PDA

View Full Version : Stupid legal moves on Pokemon

Zak
18th May 2006, 04:29 PM
What are some moves that some Pokemon are allowed to have, even though it seems as though they shouldn't?

I'll start with a few...

Rest on Shedinja... what's the point if it only has 1 HP?

Aerial Ace on Diglett. I'm not even gonna try to justify that one...

~Zak

Blademaster
18th May 2006, 04:48 PM
How about Poliwag learning Mega Punch... What's up with that?

Punching is done with a fist... POLIWAG HAS NO FISTS!!!

What's it gonna punch with, it's ****ing tail!?

Or maybe Torchic being able to learn Seismic Toss - those feather duster wings can't even get it off the ground - how are they gonna huck a Machamp or a Venusaur around?

pokemon4eva
18th May 2006, 06:55 PM
Also........

Fire Blast with Garados(it's a water flying type!!!)

Shidinja with dig(its a bug!!!!!)

Raichu with mega horn(No Horn!!)

Celfary with metronome that turned into fly!!!!

Ferow with merror coat and uses surf!!!!

Snorlax can use surf!!!

Munchlax with hyperbeam!!!

Psyduck with confusion!!!

Gengar with Fireblast and Razor Leaf!!!

Hariyama with surf!!!

Sableye with flash!!!

Ultimate Charizard
20th May 2006, 04:52 AM
Also........

Fire Blast with Garados(it's a water flying type!!!) Lots of legends about water dragons that still breathe fire

Shidinja with dig(its a bug!!!!!) There are plenty of Bugs that Dig

Ferow with merror coat and uses surf!!!! Cant really count the moves that allow any move to be used

Snorlax can use surf!!!

Munchlax with hyperbeam!!! [I]Why not?

Psyduck with confusion!!! [b]Its a Psychic type isnt it?

Gengar with Fireblast and Razor Leaf!!! So it can use Multiple type Moves? Alot of fire types can use Solarbeam

Hariyama with surf!!!

Sableye with flash!!! its eyes are a reflective surface, why not?

Personally i cant understand why youve picked any of your suggestions apart from Raichu but i wasnt even aware it could learn Megahorn.

Bison Woes
20th May 2006, 11:08 AM
But...Raichu can't learn Horn Drill...

Snorlax can swim (pretty well in fact). Why can't it use Surf?

Greyfox
20th May 2006, 11:21 AM
Why does Munchlax learn Hyper Beam? He's not fully evolved...

Oh, and neither Psyduck nor Golduck are Psychic-types. They have the abilities of certain psychics, but they themselves are pure Water-types.

-drew

pokemon4eva
20th May 2006, 05:11 PM
On my leaf green pokemon my raichu has Horn Drill

Well snorlax is a normal type but thats all i got for that.

Muchlax's hyberbeam might come from its metronome?

mr_pikachu
20th May 2006, 06:53 PM
On my leaf green pokemon my raichu has Horn Drill

You might want to make sure about that... I just pulled up an online Pokedex, and Raichu doesn't appear to learn Megahorn in any of the games, by any means. Nor does it learn Horn Drill or any other move with "horn" in the name.

Lady Vulpix
20th May 2006, 07:33 PM
Have you noticed the moves a Dunsparce can learn?
EARTHQUAKE, ROCK TOMB, FLAMETHROWER, FIRE BLAST, WATER PULSE, SHOCK WAVE, THUNDERBOLT, THUNDER, SOLARBEAM, ICE BEAM, BLIZZARD, STRENGTH, ROCK SMASH...

Isn't that asking a bit too much from the poor little thing? O_o

Oh, and Dewgong with Signal Beam too. Only non-bug pokemon to learn it. Reason: unknown.

Pm-5000fan
20th May 2006, 10:40 PM
Plz dont get me started...

Furret with surf.
Clefable with thunderbolt.
Nidorino with bubblebeam
Gyrados with fireblast
Tauros with fireblast
A lot of guys with toxic(only poison pokemon should know)
Dusclops and Bannette with will-o-wisp
Seviper with flamethrower
Relicanth with earthquake(how the heck does it do that?)

