PDA

View Full Version : X-Men 3 (Spoilers) - Hit Or Flop?

Quicksilver62160
26th May 2006, 01:32 AM
This is going to contain spoilers about the movie X-Men 3 so if you do not want to hear anything about the movie I suggest you stop after this sentence.

Ok for starters, let me just go on record saying that I think X-Men 3 is quite possibly one of the worst movies I've seen in the past few years. The glaring omissions that have been made against the comic/series alone is staggering. Not to mention the overall poor quality in plot. X-Men - Turn everyone into mutants. X-Men 3 - Turn mutants into everyone else. Yeah,... it's that bad.

So here's just a small compilment of things I just found horribly wrong with the movie. I'm going to keep it short so that others can add in what they've seen/thought.

-When Professor Xavier and Juggernaut come face to face outside of Jean's house there is absolutely no form of contact between the two. Considering that Professor Xavier is Juggernaut's half brother whom he severly hates you'd think that there would have been at least an exchange of words. Or maybe at least you'd expect Professor Xavier to have mentioned that his unstoppable brother whom he imprisioned is free.

-Juggernaut at one point is chasing Shadowcat through the building blasting through the walls. They reach the mutant child that can actually negate the mutant X-Gene (the source of the "cure") and when Shadowcat reaches the child first she finds she is unable to morph through the walls. Following this Juggernaut blasts through the wall, and the two dodge as he slams clear into the wall and gets knocked out from the collision because apparently his mutant powers are negated. HE'S NOT A MUTANT! Juggernaut's power actually comes much like the Rhino from Spider-man, the entire suit that he wears gives him the "unstoppable" nature and he would not be negated by the child.

-Juggernaut NEVER REMOVES ANY OF HIS ARMOR! Especially the helmet because that is the only thing he is susceptable to. Not to mention that his armor offers a significant amount more coverage and he actually has clamps which hold the helmet in place.

-They kill of Cyclops in the beginning, I know that he's not a major character but come on... that's bullcrap.

Razola
26th May 2006, 02:41 AM
This is the wrong area for such a thread. We have a entertainment sub-forum for movies, books, and so forth.

Andrew
26th May 2006, 10:23 PM
I didn't enjoy this one as much. But cyclops deserved a better death.

Mystique was brilliant as well. Collossus and Multi Man were kind of hot.

I didn't enjoy the idea of Storm being in charge, she never seemed to ahve that big of a backbone. Plus the fact that there was only like 6 of them on the side of good... I liked Kitty's floor jump thing... Awesome. Wolvy was typical. Bobby was a bit bland and they didn't play on the Rogue thing enough. I read something about we'd find out where she got her strength/flight from.

Jean standing around doing nothing in the final battle till the last minute was a waste of time. Did Juggsy die? I'm the Juggernaught, Bitch! Bwha! Oh and speedy whore with like, chin stud, wtf was with her.

Craig
27th May 2006, 12:49 AM
Don't you know the fuck I am? I'm the juggernaut bitch! Your weapons cannot harm me.. pimp slap your ass Charles.

The movie was pretty bad. The best part about it was watching people be INSTAGIBBED and at the end when xavier entered that 1 guys body

Chikoo
27th May 2006, 01:02 AM
If there was to be another one, I would assume it'd involve Bishop and/or Cable for some reason.
As for this one, yes, it was mediocre. Multiple Man and Angel were cool. 8)

Silencer
28th May 2006, 06:38 AM
-When Professor Xavier and Juggernaut come face to face outside of Jean's house there is absolutely no form of contact between the two. Considering that Professor Xavier is Juggernaut's half brother whom he severly hates you'd think that there would have been at least an exchange of words. Or maybe at least you'd expect Professor Xavier to have mentioned that his unstoppable brother whom he imprisioned is free.
I would be expecting some interaction as well. But Jean would probably be the focus point of the moment although a few glares from Juggernaut would have been better.

