PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about the terms used here for pokemon...

King
27th March 2003, 07:30 PM
Hey, i've heard alot of talk about different kinds of pokemon, like pseudohazers, sweepers, hazers, etc. and i was wondering if somebody could help me to understand what all these mean... i understand a few, such as hazers, but it'd help if i had an actual definition for all of the types (including the ones that i didn't list above). Thanx a bunch

Crufidal
27th March 2003, 07:36 PM
I'll... try to remember as many as I can. Be sure to post all the ones you still don't get after all this!

Annoyer - Something generally that has either high defenses or is very resistant, usually involves paralyzing, confusing, attracting, double teaming, anything to annoy the opponent.

Trapper - Something that uses Mean Look. From there, one could use Toxic and / or become an annoyer, or they could even use Perish song and become a perish-trapper.

Pseudohazer - Something that has the ability to haze without using the haze attack. The only two attacks are Roar and Whirlwind, as they force the opponent to switch and lose all stat boosts. OOh, this phrase = coined by Quagy, by the way.

Sweepers - Strong Pokemon with generally attacking movesets that are meant to be able to take out a chunk of the opponents team.

Pseudopasser - Something that uses Light Screen, Reflect, Safeguard, or even Mist, and switches out, allowing the following Pokemon to have those lasting effects.

Hmm... tell me what else you need help with :)

Scythemantis
27th March 2003, 07:38 PM
Edited to exclude what you beat me to explaining :)

Healbellers, aromatherapists, and hazers you can tell the purpose of by their names.

Sweepers are usually brought out towards the end of a fight when you've worn down most of your opponents team. It's sometimes used like a "finisher" pokemon, but others prefer to bring them out earlier. Many sweepers have only four damage-dealing moves. A team of six "sweepers" is the usual newbie team, and sounds good to them but is easily gutted by more strategic movesets.

Pseudohazers use moves such as roar, which force the opponents to switch, in order to reset stat boosts, a substitute for actual hazing.

Baton passers boost up their stats (like with double team, amnesia, and so on) and then use baton pass, which brings out another of your pokemon and gives them all the stat boosts the passer had.

Tanks are pokemon with extremely high defense and special defense, usually with healing moves, intended to slow down the enemy or stop them dead. A good tank takes wastes tons of the opponent's valuable PP. Tanks are also kinda interchangeable with trappers and annoyers. The lines between all three get really blurry with pokemon like Dusclops and Shuckle.

King
29th March 2003, 01:28 PM
ok, kewl, the only one i still don't get is aromatherapists... never even heard that one used, other than that, i finally understand some of this stuff :)

Kari and Mewtwo
29th March 2003, 01:46 PM
aromatherapists are basically the same as a healbeller: the pokemon uses aromatherapy/healbell to heal any status conditions of the entire team, such as burn or poison. sadly, it can't heal confusion, leech seed, mean look, perishsong, ghost curse, or nightmare.