Really, thats all i remember... So far...

D!
21st May 2006, 12:32 AM
Relicanth with earthquake(how the heck does it do that?)

I do believe it is part Rock..

I'm not sure which version it was on of the first-generation games..
But apart from using its nose, I don't see any possible way a Diglett could use Cut..

Aggron - Ice Beam and Water Pulse..

I don't understand how this Pokemon could conjure Water/Iced Water being as it is a Steel Pokemon, and its body hasn't matured like a Water Pokemon has..
Ignoring the fact that it should be impossible for most Water Pokemon to conjure up such large amounts of Water as they do..

Lady Vulpix
21st May 2006, 08:13 AM
A pokemon's type has very little to do with the attacks it can use. I don't see why an Aggron wouldn't have the ability to summon the same weird things as other pokemon of the same approximate shape and size. Relicanth, however, is a fish. Regardless of its type, how does a fish cause an Earthquake? It was actually the only move in Pm-5000fan's list that sounded truly odd to me.

Bison Woes
21st May 2006, 09:11 AM
Looking at this from just a person's standpoint, yes, some of these moves make no sense. But, looking at this from another point, it does. Mew learns each and every TM and is considered the mother of all Pokemon. If all Pokemon did come from Mew, it would make sense if they know some TM moves that seem weird. It shows how they're related to each other. Relicanth is a Rock type but probably came from a Rock-Ground type before and ekpt its ability to perform Earthquake.

Besides, several of these strange moves make the 'non-cute' Pokemon more powerful (Stantler, Tauros, Dusclops, Dunsparce)

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
22nd May 2006, 05:37 AM
I think there really isn't a single attack a Pokémon can do that can't be somehow explained. For example Dig using Scratch (without having hands) sounds quite odd. But with some fantasy you can come up with a logical explanation for everything. I remember us having page-long topics on such things in GD.

Lady Vulpix
22nd May 2006, 05:43 AM
How do you know Diglett has no hands? At least half of its body is hidden underground in all the images we've seen.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
22nd May 2006, 05:54 AM
Let's say for a moment it does have hands, they're just stuck somewhere underground. In order to scratch someone the Pokémon would have to poke out of its hole enough to get its hands free and then use the attack. That's something never displayed anywhere.

I think it was even told somewhere that no one knows what the Pokémon looks like cause all you ever see is its head (was maybe in an anime episode or some Pokédex entry).

Lady Vulpix
22nd May 2006, 10:29 AM
Maybe they do it so fast that no one gets to see it.

Foguet
22nd May 2006, 03:52 PM
Horn Drill on Dragonite. It's got no horns!

pidgezero_one
22nd May 2006, 03:54 PM
Did Nintendo just put those in for hilarity?

Blademaster
22nd May 2006, 04:01 PM
Horn Drill on Dragonite. It's got no horns!

It doesn't?

Maybe it's that stubby little spike on top of its head, between its antennae?

Crazy Elf Boy
23rd May 2006, 03:59 AM
Hi guys i am new to this website but i have a stupid move on my shroomish. It knows False swipe i mean it has no hands how can it swipe something.

Blademaster
23rd May 2006, 04:24 PM
Hey, Elf. Welcome to the family.

Shroomish can learn False Swipe, eh? Weird... I should look around for more weird stuff like that...

Until then, here's one that I can't quite figure out:

Almost every Pokemon that can learn a TM can learn Return/Frustration, including Porygon and Porygon2...

Return and Frustration can only be used when a Pokemon really likes/hates you, but Porygon and Porygon2 are made entirely out of computer code...

How can a computer program like or dislike you - IT HAS NO EMOTIONS!!!

...It also has no brain - how can it use Psychic attacks? :confused:

+conspiracy+
23rd May 2006, 06:07 PM
Yanma and sweet kiss

im not really sure if its unable to lay a smooch on something else, but just the thought of an oversized dragonfly......... yuck

Sceptile_Master
23rd May 2006, 06:55 PM
I don't see why most of those are problems. I always thought normal type using elemted move sin pokemon would be perfectly suitable.

