PDA

View Full Version : PC/Game trouble

SupremeChampion
18th May 2006, 04:42 PM
[i]ok, since i have recently relocated my cpu tp my room upstairs, i find that more and more my exhaust fan keeps running like crazy everytime i play a game. normal internet aside, when i tried to play this game i have (Sid Meier's Pirates!) the exhaust fan was turning so fast it might as well have been prepairing to lift my cpu off and fly it around the room. and now, when i try to play my game, after like two seconds of gameplay it freezes on me, then gives me the message about an error accuring and thats that. i can't think my cpu is over heating, as it's usually like 78'ish in my room, but i could be wrong. i've been having the problem of my cpu's exhaust fan running that hard for a while now and i was wondering if it could have finally done some damage. and this doesn't occur just for my pirates! game... all cpu games i play cause the exhaust fan to start really moving. i do have a different graphics card than the one the cpu came with, but this really is the first time its been giving me problems. so yea, i know i wasn't very clear in explaining said problem and if you need me to provide more answers, i can try. but any help would be appreciated, and i mean if i have to take it to a shop i will but i'd rather not. thanks again!

~The Italian Stallion

mr_pikachu
18th May 2006, 04:47 PM
I'm no expert with the physical side of how a computer works, but I'm curious as to how much of your computer's memory your games are using when you play them. (You should be able to check under the Processes menu in the Windows Task Manager, which you can pull up using Ctrl+Alt+Del.) If they're using an insane amount of memory (like a few hundred thousand K, or something), that might be part of the problem.

Also, how do you run those computer games? Are they stored on your computer, or are you using a CD-ROM to play them?

SupremeChampion
18th May 2006, 05:01 PM
[i]the games can't be giving me too much of a problem since i was able to play them all last summer and for most of the school year w/o a problem... it has only started happening recently. and the pirates! game is stored on my cpu, but i need the disc to play it... other games (like City of Heros, which similarly can cause me problems) are stored on my cpu and it, too, causes my cpu exhaust fan to start turning rapidly... my cpu has plently of mem. to play these games, (232 G) and i still have a lot of mem. left (216 G) so i didn't think that was the problem... but i mean some games i play on-line cause similar results with the exhaust fan spinning rapidly, while some don't... i'm totally stumped here :redface:

~The Italian Stallion

youdontknowme
18th May 2006, 08:34 PM
How does your current room's temperature compare to your previous room's? How old is your computer?
When you play a game, you might also wanna see what other processes are running in the task manager. If there's something fishy, like a process other than the game's that's using a lot of your cpu, you might wanna google it, post it here, etc.

My two cents. :p

SupremeChampion
18th May 2006, 09:47 PM
[i]aight, my cpu's like 2 years old, and i guess my room temp. is more or less the same... i'm thinking that since the graphics card i have in there now isn't stock, the one i bought might be making too much heat for my cpu... thus my fan needs to kick on hard, fast. so i was thinking that means i might need to buy a new heat-sink/fan combo, or a new, more powerful fan all together. any comments? thanks for the help!

~The Italian Stallion

youdontknowme
23rd May 2006, 11:06 PM
i don't have much experience with fans but... i've read that the bearings in the fans wear out. after how long? i dont know.
you can try buying a new fan(s) and some thermal paste.
although i wouldn't worry too much about it until you actually see some serious problems (computer freezing because of overheat, etc). your computer is going under heavy load since you're gaming, afterall.