PDA

View Full Version : Avatar: Legend of Aang

Silencer
14th May 2006, 12:46 PM
Yeay, Belgium has something that might qualify as good Anime ^^. So far the only decent Anime we got was pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh.

Anyway for those that don't know the show. It's about a world where people are members of a nation somehow dedicated to an element (water, fire, wind or earth). But not all is well in the world (kinda pointless to make an Anime where everything is happyhappy). The fire nation seeks to take over the world and only one person can stop them. The avatar (oooooh).

The thing is that the fire nation started their quest 100 years ago. And sadly for the people of the other nation the avatar dissapeared. Now the avatar is found by 2 members of the water clan. A guy that wants to be a great warrior and fight the fire nation and a girl that wants to be a water master.

The avatar, Aang is a 12-year old(I think) boy that needs to learn to master all 4 elements so he'll be strong enough to fight the entire fire nation.

Of course on the way they find many problems and alot of people that need help.

Currently it's being aired on Nickelodeon in the weekends and we got till Book I: Chapter 14.

So what are your thoughts on the show? Or do most of you believe it's a Naruto knock-off?

I myself am pretty into it. It has some nice fighting and a decent storyline so I'd rate it around 7-8/10

Alucard
14th May 2006, 01:21 PM
YGO! is far from being a good anime. The sub isn't too bad, but the dub is aweful.

I watch Avatar when there's nothing else on, but usually there is. I like the monkey things and Appa(sp?). Haven't really followed the story or anything so I can't really judge it.

Silencer
14th May 2006, 02:16 PM
YGO! is far from being a good anime. The sub isn't too bad, but the dub is aweful.

I watch Avatar when there's nothing else on, but usually there is. I like the monkey things and Appa(sp?). Haven't really followed the story or anything so I can't really judge it.

Didn't say YGO was good, but decent. But it's like the only anime we got here. Let's see we have gotten pokemon, digimon, yu-gi-oh, the other card game uuum the one where you have to break shields and put cards as mana, DBZ (not even DB and we've only gotten till Cell Saga) and that's about it...

Pm-5000fan
18th May 2006, 07:13 PM
Avatar is pretty cool, but im too old to watch it though. :biggrin: The thing is, it is about these 4 nations: Fire, Air, Water, and Earth. That is pretty cool.

This would be cool as a anime.

Ace64
20th May 2006, 01:15 PM
I actually like the show. I can hardly believe it's on Nick, though. Kind of surprised the hell outta me. Like- "Oh! What's this doing here?"I don't think it's a Naruto knock-off, though...Kinda similiar, but not really.

Silencer
21st May 2006, 05:23 AM
Other question, what kind of master would you want to be?

I'd like to be an earth master. I think, in pure power, they can match a fire master. Plus they can surf wherever they are :p.

Bison Woes
21st May 2006, 08:51 AM
*hides signature and avatar as they are small spoilers for season two*

Although it is not a true anime since it's Amercan made, it is one of the best animations I've seen so far. The storyline is awesome and, unlike other shows, the characters are well developed and progress throughout the series, Zuko and Aang especially. The animation is fluid and, unlike other animes, moves are actually shown and choreographed. Actual martial artists provide the moves for the show and pose for the animators to draw.

Animals are cute as well (except maybe Shirshu). I would like to have a flying bison though. Excellent travel companion.

Ace64
21st May 2006, 09:10 AM
Yeah, except the cost for feeding that thing might explain why he actually flies...

Zuko's steadily gotten better, if you ask me. I was wondering whether the name for your Growlithe was inspired from Avatar..now I know! Didn't he have a lisp at the beginning of Season One, or is it just me?

And if I had the choice, I'd definitely be a fire master. Air definitely owns it, but still... there seems to be more of a martial arts feel to it than the other elements.

Bison Woes
21st May 2006, 09:22 AM
It was getting started and the premiere was made at a different time since Aang's voice actors change from episode 2 to 3. His lisp does disappear though and his character devlops much more than any I've ever seen before, especially in season two.

