PDA

View Full Version : [GSC] Box trick - does it really work?

Foguet
8th May 2006, 06:46 AM
I've used the search function on the forum to look for a topic on this but I couldn't find it under G/S/C. So here it goes:

I read about the possibility of using the box trick to improve your Level 100 Pokémon's stats, making them fight and then putting them in the box so that the game recalculates their stats according to their effort points. I made my Charizard battle against both wild and Trainer Pokémon, choosing the opponents appropiately to take the maximum Effort Values for each stat. but after at least 30 battles, I left Charizard in the box. I took it out again. Nothing had happened!

Did I do something wrong? If so, what was it? And no, it's not that Charizard already has the maximum possible stats.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
8th May 2006, 07:10 AM
I don't exactly know how this box trick works, but it sure does work.

Foguet
8th May 2006, 08:06 AM
Is there anyone who knows how it works and can help me, please?

Poryhedron
8th May 2006, 10:14 AM
It works exactly as you described. What types of opponents were you facing?
Bear in mind that, at level 100, a pokémon needs to collect 1020 Stat Exp in a given stat to gain another stat point.
Also bear in mind that a species' max stats are not necessarily your pokémon's max stats; IVs (aka DVs) also affect things. Max stats for a species are usually calculated assuming max IVs.

Foguet
8th May 2006, 10:29 AM
It works exactly as you described. What types of opponents were you facing?
Bear in mind that, at level 100, a pokémon needs to collect 1020 Stat Exp in a given stat to gain another stat point.
Also bear in mind that a species' max stats are not necessarily your pokémon's max stats; IVs (aka DVs) also affect things. Max stats for a species are usually calculated assuming max IVs.

The first time, I fought any wild Pokémon I found in the grass in Mt Silver. When it didn't work, I tried with trainers such as the rival and the Viridian City Battle Club Trainer. None of these worked.

I chose the opponents according to Bulbapedia. In Bulbapedia's article on effort values, it says that 4 EV are needed to provoke an increase of 1 in the stat. In each Pokémon's article, it also specifies what kind of EV a Pokémon gives on being defeated. So, looking to improve my Charizard's attack, I went to battle Arboks. According to Bulbapedia:

For every 4 effort points in a particular stat, the Pokémon will gain 1 more point at level 100 than it normally would have.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values

and

Arbok: Effort yield 2 Atk

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Arbok_%28Pokémon%29

After battling two Arboks, I should have got 4 Attack EV, so Charizard's attack should have grown by 1. But it didn't. Why?

Poryhedron
8th May 2006, 11:25 AM
Well, for one thing, you're using the wrong system. You're looking at the Advance Generation's Effort Values instead of RBYGSC's Stat Exp. Admittedly, they're very similar, but the numbers aren't the same.

Arbok has a base Attack stat of 85, meaning defeating one earns you 85 Attack Exp. You need 1020 Stat Exp to gain another stat point, so you would need to fight twelve Arbok to go up a point in Attack. This is assuming Charizard doesn't already have the maximum 65025 Attack Stat Exp. I don't suppose you happen to know what your Charizard's Attack IV is?

Foguet
8th May 2006, 01:24 PM
Is there any way of knowing it?

Poryhedron
8th May 2006, 01:51 PM
Sort of. The only way to figure out your pokémon's IVs is to, first, know its EVs or Stat Exp, and then work backwards from the formula that determines final stats. Because of this, people who want to know the IVs of their pokémon usually work it out before getting the pokémon into any battles, so that they'll know the EVs/Stat Exp are all zero. Of course, another way to figure out your Attack IV is to battle until not even twelve Arbok will boost your Attack; this means you've maxed out your Attack Stat Exp at 65025, and you can figure the Attack IV from there.

Foguet
8th May 2006, 01:58 PM
Okay... and, if I understood right, Arbok doesn't only give Attack Stat experience but also HP, speed... ?

Poryhedron
8th May 2006, 05:58 PM
That's right. All pokémon boost all stats in RBYGSC. You could raise your Speed Stat Exp by battling Slowpoke. Of course, it's about as productive as trying to level-up by battling in Route 1...
Fortunately, you don't have to worry about putting too much Stat Exp into the wrong stat. In RBYGSC, it's very possible to max out the Stat Exp for all stats.

Foguet
9th May 2006, 04:48 AM
Then I assume my Level 100 Pokémon could be even stronger than they are now. Cool!