PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Coca-Cola in California may have Lead in it!

Metallixs Girl
20th May 2006, 03:19 PM
LOS ANGELES (AFP) - The state of California and the city of Los Angeles sued drinks giant Coca-Cola Co., seeking to stop distribution of Coca-Cola made in Mexico amid concerns over its alleged lead content.

The lawsuit claims that elevated levels of lead have been detected in the paint used to decorate the outside of glass Coca-Cola bottles, as well as in the fizzy drink itself.

"Millions of bottles of this product have been handled and consumed by Californians over the past four years without any warning of the danger they pose," the lawsuit claimed.

The lawsuit was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court by California attorney general Bill Lockyer and Los Angeles city attorney Rocky Delgadillo.

Coca-Cola said in a statement that it would "vigorously defend itself" against the "outlandish allegations".

"All Coca-Cola beverages, including those made in Mexico, are safe and comply with all laws," said Ray Steed, a Coca-Cola vice president of quality and technical services.

The suit also alleges that Mexican-bottled Coca-Cola is sold in large volumes in California and that company officials knew that consumers were being exposed to unsafe levels of lead from it.

The Mexican-bottled version of the leading soft drink is sweeter than its US counterpart, and is imported to feed demand from the huge Mexican population in California, the suit says.

Lockyer and Delgadillo reached an accord with PepsiCo in April under which the main Coca-Cola competitor agreed to take steps to prevent lead-contaminated bottles from being distributed in the western state, according to the lawsuit.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060516/ts_alt_afp/usmexicohealth_060516193450

Ewwww a few Cokes I had tasted funny, but I don't think we get it from Mexico...

Heald
21st May 2006, 12:02 PM
Looks like it's not just the immigrants that are packing lead then.

Dark Dragonite
22nd May 2006, 11:39 AM
I dislike coke anyway...Pepsi is the wave of the future!!
*damn Heald for making me think of a simpson's quote*

The only thing I possibly use by coke is the side products, like the energy drinks, and other drinks they make, and that one time in Ocean City, when I needed Cola Syrup, which is quite hard to find BTW

Kris
22nd May 2006, 12:09 PM
Im trying to cut out on the amount of Cola and other sodas that I drink.

Thats definately not a good thing though, it could seriously harm someones health. Right?

Heald
22nd May 2006, 12:31 PM
Yes it can.

In Old Times, back when the Penny Farthing was what featured on MTV's 'Pimp My Ride', hatters used lead to blacken top hats - as a result of exposure to lead, they got lead poisoning, which causes madness, hence the phrase, 'As mad as a hatter'.

Dark Dragonite
22nd May 2006, 01:24 PM
Yay for me, cause of my illness(gastroparesis), I can't drink too much carbonated drinks anyways, lol

Thanks for the info, I always just assumed it was an Alice in Wonderland thing.

RedStarWarrior
25th May 2006, 05:00 AM
It should have stayed in Mexico. God, there was lead in it for a reason...to poison the Mexicans, not the stupid ass Californians.