attempt! No harm shall come of any RPer just trying to have fun… and if harm does come… I’ll bash whoever did it with a stick! 
Anyway, so many new things have been happening… its hard to mention them all here. So be sure to glance around the two sub forums and the main forum to get your fill! Lots of new things are popping up everywhere so be sure to keep on the lookout!

[b][u][size=3]
Main Article

[color=red][font=tahoma]
In Spirit of the new sub forum… ASB RPG…
THE RPG SIDE OF ASB

So, you might have been glancing at the ASB RPG topics and you might have even been browsing through a few of the posts. If you’ve ever ASBed before, you could possibly be wondering how this RPG sub forum could be any different from regular ASB. Well, let’s take a look at a few of the differences.
Firstly, the Legends topic is the first give away. With every action you take with the bank, the market, wild pokemon battles and such… the moderators and those who run the ASBRPG sub forum highly encourage that you post a detailed RPG-quality post in the Legends topic. While it isn’t directly required… the more you post in the topic, the more respected you will become within ASBRPG and the more benefits you could (or may) receive. A moderator or a ref who notices high-quality posts in this topic will perhaps consider you more respected and dedicated than someone who just goes about and does not post. Quality posting is very important because it helps define the ASBRPG from the ASB.
Personally, I also believe another difference should be creativity. While creative strategy is highly evident in ASB, in the ASBRPG I believe that creativity should be applied to writing as well. Even perhaps in regular posts, make sure that you put effort into your posts and creativity. Refs will be full of creativity when reffing your battle, so creativity in return is well taken. As a ref myself, I will regard creativity in battles as a very high aspect in winning and a person who is creative will be more apt to win than a person who blatantly does not apply themselves with creativity. So, just helpful hint- creativity is a key!
Lastly, make sure to regard the entire sub forum as a story rather than a game. While there are many players, the ASBRPG is a large continuous plotline more than it is a bunch of numbers. Battle numbers are loosely regarded compared to the writing aspects. Think of this entire project as a large pokemon RPG rather than a game where it is all about winning or losing.
Oh… and of course, like always- HAVE FUN! This sub forum is for your pure enjoyment so make sure to have fun! Just try to keep in mind of the differences and this whole experience will go very well.

[u][size=3]

Guest Article[font=tahoma]

YAY! The Guest Article section! This section is fully dedicated to RPers who submit an article to me for the News. The article can be anything as long as it is related to RPGs (obviously). It can be a helpful guide, an opinion piece, an idea… anything. Just keep it tactful and try not to rant. You can submit as many articles as you want… just keep in mind that I will try to get an even amount of people into the Guest Article. Don’t worry- if you submit an article, it WILL eventually get put here. I just have to cycle through everyone… and more than likely, there will be more than one guest article at a time. You will get full credit as well.
Oh, and if I happen to read the article and I find a few things wrong or I find a few things that need changing, I will let you know so you can promptly change it.

So please! Submit your articles!

So anyways… the RPG article for this week is….
Nothing.
I was going to get an article from Doomy McDoomdoom *ahem* but apparently this RPer is too busy. *sticks out tongue* Actually I just was impatient and posted this before I received one. But next edition I hope to have a few!

[u][size=3]

Variety

[size=2]
QUESTION AND ANSWER[font=tahoma]
Q&A is a neat thing I thought would be fun to have in the variety section. This is where an RPer can submit a question to me or one of the moderators, and they will answer them. I will have a section dedicated to Tsukasa, Roy Karrde and myself. Just PM me your questions, who they are directed towards (you can direct the question to all of us) and they will answer your question in the next RPG edition. Now obviously, these questions can be anything RP-related. You can ask our opinions about certain matters of the RPG forums themselves, matters on RPing in general, character-making and what-not… be creative and inventive! You can ask as many questions as you want.
Remember, submit the questions to me first, labeled and such. You can choose if you want your name given in the RPG news or not as well.
[We currently don’t have questions, obviously]

[size=2]

RPG OF THE EDITION
[color=silver][font=tahoma][size=1][I will pick an RPG for every edition, to be the RPG of the Edition. ]

W.O.O.H.P Spy Training School: The Sequel
By. MascaraTears[font=tahoma]

This RPG has been popular enough to have a growing sequel. The plot is much like the first, except of course, for the fact that new recruits will join the older student members. A recruit is sent a letter from the school, formally inviting the student to join this prestigious school to help train them to hone their abilities or talents to help save the world (or whatever needs to be saved of course). Of course, this being that it is school… anything could happen. And that of course, makes this RPG all the more fun. ^_^

Quote – "This is Alex, my british best friend." I nudged her with my elbow. "Don't talk in a british accent or she'll hurt you." She slapped my arm. "Same place every time!" I whimpered.
~ Roxanne, by. Pokemonluver

[size=2]
RPG-related FANDOM OF THE EDITION

[color=red][font=tahoma][ You can submit your RPG-related fan pieces to me and they will be up for this spot in the News. If I receive no pieces via PM, then I will simply pick something.]

