PDA

View Full Version : Debate: Donating to TPM, and other various things.

jumpluff
26th April 2006, 12:20 AM
Alright, let's be serious now. A question for the donators. Let's have some fun even though this topic is probably going to get removed, for whatever reason.

Why did you donate in the first place? Really, I am curious to know. This forum is practically dead. The administration team scared off all the fun members -- I would have glady donated if Chris never used his personal vendetta excuse to banish me -- which therefore makes this forum less than worthwhile to visit compared to others. Yeah, basically, after all the fun members were banned, this forum is no longer worth it. Why did you not donate to a charity instead? Somebody who could use the money? TPM is fine without donations; I'm not sure who it goes to, but I'd assume Kevin, who could give half a shit about this place nowadays. If you want your money to go to somebody who would spend it on alcohol and other various goods which do not relate to the upkeep of the forum/site, then I really want to know why.

Debatably, SPPf is a bit better if you disregard their awful moderating team. This team is pretty bad too; TPM has rule threads which have been unmodified since 2002. Isn't that saying something? I think the PCG rules were only minorly changed in 2004; now, I made that PCG rules thread with some assistance from the other PCG moderators at that time, which I had made specifically for that period of time when this forum had an influx of members. Why have they not been changed to be more lenient? Laziness is not an excuse.

SPPf = Immature members, bad staff team who thinks power on a pokemon forum is their way of life.
TPM = Lazy, can't be bothered changing rules which were made YEARS ago. Moderating team too caught up on SPAM, and rejects anybody they dislike from posting here (last point somewhat applies to SPPf too).

Before somebody asks why I'm posting then if I feel it's not worth it, I have my reasons. Mainly because I want something to be changed, and even though you may think I'm skeptic as well as "untrustworthy", I'm telling you for the good of the forums. I also think it's cute how whenever I post something you -- the members -- do not agree with, you complain about why I'm not banned yet. Isn't that funny? What aggravates you so much to say such? The world is opinionated, unlike these forums, where you -- staff members -- only seem to "keep" members based on who YOU like and who YOU want to post here.

The SPAM rule is something that needs to be made more lenient; I was surprised I was banned for SPAM and not 'harassment' on my prior account "devastation." I can direct you to the PCG and AC/CC forum, which has one word posts and a whole lot more. You'd have a thrill ride banning members for SPAM there if you're going to ban me based on opinions which you do not personally agree with.

Thoughts? I'm very curious to find out your opinions on the whole ordeal!

- "Jay"

Edit: What happened to how Miscellaneous Discussion used to be? This entire forum is flooded with "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" topics. Posting in them was to only show the moderating team how asinine it is to have half of every page filled with such topics, yet you ban me for spamming those topics instead. Very hypocritical and unprofessional.

Roy Karrde
26th April 2006, 12:36 AM
Well my obvious reaction is why should we believe in your vision of the good of this forum when you just finished spamming it up just a few days prior? Yet if you really want it to change, why keep creating these accounts. Change it from the outside instead of coming in and ranting about it being dead. As for why I donated when the forum went down? I love this fourm, I have alot of great memories on it. If I could do something to help it, to keep it alive, I would. Yet if your vision of keeping it alive and fun is to allow the 'fun people' back in, the people that would spam the forum and make it a living hell for some people as you did a few nights ago. Well I would rather abandon the forum than have it turn into a mochary of itself.

jumpluff
26th April 2006, 12:41 AM
It all depends what you believe "SPAM" is. Define it for me, since it varies between people. I can simply say most posts here create SPAM, since it fits the definition for me well (stupid, pointless, annoying); understandably, you could feel the same way towards my posts. But then again, you can't please everybody with your posts. Somebody is always bound to hate you and the way you post, even you. Although... This is something I figured we all would have grown out of years ago.

Define SPAM for me and I shall continue (granted Andrew does not come and invade the show). Short posts containing only a few words? Argumentative/trollish posts? Posts that irritate you? All of them? Enlighten me.

Hatake Kakashi
26th April 2006, 12:42 AM
I actually agree.

A lot of the moderators and Super Moderators do not deserve their titles. Yet they stay because no attempt has been made to shake anything up. No one has done anything to change how TPM works. None of the forums are being altered. Moderators who do nothing in an inactive forum are pretty much safe. Got modded in RBY? Post once a year and you're safe. What about TCG? Well now that the Pokemon TCG is pretty much dead you pretty much just sit back and enjoy your stay.

