PDA

View Full Version : What people think of the new pokemon

popnfresh
29th June 2006, 06:30 PM
What do you pokemon fans think about the sneak peek at the new pokemon in pearl and diamond, Munchlax, Bosley and Mime jr

Elec Man EXE
30th June 2006, 10:31 AM
I hate the fact that they keep adding more baby pokemon.

I know they're adding them for the "cute" factor, but why not just make new pokemon that are basic and cute, rather than going back and rehashing old pokemon and giving them babys.

Mega Horny
30th June 2006, 10:40 AM
Most of the new pokemon are ridiculously un-original and painfully boring. I like original ideas like Exeggutor, and Marowak.

Psychic_legend
30th June 2006, 10:50 AM
I think they look alittle foolish, I like the idea of a 'note bird', thats sort of original, but I think they need more new pokemon that don't evolve from/to an old one, I think thats stupid and boring, only if its another EEVEELUTION do i want that,LOL, but i hope they have some kick arse pokemon, i would really like to see more of those cool/beautiful but deadly pokemon like Milotic and Gardevoir and Espeon, those are my speciality, ones that look really cool,but pack a good punch.

jeishin
1st July 2006, 12:02 AM
I always perfered the ones that looked the most like actual monsters and were the most 'natural' [i.e., they were like animals...no clothing, accessories, etc]. Though for some reason, I do like Alakazam's spoons ...

Honestly, I think they started going downhill with the GSC pokemon. Alot just seemed either too bland or plain retarded to me. [Did the designers change or what?!] The three legendary dogs just looked like... Digimon-esk overkill compared to the legendary birds. Celebi makes me raise my eyebrow and ask 'this is Mew's replacement?'. There were a number that I did like however.

The RSE batch seemed like ever a further step down. Though I must admit that I never really got around to knowing them so well. And again, there were ones I liked.

This latest batch really doesn't look to bad sofar, IMHO. ^^ It would be nice to see some more Eeveelutions. A grass type evolution of Eevee is well over due. An ice, ghost, steel, fighting, rock, ground, poison, dragon, or bug. Wait, no, a bug type evolution might be disgusting. A beefed up normal type evolution of Eevee might be interesting. Or a baby Eevee. An entire dynasty of Eevees.

Actually, it'd be cool if stage 3 evolutions were introduced. Any idea if there will be any new types introduced?

Crazy Elf Boy
1st July 2006, 01:33 AM
Nah i don't think any new types will be introduced because they have already covered most of the elements. But i think the names of the pokemon could be a little better and I really want another Eeveelution. Plus whats wrong with the RSE batch i like them.
*cough* Flygon Rules *cough*

Elec Man EXE
3rd July 2006, 10:54 AM
I don't get all the bashing on the Ru/Sa generation either. A lot of people keep going on saying they're all uninventive and lame compared to the first gen, but I don't see it.

I like the 3rd gen for the most part. I don't see the so-called "decline" of quality.

It might be that as Pokemon goes on, the "new" factor that the series possessed initially is wearing off, and because of that people think the new pokemon aren't cool.

lordsalamence
3rd July 2006, 11:06 PM
I think all of them look fruity and ridiculus.

Drago
3rd July 2006, 11:44 PM
I took issue with the 'doubles' in RuSa. Silcoon and Cascoon, Volbeat and Illumise, Plusle and Minun... More or less the same with minor alterations here and there. Regardless, I didn't care how many lame Pokemon I came across, just as long as I found six ones I liked to use in my team. Breloom, baby!!

Back on topic, I'm still yet to see anything new that wows me but I have no doubt that there will be some sweet new additions upcoming. The only baby Pokemon I want to see is still a baby Vulpix (it's constantly said that upon birth, the Pokemon has a single white tail), I hope that this generation has a sufficient amount of worthwhile new fire Pokemon (definite lack in RuSa), as well as some strong Grass-types. I'm a grass apologist, it gets screwed over on the ratio of advantages.

Blademaster
4th July 2006, 12:30 AM
I gotta say, I've always been a bit bummed about how many weaknesses Grass Pokemon have, too, some of which don't even make sense (Fire, Poison, Ice, and even Bug I can understand, but Flying? Plenty of Grass attacks can reach airborne creatures, and it's not like a lot of flying animals are plant-eaters [aside from some bugs].).

So, in order to combat this problem, I propose more wacky Grassy hybrids - namely, the lethal Grass/Rock combo.

(All hail Boldrealis, the Moss Pokemon! :dance:)

And I honestly can't complain too much about lame Pokemon I've seen, because while some are pretty bad, a lot of others are much better than I could do - take Breloom itself, for instance. I mean, a fighting mushroom? Come on, who could think of something like that?

