PDA

View Full Version : So, what do wii think of the Revolution's official name?

Jeff
29th April 2006, 09:35 PM
If you haven't heard yet, it's going to be the Nintendo Wii (as in "we"). I don't know, to me, just the pronunciation and the double letter makes it too simmilar to wee, bad marketing strategy Nintendo.

Andrew
29th April 2006, 09:40 PM
Way to piss off the Nintendo faithful.

I like the fact Nintendo always tries to be a bit left of center, but it's getting beyond the joke now and really quite pathetic. I know you're all for revolutionizing gaming, but if you're too far off, no one will want you.

Ghost
29th April 2006, 11:47 PM
WTF? THis title change may just steer me off the course of buying it :mad:

PNT510
30th April 2006, 12:54 AM
[b]Honestly, I think Nintendo kinda shot themselves in the foot with this. Alot of early adapters buy a system for it's "coolness" factor, there is nothing cool about Wii.

Heald
30th April 2006, 07:16 AM
Well the internet exploded yesterday on account of the Wii announcement. I don't think anyone expected them to announce the name before E3, but their reason for doing so makes sense. Now we get all of the stupid puns and griping out of the way now, so E3's focus will be on the actual games and system.

I had people sending me links to an online petition to get the name changed back to Revolution. Gimme a break. First of all, if you think any actual corporation takes an online petition seriously, I've got a bridge to sell you. Second, it's just a name. Get over it. It sounds silly? Yeah, well what the fuck is a "google"? That's what I thought.

(Update: So you can stop emailing me, a "googol" is the term for the very large number. A google is nothing. They are not the same thing.)

Like the name or not, every single tech related webpage, blog, or forum was talking about the Wii yesterday. You can't buy that kind of media exposure. And Nintendo got it for free yesterday. The little poem they wrote explaining the meaning of Wii might have been a bit cheesy, but A++ in Business 101 for Nintendo.

Personally the name has grown on me. Visually I like it. I haven't actually had to say "Nintendo Wii" out loud in conversation yet, so we'll see how that goes. But when it comes down to it, what the hell do I care what they name their system? I just want to play the video games.This man speaks the truth. Anyone who buys a console because of its name is an idiot. They could call it the Rapestation 4000 but if it had decent games I'd still buy it. Surely the real 'Nintendo faithful' will buy it because of the quality games and not because it has a decent name, and anyone who actually reads this board should know I'm anything but a Nintendo faithful.

Little_Pikachu
30th April 2006, 01:30 PM
Bad, bad name.

I don't know what they were aiming for with this, but whatever it was I don't think they hit it. The Xbox 360 is a pretty cool and happening name, the PlayStation3, 3rd installment of the PlayStation, fair enough... The Nintendo Wii... Rrright...

The name of a product can and does effect the sales figures, take the GameTrak, everyone thought it was super cool until before release it changed it's name to Gizmondo. Have any of you heard about it? Maybe not since no one wanted anything to do with it until the company went bust and stores sold the £200 machines for £30.

Personally, if Wii is the real name (Everyone is hoping this is a horrible joke and Nintendo will release a new, cool name at E3) I will always call my machine the Revolution. Yeah, despite the name I'll still get one, but that's because as a gamer who's followed the Revolution's progress since the words "Nintendo's making a new console!" I know it's a revolutionary design. But it's been stated quite a few times that the Revolution is supposed to be aimed at new gamers, those who wont have the same knowledge as you or I. All they will know is they can have an Xbox 360, a Playstation 3 or a Wii. If I didn't know the difference, I know which one I wouldn't pick on name alone.

The_Missing_Link
30th April 2006, 09:39 PM
Maybe they're throwing us off and waiting until E3 to reveal the new name. If not, then whatever. I'll still get it but keep refering to it as the Revolution

The name sucks but I do like the logo. Reminds me of an Apple product

Jeff
30th April 2006, 11:21 PM
I've been going back and forth now on my opinion on this name. On one hand, once you get past the puns, it does have marketing possibilities. For one, it sounds like weeee, like when a kid is having fun. On the other hand I can't help thinking of things like a little kid playing in his room, and when his mom walks past asking if everything is ok with him, he says "I'm fine mom, just playing with my Wii".

Mikachu Yukitatsu
1st May 2006, 01:10 AM
They could call it the Rapestation 4000 but if it had decent games I'd still buy it.

Heh. Some people would buy it because its name is Rapestation 4000. Nobody so stupid here though.

I don't care about the name either. Now wii cannot be its Japanese romanizaiton because there isn't the syllable vi or wi in Japanese. It should be bii or uii or something. I just hope they won't shorten it to Nintendo W because the letter v, which we usually can't distinguish from w, has very negative associations here in Finland... Or what the heck, you can change X-box to Sex-box after all...

And if this is an offical joke it may be the first time in videogame history or am I wrong?

Alucard
1st May 2006, 05:22 AM
When I first heard it, I thought it was a pretty smart move. Rather then being a 4 year old and cracking piss jokes, I figured that it refers to "We" as in more then one person a.k.a. multiplayer.

But meh, I don't care about it's name. I don't see why people should. After all, the 'Playstation' is a type of vibrator sold in a sex store in my town center. Heh.

Hatake Kakashi
2nd May 2006, 12:20 AM
WTF? THis title change may just steer me off the course of buying it :mad:

I really hope you never get to make any decisions more important than 'What's for dinner'.

"I wanna name him...Joseph..."
"You wanna name our kid JOSEPH!? God I'm gonna divorce you right now if you name our kid that. Seriously."

And to be fair, wasn't Microsofts actual reasoning(beyond "center of your media world") behind XBox 360 because 360 was higher than three?

I don't mind the name Wii, it kinda grew on me. It's a fun name to say.

