PDA

View Full Version : Ipod/Ipod Substitute Question

Silver_Persian
13th May 2006, 08:01 PM
My Ipod's battery has started to die, and currently it only runs for ~1 hour after being fully charged.

These are my questions

1) is it possible to get the battery in my existing ipod replaced? If so, how?
2) What are the substitutes for an ipod, what are they like and how much do they cost?
3) Can i load the songs from ITunes onto other mp3 players?

Thankyou anyone who replies :)

Bison Woes
13th May 2006, 08:20 PM
1) If you have a warranty, try and go to the store you bought it from. They might replace the battery depending if the warranty has expired or not. If not, you might have to pay a bit to replace the battery.
2) My friends have a Dell DJ and like it. I know it's cheaper than a full iPod but I don't know how much. There are others but I'm not sure of them.
3) You can try but it's usually really hard. iTunes has its own code that many other mp3 players may not like. I know a few people complaining about it because they can't figure out how to burn TV shows/movies onto a DVD. Then again, I could be wrong about the first. I don't use many mp3 players often.

Hope that helps!

ozhater1
13th May 2006, 08:57 PM
1) Yes, Apple will replace the battery for (I'm pretty sure) ~$100.00.
2) There are too many 'substitute' MP3 players you could use instead of an iPod to list. As I have only ever used iPods I'm not very certain of which would be your best choice.
3) As far as I know iTunes itself will only transfer music to Apple products, or one of the iTunes enabled phone (which I do believe is currently limited to the Rokr and the Slvr); of course you can always move music manually...

Dark Dragonite
13th May 2006, 10:00 PM
From what I know...

1)Yes, if you have a warranty, they will replace the battery, if not, send it to Apple and get ripped off, the battery dies like every year-2yrs from what I learned.

2)Sony, always go with Sony, they've been in electronics for a long time, put out quality stuff, problem is, if you enjoy your mp3s playing in your car(if you drive) I only know of the transpod, works for only Ipod

3)If you have the files on your computer, just find the folder, and bam, you can do whatever you want with them.

mr_pikachu
14th May 2006, 03:14 AM
For #3, I believe that iTunes sometimes uses AAC files, which are sometimes harder for other mp3 players to read. If you have the file in mp3 form, you should be able to transfer it to any other mp3 player. If not, you can probably change the file type using one of the programs at Codec Central (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm), although I haven't looked into it thoroughly myself.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Alucard
14th May 2006, 04:19 AM
1) Is it possible to get the battery in my existing ipod replaced? If so, how?

Ebay sells a new batter + all the tools to refit it yourself for under $20. Or you could send it to Apple and have them do it for $100+

2) What are the substitutes for an ipod, what are they like and how much do they cost?

Zen Vision M is the best out there at the moment. $250+ I believe.

3) Can I load the songs from ITunes onto other mp3 players?

Depends if they're AAC format. If they're AAC then you can D/l a converter from oh I dunno, say Google, and have them all converted into mp3. You might lose a bit of quality though. I'm not sure if dBPowerAMP does AAC files, you could read up on that. I Use DB for pretty much everything.

Dark Dragonite
14th May 2006, 08:26 AM
this is true, half my files are in mp4a format, these will only play on itunes, can't even burn to a cd and play in a cd player

Magmar
14th May 2006, 12:37 PM
thats why I illegally download my jams and then put them in iTunes

Dark Dragonite
14th May 2006, 12:50 PM
ummm, if you don't put in specifics, some dl giles are in mp4a format already, itunes doesn't change them...Hmmm...

*Sends Music Industry Police and Metallica to Magmar's house*