Glalie is another good choice - they've taken a hockey mask and made it a symbol of fear.... wait a minute...

Anyway, think of all the originality - a totem pole-bird, an undying bug's vengeful, reanimated exoskeleton, a supersonic dragonfly (Which is quite ironic,since dragonflies are like the laziest bugs on Earth.), a steamroller-elephant, etc.

But my personal favorite, as far as all-out bizarre and just plain original ideas in Pokemon go, is and always has been Hitmontop - who can't love a break-dancing Pokemon? Who? A Hitmontop spinning on his head on an unfolded cardboard box, to the sides of whom are a Hitmonlee with his arms crossed over his chest and his hands forming 'V' signs and a bling-wearing, shades-donning Hitmonchan lugging a jambox on his shoulder... How much more original can Pokemon get?

:rotfl:

Starry Might
4th July 2006, 02:07 PM
So, in order to combat this problem, I propose more wacky Grassy hybrids - namely, the lethal Grass/Rock combo.

(All hail Boldrealis, the Moss Pokemon! :dance:)
Lileep and Cradily are Rock/Grass types. Or did you meant that you want more of those kind?

Anyways, I've seen Munchlax before, and it's all right with me, but I dunno if I've seen pics of Bosley and Mime Jr. yet...link, please?

Mega Horny
4th July 2006, 05:00 PM
http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/pokemon.shtml

Blademaster
4th July 2006, 08:31 PM
Lileep and Cradily are exactly what I mean, Starry - let me tell you all a little story...

I don't know about you, but when I played Pokemon Ruby, beat the Elite Four, and faced Steven, I had surprisingly little problems beating his Pokemon. I could handle his Skarmory my Manectric's Thunder, Aggron and Metagross with my Blaziken's Overheat and Graveler's Earthquake, and Claydol and Armaldo with my Gyarados' Surf, Tropius' Solarbeam, and Mightyena's Crunch, but his Cradily caused me more pain than any other Pokemon in the game.

Why?

Because Grass and Rock types cover each others strengths and weaknesses so well, it's not funny: Fire, Flying, Poison, Ice, and Bug destroy Grass, but Cradily's Rock nature stops them dead, and Water and Ground beat Rock something fierce, but Cradily's Grass-ness shrugs them off with ease.

The only Pokemon that have a decent advantage over Cradily are Steel and Fighting types, which my team typically lacks - Manectric's Iron Tail, Blaziken's Sky Uppercut and Double Kick, and Graveler's Rock Smash were the only super-effective moves I had, but Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb/Toxic usually brought them down pretty fast, and Spikes just made the healing-juggling game I'd play with Cradily sap my power even faster... I only ever beat Cradily by pumping my Blaziken's HP to max and shaking off Toxic with a Full Restore, chipping away Cradily's health to the yellow with Overheat and Blaze Kick, and then, just before it's HP sank to the red and Steven used a Full Restore, finishing it with a Double Kick that (thankfully) caused a Critical Hit...

So, you see, while facing a Grass/Rock Pokemon is a very unpleasant experience, having one on your team isn't a bad idea, since they're almost impossible to KO quickly; a Grass/Rock Pokemon that could learn Earthquake and a Psychic move would be an invaluable addition to almost any team...

But, I digress - Rock/Grass is a great combo, but it's almost impossible to make work, unless Nintendo ever makes a Petrified Wood Pokemon... :-/

-Blade

Elec Man EXE
5th July 2006, 01:33 PM
Rock/Grass type is still weak to Ice.

Rock is not resistant or weak to ice, its neutral.

And Cradily is hard to take down not only because of the typing, but because it has tank stats. Very high special defense, and decent normal defense as well.

*Murkrow
6th July 2006, 03:59 AM
Out of those released, I love Perap (I've wanted a parrot-like Pokémon for bloody years), and I like Weavile, Bouysel and Lucario. The rest are pretty meh, though. I've never really cared for the baby Pokémon, and when I first saw Manaphy, I actually laughed because I thought it looked so ridiculously childish.

I do want to see what the newly revealed ones look like, though. The blue legend thing (seeing as it really couldn't be anything else but a legend) looks pretty neat so far. The others...meh again though maybe seeing a better resolution picture would make them more appealing.

Oh, and I want a Murkrow evolution. :P That'd make three of my most wanted Pokémon appear in one game.

Knight of Time
13th July 2006, 12:51 PM
Hmm, all the new Pokemon I've seen have given me varying degrees of interest, right now, I really like Weavile, Lucario, the new electric squirrel Pokemon and the new scorpionish Pokemon that's supposed to be a Poison/Dark type. Imagine, with this Pokemon's Psychic immunity that other Poison types are weak to, looks like we're finally getting a Poison type w/o a Psychic weakness (but they still have the Ground weakness, in fact, this new scorpion Pokemon is only weak to Ground moves).