SPP isn't much better in the moderator respect. It's actually worse there because, while they're a bit more active, they've also got people who pretty much worship them. You say a bad word or get angry? "Oooh the mods gonna yell at you!"

Be a man. Tell me to fuck off. Don't tell me "D: THE MODS COMING 4 U"
This is why I spend my days at Penny Arcade. Someones a dick to you? Tell 'em to fuck off. It gets out of hand? THEN the mod steps in and tells you both to cool it.

jumpluff
26th April 2006, 12:46 AM
I moderate many forums, and even though I have an attitude I know when to take a joke and don't immediately warn people for slipping up, or simply because I don't like them. Something like that would warrant a demotion on any seriously run forum.

Only thing I hate about the SPPf team is that most of them seriously do not have anything better to do than get off on banning/warning people they hate. Worst of all, the owner of the site and forums doesn't care. One of the admins -- regardless of my past there -- actually listened to me and took into account many of my thoughts about the team and the forums in general. No higher up from TPM will do that, even though my past here isn't as bad as SPPf; most people there know I'm renowned for being the 'asshole moderator' that went on a personal vendetta on the forums many years ago when I was still immature, dare I say. I have no idea why the staff here is holding grudges against people who made the place fun and brought life to the forums.

Roy Karrde
26th April 2006, 12:52 AM
I would say that SPAM is basically what you have done under your last name, and if history proves me correct, what you have done in the past. That being coming into a topic, posting something that is three or four words that is completely off the topic, or not required by the topic. These posts as I believe are only designed to piss off people and flood the forum due to their complete stupidity. They also do nothing to serve the topics they are posted in. Now I'm a mod of the RPG Forum and some times come into Misc, I'm not a Misc mod and thus my view of Spam should and will differ from theirs. Yet I know that I don't want to see any more of the crap you posted a few nights ago. If you want TPM to die, to truely die, bring back posts like those you flooded Misc with, and the forum will die very very quickly.

Hatake Kakashi
26th April 2006, 12:57 AM
most people there know I'm renowned for being the 'asshole moderator' that went on a personal vendetta on the forums many years ago when I was still immature, dare I say.
Funny, that's me here at TPM.

mr_pikachu
26th April 2006, 01:01 AM
To be frank, while I can't speak for all of the TPM staff, I don't mind some debate about the rules of TPM. As many of the members here know, the current rules of PCG were a result of member debate and discussion. Further, the RPG forum recently had a change of moderators, and this was largely due to a petition filed by some of the members about their dissatisfaction with the situation at the time.

However, what I do mind is posts that have no purpose other than to inflame passions and aggravate members. If you'd like to have a real discussion about the policies of TPM, then I really don't think there would be much of a problem. If you want to flame people (which would be stupid, pointless, and annoying), then I would suggest visiting another forum.

Zak
26th April 2006, 01:43 AM
Alright, let's be serious now. A question for the donators. Let's have some fun even though this topic is probably going to get removed, for whatever reason.

~You may be, but since your actually bringing up points I might as well argue them than just close this topic, and I don't know how serious you are, but this'll be fun.

Why did you donate in the first place? Really, I am curious to know. This forum is practically dead. The administration team scared off all the fun members -- I would have glady donated if Chris never used his personal vendetta excuse to banish me -- which therefore makes this forum less than worthwhile to visit compared to others. Yeah, basically, after all the fun members were banned, this forum is no longer worth it. Why did you not donate to a charity instead? Somebody who could use the money? TPM is fine without donations; I'm not sure who it goes to, but I'd assume Kevin, who could give half a shit about this place nowadays. If you want your money to go to somebody who would spend it on alcohol and other various goods which do not relate to the upkeep of the forum/site, then I really want to know why.

~Why was Kevin begging for donations in the first place? For all you know by saying we shouldn't donate, you're saying we shouldn't do a favor Kevin was asking, and last time I checked you didn't have any qualms with him. But if you do, then touche.

Debatably, SPPf is a bit better if you disregard their awful moderating team. This team is pretty bad too; TPM has rule threads which have been unmodified since 2002. Isn't that saying something? I think the PCG rules were only minorly changed in 2004; now, I made that PCG rules thread with some assistance from the other PCG moderators at that time, which I had made specifically for that period of time when this forum had an influx of members. Why have they not been changed to be more lenient? Laziness is not an excuse.