Lady Vulpix
23rd May 2006, 07:06 PM
Well, with pokemon being able to be stored in computers and all... I'm inclined to think Porygon and Porygon 2 are more than computer code as we know it. The pokedex says they were designed by humans, but it seems to me that they've developed minds of their own.

Silver_Persian
25th May 2006, 05:08 AM
Surfing rhydon :/

Crazy Elf Boy
25th May 2006, 06:17 AM
I agree with what Austrian ViceMaster alex said how can diglett se scratch if it has no hands.
I was like 8 when Blue came out and I used to love my Dugtrio that knew slash I mean i never realised it till now how such a stupid move it was to have.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
26th May 2006, 05:50 AM
Diglett slashing or scratching does make sense if it's for example not using hands to do so. I always figured it might have a very raw, even sharp skin that not only enables it to dig easier underground but also do an attack with a similar effect to scratching by rubbing itself against the opponent.

mr_pikachu
26th May 2006, 06:13 AM
Alternatively, it could do it with its teeth (assuming that Diglett possess teeth, that is). Just rip a fang across the opponent's flesh, and voila! You have a Slash.

One of the things I've never understood is not a particular attack, but rather how Fighting moves in general could possibly be strong against Rock and Steel Pokemon. Maybe Fighting > Rock is somewhat believable; after all, I have seen martial artists smash cement blocks. (Cement is still a far cry from a natural stone, but at least that keeps it within the realm of possibility.) But Fighting beating Steel?

Show me someone who can blast through steel, and I'll show you someone who knows how to use a blowtorch.

Ultimate Charizard
26th May 2006, 06:30 AM
I think thats down to the whole japanese beleif in the martial arts. Ie the strongest objects can be defeated with technique. Its the same as you mentioned that trained people can break concrete blocks. I know i cant, but ive known someone break their hand trying to copy the 'touch of death' from bloodsport.
Its on that principle but taken to a higher stage.

Magmar
28th May 2006, 10:53 AM
My friend Marah can punch through steel.

Well not literally. but we say she can. and there's a sign in our office warning people that she does so. because my friends rule :)

Stuff like a Cloyster using attract when you can't see its body--that's kinda weird.

Mr. Mime knows Magical Leaf. That one always bothered me. Where does he get the leaves from, his ass?

How does a Sunkern cut?

Heald
28th May 2006, 11:35 AM
It could be like in Pokemon Stadium where the Pokemon, if they don't have claws but can Scratch e.g. Diglett, they energise claws and Scratch, much like using Swift, they are just energy stars, I don't imagine Pokemon carry around a bag of stars to use.

mr_pikachu
28th May 2006, 03:03 PM
Stuff like a Cloyster using attract when you can't see its body--that's kinda weird.

Well, maybe its shell is supposed to be attractive? After all, some people consider their clothes to be a statement of who they are... *shrugs*

Mr. Mime knows Magical Leaf. That one always bothered me. Where does he get the leaves from, his ass?

Well, in the wild, he could get them from nearby shrubbery. But if they're not readily available... I dunno, maybe he Teleports them there? Or maybe he just Tricks the opponent into believing that they're there using Hypnosis! :eek:

How does a Sunkern cut?

Well, I suppose it could sharpen the leaves on its head and spin on an axis, or just swing those blade-like leaves.

...Which begs the question of why it doesn't learn Leaf Blade in that case. Meh.

It could be like in Pokemon Stadium where the Pokemon, if they don't have claws but can Scratch e.g. Diglett, they energise claws and Scratch, much like using Swift, they are just energy stars, I don't imagine Pokemon carry around a bag of stars to use.

...Pokemon ninjas! *dun dun dun*

This explains so much.

pokemon4eva
28th May 2006, 06:24 PM
I realized about every pokemon can learn Areial Ace

Magmar
28th May 2006, 09:05 PM
Your face can learn Aerial Ace :)

sorry, that was spam.

anyways.
Yeah, I re-affirm my theory of "pulling out of ass" techniques. It's just like Sailor Moon... she has to keep that wand somewhere and that skirt has no pockets.

I think Swift was supposed to represent a quick attack and anime-esque, those stupid stars that run by when they show the character running, but it more or less became the stars themselves. However the stars have nothing to do with the word swift?