Jeff
13th July 2006, 11:37 PM
So far I like them all, especially Pachirisu (squirrells are so awesome). The legendarys seem interesting. Them being the rulers of time and space seems like an interesting concept.

And by the way, it seems like it's been confirmed that Perap is Normal/Flying and not pure Flying like alot of people have speculated. I'd say told you so, but I'm not that kind of person :P.

Chris 2.1
14th July 2006, 07:39 AM
Its unlike them to say Perappu was a flying type and then tell us s/he was normal and flying.

Starry Might
17th July 2006, 02:24 PM
http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/pokemon.shtml

Thanks. Actually, I have seen Bonsly before, and maybe Lucario, too. I've actually seen Weavile before in a Diamond/Pearl screen at that site, too.

This is the first time I've seen the others, though (besides Munchlax, of course). Tamanta is so cute. ^_^

Diaruga, Parukia, Dorapion, and that Electabuzz evolution look really wild! I'm guessing that Diaruga and Parukia are gonna be like Groudon and Kyorge. :)

But, I digress - Rock/Grass is a great combo, but it's almost impossible to make work, unless Nintendo ever makes a Petrified Wood Pokemon... :-/
First of all, that was quite a story you told in your original post. :eek:

Secondly, there are already technically petrified wood Pokemons (even though they're pure Rock)...Bonsly and Sudowoodo! ;)

rinku
18th July 2006, 01:55 AM
Rock/Grass type is still weak to Ice.

Rock is not resistant or weak to ice, its neutral.

Also Bug. Bug attacks are supereffective vs Rock/Grass.

However, Rock is supereffective vs. Ice-type and Bug-type, so generally a Cradily with a good Rock attack can pro-actively defend itself against those types, or at least trade damage.

In any case the point is good that Rock/Grass covers each other pretty well. You get four x2 vulnerabilities (Bug, Ice, Steel, Fighting), two x2 resistances (Normal, Electric) and the rest neutral.

Magmar
18th July 2006, 03:04 PM
Most people think Rock is weak to Ice, lol, but it isn't.

I thought I already replied to this thread?

Haha, Mime Jr. What a creative name.

Blademaster
18th July 2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah, Mime Jr. may be a good nickname for a baby Mr. Mime, but not an actual name. That'd be like giving these Pokemon these names:

Snorlax: Fat Bastard
Gengar: Creepy Shadow
Tropius: Flying Leaf Dinosaur
Graveler: Big Rock
Pikachu: Electric Rat
Sentret: Are you ****ing kidding me?
Forretress: Big Paperweight
Spinda: Dizzy Thing
Kingdra: Deformed Seahorse

etc., etc., etc.... Goodbye originality; hello simplicity...

mr_pikachu
18th July 2006, 03:16 PM
Ah, but don't forget that most of those names wouldn't fit into ten letters. Therefore, they couldn't be used as Pokemon names. It's the law.

Blademaster
18th July 2006, 03:30 PM
Heh... you underestimate me, mr_pikachu - I can make ANYTHING 10 letters or less! Behold!

(shrinks names)

Snorlax: Fatbastard
Gengar: CreePshadO
Tropius: FlyLEfDnSR
Graveler: Bigrock
Pikachu: Electrorat
Sentret: RUFNKdNme?
Forretress: Bigpaperw8
Spinda: Dizzything
Kingdra: D4mdChorse

Mega Horny
22nd July 2006, 01:14 PM
LMAO! Hotmedal! That should be your nickname theme! Gyrados BigCDragon or something ^^

Cool Trainer Jess
23rd July 2006, 11:50 AM
I hate the fact that they keep adding more baby Pokemon.

I know they're adding them for the "cute" factor, but why not just make new Pokemon that are basic and cute, rather than going back and rehashing old Pokemon and giving them babies.

I agree.Azurill was okay with me but they keep adding more! :mad:

Alucard
23rd July 2006, 03:44 PM
The possible Roselia evolution looks pretty cute with it's lil white mask and all.

Houndoom_Lover
23rd July 2006, 04:48 PM
I personally dislike new pokemon because some are just cuter versons of the old ones. But I like most of them. Second season has to be my favorite, tho'...

Phoenixsong
23rd July 2006, 11:29 PM
I think this should sum it up:

Munchlax: Uh... meh.

Bonsly: DIE, EVIL SHRUNKEN TREE!

Lucario: Hm, don't care too much for Steel and Fighting is sorta meh-ish t'me (except Blaziken and Breloom!)... might they actually have combined into a Pokémon I like?

Weavile: I... need... now... evil... weasel... gah! *heavy breathing* Its ears even match now! Yay! You don't know how long that bothered me about Sneasel... I'm such a nitpick.