I dunno if you noticed but occasionally due to the lack of activity sometimes breaking a rule seems to go unnoticed due to it not directly harming the board. Of course something would be done if it was noticed, unless it was too late. And by the way, PCG's tag rule doesn't matter as much anymore, but then again I don't know whether you were here to be aware of that. However, whether you even care is another matter.

SPPf = Immature members, bad staff team who thinks power on a pokemon forum is their way of life.

~Touche.

TPM = Lazy, can't be bothered changing rules which were made YEARS ago. Moderating team too caught up on SPAM, and rejects anybody they dislike from posting here (last point somewhat applies to SPPf too).

~See above, and as for banning people they dislike, maybe if you acted normally like you're acting now in this topic people wouldn't be after you. But when you go around saying stuff like "STOP DELETING MY POSTS IT WON'T MAKE YOUR E-PENIS BIGGER" or post in every topic just to provoke us, you can't be serious in expecting to last here. Maybe you should realize we're not SomethingAwful, YTMND, Ebaum'sWorld, or any place like that.
Nothing wrong with being blunt, though, we're not asking everyone to be perfect. That's why TMM wasn't banned for a while. He was more of a blunt troll than a raging lunatic troll. But like I said, it's hard to imagine you're serious.
But anyway, even if the ban was "unjustified", evading's always been bannable even back in the old days. Remember *cough* World Collision *cough*? Usually you have to get unbanned. But on another forum I go to, if someone evades but keeps their identity hidden, the fact that they're undiscovered means they're doing a good job behaving, so it's a win-win situation. I'm not entirely sure if that's how it is here, considering the fact that we wouldn't know if anyone's gotten away with it before (except I might, haha).

Before somebody asks why I'm posting then if I feel it's not worth it, I have my reasons. Mainly because I want something to be changed, and even though you may think I'm skeptic as well as "untrustworthy", I'm telling you for the good of the forums. I also think it's cute how whenever I post something you -- the members -- do not agree with, you complain about why I'm not banned yet. Isn't that funny? What aggravates you so much to say such? The world is opinionated, unlike these forums, where you -- staff members -- only seem to "keep" members based on who YOU like and who YOU want to post here.

~I think you're confusing us with SPPf. Either that or it's because of the evading issue.

The SPAM rule is something that needs to be made more lenient; I was surprised I was banned for SPAM and not 'harassment' on my prior account "devastation." I can direct you to the PCG and AC/CC forum, which has one word posts and a whole lot more. You'd have a thrill ride banning members for SPAM there if you're going to ban me based on opinions which you do not personally agree with.

~I was under the impression you were banned for harassment... but why would you post in every topic if not to provoke us? You should have posted a topic like this one rather than that "Wow" topic.

Thoughts? I'm very curious to find out your opinions on the whole ordeal!

- "Jay"

Edit: What happened to how Miscellaneous Discussion used to be? This entire forum is flooded with "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" topics. Posting in them was to only show the moderating team how asinine it is to have half of every page filled with such topics, yet you ban me for spamming those topics instead. Very hypocritical and unprofessional.

~Like I said, it was probably more for harassment. But you were posting in birthday topics from a month ago. While I don't see a point in wishing someone a happy birthday a month late, if it was me who got to you first, I would have still moreso considered it a ban for harassment. SPAM as well, undeniable, but more harassment. It's a little hard to take you seriously, because it seems you and Steph and co have made it quite clear that you don't really care about change for the forums, you just want to provoke us. If you really hoped to get anything out of it before, running around the forums like a lunatic makes me find that hard to believe.

~Zak

PancaKe
26th April 2006, 03:14 AM
my only comment:

dont be a douche about why the rules topics havent changed since 2002. Maybe the rules are good rules and dont need changing. Besides, only douchebags argue against why the spam rule should be taken away.

Stupid douches.

(new found love for that word)

Dark Dragonite
26th April 2006, 07:00 AM
hell, I'd donate to keep TPM running, it isn't all that dead, what happened was, like in my and many other member's situations, we were young, and only had school to worry about at the beginning, then we grew up, had jobs, relationships, college, etc...Going from 12hrs online to 3hrs online a day is going to kill activity.

I have a feeling I should know which Jay you are, but I don't, your pics, if they really are you, look to young to be Jay Umbreon, or the Jay I knew from PCG...