But I think they should call it the Super Nintendo. The name alone would guarantee it's awesome.

Hatake Kakashi
2nd May 2006, 12:23 AM
This man speaks the truth. Anyone who buys a console because of its name is an idiot. They could call it the Rapestation 4000 but if it had decent games I'd still buy it. Surely the real 'Nintendo faithful' will buy it because of the quality games and not because it has a decent name, and anyone who actually reads this board should know I'm anything but a Nintendo faithful.

I was quite shocked.

Tim Buckley can't make a humorous joke or draw anything beyond 1 facial expression, but the biggest Microsoft fanboy in the webcomicdom actually had a point.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
2nd May 2006, 06:04 AM
Well, the name won't turn the Nintendo fanbase away but I think it's not really the best of names if you want to draw new customers to your system. Sure, the games are what makes a system good or bad, but to be really successful you need the perfect bundle. Nintendo is taking a big risk not only with their unique game controller but now also changing the name to something like "Wii".

It will turn quite a few people away I fear, those who buy the book based on its cover.

Drago
4th May 2006, 09:13 PM
Personally I liked it when Nintendo consoles could be abbreviated to 'blank Nintendo' or 'Nintendo blank'. Super Nintendo... Nintendo 64... Then GameCube came along and ruined all that. By that point I realised I didn't care as much as most others.

Wii works well for me anyway, seeing how most of my conversations are single syllable responses.
'Hey.'
'Wii?'
'Yeah.'
*goes to play Wii*

Craig, I meant in the sense that the primary word was still Nintendo, if you know what I mean. ...Ah forget it. I don't care enough to follow through on a point. :what:

classy_cat18
4th May 2006, 09:28 PM
Personally I liked it when Nintendo consoles could be abbreviated to 'blank Nintendo' or 'Nintendo blank'. Super Nintendo... Nintendo 64... Then GameCube came along and ruined all that. By that point I realised I didn't care as much as most others.

At least it was better than Dolphin.

Craig
5th May 2006, 06:39 PM
Then GameCube came along and ruined all that.

"Nintendo Gamecube" o.O?

I think the name is pretty stupid. Im hoping its a joke, or will be changed later on.

Kohdok
5th May 2006, 07:14 PM
And if this is an offical joke it may be the first time in videogame history or am I wrong?

Indeed you are. The GameCube, as classy_cat 18 revealed, was originally going to look quite different and be called the "Dolphin". I don't think it was a joke, but it was a show of a good name-changing descision on Nintendo's part.

Dunno if I will get a Wii (Is it "a" or "an"?) or not. I was originally planning to scoop up an old X-box when the 360 came out, but due to the reverse compatibility problem, most people kept their X-boxes and the prices didn't drop. I got the Cube fairly early on, and still like the games (REmake!). It has the least confusing controller, though it looks like the Wii might destroy that for me.

One thing I REALLY hate is wireless controllers. I often find them rather unreliable, and the good wireless ones cost much more than a simple extension cable. The controller is what turned "mii" off of "Wii" early.[/cheesy pun] However, once I heard you could hook it up to a more traditional controller (I've heard you can use a Cube controller, too) I lightened up a bit.

Phoenixsong
6th May 2006, 01:18 AM
I'm sorry, people... it's one thing if you have no faith in Ninty's games, but not buying such a great system based on its name alone is simply superficial, and the pee jokes are immature. I don't like the name either (more because I hate the fact that it's one syllable over anything else), but I'm willing to deal with it for SSB "Revolution", or whatever it will be called. Besides, no matter what the name IS great for getting the word out. No one can call himself a video game fan and not be talking about this. Think about it: everyone is cracking wee jokes now, but eventually they'll either come to their senses or else have someone else smack them over the head for doing such a convincing impression of a three year-old. And then what? When the jokes are old, all that will matter is how the system handles. No one will care after a while, trust me...

And actually, there are many people who seriously believe that it is a marketing stunt. There's "proof" of it that I saw on another forum (where this has already been discussed extensively... damn, this is a hot topic. But then, that's the point, ain't it?), but I remember absolutely none of it now. I'll check again later...

But anyway, it looks like a W and the Roman numeral two (II), so if they don't change it back I'll probably start calling it the W2. More than one syllable, w00t!

Crazy
7th May 2006, 07:28 PM
Wow, that's odd. It has no effect on my buying the system at all, but I wish they could have come up with something cooler. Oh well, here's to the Rapestation4000! YIP,YIP,HHHHHHHUUURRRRRRAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Calaveron
10th May 2006, 04:14 AM
Indeed you are. The GameCube, as classy_cat 18 revealed, was originally going to look quite different and be called the "Dolphin". I don't think it was a joke, but it was a show of a good name-changing descision on Nintendo's part.

Dunno if I will get a Wii (Is it "a" or "an"?) or not. I was originally planning to scoop up an old X-box when the 360 came out, but due to the reverse compatibility problem, most people kept their X-boxes and the prices didn't drop. I got the Cube fairly early on, and still like the games (REmake!). It has the least confusing controller, though it looks like the Wii might destroy that for me.

One thing I REALLY hate is wireless controllers. I often find them rather unreliable, and the good wireless ones cost much more than a simple extension cable. The controller is what turned "mii" off of "Wii" early.[/cheesy pun] However, once I heard you could hook it up to a more traditional controller (I've heard you can use a Cube controller, too) I lightened up a bit.

Except that Nintendo's wireless controller (Wavebird) is awesome, reliable, and has a battery life that outlives your average Pope.
And "Dolphin" was just the project's name. As was "Ultra 64" for the Nintendo 64 and Revolution for the Wii.

phaedrus
12th May 2006, 03:27 PM
i personally have no problem with it. it's a novel idea, certainly more novel and appealing than "360" or "3"