Click Here (http://photobucket.com/albums/y157/jingleweasel/?action=view&current=scan0002.jpg)
~ Morrigan, By. Weasel Overlord

[size=2]

RPer of the Edition
[N’uff said.]

[color=grey][font=tahoma]
Plantae

- The reason I chose Plantae this edition, was because of his dedication to helping the moderators with the new and upcoming RPG editions, while also maintaining his quality posts and dedication to his RPGs. He’s also a handy record keeper. ^_^ - [color=royalblue]

Well, that's it for the RPG News for this edition! Make sure to submit, submit and submit!

~ Jai

Roy Karrde
24th May 2006, 08:54 PM
The RPG News
Edition 2

Editors Note: If the Coding looks off it is becuase it is copied over from the old board. Try to bare with us as we fix it.

Introduction

Welcome to the second edition of RPG News! I apologize for taking so long in posting this, but work and school has seemed to bog all of us down. Anyway to prepare I have a variety of topics that I hope to cover in this article as we prepare for the Summer Spectacular!

[u]
News & Updates

[font=tahoma]
Well there has been much activity happening of late, which is truly a great thing to see. The start of the RPG Tournament is coming up soon, and it will be awesome to see that thing get up off the ground and bring back a great event of the olden days. ASB RPG is finally off the ground too, and from the looks of it, it will be a resounding success! We had almost ninety posts in the Wild Battle topic in less than three days, and I can say that we were all shocked and pleased at how well this has taken off. All thanks to all of you who have helped make ASB RPG what it is now.

I would like to announce that this weekend will be the start of the Summer Beach Party, which should be quite entertaining since the last party went off pretty well. Just remember to bring your sunscreen! Also we will be having our very first event this weekend in the ASB RPG, which will be elaborated on more below.

[b][u][size=3]
Main Article
[color=red][font=tahoma]
Fun in the Sun!
The Summer Beach Party
It’s time for fun in the sun, beach balls, and bikinis, which can only mean one thing! It’s summer time and it’s time for all of us to par-tay! Starting this weekend at a secluded beach, everyone is invited to bring your favorite RPG character and enjoy the beautiful sun and crack open a cold one as we all relax on the beach. Just be warned to keep the alcohol out of view of all of Kalah’s characters! Knowing her she will either horde it or steal it away from you. During the party we will have a Vollyball contest, slides to enjoy as you rush into the shore, along with seashells and a cook out!

So prepare for all that and fireworks, and who knows, even more! As we welcome in summer in style with super soakers and hot dogs and hamburgers. To make this the greatest beach party of all time!

[u][size=3]

Guest Article: Black.Ops
Coming back to the RPG Forum[font=tahoma]

It’s been quite a while since my introduction to TPM. My first encounter with it was around 2000. It was a reliable site for pokemon info, but not much use beyond that. I essentially forgot about it for two years.

In January 2003, I rediscovered the site and signed up as an official member. My particular interests were the RPG and Misc. forums, due to their particularly interactive nature. I joined RPGs in droves, and was sufficiently without a life to participate in them all. Many days I would simply sit by the monitor, clicking the “refresh” button in the hopes of seeing a new post. I needed some elemental guidance in my overenthusiasm, and the elder Rpers were happy to supply it.

As time went by, the forum ebbed and flowed. Times changed, people grew up and moved on, and new Rpers came to take their place. I took a hiatus from the forum, for personal and academic reasons. Eventually, I returned, but the forums were not as I remembered – I only vaguely recognized some names. Most of the Rpers were either old ones who’d had name changes, or new ones whom had begun to pop up when I left. And things weren’t nearly as active before. At one point, Mike actually came up with new forums on his site to sustain Rpers – they were by and large a flop, but that was irrelevant (I actually checked the forum not too long ago, and it had been hacked – amusing, but rather disconcerting to see a piece of TPM history lost). And so I left again.

Fast-forward to 2006. I returned to forums that seemed determined to thrive. During my sabbatical, I had heard gossip about mods, deletions, additions, and other things relevant to this beloved forum. Now I could see, with my own eyes, what had happened during my absence, and I was impressed. The renovation machine was just starting to whirr to life, but I could tell that, even if only a fourth of the plans were realized, RPG stood a good chance of not just survival, but revival.