Hatake Kakashi
2nd June 2006, 12:50 AM
The attack was originally called Speed Star.

Elec Man EXE
7th June 2006, 01:45 PM
I would think Mr. Mime would get the leaves for Magical Leaf by pantomiming the leaves. If you read his 'dex entry, it says that if he can make the opponent believe something exists, then it will exist. Make them believe he's shooting leaves, and he is.

I don't understand Kirlia getting it, though. Maybe those green horn things can double as leaves? Or maybe (as I reffed it recently in ASB) it just uses psychic power to form objects that look and function as leaves.

As for Diglett... my assumption was maybe it would fire off a sharp bit of earth, causing a scratch/slash/cut. Or, since it is a mole pokemon, it has claws that we just don't see. Aerial Ace... I guess it could just be a fast attack with a bad name (the in-game description doesn't mention anything about flying or anything like that) but I always assumed a non-flying pokemon using Aerial Ace would jump into the air and then dive down.

Cloyster could attract by simply winking and making flirtatious faces, perhaps. I don't think it has to flash the other pokemon to Attract it :p

I think most moves can be explained in one way or another.

But to go the other way (pokemon that don't have moves that should)... why the hell doesn't Ampharos learn Tail Glow? His tail is a freakin' lightbulb, could a pokemon get a more fitting move.

Crazy Elf Boy
8th June 2006, 05:57 AM
What i have noticed in all the animations i have seen of diglett attacking it kind of wiggles its nose so my theory it that it does a nose wiggle like on Bewitched and magics up a scratch or areial ace. lol :eek:

Psychic_legend
25th June 2006, 02:18 PM
I read that Dodouo and Dodrio can't fly,but they can learn fly!!! That ruins the whole point of them being Ostriches, they are suppose to be able to run very fast,but have the inability to fly.

The Blue Avenger
25th June 2006, 05:04 PM
I'm working under the theory that they get a good running start, then take a big jump to whever their trainer wants them to Fly to. Kinda like the Hulk.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
26th June 2006, 08:06 AM
I'm working under the theory that they get a good running start, then take a big jump to whever their trainer wants them to Fly to. Kinda like the Hulk.

That's exactly what I thought in this matter. In fact, wasn't there an anime episode where a Pokémon did just that?

Elec Man EXE
26th June 2006, 12:52 PM
Thats what I thought initially as well

But then they introduced the move Bounce, which would seem to be something like that (jumping and attacking with a flying type strike).

I dunno, maybe they just gave it to Dodrio because they figure birds should fly, regardless of whether they are "supposed" to be flightless or not.

And they can't remove the capability to learn certain moves any more, because it would cause issues when trading (since Diamond/Pearl are going to be compatable with Ru/Sa/E and FR/LG)

ozhater1
26th June 2006, 02:51 PM
Thats what I thought initially as well

But then they introduced the move Bounce, which would seem to be something like that (jumping and attacking with a flying type strike).

I dunno, maybe they just gave it to Dodrio because they figure birds should fly, regardless of whether they are "supposed" to be flightless or not.

And they can't remove the capability to learn certain moves any more, because it would cause issues when trading (since Diamond/Pearl are going to be compatable with Ru/Sa/E and FR/LG)

That seems to be what they're going for, because Delibird, who strikingly resembles a penguin; a flightless bird, can also learn fly...

Blademaster
26th June 2006, 04:44 PM
I find it funny that Delibird and Doduo, who don't even look like they have wings, can Fly, but non-avian Flyers, like Gyarados and Butterfree, can't learn it at all...

Incidentally, why is Gyarados a Flying type, anyway? I'd have made it a Water/Dragon, like Kingdra, or maybe Water/Ice or even Water/Fire. They could've even initially made it a pure Water-type, and then when 2nd Generation Pokemon came out they could've added some Dark into it - that's what they did with Magnemite and Magneton. I just don't see how Gyarados can possibly be a Flying-type...