-Juggernaut at one point is chasing Shadowcat through the building blasting through the walls. They reach the mutant child that can actually negate the mutant X-Gene (the source of the "cure") and when Shadowcat reaches the child first she finds she is unable to morph through the walls. Following this Juggernaut blasts through the wall, and the two dodge as he slams clear into the wall and gets knocked out from the collision because apparently his mutant powers are negated. HE'S NOT A MUTANT! Juggernaut's power actually comes much like the Rhino from Spider-man, the entire suit that he wears gives him the "unstoppable" nature and he would not be negated by the child.
It is not the suit. Not according to the show X-men evolution. Here he dilibarate "mutates" himself into the Juggernaut through some kind of crystal. Some other guy became the Juggernaut for a while and the original could die because of the loss of power. The other guy just walked around in a suit and he was still unstoppable. And seeing it could be some sort of mutation it could be the negative powers of the kid worked on him aswell.

-Juggernaut NEVER REMOVES ANY OF HIS ARMOR! Especially the helmet because that is the only thing he is susceptable to. Not to mention that his armor offers a significant amount more coverage and he actually has clamps which hold the helmet in place.
Maybe he learns afterwards?

-They kill of Cyclops in the beginning, I know that he's not a major character but come on... that's bullcrap.
He will probably come back inX-men 5 or something. They'll find a way, they always do.

Also kind of dissapointed Phoenix didn't flame up at all.

The_Missing_Link
28th May 2006, 10:56 PM
I thought the movie was cool, although I think Singer could've made it better. I wanted to see more of Angel, Shadowcat and especially Jubilee because I don't even remember seeing her in the movie. I did cry when Xavier disintegrated but to see him speaking from the dead guy was cool. Kinda makes me wonder if he can technically control the body as well and still use his powers. Also, I sort of felt sorry for Magneto when he was sitting at the bench but did a little cheer inside when he could slightly move the chess piece. I can only assume that even though so much was injected into his body, it was only temporary or his body fought back somehow

Silencer
29th May 2006, 10:35 AM
I think you can see the "cure" as a virus. Your body fights virusses and a mutant body will fight anything that supresses its normal functions. Still it would be cool if Apocalypse(with the story of X-men evolution preferably, the egyptian pharaoh/first mutant thing) would be the enemy instead of magneto, magneto and ow yes magneto. Sadly I missed the part of Xaviers "return"...

I was kind off sad that Spike was a bad mutant, but then again maybe it wasn't spike that attacked wolverine but a mutant with the same powers.

Magmar
29th May 2006, 08:06 PM
Collossus and Multi Man were kind of hot.

YEAH Multi Man was kind of hot. ^.^;

I liked Kitty the best, and Storm. I've always loved Storm!

I was reminded of Harry Potter 6 a bit with this flick for some reason. o.O; although I'm sure this was written far before HP (and DON'T get into a debate on this please, ohhhh my god)

But yeah, Kitty looks exactly like my friend Kellye, who is adorable. So I naturally thought she was coolest, and I can see Kellye doing that o_O Kellye's super though without superpowers :D

I really liked the film! It was enjoyable if you focused on the movie itself without thinking of missing elements from the comics.

.hacker
29th May 2006, 09:26 PM
I personally thought the movie was well done. I understand that the movie (or the trilogy for the matter) left out numerous details from the comics. However, I have not read the comics. It's impossible for a 2 hour film to capture all of the details from the original source. But I felt that the basic story was well told in context to the movies. Isn't it almost always the case that the movie adaption is not as true to its original source?

RedStarWarrior
30th May 2006, 01:27 PM
Perhaps it didn't appease the true X-men fans, which I feel it should have, but it did pull a large box office crowd. Unfortunately, that is all the industry cares about nowadays.

Chris 2.1
30th May 2006, 04:10 PM
I really liked it, and I havent read the comics.

I know people complained about the lack of continuity (Juggernaut/Xavier, Mystique/Nightcrawler/Rogue etc). It sucks, right? But I think it's better we don't deal with things like that when we have the length of the movie to tell the story.

Would you want the already rushed film cluttered with character relations that are there simply to be there? The Kitty/Bobby/Rogue triangle was rotten and pointless (did it even GET resolved? guh) was tacked on, and I'd hate an important relationship, or an integral story to be done in the same way.

For the writers, they'rw doing 3 films, and they can't go into the detail the comics had (which have been running for about 150 Million years I hear).

Like I said, Im not a comic reader, but its similar to how they murder Harry Potter films.

