PDA

View Full Version : Repetitive lines

Silencer
28th May 2006, 06:25 AM
I have some problems reading fanfics on this side. On the end of a post I can get lines that keep repeting itselves...

This URL takes you to an example, that I made through a print screen.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/Furious101/lines.jpg

mr_pikachu
28th May 2006, 04:12 PM
That happens sometimes, especially with long posts. I know what you're talking about; I've seen that sort of thing before.

There are a few things you can try to attempt to remedy the problem. You can try reloading the page, for one thing; that's probably the easiest solution when it works.

You can also try scrolling very slowly through the problem areas. Basically, just hit the down arrow slowly. This often doesn't work, as you'll usually end up seeing nothing but the black (or other background color) behind it, but it's worth a shot before trying some of the longer fixes.

Another idea, though a bit longer, is to quote the post. Hit the "QUOTE" button at the top-right of the post to do this. (Or, if you're already writing a post, click the "Insert Quote" link at the top-right.) Then, instead of making that identical post, hit the "Preview" button. That may allow you to view everything that is in the post, even if you're not making the post yourself.

Sometimes, also, you can copy and paste the post into another file (like, say, Microsoft Word), even if your browser isn't displaying the post correctly.

Finally, one last thought is to free up as much space on your computer as you can. I don't mean that you should delete files; rather, you can close other applications in order to speed up your computer. Oftentimes if your computer is running slowly, this problem is more likely to occur, whether you're on TPM, another website, or viewing a long file of your own. If you really know what you're doing, you can go into the Windows Task Manager (by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del) and shut down unnecessary processes. But I strongly advise against that if you're uncertain about what you're doing; you can end up wrecking your computer quite badly if you're not careful.

Incidentally, another common problem is that of a large gray or black "box" covering some or all of the post. If you have a mouse wheel, an easy way to remedy that one is to press the wheel (not turn it); for whatever reason, that clears the box and makes the text viewable.

Well, I hope that helps. Let us know!

Silencer
29th May 2006, 10:31 AM
Refresh doesn't work, I get a load of blackness then.

Tried to copy, can't remember if it worked but I think not.

Pressing the mouse wheel leaves the sign on the lines and haven't tried freeing up space but the only program running is firefox most of the time anyway.

Although if the post is new and I click add reply I can see the full post so I think the quote button will work aswell. Thanks for pointing out the kind of obvious -_-