PDA

View Full Version : If I ask for help with a team concept, will I get an answer?

Phraug
24th June 2006, 03:30 PM
I'm very much a newb to this generation of Pokemon games -- that's why I'm asking for help. (I played Yellow like crazy when I was younger, but I haven't played much since then.)

Instead of raising some oddball set of Pokemon to level 45 to beat the Elite Four, I'm trying to plan a more...er, planned, well-bred team so I also have something decent to battle with at an upcoming Nintendo event. (The Celebi one.) So this team is planned with the Elite Four in mind.

If people don't want to help with team concept, the real question I need to ask is this: If a Pokemon already has a naturally strong base stat in the stat it will be using the most (say, a Physical Sweeper Absol) should I still plan the Nature, IVs, and EVs to boost that stat? Or should I work on the theory that that stat will be high enough, and boost something like Defense, which Absol is weak in? Tips on stat planning in general would be helpful.

Also, which is better on a Pikachu with Volt Tackle: Light Ball, which doubles its Sp.Atk, or Shell Bell, which will partially cancel out Volt Tackle's recoil? (Kind of important with Pikachu's low HP)

I'm also not very up on items, so any tips with that will be helpful.

Here are my notes so far:

Absol
(Physical Sweeper)
Shadow Ball
Slash
Double Team
?

Skitty
EV/IV : Def., Speed
(Tank, Baton Pass)
Baton Pass
Defense Curl
Double Team
Toxic? Thunderbolt? (Thinking about Thunderbolt because I accidentally bred a whole bunch of Skitty that know it, but Toxic makes more sense)

Slakoth @ Lax Incense?
EV/IV : Def., Sp.Def, HP?
(Tank, Sweeper)
Hyper Beam
Shadow Ball
Slack off?
Reversal?

Pikachu/Raichu @ Shell Bell? Light Ball?
(Speed Sweeper)
Volt Tackle
Thunderbolt
Double Team
?

Starmie
Rapid Spin
?
(In case of Spikes -- not much use against E4, but kinda important in link battles -- but I've never trained a Staryu before.)

I'm thinking about Skarmory or Gyarados, because they have a sort of natural tank nature -- nothing seems to damage them much -- but the movesets my current ones have are a little crap, and I'm not sure what would be best for them. Altaria would also be good against the Dragon dude (I'm not very fond of Ice pokemon) but I haven't had much luck training Swablu.

Any advice would be really useful. :) Thanks in advance.