PDA

View Full Version : Cold Steel ~ Preview

Toxicity
25th May 2006, 05:52 AM
Hello! I know it's been a long time since I posted in this section of the forums, but I plan to make another fanfic. Again, though, I'm rating this between PG and PG-13/TV-14 for angst, drama, mild language, some odd humor, and the infamous whatnot.

To understand this, I created my own timeline. This is a mere saying that in the Pokémon timeline, the events of the Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza epic took place in Hoenn around the same time as the Rocket crisis in Kanto, during the late '90s. It's a pretty basic idea, however, but I'm trying to avoid the cliché area. Also, this may need another title...

Cold Steel

For many years, the mysteries behind the weather have mesmerized many, humans and Pokémon alike. Same went for the geographical history of the world, and how everything came to be. Debates have gone back and forth, between a supreme deity creating such a mystical world, or that everything came through a series of biological processes. What was commonly accepted, however, was that Pokémon had something behind this, and that finding the truth was well beyond human knowledge. As a result, many have tried to communicate with their partners, the creatures known as Pokémon.

However, many have feared the strength of their partners ever since that one day. That day was a marked change in how we understood everything. The events in the ongoing civil war in Hoenn turned to a brutal side. Two legendary beasts, Groudon of the earth, and Kyogre of the oceans, awoke from their slumber as a result of two men, simply known as Maxie and Archie, who lead the teams Magma and Aqua, respectively.

However, another "monster" arose from an ancient slumber, the dragon Rayquaza that had also been long forgotten. It flew to the site of this epic battle of nature, and as if it were the controlling force of all, caused Groudon and Kyogre to depart, resting once again. Ever since, the two men have been arrested and placed into eternal exile, and scientists have continued to study deeper.

Nearly ten years has passed since that epic date. Summer of the year 2006 in the southern land of Hoenn has been predicted to be peaceful and joyous once again, yet trouble is starting to seemingly rise once again. Many clad in light blue and silver have roamed the land, seeking only the answer if whether or not another ice age was possible. They claim allegiance to a new "group," Team Cryo, and they desire superior power in humans and Pokémon alike. To eliminate the weak, they believe that another period of cold would do the trick. Whether or not they're seeking the aid of legendary Pokémon like their predecessors is unknown...

At this same time, however, another flower in the field of life begins to blossom. However, this is for a modest cause. Considered intelligent, beautiful, and witty, young Laura Deirdre has already been offered many scholarships to colleges for one cause: psychology. At sixteen, almost seventeen, she has decided that the best option for delving into the natures of both humans and Pokémon would be setting out on a journey across her "adoptive home" of Hoenn.

Feeling a slight bit of confidence, everything seems to go alright until the last day of school. Social events happen in a negative nature directed at her, and her self esteem, already low due to depression, drops greatly. Hopeless, she runs away into the wilderness, with only a single empty PokéBall customized for her liking, feeling as if nobody would care if she were missing. She's discovered, however, by an orphaned Aron, and eventually, the Hoenn League champion, Michael Silvern, her boyfriend of a few years.

Understanding the situation, Michael decides that traveling with her would possibly help his love regain confidence in herself. He decides to pay the price of resigning from his position, starting over with Laura on a journey that will prove to be the roughest challenge any trainer would ever face. How does Team Cryo impact the adventure of two lovers? And is Hoenn yet again in a crisis? The answers will soon be revealed...

~~~

Post what you think, if you want! Also, I might decide to use the cameo method again, so you can apply for that, too!

Saffire Persian
25th May 2006, 12:51 PM
Well, it certainly seems like an interesting start. Granted, I've never read any of your works before. And Cameo Method? I'm guessing you mean about people filling out a sign up to have their Pokémon Trainer character Cameo, eh? Interesting idea.

As I was reading though, I was wondering if this was merely a summary, and we'd read about Laura running away and meeting Michael in due time, or would you start the story from where this preview left off?

mr_pikachu
25th May 2006, 02:08 PM
Hey, welcome back, Laura! It's good to see you again.

I've only seen a few fics that have really endeavored to show how Pokemon and nature work together, and how legendary Pokemon play their role in the natural balance. It seems fairly original in that respect. New "Teams," on the other hand, aren't such a novel idea, but they can still be quite good when done well. The reasoning behind your group seems more logical than most, and it always helps to have a good background like that of this backstory. I'm also curious as to the nature of the lovers' relationship and what part it will play in this, especially since some tie between "Laura" and "Mike/Michael" seems to be a common theme in your fics. Anyway, it looks like a fine concept, and it should be interesting to see where it leads.