And speaking of moves that Pokemon don't have but they should, remember Beedrill? It's a bee, but the stinger on its tail almost never sees use - its always those mutated forearm stingers that do the stinging! What's up with that? Beedrill seems like a prime Pokemon to learn Poison Tail, and yet... it doesn't... :-|

Elec Man EXE
26th June 2006, 05:17 PM
Dragon/Water typing for Gyarados would make it absolutely uber, with only 1 weakness.

Kingdra only works that way because it has pretty low stats and a mediocre movepool.

Gyrados has neither of those limitations. It needs a double-weakness and other weaknesses, to balance it out.

I suppose they "could" have nerfed its stats to give it that typing, but its supposed to be a very powerful pokemon.

As for why they made it Flying/Water in the first place.... either they did have weaknesses in mind and wanted that double-electric weakness, or they envisioned it as a flying type because the bits on his body sort of look like wings.

Chris 2.1
26th June 2006, 05:45 PM
It looks like those japanese dragons and I'm sure they fly in the sky. When the Simpsons went to China (or Japan? where Selma adopted the baby) there were Gyarados-esque Dragons in the sky, Im sure they wanted Homer to ride on their back.

Anyway arent they also used as decorative kites in japan? Like windsocks on sticks you run with. Maybe thats were the flying element came from.

Meh I dont know.

Foguet
29th June 2006, 08:54 AM
What i have noticed in all the animations i have seen of diglett attacking it kind of wiggles its nose so my theory it that it does a nose wiggle like on Bewitched and magics up a scratch or areial ace. lol :eek:

But the curious thing is that, even if that scratch is magicked up, diglett can get paralyzed when attacking Shroomish! :eek:

Zak
29th June 2006, 01:03 PM
On the subject of Relicanth, it's probably heavy enough to shake rocks around underwater and cause an earthquake.

Oh, and Dewgong with Signal Beam too. Only non-bug pokemon to learn it. Reason: unknown.

Isn't Volbeat the only other Pokemon that learns it altogether? I mean, technically it's true that it's the only non-Bug type to learn it, but that's like saying Volbeat is the only non-Water/Ice type to learn it.

Why does Munchlax learn Hyper Beam? He's not fully evolved...
-drew

Dratini and Dragonair, Larvitar and Pupitar, and a few other non-fully evolved Pokemon can learn it. Munchlax knowing it doesn't surprise me, considering it seems to be Snorlax's key move in the anime. The only thing that would surprise me if Munchlax could use it would be if it was considered a "Baby", and not just a pre-evolution (as in, it can't breed). But so far all pre-evolutions that were created in a later generation have been babies, so that's likely... even though Munchlax is bigger than the average baby. But if it isn't that'd be a first.

And by the way, ALL Pokemon can learn Return, Frustration, and Toxic (and a few other moves as well), except for ones that can't learn any TM's at all. Porygon and Porygon2 may be made of computer code, but they do have affection levels. In reality ALL Pokemon aren't real, so their "affection levels" are programmed in the game... so I'd guess that's how Porygon are to the Pokemon world.

How does a Sunkern cut?

Any Pokemon using attract is weird, and even if it's ugly or invisible I'm sure the Pokemon that's being attracted doesn't even understand itself why it's attracted, but it just is. There are a lot of weird things in the real world that have such an effect on you as well when you don't understand why: They're called drugs.

Magical Leaf... is just a Grass elemental version of Swift. Even when Grass types use it, they're not using any of their leaves, unlike Razor Leaf. It's just a bunch of lights in the shape of leaves... so I suppose a Psychic type using it can pass.

As for Sunkern cutting... doesn't it kinda have a propellor on it's head?

I read that Dodouo and Dodrio can't fly,but they can learn fly!!! That ruins the whole point of them being Ostriches, they are suppose to be able to run very fast,but have the inability to fly.

Since when are they OSTRICHES? Never heard that before... but anyway their gimmick is not being very good flyers, but usually things that the Pokedex says can only applies to the anime. But it says they aren't good flyers, it doesn't say they CAN'T fly. But anyway, yeah, Alex was right about them having to take a running start. It was in the Falkner Gym episode.

Psychic_legend
30th June 2006, 11:00 AM
Well I hope Dodou and Dodrio aren't panguins! They must be Ostriches or anything around that family, and since when did Kingdra have low stats?