I know it's rubbish the way they do things, since these films will be more popular than the comics I imagine. The fact they killed Scott and Jean was sucky. Most of last film Scott was hanging around and I can't remember the first film much but the way they took his character didn't seem very good.

Anyway I'm not arguing with you. I just think they had to take an easy way out when making the film.

Perfect Chaos
30th May 2006, 06:14 PM
I really thought the movie was whack.

I hated the way they portrayed Cyclops in this movie and in X2 (I thought he was pretty badass in X1). But he did almost nothing in the beginning but mourn over Jean, never got over it, met her once, and then got killed when she did whatever to him.

Xavier dying was unexpected, and I felt bad after it happened. To make matters worse, I didn't see the aftermath of Xavier, after the credits rolled. Seeing Magneto lose his powers when he did was funny as hell for me, but it was cool to see him "slightly" regain them.

I too was pissed off when they made no notion of the Juggernaut/X relationship, as if it was nonexistant. Same thing goes with the Mystique/Rogue/Nightcrawler. I thought it was funny though when Magneto was betrayed by Mystique.

On the note of Nightcrawler, I think the movie would've raked in TONS if they had just brought in these three characters: Nightcrawler, Gambit (WHERE IS HE?!!!) and Omega Red. Three most badass characters from the X-Men series (at least in my opinion).

And one last note, they REALLY could've and SHOULD'VE done more with the feud between Iceman and Pyro. Make the battle go a little longer, but it was cool seeing Bobby go into his full form and then knock out Pyro.

But yeah, I'm done now, and I'm definitely assuming an X4 is coming.

-Sean

Ultimate Charizard
30th May 2006, 07:41 PM
Right well main points. To explain the whole Juggernaut/Prof X thing would have taken time, even longer to explain the real source of his powers (wasnt it a Magical Gem?) so they simply classed him as a Mutant. (Magneto wouldnt have been interested in him if he wasnt an actual Mutant).
The Costume was changed on him because A: he wasnt a 9ft tall, 6ft wide actor. And B: They didnt want him walking round looking like a human dustbin. The suit kept similar elements as a respectfull nod to the original look. He didnt do that bad a job for a Soccer player.

Can i just say as well, we never technically see Cyclops Die. And Jean never says what she did to him everyone just assumes he's dead. Does anyone know if the Studio had a falling out with the guy that plays him? Hes barely in 3 Scenes and has about 3 lines. Prof X as we know is alive though its a shame there will be a change of Actor if the series is continued. Patrick Stewart is an awesome actor. One rule of comic books though, noone is dead untill the Series ends!

This may all simply be a set up for Wolverines series of films (Hugh Jackman has signed for 3) though we dont know which period of Wolverines Life it will show. Could be the Origins story, the Weapon X years or it could be the Future series with Cable and Forge.

The main thing that did bother me was the 'lets do something but were not sure what' attitude they seem to have towards Rogue. Shes been missing powers all series and now she has None....(though she didnt get the Strength/Flight in Xmen Evo either). Again like Magneto it could just return to her. And on a connected note, do we know that Mystique betrayed Magneto? If so then why did he bother leaving Multi-Man there as a decoy unless he knew they would find him? Theyre also progressing Slowly with Ice-Man and should have developed the Pyro fued more.. He's finally learned Ice Armour but where is the Slide bit? Would have been a better entrance to the final battle than hugging kitty for dear life.

And as mentioned before, Where was Nightcrawler? What? Did Kelsey Grammar use up all the Makeup budget? Which reminds me, Beast was awesome!

And finally....What was the point of Angel? Did he actually do anything other than take up money from the Special effects budget?

Silver Ledian
30th May 2006, 08:12 PM
I have to say when I was sitting watching the film and watching all these characters die and lose their powers I was like 'NO WTF ARE YOU DOING?!!! YOU'RE NOT LEAVING ANY FOR THE NEXT FILM!!!'

In saying that, films are very clever in that they can come up with reasons why so and so didn't really die etc. Like I thought that Magneto part at the end - with the chess piece - was kinda brilliant. Didn't understand the Xavier bit at the end but whatever. I think the 'cure' is only temporary from watching that Magneto scene at the end...and actually, when Beast walked away from that boy his hands went back to 'normal' again i.e. blue and furry.