The forum will never have that cozy feeling that it did back in the days of my newbhood. Too many people have left or changed, including myself. But there is a promise of good experiences to be had by future newcomers. I know I cherish my own RPG forum memories.
[u][size=3]

Variety

[u][size=3]
ASB RPG Article
[color=red][font=tahoma]
Trouble is on the Rise
CS Strikes!
Everyone should be warned about the shady characters that have been seen near Diruntha. Reports are starting to come in that the dastardly CS is preparing to strike at Diruntha starting this weekend in a series of attacks to steal a precious statue that could be used to raise a Legendary Pokemon! Anyone near Diruntha or that is heading to Diruntha is to engage any CS member on sight via the NPC Battle system, and that if they do win they will automatically receive a special TM for their hard work. Thank you to everyone and be careful starting this weekend.
[size=2]

RPG OF THE EDITION[color=silver][font=tahoma][size=1][I will pick an RPG for every edition, to be the RPG of the Edition. ]

Kingdom Heartless
By. Crystal Tears[font=tahoma]
Taking the opportunity and riding the wave of popularity of Kingdom Hearts 2, Crystal Tears did not just make a RPG based on Kingdom Hearts 2. She made a compelling, thriving, RPG that reflects her own unique style, and has gained mass popularity in the last few weeks. The story is well thought out and enjoyable, and the characters such as the Keyblade wilding Silver is unique in his own right. This RPG is one to keep a eye on in the next few weeks as it continues to expand and grow in greatness, and story depth.

[size=2]

RPer of the Edition
[N’uff said.]
[color=grey][font=tahoma]
Bulbasaur4

- The Reason I choose Bulbasaur4 for this edition, is that for countless years she has provided a thankless job as she moderated the RPG forum. I believe each of us can remember a RPG in which we have been in or created in which Bulbasaur has made a unique or compelling character for. In the past few months she has been criticized for not being as active as she was in the past. Yet let us all remember that we most likely would not have a RPG forum, if it wasn’t for her drive and hard work. So for this edition I would like to thank Bulbasaur4 as the Rper of the Edition.[color=royalblue]

~ Bai

Roy Karrde
30th March 2007, 09:15 PM
The RPG News
Edition 3

Introduction

And so begins the third issue of RPG News, covering some of the major events coming this Spring to the RPG Forum.

News & Updates

Spring is here in full force and so are the ideas of the last chat, the following stories will cover a few of them, some that are worthy of mentioning is a brand new RPG Tournament! A new Spring Break Party! And a whole new style of RPGing just around the corner!

Main Article

It’s a Whole New Way to RP
One of the most interesting things to come out of the latest chat was something that almost no one saw. The idea was brought up by Outlaw JT in a near midnight chat for a new type of RPG that would be like nothing this forum has seen. Instead of creating your own character and posting for that character, you and the others come up with a setting and a set of characters based on the overall feel for the RPG. It is then up to you and the other posters to write entries for the RPG, not just for that character but entries that effect the whole group.

In a sense one person begins the story, another continues it, and then another, and another, in a round robin type format where each new post could take the story in unforeseen twists and turns. It is then up to you as a RPGer to adapt to what the last poster has posted and continue on with the story. Frankly I am very excited about this and I hope that the others on this forum will be too as this new style will premiere soon for those to try.

Variety

Upcoming Events

Mark these down on Your Calender!
Saturday – March 31th 2007 – Bulbasaur’s RPG Chat
April – RPG Tournament
April – Choose Your Own RPG * Placeholder Name *
April – Spring Break Beach Party
May – RPG Spring Awards

RPG OF THE EDITION
[I will pick an RPG for every edition, to be the RPG of the Edition. ]

Naruto: The Hidden Curse
By. Bulbasaur4

[center]A RPG Created by Bulbasaur4’s devout obsession with Naruto makes what could have been a normal anime based RPG, something that is bold and interesting. The very energy and creativity begun by it’s creator has snowballed and been picked up by others to create memorable scenes, extraordinary characters, and a RPG that could be around for a very long time. This is one RPG to check out.

RP'er of the Edition

No RPer of the Edition this week.

Editors Note…

I have seen a lot of people worried about the lack of activity this week through out the forum. I would suggest that people waiting for others to post to go on and try to post, don’t sit around and wait for others. Go out and try to put more energy into your RPG. That is all, next week the news will be brought to you by either Bulbasaur4 or Weasel!