PDA

View Full Version : Throw Things at Phoenixsong Because She's a Lazy Bum!

Phoenixsong
6th June 2006, 07:11 PM
(To any mods: I don't believe this qualifies as a contest or chain story or anything... I'm simply asking for some aggressive help in getting this done. If, however, there's anything wrong with posting this here then by all means move or close it.)

Hello, Fanficcers of TPM, and welcome to the official Throw Things at Phoenixsong Because She's a Lazy Bum Thread!

Now, I have a bit of a problem, and as part of the whole Writers' Lounge thing is helping out fellow authors I figure I might as well give this a shot.

My problem is this: I have about a bajillion ideas for stories (I'm only half kidding), but I'm also indecisive and have a short attention span. I love writing and I consider myself quite good at it, but most of all I just want to share my stories with someone (none of my friends like the sort of stories I do); that's why I really, REALLY want to post a fic here on TPM. But I can't exactly do that with all the motivation of a rock, now can I?

That's where you all come in. You're all such wonderful people that I figure I can count on you to... uh... motivate me. What I'm going to do is post all of the fic ideas that I'm most interested in with brief descriptions of them (as much as possible spoilers will allow), and then anyone who wants to can make suggestions as to which one I should write... suggestions, and then vote in the poll. After we've all agreed to which one I'll be writing, I may need help finalizing a few things before I can begin. Once most of all of those are settled I'm going to try my best to get this written. And if it seems like I'm taking too long... you have my express permission to throw things at my head... er, I mean, post here or else PM me telling me I'm a lazy bum and need to get off my tail. Don't be mean to me or anything, because that's flaming and I'll get you in trouble for it. But anything from gentle prodding to sarcasm is fine by me... just no outright rudeness. Summer vacation is about to begin for me, and even though I'll be having a much busier summer than usual I should still have plenty of time to write. And I plan to spend that time writing. So, start voting and then feel free to let the Throwing Things at Phoenixsong begin!

The poll will remain open for... I don't know how long right now. We'll see how it goes. I'll also be posting this on some of the other forums I belong to, and all the votes will be compiled whenever I decide I'm going to stop the polls and make a decision. You can view the poll results if you want, but understand that even though most of the TPM voters may be leaning towards The Elementals, for example, the TCoD voters might be more inclined to have me write Kratos and Estelle.

All people who help me in any way, be it by adding suggestions or throwing things at me, will be given due credit. Make sure to post letting me know you're interested... I might need to draw up a PM list or something.

So, people, you've seen the poll above the topic; now you need to decide which one you think you'd be most interested in seeing me write. Here are the descriptions:

Pokémon Fanfictions

1. The Elementals

[i]Rutherford Industries Incorporated (or Rutherford Inc.), a Pokémon company that competes with Silph Co. and Devon, has come up with a product that is sure to put them ahead of the competition: the Rutherford scientists have actually managed to genetically engineer an entire population of various new Pokémon. Rather obviously there is an uproar over "What right does man have to engineer life?!"; Ernest Rutherford and his employees simply ignore it, stating that it's all in the name of scientific advancement. The Pokémon League checks them out, sees no problem with them and reluctantly allows them to be used legally in League battles as long as none of these "Rutherford Pokémon" are allowed to enter and possibly corrupt the wild population. Many beginning Trainers take advantage of the new Pokémon to choose new starters and capture brand new creatures...

But the complaining activists are not the only ones opposed to Rutherford's creations. A bizarre order seeks to completely destroy these "mannequin Pokémon", these "crimes against nature", and only two kind-hearted members of this ancient organization stand a chance of giving the mannequins a shot at their own lives...

Young, beginning Pokémon Trainer Roger "Falco" Andellan is grumpy and apathetic, half-heartedly traveling Hoenn with his new Litthen, Sher Khan. Whether he wants to get involved in anything more than simple training or not--and he doesn't--Falco gets roped into a web of lies, strange friendships, dangerous enemies on all sides and the possibility that Ernest Rutherford might be out to do more than just make beneficial "scientific advancements"...

I've posted another topic about The Elementals in General Discussion, asking for help with Pokémon creation. You're welcome to find the topic and post your ideas there, provided you follow the guidelines I need for the story... please post all Pokémon suggestions in that topic and not here.

2. Kizuato (one-shot)

[i]Russell Langford, Jr. really wants a Cubone. He's an accomplished enough trainer with a tough and loyal Wartortle, Persian, Growlithe and Scyther; catching the Ground-type shouldn't be much of a problem... the only thing is, it IS a problem. The only place to catch Cubones is the Pokémon Tower of Lavender Town, and Russell's been terrified of the place--and of ghosts in general--ever since a bad incident at his pet Arcanine's funeral seven years ago. He finally gets his arm twisted into going ahead to catch the Cubone and visit his Arcanine's grave... but when he does he gets dragged into the mission to calm the angry Ghost-types and ghost Pokémon and stop the murderous Team Rocket. It doesn't look like Russell's going to get his Cubone any time soon...