For the people who haven't finished season one, trust me, you'll love the finale. The animation is beautiful and we learn quite a bit about characters. Also, season two starts off a little slow but kicks in at episode six. Give it some time.

I've never been able to pick from the four elements but Earth will help me out much more in life. And I like walking around barefooted anyway.

Silencer
21st May 2006, 02:37 PM
Anyone remember the story about the 2 founders of tribes? One tribe where barbarians and the other scolars. Both where in an argument because according to the scolars, the ancestor of the barbarians stole their magic ball. But according to the barbarians their ancestor was only trying to help but he got locked up for 20 years.

So anyone remember the real story? I can't really tell it but I found it extremely funny ^^

*spoilers ahead, but most will prob know this alrdy*

They just aired the episode where Aang tries to master fire and burns Katara's hands. I found it a cool development that Aang is a child in his free time but fights like a grown-up. His strategy had alot of thought to it

*spoilers end*

So for people that read the spoiler know what epi I just saw, any idea how much longer season 1 lasts?

Bison Woes
21st May 2006, 02:47 PM
Each seasons has 20 episodes so, being that you described 16, two more until the season finale (which premieres as an hour special, but 18 is awesome as well). There are three seasons planned so far but many are hoping that the creators will give us a peak into the future or past by writing a Book Air.

The story Aang tells them isn't the real story and the actual story will never be known apparently. Although Aang's is version is cute.

Silencer
21st May 2006, 03:15 PM
Not the real story? Damn, anyway was funny :p. Happen to remember the names of the 2 ancestors? I remember each was made out of 2 names.

e.g. a and b are names, ancestor one was named a-b, ancestor two was named b-a

Bison Woes
21st May 2006, 03:21 PM
Their names were Jin-Wei (Gan Jin's ancestor) and Wei-Jin (Zhang's ancestor). I do think the real story is a combination of the two though (where Wei-Jin helps the guy out but doesn't go to jail).

Silencer
9th June 2006, 02:22 PM
Just saw The Blind Bandit(ty video sharing sites) and Fire Nation Man kinda reminded me of that Canadian in WCW that I saw sometimes. Was that just coincedense or is it a little sting to pro wrestling?

Dark Dragonite
29th June 2006, 07:26 PM
Well, The Boulder sounded a bit like Randy Johnson, an old, old, old, old, Hulk Hogan in his prime wrestler...

I love Avatar...can't get enough of it, which is why it disappoints me...too many repeats, not enough new episodes...I've been stuck in book 1 forever, then finally book 2 comes out...2 more...

Saffire Persian
29th June 2006, 09:33 PM
I love Avatar...can't get enough of it, which is why it disappoints me...too many repeats, not enough new episodes...I've been stuck in book 1 forever, then finally book 2 comes out...2 more...

I just finally finished watching all the current episodes XD.. Spent all yesterday/this morning watching them. I love the show -- it's one of the few cartoons I'll definitely watch. I was just.. wow. XD... Plus, the whole idea of "element-bending" is just cool. I enjoy watching that -- and I love Sokka, because of his sarcasm and pessimism. He never fails to make me laugh. o.0

I don't like the new girl much, Troph or whatever. :/ Just not quite used to her yet I guess.

Silencer
3rd July 2006, 10:06 AM
Alright, so Toph = Eartbending teacher
Sakura = Waterbending teacher

Why do I have a feeling Aangs Firebending teacher will need to accompagny him aswell, and after watching The Chase, I'm having a feeling that it will be Zuko that will teach Aang. He'll probably will be very pissed at his family for killing his uncle. He'll probably go on a rampage before Aang helps and cools him down a bit. Maybe a little Avatar power will show Zuko how wrong the Fire Nation is...