Cool Trainer Jess
18th July 2006, 03:29 PM
Also........

Fire Blast with Garados(it's a water flying type!!!)

Shidinja with dig(its a bug!!!!!)

Ferow with merror coat and uses surf!!!!

Snorlax can use surf!!!

Munchlax with hyperbeam!!!

Psyduck with confusion!!!

Gengar with Fireblast and Razor Leaf!!!

Hariyama with surf!!!

Sableye with flash!!!
Hariyamas are like Snorlaxes.(Snorlaxs?)Snorlax float on the water.So hariyamas seem like they can float to.Plus I saw the esopode with Ash battliing Brawly.He made his hariyama surf. :keke:

SoulflameNinetales
30th July 2006, 07:22 PM
Kingdra only works that way because it has pretty low stats and a mediocre movepool.

Actually Kingdra's stats are quite decent, its only that Kingdra doesn't have any outstanding stats.

Link
31st July 2006, 09:02 PM
Kingdra looks mean as well.

Everoy
1st August 2006, 02:31 PM
Ponyta/Rapidash with Bounce doesn't make sense to me.

The Blue Avenger
1st August 2006, 07:38 PM
Ponyta can jump over Ayer's Rock in one go. That's one hell of a Bounce.

frylock
1st August 2006, 11:26 PM
A pokemon's type has very little to do with the attacks it can use. I don't see why an Aggron wouldn't have the ability to summon the same weird things as other pokemon of the same approximate shape and size. Relicanth, however, is a fish. Regardless of its type, how does a fish cause an Earthquake? It was actually the only move in Pm-5000fan's list that sounded truly odd to me.

Maybe he flops around on the ground really hard. He's part rock, so he has to be pretty heavy...

Cheesey
3rd August 2006, 08:49 AM
I can't decide whether Gastly learning Explosion makes sense or not. If it's all gassy, then an explosion of gas could be damaging, I suppose. But it's a bit weird thinking of Gastly doing it in the first place, being a ghost and not a solid thing like Geodude or Voltorb. Unless it's been described in the anime or something, I don't know how to picture it..

ditto_pokefreak
14th August 2006, 10:33 PM
How can a Pidgey fly you from one city to another? It's about 3% of your weight.

Or a 20 lb Marill letting you Surf across a sea?

Speaking of Digletts, how do they use dig or rock slide while you're battling at sea? Wouldn't they just drown in the former?

Elec Man EXE
17th August 2006, 01:24 PM
Fighting at sea is pretty wierd for most pokemon.

How does a Fire pokemon manage to fight in the ocean? Especially something like Magmar or Slugma? Same with Ground types, Rock types, and the like.

And where does any pokemon that can't fly stand? Do they swim, stand on a conveniently-placed rock? What?

Foguet
17th August 2006, 04:19 PM
Fighting at sea is pretty wierd for most pokemon.

How does a Fire pokemon manage to fight in the ocean? Especially something like Magmar or Slugma? Same with Ground types, Rock types, and the like.

And where does any pokemon that can't fly stand? Do they swim, stand on a conveniently-placed rock? What?

And what about battles under the sea? I mean, when you're using Dive. I don't think a Charmander would last a second down there.

Elec Man EXE
17th August 2006, 05:31 PM
I don't even know how you, as the trainer, survive down there when your Diving.

What, does the pokemon make an air bubble for you or something? :confused:

mr_pikachu
18th August 2006, 02:43 AM
The same way that you survive at high altitudes while Flying.

And the way you breathe underground while Digging.

Not to mention how you survive the repeated collisions with rocks when you slide across ice... or how you're uninjured after jumping from the second floor of the Cinnabar mansion (RBY, FrLg)...

Shall I go on? ;)

Yeah, there are many things that don't make sense sometimes about the Pokemon games. Oh well.

Lady Vulpix
19th August 2006, 07:31 AM
Since we're speaking of environments...

Having a Kingdra to train at the AC/CC forum, I've always wondered how they manage in the games. They don't look like they could even maintain balance out of the water, how do they battle in any environment with no restrictions?