Yu-Gi-Oh! Fanfictions

3. Shadowgate: The Dragon's Tale

Within the dark and dangerous dimension known as the Shadow Realm exists the region of Shadowgate (so called because of a magical barrier that protects it from the rest of the Realm). Shadowgate is home to a race of highly intelligent monsters with a society that in many ways is similar to Earth. The strange land is also home to some monsters who have "alternate lives"- that is, their souls and sometimes even destinies are inextricably intertwined with certain humans of Earth.

A dark and ancient force (what a surprise) wants to merge Earth and the Shadow Realm so that it can easily control both of them; in order to do so properly, however, it must first destroy the Millennium Items--all 102 of them (you heard me!)--of both worlds, thereby collapsing the barrier that keeps them separate. What begins as a simple journey to retrieve a missing family heirloom sends Bakura the Tyrant Dragon and his friends Rex the Black Tyranno and Marik the Embodiment of Apophis out on a quest to stop greedy villains and even mighty gods from achieving their evil ends.

This one is marginally similar to the Central Shadow Realm fics of Dark Sage, jkBAKURA, etc. Only not.

Raise your hand if that made absolutely no sense to you! *everyone raises their hand* Well, deal with it. I'm trying to keep this short and sweet but if you think this is something you'd like to read then by all means ask questions.

4. Louis and Lucifer (or Lord of the Sky) [started... sort of]

Twenty years have passed since Yugi Mutou and his friends had any active dealings with the Shadow Games. Bakura Ryou (do NOT complain to me about the name! I am NOT changing a thing!) and his wife Serenity (don't whine about this, either.) have moved to Long Island to raise their son, Lucifer; Téa's daughter, Louis, also stays with them while her mother travels with Off-Broadway. The headstrong Louis and the more analytical Lucifer are students in the USA's top duelists' school, NYDS, where their good grades have earned them a spot in one of the most repsected tournaments in the world. What they don't realize is that even though their parents' adventures with the Egyptian Shadow Games are over, the dark duels had an influence in other cultures all over the world... and a certain, forgotten someone wants to dredge up a few ancient Greek monsters in order to take over the world (...again... yay).

I swear that even though this story is about Yugi and the gang's kids and it takes place (at least somewhat) in New York/the States that I came up with this idea all by myself. I came up with it even before I decided to get back into fic-writing and honestly hadn't even seen DS's stories, etc. I am NOT ripping him or anyone else off. All I can say is that great minds think alike.

Both of these stories contain quite a few cards/monsters of my own creation, which will be explained as needed.

5. Know Your Duelists (TV skit sort of thing) [several completed]

Uh... not much to say here. If you've ever watched "All That" on Nickelodeon then you might be familiar with the "Know Your Stars" segment. In a nutshell, the cast member sits in a chair, waiting to be introduced to the audience by a disembodied voice in an unseen sound studio... only... they get a bit more than introduced... It's a stupid skit comedy sort of thing, written in the (generally not used) script format. But some of them make me laugh.

Tales of Symphonia Fanfictions

6. Kratos and Estelle (or Tales of Symphonia II: The Demon Stone)

Unfortunately I can't just go and describe this here, as it involves spoilers about the end of Tales of Symphonia. I will say that it involves my special ending to the original. If you want more detail then PM me before making a decision.

7. Pokémon, Tales of Symphonia Version: Special Mightyena Edition [started]

This one is a retelling of the original ToS (which I won't describe due to spoiler reasons) with a twist- I've replaced all of the characters with various Pokémon. I've also replaced the two existing possible endings with a special one of my own, added my own "side-quests" and side stories, revisited Niflheim and thrown in much spiffy, snappy dialogue. Follow the dramatic and often hilarious adventures of Lloydeyena Irving, Railette Brunel, Gevee Sage, Raineon Sage, Kratos Houndaurion, Sheenazumarill Fujibayashi, Zelosken Wilder, Preskitty Combatir and Regalking [last name omitted; spoiler] through their declining world.

8. Zelos Wilder, C.I.: Chick Investigator [in progress]

This one isn't your conventional fanfic. CI occurs after the original ToS and does include spoilers, but I can say this much: have you ever read one of those "solve it yourself" mystery books? They're generally collections of short stories, most of the time revolving around one detective, in which the detective (and therefore you) is presented with a case to solve, such as a riddle, robbery or murder. At the end of the short story the detective (or sidekick, or whoever) has figured out the answer but doesn't actually say it. You have to figure out the answer by reading hidden clues in the story; when you think you've got it, you'll post with your educated guess and then I'll reveal the actual answer along with an explanation and closure.