Anyways, if you just want to blindly flame everyone, and say the board is dead, annoying, wrong, etc, I eould suggest just leaving, not trying to get you started again, cause that's the last thing I care about doing, just being honest, if you don't like TPM, why be here?
I personally found the annoying members to be just that, and I'm glad they're gone.

I enjoy this place to much to let it die, and I thank the donators for saving it, as I was on hiatus...

If you've ever heard the saying: "One man's trash is another man's treasure" well, One person's "fun" is everyone else's "annoying".

Alucard
26th April 2006, 07:11 AM
One would assume it's Jayden.

Anyway, I haven't donated because.... I'm a tight ass and I enjoy spending my money on other things lolz.

Dark-San
26th April 2006, 08:24 AM
[size=3] Before I start out, let me put across a simple question to you. Define your meaning as being a 'fun user'. Is it to create multiple accounts in an attempt to invade the forum? Or is it to post unnecessary posts which are neither helpful or informative? In my opinion, it is none of the above and hence you should be ban for doing all these dumb actions recently. In short, you deserved it. The forum here always practise on one policy, behave like a fool and the adminstration will treat you like one.

Why did you donate in the first place?

[b][size=3] It is the choice of the members, it is their money and what they like to do with it has nothing to do with you. They chose to donate to pay for the servers. Why? It is because like Roy had mentioned, this place gives them good memories. For others, they might have friends here and they could do all sort of activites such as games in PCG, writing fanfics, roleplaying in RPG and serious discussion of several issues.

TPM = Lazy, can't be bothered changing rules which were made YEARS ago.

[b][size=3] Hey mister, guess what you are just merely generalising the whole of the moderators. Mr Pikachu had mentioned update changes in the rules of fanfic and you could take a peek inside OA forum. We have update the rules. If necessary, we will review them. Hence kindly take back your stalement.

What aggravates you so much to say such? The world is opinionated, unlike these forums, where you -- staff members -- only seem to "keep" members based on who YOU like and who YOU want to post here.

[b][size=3]In acutal fact, only troublemakers get banned.

Edit: What happened to how Miscellaneous Discussion used to be? This entire forum is [b]flooded with "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" topics. Posting in them was to only show the moderating team how asinine it is to have half of every page filled with such topics, yet you ban me for spamming those topics instead. Very hypocritical and unprofessional.

[b][size=3] Yes, I have to agree. This topic was brought up for discussion before and not for the first time. The team is now currently looking into suitable solutions that we can looked into to reduce these topics.

What about TCG? Well now that the Pokemon TCG is pretty much dead you pretty much just sit back and enjoy your stay.

[b][size=3] Mike, you cannot just judge Roarkiller's job as just simply like this. Yes in fact, he still lingers around in his own forum. If he spots a flame war brewing, he would be the first one to put that down be it a pokemon TCG topic or Duel Monster's topic. Besides he had just recently came out from army. Hence from now till August, he has all the free time in the world to govern his forum and tidy things up when necessary.

Alucard
26th April 2006, 08:51 AM
I'd like to point out that it was me who brought back life into the TCG area lolz ;x

Dark Dragonite
26th April 2006, 09:49 AM
1 question, 1 suggestion...

Question: Is TPM in need of donations still?

Suggestion: Like we have the TPM picture topic, why not a Happy Birthday Topic, where everyone uses one topic to post about other peoples' b-days.

Andrew
26th April 2006, 04:53 PM
No. No it's not.

Also, Dark Dragonite, that stuff's already under discussion.

Not to mention Lady G's taken out Jumpluff due to multiple accounts.

HOWEVER if anyone EVER has constructive criticism about TPM and the way it's being run, feel free to speak up. As long as you're not a flamer, it's always good to get some feedback.

Mega Horny
26th April 2006, 05:00 PM
I really have nothing I can think of. The forum is well organized and weeds such Jumpluff are quickly de-rooted. The community is very forthcoming and is more active than most. The majority of the members obey the rules so things can proceed quickly, allowing room for more enjoyment.

The only thing I can possibly think to complain about is how the F word is censored. Thats fine in all chambers, save the fic chamber. I use the word often in my stories because I find it very expressive of anger or surprise. Seeing **** ruins the feeling of it. Say a character dies and its very shocking and saddening and someone says, "FUCK, No!" The asterixes ruin the whole thing. I think it should be removed from ONLY the fic chamber because you post the maturity of your fic at the top as a warning so theres no real point. Otherwise, TPM owns.