Dark Dragonite
3rd July 2006, 11:41 AM
Basically, Zuko is very machiavelian...the ends justify the means...I probably wasn't watching a new epi, but I saw Zuko fighting some cowardly "army" guys stealing children from a town...they were Earthbenders, when Zuko beat them up, but revealed who he was with firebending, they shooed him away sadly...the little boy didn't want his knife anymore...
I aggree, I think Zuko will teach Aang firebending...he's awesome at it, and only of the only firebenders to be trusted...

Silencer
3rd July 2006, 01:41 PM
Well, there are . other options.
- The fire elder(roughly translated, may not be correct term) in the Avatar temple that helped them in the first place altough I don't believe his firebending power would be that high and he was getting punished by the fire lord
- The guy that taught Aang a bit of firebending already, in the episode that Aang burned Sakuras hands but he was dissapointed in Aang and needed to dissepear so they may not find him again
- A new fire bender, although they'll need a good background story IMO

Saffire Persian
3rd July 2006, 02:05 PM
I personally think Prince Zuko is the best bet -- of course Aang's Firebender reincarnation might also provide some assistance. I'd prefer they not introduce another character :/... well, not a main one like Troph, as I prefer the travelling groups small and manageable, so we don't get overwhelmed by characters and then are disappointed by lack of character development.

Silencer
3rd July 2006, 02:31 PM
They can't really throw in characters, Appa needs to carry them.

Dark Dragonite
3rd July 2006, 02:31 PM
Yeah, but Troph is also bad news...her dad thinks Aang kidnapped her...and sent dirty bounty hunters to get her back...I think 1 more will end up in Aang's party...

Aang
Appa(SP?)
Momo
Sakura
Sokka
Troph(temporarily, I think she will go back after Aang is taught, or will end up leaving somehow)
Zuko...yes, I think they will band together, I think in the end, the firelord will be beaten by Aang, Zuko's sister will be beaten by Zuko, Zuko will lead the Fire nation to a peaceful world...

Saffire Persian
3rd July 2006, 02:50 PM
Aang
Appa(SP?)
Momo
Sakura
Sokka
Troph(temporarily, I think she will go back after Aang is taught, or will end up leaving somehow)
Zuko...yes, I think they will band together, I think in the end, the firelord will be beaten by Aang, Zuko's sister will be beaten by Zuko, Zuko will lead the Fire nation to a peaceful world...

A solid conclusion -- I can see (and wouldn't mind) having Zuko join with Aang's group, though I don't think it'll be until the end of the second season, or somewhere in the third. XD I hope Troph leaves, as I don't really like her that much, but who knows, maybe I'll grow to like her.

Silencer
3rd July 2006, 02:54 PM
She has this love-me-or-hate-me air around her. I'm actually liking the fact that finally someone in the group has this fight now ask questions later attitude. But I have a feeling she'll recieve a pounding some time because of this and might change her ways IF she is still there for Book 3.

Also do you think it will end with Book 3? Book 1: Water, Book 2: Earth, Book 3: Fire, Book 4: War

Basicly I'm thinking that Book 4 will be the assault on the fire nation. But this might depend on the popularity of the show.

Saffire Persian
3rd July 2006, 03:44 PM
So far, Nickolodean (Sp?...) has only ordered three seasons - not a forth. It's speculated that the third is the end to these character's adventures. But if they do make a book four, I don't think 'War' would be the title, I think it'd be 'Air' to fit the book tradition of naming them after the four elements.

Bison Woes
4th July 2006, 10:08 AM
Only three seasons have been confirmed and people are hoping that there will be a Book 4: Air to complete the element cycle. Some hope it's about Aang's past or the aftermath of the battle (I for the latter).

I really hope Zuko will teach Aang but, at this point, it's highly unlikely. He still needs to sort out his problems (especially trying to electrocute himself last episode) before he can actually be a teacher or a master at that. I'm hoping Iroh will meet up with the gang first. If anyone saw The Chase, the four Benders were standing together to defeat the greater evil, a nice foreshadowing (however, they messed up in the animation where Aang suddenly moved in a split second to be one up the line near Katara XD).