The basic story is that Raine wants to go off exploring a ruin and can't take her brother Genis with her; she drops him off at Zelos's mansion in Meltokio. Despite the fact that the two of them never really got along so well and begin arguing immediately, Genis reluctantly agrees to be Zelos's "sidekick" in his newest girl-seeking adventure- a stint as a private investigator (Genis calls him a "chick investigator"). Zelos and Genis solve a few funny little mysteries; Genis even has a few on his own. Light-hearted and somewhat challenging this should be... if I ever write it, that is.

Those are your options... now, show me some love, fanficcers! If you’ve got any questions then ask; I’ll either explain more here or else PM you if spoilers are involved.

Blademaster
6th June 2006, 07:30 PM
I really wanna see what happens with your Elementals story, Phoenix; I vote for that one, no doubt.

(gives you a shield to block thrown stuff)

Good luck. :wink::yes:

-Blade

mistysakura
7th June 2006, 12:13 AM
Nope, not a chain fic or a contest -- you may pass. :)
I voted for the last one, because I don't think we've ever had anything like that at TPM before. As well as being original, I think it would be lots of fun interacting with readers, and lots of people would like the idea of being able to participate. And it sounds humorous. Aside from that, I also like the idea of The Elementals; although there have been quite a lot of "creation of new Pokemon" fics, an entirely different race altogether is something new, and if implemented well, it could work quite nicely. Also, it looks like the plot's quite complex, but ties together well.

Bulbasaur4
7th June 2006, 04:11 AM
[color=royalblue]
*glomps Zelos*

I wuv Zelos!!!! I definately like the latter of the options... and I think a fic with Genis and Zelos would be a wonderful idea. It would be up beat and humerous... which like misty said, there doesn't seem to be a lot of lately.

Phoenixsong
7th June 2006, 02:55 PM
Thankies, all!

...Except you, Blademaster. I mean, I'm fine with your vote and all, but I don't want a shield to block thrown things. I want to get hit with the flying projectiles of motivation... like so. *throws shield at Blademaster*

*Blademaster ducks and the shield hits a random screen door behind him, then bounces back*

*Phoenix gets clocked by the shield*

...Right. Anyway, I think I'll wait a bit longer for some more votes... ten at the very least, maybe twenty, twenty-five. Dunno.

Blademaster
7th June 2006, 03:05 PM
I don't condone the mistreatment of women... Or men, for that matter (I believe in equality. :biggrin:).

Alright, fine, no shield, then...

(takes my shield back and walks away)

-Blade

(releases Phoebe)

"Ralts?"

Use Reflect; don't let her see you.

Phoenixsong
7th June 2006, 03:48 PM
I notice fine print, Blade. *takes Phoebe from behind the random screen door and hands her back* Thanks, but no thanks... it ain't mistreatment if I ask for it. Houdini asked people to punch him in the stomach, right?

*remembers that Houdini got killed like that*

Okaaaayy, bad example... but if the throwing of the things at the Phoenixsong gets too painful I can just have my Bagon Ryuhaeru use Protect. 'S'all good.

mr_pikachu
8th June 2006, 03:04 AM
I'm going to be mean to you, because I can! Muahahaha!

...Erm, no.

*quickly slides modstick back into pocket*

Anyway, I'm hard-pressed to vote against Elementals, if only because I and others contributed to the Poke-creation. Some of the others sound quite interesting too, though. To be honest, the script format is very unorthodox, but your "Know Your Duelists" idea sounds sort of fun. If you do it well, it could be worthwhile. I'm also intrigued by the last one, as Ada was. Even though many of the ToS suggestions aren't very exciting to me (since I've never played the game), that one does pique my curiosity. And the Cubone story might also be good, both because the story sounds fairly original and because if it stays as a one-shot, it wouldn't take too much time away from any other writing you wanted to accomplish. Not that it has to be a one-shot - in fact, extending the plotline might be a good idea if it gets too long - but if you do want it to stay that way, that's one of the advantages of that style of fanfiction.

Yeah, I'm sure that my positive comments on so many of your ideas didn't help you eliminate anything, so maybe this reply will be worthless to you. But it's the thought that counts!

Phoenixsong
8th June 2006, 02:37 PM
And the thought is appreciated. Even though it didn't help at all, you're right. :)

Saffire Persian
9th June 2006, 05:44 PM
Anything with a Persian in has my immediate approval. *shallow* >.>

And, being an eternal Tales fan, the little Zelos one (the mystery) sounds cool, and the Poké Symphonia sounds interesting, but not too much more than that. (You're drawings of them were awesome though)!

