PDA

View Full Version : Gorillaz

Andrew
25th April 2006, 07:29 AM
So what do you think of the 'Virtual Band" which were created as satire essentially...

I think they've moved past that and become somewhat rather commercialiazed...

My favourite Gorillaz is Noodle after her makeover. However, after watching her demise in their latest filmclip is kind of sad. RIP Noodle =(

Favourite Gorillaz Songs are - DARE and 19-2001 (Soul Wax Remix).

Sceptile_Master
25th April 2006, 08:58 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of them but I personally would be pissed off if I went to see them live and they were fucking holograms or dressed in over large suits or something. But if I'm not mistaken isn't Damon Albarn quitting gorillaz to start up blur again?

Heald
25th April 2006, 09:07 AM
Actually they did play live and they were holograms and apparently it was awesome.

jumpluff
26th April 2006, 12:08 AM
clint eastwood and dare were the best. 19 - 2001 and feel good inc. are alright too. I don't like their other stuff.

Sceptile_Master
26th April 2006, 08:45 PM
Actually they did play live and they were holograms and apparently it was awesome.

Not saying it would really make the performances worse but if went to see them I'd go to see them play not hide behind screens. It's live, it should be warts and all.

Ultimate Charizard
30th April 2006, 01:49 PM
Im not sure they are a set band.
Albarn does the Writing/Vocals and theres a guy that does the Animation etc but i think for the music its just a bunch of proffesional musicians, like the guys that do the music for Boybands. (Where do you think the Music comes from when the band is made up of 5 singers.

The same went for Busted. 3 Band Members all on Lead Guitar...WTF was on the Bass and Drums?

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
2nd May 2006, 05:57 AM
Not saying it would really make the performances worse but if went to see them I'd go to see them play not hide behind screens. It's live, it should be warts and all.

Personally I find it very original to put such an act onto the stage. After all in their videos they always appear as cartoons (at least in those I've seen) and so it keeps it mysterious for a general audience. I like the idea, but I understand your point.

Andrew
2nd May 2006, 07:07 AM
I downloaded the Gorillaz Live performance, it's ok for the music, but I kind of also enjoy the antics of the cartoon characters. Murdoch & 2D Make a cameo. But I love Noodle. Does anyone like Russel?

The Dare performance life with Shaun Rider is hillarious. He staggers around, slurs his words, is completely out of time with the music. The last 3rd of the performance he's trying to get his fags out of his pocket for a smoke. Noodles VA takes it off him and he yells 'NOT YOURS!" as he retards "EETTTS THERE!"

Sceptile_Master
2nd May 2006, 09:27 AM
I watched the performance they did /o cartoons in manchester on my mates DVD he has of it and shaun Ryder was obviously absolutely off his nut. HE had definetely had a few snorts or something before he came on. That girl who was singing did a great job and ryder was there slurring out "eieiieuiitttt's thaeoar" and trying to light some fags while doing it. He crapped things up but it was funny.

On the set band thing here's is a site with all the people who have contributed to the gorlliaz project. Yes, it's treated as a project apparently. Sounds about right I suppose.

Oh wait I can't find it. I'll post it when I can find it though.

Gengachu
2nd May 2006, 07:47 PM
Im not sure they are a set band.
Albarn does the Writing/Vocals and theres a guy that does the Animation etc but i think for the music its just a bunch of proffesional musicians, like the guys that do the music for Boybands. (Where do you think the Music comes from when the band is made up of 5 singers.

The same went for Busted. 3 Band Members all on Lead Guitar...WTF was on the Bass and Drums?
I'm pretty sure the producers have a lot to do with that. Give Dan the Automator (on the S/T) and Danger Mouse (I think on Demon Days, but I could be wrong) the props they deserve. They're largely responsible for the songs. I'm sure Damon does most of the writing, but they probably do most of the fleshing out. And it's not like people can't overdub them playing more than one instrument. Damon could do one take on keyboards and then go to guitar. This isn't the dark ages where everything is recorded live in the studio.

I totally love the Gorillaz. I have everything they've released except the recent singles.