The popularity of the show is astounding. On TV.com, it's the second highest rated animation (right under Fullmetal Alchemist) and in the top 20 I believe best TV shows on. Nick would be stupid to get rid of it. And it has the best DVD covers of all times XD

American fans, be prepared for the one-hour special (two new episodes back-to-back) on July 14th! It's the last episode until August or September I think.

Saffire Persian
4th July 2006, 10:24 AM
(however, they messed up in the animation where Aang suddenly moved in a split second to be one up the line near Katara XD).

Messed up? *Will have to watch it again*... XD I think Aang's little crush on Katara is so funny.. and cute, too, but meh.

Dark Dragonite
4th July 2006, 10:27 AM
The popularity of the show is astounding. On TV.com, it's the second highest rated animation (right under Fullmetal Alchemist) and in the top 20 I believe best TV shows on. Nick would be stupid to get rid of it. And it has the best DVD covers of all times XD

Well, how many popular shows have they canned...Ren and Stimpy(when it was big), Invader Zim(huge following still, I will never forgive them for that), Angry Beavers, Rocko's modern life, etc...

Saffire Persian
4th July 2006, 10:30 AM
Well, how many popular shows have they canned...Ren and Stimpy(when it was big),

Wasn't that canned because of its..er...content?

Dark Dragonite
4th July 2006, 10:59 AM
it had some questionable scenes...but I didn't think it was that bad...I mean, look what cartoons do now...

Silencer
4th July 2006, 04:38 PM
Has there been episodes after The Chase? Cause I'm kinda worried about Iroh, lol.

And if so, any place they been uploaded?
<_<
>_>
What?

Saffire Persian
4th July 2006, 05:27 PM
Yes, there's an episode after "The Chase". That would be "Bitter Work."

*coughYouTubeisyourfriendcough*

Silencer
18th July 2006, 10:19 AM
I've had a great find

Be a bender yourself and face off against the fire nation!

http://www.nick.com/all_nick/tv_supersites/avatar2/game.jhtml

It's a game (you probably have to select games) called 'Autumn Twiligh'. You selecect 4 chars. A male earthbender, a female earthbender, a male waterbender and a female waterbender. Troughout the game you'll learn new bending attacks and you'll have to stop a fire general in the end.

pretty fun game altough it needs to be opened with IE.

Razola
22nd July 2006, 02:08 AM
Wasn't that canned because of its..er...content?
No, too popular. They just fired the creator and replaced the staff. Died off on its own eventually.

Bison Woes
24th July 2006, 07:51 AM
I have an announcement to make. Mako, the voice actor for Iroh and several characters in other fandoms (such as Aku), died. I'm sure he'll be missed and hopefully they won't kill off Iroh in Season 2 to compensate for the loss of his talent (they have recordings for the rest of the season). However, if a new actor does come on to take the part of Iroh, I'm sure it would be welcomed, given the circumstances.

Rest in peace, Mako.

Saffire Persian
24th July 2006, 12:49 PM
I just heard that! ... I was like "What? No!" XDXDXD

So they have all the episodes in the second season recorded? Thank goodness. o.o Where did you find the info on they have the recordings for the rest of the second season? XD...

I hope they can find someone good to emulate him -- I can see them killing Iroh off if the new VA isn't accepted well.

Gah, I'm sad now. XD

Everoy
24th July 2006, 01:12 PM
I love watching Avatar when it's on, but sadly I don't get to see it very often...

Oh, and R.I.P., Mako :(

Invader Zim(huge following still, I will never forgive them for that)

Agreed *cries to death* I'm gonna sing the doom song now!

Hatake Kakashi
27th July 2006, 11:42 PM
it had some questionable scenes...but I didn't think it was that bad...I mean, look what cartoons do now...

To be totally fair, it was canned because Jhonen was given no freedom as far as ideas go(He's a bit..."intense" for Nick) and so he decided to give up.

ZIM was funny but it's nothing to mourn. Not like Futurama.