Phoenixsong
18th June 2006, 10:59 PM
Aherm. Just wanted to mention something in case it helps any future voters.

I wanted to add a little note on Louis and Lucifer and The Dragon's Tale: I noticed that no one seems too interested in them on either of the forums I posted this topic in. I would assume it is because they are the sort of... well... someone's called them "save the world or, like, everyone dies" fanfics that everyone sees everywhere, especially by amateur fanficcers with no sense of originality. "We've seen that same plotline a bajillion times before, Phoenix, and we're sick of it... your other ideas are so creative, why should you waste your time on a sophomoric and overused story like this?"

The first answer is: Because I've had these ideas for an excruciatingly long time and I feel like writing them some day, thank you very much. (You wouldn't believe the bizarre and idiotic transformations The Dragon's Tale has gone through over the years... they're actually sort of embarrasing.)

The second answer: I understand that the story is one huge cliché, especially when it comes to YGO fics. The truth of the matter is that the "save the world or, like, everyone dies" plotline is almost as old as storytelling itself; it's been around for centuries and will still be around for centuries to come. Now, I just finished a book on fiction writing that had all of these deep, insightful things to say about how there are actually only 36 unique plotlines that have ever existed in the history of mankind and that every story you'll ever read falls into one of those 36 categories, and you'd probably agree once you saw the list yourself, but I won't bore you with all of that. All I have to say is that yes, the plot is old and tired, and I'm generally against writing stories with old and tired plots. However, if you're going to write a story/fic that utilizes an old and tired plot (and according to my book, all stories do) then you need to approach it from a different angle; serve the same old story with brand-new, fancy side dishes. That way, people get the kind of lesson/connection/whatever they're used to, but still get something fresh out of it.

That said, my two serious YGO fanfics are not your run-of-the-mill "save the world or everyone dies" stories. The plot of The Dragon's Tale does rely on the giant scary evil cliché psycho guy and his attempts at world domination, yes, but I really intended it to be an exercise in world-building for my original fantasy novels. How can I take a section of the creepy and generally boring Shadow Realm and make it like a unique world with its own mannerisms, traditions, history, language... and how can I take the familiar cast of Yu-Gi-Oh and make them, both the actual humans and their monster counterparts, interact with said world? That sort of story really intrigues me.

Similarly, Louis and Lucifer isn't just another story about another tournament and oh, god, some crazy guy is using the tournament as a means to destroy the earth. What a surprise... (Nothing against the people who are writing stories with this plot as of now, btw... the ones I can think of are better authors than I am and are certainly making their stories interesting. Otherwise they wouldn't be as wildly popular as they are.) If there's one thing that I really adore it's ancient Greek and Egyptian mythology (or however that statement should be worded.) Well, Kazuki Takahashi already used the Egyptian shtick with the original Yu-Gi-Oh stuff, so I figgered I'd try my hand at using Greek mythology instead... see how adhering to the classical mythological traditions would work in a fic and how I could tweak those traditions to make interesting heroes, villains and new monsters. Besides, I need to tell this story in order for its sequel, The Brothers Blue Eyes, to work... (and TBBE has a WAY different plot, I assure you.)

Anyway, that long rant was just to say that there's more to my "save the world or, like, everyone dies" fics (I love that phrase... gotta remember the name of the guy who said that) than what I was able to say. Not that I'm pressuring anyone to vote for them: if you just honestly think that CI or Kizuato sounds more interesting then by all means vote for them, and if you hate YGO with a passion then that's fine. I'm just bringing this up in the event it helps anyone make a decision; I still have no bias as to which of these to work on first.

On the voting: Would any new voters PLEASE remember to post your suggestion before/after you vote? I just wanna make sure I can give all of my motivators proper credit for helping me out.

Shutting up now.

mr_pikachu
18th June 2006, 11:59 PM
Out of curiosity, what was that book you mentioned? You know, the one with the 36 categories? I might be interested in checking out that one myself...

And it's true that in any piece, there will always be some elements that are unoriginal. But it's crucial to twist it, to make it unique in your own way. When you can take the old standards and turn them on their heads, that's when you've got something with potential.

Phoenixsong
19th June 2006, 10:49 PM
It's called Theme and Strategy and is part of the "Elements of Fiction Writing" series that I believe is published by Writers' Digest. My mom just returned the book to the library today, though, and I can't remember the author's name for the life of me. But anyway, the entire series is quite useful. Uh... yeah.

The book isn't just about the 36 themes and whatnot, it's about constructing fiction well in general. It has them all listed in the appendix, though, and references an older book that was entirely about the 36... whatever-they-ares.

*beats head on desk* Darn it, I remembered a few other stories I wanted to write... but I can't right now, as they're nowhere near as ready as these eight. Dang. Stupid overactive imagination!