Mime Jr.: First of all, that's a dumb name. The only reason it works is because stupid Nintendo made a mistake giving Mr. Mime its English name and now they need to work with that crap. Oh, yeah, and I generally dislike Mr. Mime and babies in general.

Buizeru: 'Bout dang time they came up with an otter Pokémon. I need that one, too.

Perappu: See above, then insert the word "parrot" in lieu of "otter".

Tamanta: AGAIN with the baby versions of Pokémon I hate?! Why do you mock me, Nintendo?! Why do you make me spend time with Pokémon I don't give a crap about, then waste box space on a baby that is useless except for Pokédex reasons? WHY?!

Manafi: People keep saying they hate it... I don't mind. Really. What REALLY sucks about it is the fact that a) they broke the tradition of making the Mew-dude a Psychic-type, which bugs me *nitpick* and b) you need Pokémon Ranger to get it, a game which I don't particulary care to pay for in any hurry.

Parukia: It's okay, I guess... it's no Raikou, Suicune or Lugia, but I suppose I like it.

Diaruga: The cone-head turns me off. Originally I thought the cone-head was two huge ears... it really did look like ears in those bad screenshots from before, you know. (My brother thought it was a scorpion, heh...) If it didn't have the ugly cone-head, though, I'd probably like it more than Parukia.

Pachirisu: Aww, look, another Pikachu clone, right down to the electric-sac cheeks!... at least it's not another dang mouse, though. Other than the blatant lack of originality in the design department, though, I like it. Again, we needed a squirrel.

Cheirimu: It's one giant meh. I don't like most of the Grass-types and I probably won't like this. The idea that it blossoms/opens up during Sunny Day is clever, though, I'll give Ninty that.

Dorapion: Meh. Its new attacks seem interesting... I wanna see what else learns 'em first.

Rozureido: I never liked Roselia, but I guess it's an improvement... Roselia has officially moved up from "scum of the earth" to "tolerable" on my Poké-Cool-O-Meter.

Korubooshi: Uh... I still don't know exactly what it is... if it's true that it's related to Volbeat/Illumise, though, then it's meh. I don't like them.

Evo-Electabuzz: I now officially decree that this thing's English name is Uglybuzz. Enough said. It might improve Ebuzz's only-sorta-decent stats, though.

Long story short, so far most of what I've seen are new versions of Pokémon I either don't really care for or else outright hate. The others are anywhere from decent to cool... still, wake me up when they break out the new Dragon-types, Fire-types, Eeveelutions and evolved Mightyena and Breloom. I'm done.

+conspiracy+
24th July 2006, 06:17 AM
Breloom will never get an evo, its too good, i doubt whether mightyena will recieve one, as it will still need a good boost in stats...

As for the new pokes, none of them really spike to my interest, but I hope that a lot of rby pokes get new evos like electabuzz (i.e. magmar, jynx, mr. mime, pinsir, and maybe even lickitung) and i guess a few more baby pokes couldnt hurt...

Out of the newly released ones though, I must say that Weavile will be one hell of a pokemon... if the physical/special typing of attacks are altered, then Weavile will be a beast with crunch, ice punch becoming physical..

Starry Might
24th July 2006, 02:07 PM
Yeah, Mime Jr. may be a good nickname for a baby Mr. Mime, but not an actual name. That'd be like giving these Pokemon these names:

Snorlax: Fat B[******]
Gengar: Creepy Shadow
Tropius: Flying Leaf Dinosaur
Graveler: Big Rock
Pikachu: Electric Rat
Sentret: Are you ****ing kidding me?
Forretress: Big Paperweight
Spinda: Dizzy Thing
Kingdra: Deformed Seahorse

etc., etc., etc.... Goodbye originality; hello simplicity...
:lol: You should be hired by Nintendo of America to translate the names of the new Pokemon! ;)

:143:: "GET IN MY BELLY!" (Couldn't resist... :heh:)

Everoy
24th July 2006, 03:23 PM
Tamanta: AGAIN with the baby versions of Pokémon I hate?! Why do you mock me, Nintendo?! Why do you make me spend time with Pokémon I don't give a crap about, then waste box space on a baby that is useless except for Pokédex reasons? WHY?!

<SNIP>

Pachirisu: Aww, look, another Pikachu clone, right down to the electric-sac cheeks!... at least it's not another dang mouse, though. Other than the blatant lack of originality in the design department, though, I like it. Again, we needed a squirrel.

<SNIP>

Rozureido: I never liked Roselia, but I guess it's an improvement... Roselia has officially moved up from "scum of the earth" to "tolerable" on my Poké-Cool-O-Meter.

You phail, phail, and partial-phail (Yay, Roselia!). Other than that, you're right on the money.