PDA

View Full Version : Beating Super Mario 64 -- In 20 minutes

Saffire Persian
21st June 2006, 11:40 PM
... o.0 I kid you not. I watched it, and was just suprised as you just might be... Whoever this guy is, he had "mad skillz". XD Even if he didn't beat the game in twenty minutes, I would be impressed by the sheer speed on which this guy can go. Wow. XD

The Video. Watch it. o.0 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8581821548463307114&q=super+mario+64+in+20+minutes)

Crazy
22nd June 2006, 09:56 AM
Wow interesting glitches, I never knew about them. 20mins....wonder how long the practice for this lasted?

Alucard
22nd June 2006, 11:25 AM
That's fucking nuts. I love watching these kinda movies. The metroid one is pretty rad too and the other mario ones.

Ace64
22nd June 2006, 11:28 AM
I remember seeing this one before. What strikes me is how long this guy must have practiced... I mean, I never knew about those glitches at all, so he had to practice them for a while. What if he took too long and went over twenty minutes? All over again...

Heald
22nd June 2006, 02:01 PM
I was impressed, at least, up until the ending where the blurb at the end goes 'LIKE THIS OR YOU'RE A FAGGOT NOT A GAMER'.

Also, I saw this a while ago, but worth posting anyway.

Starry Might
22nd June 2006, 02:24 PM
Me and my Dad saw something like this quite awhile back - in fact, that video was listed there, too - but it was 16 mintues (according to the description - I had forgotten 'til now) and it was done on an N64 emulator (please don't kill me for saying that... ~_~).

I'll watch this later when I have more time. Actually, I think I'll wait 'til my Dad gets home from work to do this, so we can both watch this together. :)

phaedrus
22nd June 2006, 02:34 PM
using an emulator probably means that they had some slowdown machine to allow them to do this. it was pretty ridiculous, seeing 20 minutes of my life being wasted...

Jeff
22nd June 2006, 05:54 PM
Interesting, the video was so jerky at times though, I could barley tell what was going on. I knew about the stair glitches but the rabbit one is new to me, as well as most of the shortcuts.

Starry Might
22nd June 2006, 07:24 PM
using an emulator probably means that they had some slowdown machine to allow them to do this. it was pretty ridiculous, seeing 20 minutes of my life being wasted...

According to the website of the people who did the 16 minute run, they use stuff like slow-motion (kinda like what you said) and savestates for what they call their "Tool-assisted movies".

Anyways, me and my Dad are watching this as I type this (I got it paused right now so it can buffer ahead some). So far, I like it (even though they started the actual filming when you go into the castle for the very first time).

I really liked the part where the guy ran under the giant Whomp boss as he was ready to pancake Mario to avoid being flattened - neat trick.

Anyways, we're gonna start watching the video again...

EDIT: Saw the whole thing - very cool video! Much better than the 16 mintue one, since it uses the real game.

Anyone who can't appreciate this video shouldn't call themselves a gamer.
I did appreciate it (not saying that nobody else her did, so don't misinterpret that statement!), so I've got nothing to worry about there. :lol: ;)

Jeff
24th June 2006, 09:40 PM
I really liked the part where the guy ran under the giant Whomp boss as he was ready to pancake Mario to avoid being flattened - neat trick.

That's how I've always beaten that boss, it's actually easier than the alternative. The one thing that really amazed me was all the shortcuts, where they would just jump somewhere and be in a part of the level you wouldn't expect them to be in. For example, I never thought of doing a wall kick to get the star in Whomp's Fortress that most people use the cannon to get.

Dark Dragonite
24th June 2006, 10:07 PM
I've seen it, started with watching mario3 beaten in under 5 mins, then mario 2, and the original mario, then I started watching other speed games.

Saffire Persian
24th June 2006, 11:11 PM
That's how I've always beaten that boss, it's actually easier than the alternative. The one thing that really amazed me was all the shortcuts, where they would just jump somewhere and be in a part of the level you wouldn't expect them to be in. For example, I never thought of doing a wall kick to get the star in Whomp's Fortress that most people use the cannon to get.

Exactly -- and can you believe the jumping on that Princess Peach slide thing?! He JUMPED off and landed. I just went "0___0" right there.

SupremeChampion
25th June 2006, 12:11 PM
[i]wow man, i can def. appreciate that... that was amazing, so many glitches i never knew about, and half of them happened so fast i'd need to watch it again like 5 more times to actually see how he did them all!

~The Italian Stallion

Chris 2.1
25th June 2006, 07:00 PM
maybe im not a 'hardcore enough' gamer but achieving completion through a glitch isn't completing it at all. Ok so yea he got from the beginning to defeating Bowser in 20mins, but how much of that was gaming skill and how much was googling "super mario 64 glitches"?

The jumping around and not falling off the edge and dying was impressive. I tend to do that. But then again, I'm not really hardcore. Thank god.

Starry Might
27th June 2006, 02:20 PM
maybe im not a 'hardcore enough' gamer but achieving completion through a glitch isn't completing it at all. Ok so yea he got from the beginning to defeating Bowser in 20mins, but how much of that was gaming skill and how much was googling "super mario 64 glitches"?

The jumping around and not falling off the edge and dying was impressive. I tend to do that. But then again, I'm not really hardcore. Thank god.

I've actually found a video of a guy doing a "Super Mario 64" speed run WITHOUT glitches while looking for speed runs of games in general awhile back (having been inspired to because of the 20 minute "SM64" speed run video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u17Z3UK716g&search=super%20mario%2064%20speed%20run

The video's 1 hour, 19 minutes, and 4 seconds long, so I won't be actually watching it right now (haven't got the time).

LiLMewmew
27th June 2006, 10:10 PM
I've seen one that is 16 minutes, .. and that was totally crazy (different from this one, different stars were obtained)

Mega Horny
28th June 2006, 07:27 AM
Yeah, i was just going to say that. Go to gametheater.org. They have better quality and more vareity.

and check out this one: http://www.gametheater.org/detail.php?video=245. Its even crazier. Its fricken insane the maneuvers he does at such a quick pace.

Alucard
28th June 2006, 09:08 AM
Yeah, i was just going to say that. Go to gametheater.org. They have better quality and more vareity.

and check out this one: http://www.gametheater.org/detail.php?video=245. Its even crazier. Its fricken insane the maneuvers he does at such a quick pace.

No offence to the other guy, but thats far better to watch. The jumps in that are fucking insane.

Mega Horny
28th June 2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah, you mean the one I posted right? The time is slightly longer, but cutscenes are included as well as clever uses of several glitches. He also executes each jump perfectly as if hes memorized every inch of the game. He doesnt hesistate either. Watch to the part where he grabs the vulture, it was crazy.

Saffire Persian
28th June 2006, 10:43 AM
*goes to watch* ^^

Elec Man EXE
28th June 2006, 04:49 PM
I've lost all faith as a gamer after watching those... freaking amazing.

Master Rudy
22nd July 2006, 02:14 PM
Holy shit.....and I used to think I was good at SM64.....