Overall the film was great in terms of the plot and effects but it was sad to see a lot of what happened also. For example, the fact that Rogue did next to nothing - I wish she'd get strong and be able to fly real soon - but I'm guessing that's because the whole first film was about her. Then Cyclops, he should have had a much bigger part - he's the leader! - and although I used to hate him being so in charge it really didn't seem the same without him - though I think the fact they wanted to give Storm a bigger role is one reason for his inactiveness.

Storm is one of my favourite X-Men of all...but I can't help but be disappointed that she doesn't shout like she did in the 90's cartoon like "LET ARCTIC WINDS MAKE ICE!" and "I COMMAND LIGHTNING!" etc. etc. She had such a big role in this film, which makes up for the lack of anything she did in the last two films...but I'm not sure whether I was totally happy with her. I'm not sure about her partnership with Wolverine, it seems an odd team coupling, but at the same time it worked.

I've grown to like Wolverine actually...in the first film it annoyed me that he had such a primary role but I like him now, I love his claws. And I liked the development of Iceman and the introduction of all the new characters. When I first saw Shadowcat as a tiny wee thing in an X-Men suit I was like 'How can you possibly play a part on the battlefield' but she was really good in the end. And Pyro/Angel/Psylocke/Mystique were all good.

I think the main aim of this film was to introduce as many more characters as possible and give lead roles to the characters that haven't done much in the past. At the same time they pulled this off at the expense of some other characters like I've already mentioned...

Oh I forgot about Jean! I thought the image of the Phoenix was brilliant! I didn't really like the explanation for the Jean/Phoenix existence thing...but ah well, I didn't expect them to travel into space and for Jean to fall into the Sun etc.

I suppose overall there were great developments but big losses. I'm still hoping for a sequel though. The Last Stand had the 4th highest grossing opening weekend in film history in the US. That's always promising.

Bison Woes
31st May 2006, 08:03 AM
My friend (a huge X-Men fan) was also disappointed with it. After knowing some things, I could say it was sub-par to the first two. The concept was great and all but I think the problem lied in that three directors were flipped around for it. It would've been nice to see some Charles/Juggernaut interaction considering they are brothers in the comic series.

The Scott thing. The actor who plays Scott said the movie sucked as well so they killed him off. That way he wasn't in it as much. Quite a reason to kill a character.

I have a strong feeling that having Gambit in the movie would've made several people's field day. And then, maybe, Rogue could've been played a little more (what, with all the RoguexGambit moments in the comic).

Hatake Kakashi
1st June 2006, 12:00 PM
Right well main points. To explain the whole Juggernaut/Prof X thing would have taken time, even longer to explain the real source of his powers (wasnt it a Magical Gem?) so they simply classed him as a Mutant. (Magneto wouldnt have been interested in him if he wasnt an actual Mutant).
The Costume was changed on him because A: he wasnt a 9ft tall, 6ft wide actor. And B: They didnt want him walking round looking like a human dustbin. The suit kept similar elements as a respectfull nod to the original look. He didnt do that bad a job for a Soccer player.

Can i just say as well, we never technically see Cyclops Die. And Jean never says what she did to him everyone just assumes he's dead. Does anyone know if the Studio had a falling out with the guy that plays him? Hes barely in 3 Scenes and has about 3 lines. Prof X as we know is alive though its a shame there will be a change of Actor if the series is continued. Patrick Stewart is an awesome actor. One rule of comic books though, noone is dead untill the Series ends!

FOX is run by raging dickheads. Same reason Singer couldn't do this, he was working on Superman. James Marsden(Scott/Cyke) was supposedly working on superman as well, and thus they were quite sore with him...

As for Nightcrawler, the game apparently explains that after some event tied to the second movie, Kurt decides that, being such a religious person, being part of the X-Men wasn't his thing.

I like the movie, personally. I still preferred the first or second but it wasn't a bad movie in my opinion.
Plus I loved full-Ice Iceman. I am a huge fan of Iceman and that was just awesome.

GreenShirT
13th June 2006, 05:28 PM
I really liked X3 and would recommend it. Im not saying it is flawless, far from it. There were lots of editing errors in it and some of the dialog and story was bad, but the action was amazing (Save for beast who should have been more graceful and agile, and more in it!!)

Archangel was totally pointless though, should have done something to bring back Alan Cummings as Nightcrawler.