And similarly, how can pokemon use Fly, Dig, Dive, Earthquake, etc. inside buildings? Or Rock Throw and most other Rock and Ground moves in the middle of the sea?

Blademaster
19th August 2006, 02:56 PM
Personally, I've always wondered how my Gyarados could use Surf in the middle of the Rout 111 desert...

pokemasterfrank
21st August 2006, 12:37 AM
What are some moves that some Pokemon are allowed to have, even though it seems as though they shouldn't?

I'll start with a few...

Rest on Shedinja... what's the point if it only has 1 HP?

Aerial Ace on Diglett. I'm not even gonna try to justify that one...

~Zak

Highly roundabout, but maybe to get rid of a more threatening status affect with the temporary sleep effects of Rest?

mr_pikachu
21st August 2006, 12:40 AM
Highly roundabout, but maybe to get rid of a more threatening status affect with the temporary sleep effects of Rest?

I would almost think that it would be more applicable with the Ditto/Shedinja combo in double battles. However, I would think that a Ditto would take too much damage from a super-effective move for Rest to be worthwhile... I don't think it could really tank as a Shedinja. Tough call.

EDIT: Wait... what if, in using the Ditto/Shedinja combo, you used Rest to force the opponent to hit with a super-effective strike (i.e. other effects, like statuses or weather, would be insufficient for a KO if Ditto occasionally used Rest to survive)? That might be plausible.

+conspiracy+
21st August 2006, 03:44 AM
Since we're speaking of environments...

Having a Kingdra to train at the AC/CC forum, I've always wondered how they manage in the games. They don't look like they could even maintain balance out of the water, how do they battle in any environment with no restrictions?

Well, imo Kingdra would just balance on its tail, like how say a Sentret balances on its tail... its just one of those things where it may look weird, but thats just the way it is =)

And cmon people... this is getting a little too literal, lets all remember this is just a video game =/

=P

Blademaster
21st August 2006, 03:53 AM
That is true, c0n5p1r4cy, but all video games have some scientific backbone to them if you bother to look.

For instance, the Super Mario Bros. games have taught us many scientifically-proven facts, including that eating an orange tulip gives you pyrokinetic powers. Duh - who doesn't know that, really?

Foguet
21st August 2006, 06:38 AM
It's not exactly a move, but I always wondered why precisely Shedinja gives out 2 HP evs. :rolleyes:

UmbreonCurse
26th October 2006, 03:44 PM
Almost every Pokemon that can learn a TM can learn Return/Frustration, including Porygon and Porygon2...

Return and Frustration can only be used when a Pokemon really likes/hates you, but Porygon and Porygon2 are made entirely out of computer code...

How can a computer program like or dislike you - IT HAS NO EMOTIONS!!!

...It also has no brain - how can it use Psychic attacks? :confused:

I always assumed that's due to some kind of special AI, and besides, just because it has no emotions doesn't mean that it's not going to react when the trainer just keeps letting it faint all the time. Eventually, it's fancy-pants computer logic will tell it that it's just not benifitial to work with said trainer and that could evolve into something similar to frustration. Same thing for Return (only backwards, of course)
As for psychic attacks, well, it IS a psychic type. It's just how it's programed.

frylock
26th October 2006, 03:49 PM
Porygon is normal-type. And Hitmonlee STILL doesn't learn Bounce and HItmonchan STILL doesn't learn Shadow Punch. "Punch" is in the move's name!

BiGSh0t
26th October 2006, 04:40 PM
Alternatively, it could do it with its teeth (assuming that Diglett possess teeth, that is). Just rip a fang across the opponent's flesh, and voila! You have a Slash.

Where I come from they call that Bite...

rinku
26th October 2006, 05:19 PM
In some cases, a pokémon can learn an egg move that doesn't make sense for the earlier evos, but does for the later ones. Shroomish learning False Swipe is a good example - makes little sense for Shroomish, but does for Breloom. But I guess you could rationalise *it's* version of False Swipe as being some kind of spore.

Snorlax surfing? It's clearly doing a cannonball into the water :)

But at the end of the day, any strange move can be rationalised as "magic".