Little_Pikachu
26th April 2006, 05:10 PM
The only thing I can possibly think to complain about is how the F word is censored. Thats fine in all chambers, save the fic chamber. I use the word often in my stories because I find it very expressive of anger or surprise. Seeing **** ruins the feeling of it. Say a character dies and its very shocking and saddening and someone says, "FUCK, No!" The asterixes ruin the whole thing. I think it should be removed from ONLY the fic chamber because you post the maturity of your fic at the top as a warning so theres no real point. Otherwise, TPM owns.

Unfortunatly I don't think it's something we can specifically allow for one forum, I'm not talking morally but physically, it's all or nothing (unless Chris has some secret magic?). I do agree with you though, so in creative areas only (Fan Fic/RPG) as long as you give a warning that there may be some strong language and you don't abuse it, I am willing to allow evasion of the filter.

Mega Horny
26th April 2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks ^^ that would make my life!

Andrew
26th April 2006, 05:15 PM
Um, there's an option in the user control panel to turn OFF the censor... so feel free to experience swears.

Mega Horny
26th April 2006, 05:21 PM
right, but what about readers? They wont all know how to do that.

Andrew
26th April 2006, 05:25 PM
You can tell them in your fic how to. But I suppose if there's a big enough whinge, I could make an announcement for a couple days.

Mega Horny
26th April 2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah, its not really that major anyway. Thanks guys.

Lady Vulpix
27th April 2006, 06:18 AM
I'm not ging to talk about Jay because I've wasted too much effort in trying to help him already, but I will say why I donated to TPM. I did it because TPM means a lot to me, and it's the first site I want to come to when I get home, and I've made some good friends here, written and read many stories and played fun games, among other things, and I wanted it to return so we could keep doing all that. And I knew a new server was needed for TPM to be back, so I did what I could to help.

PancaKe
30th April 2006, 01:12 AM
Suggestion: Like we have the TPM picture topic, why not a Happy Birthday Topic, where everyone uses one topic to post about other peoples' b-days.

I know its under discussion, but I'm seconding it. Mainly because, a while ago, when I was still modding fanfic, we implemented something along those lines, and had a calander (kinda) with peoples birthdays on it. It worked pretty well and cut out a lot of spaming.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
1st May 2006, 12:56 AM
Heh, the title reminds me from the chapter names in Cervantes' Don Quixote.

Well, for some people like me, the school was the only place to use the World Wide Web and after school ended, we weren't able to come here. Now I have other places where I can use TPM though.

And at least TPM is far from spammy if we note my former school's forum, which I also use:

www.edu.haapavesi.fi/foorumi

Now I may be a spammer there and even here, I don't know. But you cannot judge me there unless you can speak Finnish, hehe.

firepokemon
2nd May 2006, 04:52 PM
Spamming should definately be relaxed at these boards. Theres a time when you must be rid of spams, flames etc etc etc. This isn't the time. This board is dying most people frequent this once or twice a week. Hell for me its once or twice a month now. Pokemon is literally dead especially by what I hear of Pokemon USA and their horrible dub of the anime.

As for whoever was involved in the birthday topic thread. Please. Just allow people to make birthday topics. Look at the first page it goes back at least a week if not two weeks. So just allow people to make birthday threads. As for the mods. Well you always had lazy mods, nothing really changes. But tits not like mods have to do anything these days.

I could bitch as per usual with attacks on LP, LV etc etc etc. But why bother. I can just look back to a time when LV didn't matter. The board was truly good back then.

Blademaster
2nd May 2006, 07:35 PM
Spamming should definately be relaxed at these boards. Theres a time when you must be rid of spams, flames etc etc etc. This isn't the time. This board is dying most people frequent this once or twice a week. Hell for me its once or twice a month now. Pokemon is literally dead especially by what I hear of Pokemon USA and their horrible dub of the anime.

As for whoever was involved in the birthday topic thread. Please. Just allow people to make birthday topics. Look at the first page it goes back at least a week if not two weeks. So just allow people to make birthday threads. As for the mods. Well you always had lazy mods, nothing really changes. But tits not like mods have to do anything these days.

I could bitch as per usual with attacks on LP, LV etc etc etc. But why bother. I can just look back to a time when LV didn't matter. The board was truly good back then.

(checks list)

Ahhhhh, another satisfied customer. :biggrin: