PDA

View Full Version : The perfect team, minus one

Quagy
27th March 2003, 09:26 PM
Ok, Ive always loved coming up with ideas in an effort to try and push the metagame in directions. Now Im not saying this is a new idea at all, but I havent seen anything like it so far, and RuSa gave us some great abilities for this idea. I'd like some assistance from the forum in making this team, and Im calling it operation switchblade. Most every trainer has been in a battle (NOT ingame) where all your opponent and you do is switch pokemon trying to get the advantage. So why not make a team SPECIFICALLY made for switching. Yes, it has been thought up before, but never with this much resistance or immunities. Skarmory will obviously be in there, as with 2 immunities, 9 resistances, and high defense (not to mention the ever important spikes) he's perfect. In order to balance all that attack stopping power, RuSa has given us a Special attack resist god, Kecleon. Huge SD, and becomes the type of pokemon as the attack. Ok, now that we have huge resists, might as well add some immunities. And that means Shedinja. Yes, if they get a hit in, he dies, but that is why you use him carefully, and if they dont have the right attacks, they HAVE to switch. Then we need some backup support. Lanturn's Volt Absorb is great, and gives you a way to deal with annoying water pokemon. Flygon gives 2 immunities, and covers a few weaknesses. So here is where I need your help. Flygon, Skarmory, Lanturn, Kecleon, and Shedinja are perfect, but I cant find a 6th pokemon that fits. Now please dont nag me about not having movesets, as Im just looking for a pokemon who has decent resists/immunities/ability that doesnt give too many weaknesses to fill out the roster. Thanks

jusrelac
27th March 2003, 09:31 PM
Sableye does have no weakness, ya know. Normal won't touch him, and he's resistant to Poison... not really carrying the buttloads of resitances the other guys on the team you mentioned have, but the whole no weaknesses part has to sound good to you.

Quagy
27th March 2003, 09:36 PM
Hmm, I was thinking about Girafarig, as that gives me ghost immunity, and Psychic for Fighting. However, I could also use a dark pokemon for psychic immunity (however, there are no decent dark, as Sableye's stats suck, all the water/dark have REALLY low SD, I cant afford another fire weakness from Grass/Dark and pure dark only offers Mightyena and Absol. Not saying that they arent good, but this team is already attack heavy, and some good SA to utilize dark moves would be nice.)

Quagy
27th March 2003, 09:39 PM
Hehe, Im too slow. Ok, I did consider Sableye, but with Shedinja already in the team, another ghost isnt adding too much. If his stats were better, I would be all over him. But in a team dedicated to taking a hit coming in (hopefully as little dmg as possible), then dealing one hit themselves before hopefully switching out low stats will only hinder progress.

Crufidal
27th March 2003, 09:50 PM
I was also thinking about Girafarig, I just didn't have time to post, as I was previously busy. I see you've come up with the idea. Girafarig gets my vote, if it matters :yes:

Jambaman
27th March 2003, 09:59 PM
I agree and say Girafarig like everyone else. You could also try Cradily.

Runpapa
27th March 2003, 10:16 PM
I'd put a Kingdra if you didn't own a Flygon. One weakness proves perfect. That's what I have in my SwitchShift team posted the last week. It consists of the same purpose, but more powerful Pokes using Spikes, WWind, Toxic, Roar, Yawn, etc to compel switching rather than their properties.

Though, I, too, sought to produce a team of minimum type vulnerability. But high power and HP makes me more comfy due to experience. So I use both caps the best I can.

(Kingdra, Donphan, Swalot, Hariyama, Slowking, and Skarmory are my components).

Runpapa
27th March 2003, 10:30 PM
Or you may desire to find a Pokemon that learns Rapid Spin. Apparently, Spikers run brazen now, and it's time to introduce ways to counter the annoyance.

Donphan? Hitmontop?

RubyDragonKnight
27th March 2003, 10:40 PM
Metagross has only 2 weaknesses, alot of resistances and high defense. try him. I love him

Azura Stardust
27th March 2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Runpapa
Or you may desire to find a Pokemon that learns Rapid Spin. Apparently, Spikers run brazen now, and it's time to introduce ways to counter the annoyance.

Donphan? Hitmontop?

Flamethrower.

soggy_cardboard
27th March 2003, 11:00 PM
Flamethrower. Touché.

wat bout lanturn?
high hp(more than starmie), and gets confuse ray/t-wave

Crufidal
27th March 2003, 11:04 PM
Most of the recently suggested Pokemon don't have immunities - I personally think that would be ideal here. I still say Girafarig; perhaps its a matter of personal preference, but it seems like it would fit well.

edit : booya soggy, Kecleons on =P

Azura Stardust
28th March 2003, 07:15 AM
BTW, Metagross seems overused. And perhaps even a bit cheap. I tip my hat to a person who wins well without Metagross, same for things like Snorlax. Now that's clever.

Though for switching team, you may have to ditch the strategy late game as pokemon are narrowed down and either i) there's no need to switch now or ii) the other guy's guessed your strategy. :\

Cradily is a great addition. It's trait means it cant be ww/roared away, so you can just stay there.... and stay there... and recover... and stay there... and theyll have to switch if they don't have rest and whatnot.

Slaking master
28th March 2003, 08:03 AM
Look at it this way would have 2 go through i a lot of probelms 2 set that team up.U have pokemon with four 4x weakness and 1hp that not a good thing.It looks like u leaning towards girafarig 2 complete ur fragile team.I like how thinking but teams like that only work once. I have few suggestions for ur team.The last member of your put kyorge it is water that means its weakness r grass,eletric,water and dragon but most type can't beat bcuz of it raw power.That gives u a sweeper a fit your no immunities.U can put on kingdra cuz it only has two weakness ice andd dragon

These pokemon Weezing (shednija) Ludicolo (laturn) Metagross (skarmory) are nice choices 2. Bty what if somebody trys 2 roar or whirlwind on ur team give themself the mismatch.

Blaziken would give this team problems

Quagy
28th March 2003, 07:23 PM
Well thanks for all the replies. However, I think a few of you have never engaged in a trainer battle, if you think this will only work once. Honestly, when you are attempting to gain an advantage, you switch many times. If someone has a pokemon strong against you, that you are weak against, you switch or die. Now Im not saying that I can still maintain switching when they have only 2 pokemon left, but my team really isnt that weak. Lanturn has HUGE hp, Flygon has good stats, Keleceon has great SD and ability, and Skar has great def. and resists. If played right, this team can own. Now, for a few comments. This team will not run alot of roar/ww, as it doesnt work (if roar/ww still goes second). You make them switch, but they get a hit in. Its best to just ensure that you have a distinct advantage over their pokemon, forcing them to switch, and getting some damage in on the switch in. Yes, toxic could be utilized to induce switching, but they healbell, and you have wasted a lot of moves. And if they have poison or steel pokemon, they they dont have much to worry about. As far as the last pokemon, with either Cradily or Girafarig I end up having double weaknesses to fighting/fire or dark/bug. Cradily has recover, great tank stats, and a nice ability. However, Girafarig gets immunity to ghost (already have 2 weaknesses to it, if you count Kecleons) and a way to deal with Fighting. So since they are evenly matched, Ill go with the underused one, Girafarig. Oh, and one pokemon will have WW/roar (hopefully I can get him as slow as possible, so that if someone tries to WW/Roar, the slower one goes second, and their WW wont have any effect.

Oh, and I cant seem to remember if spikes hurts you as well? I didnt think it did, but I havent been able to play lately (Final Lab exams)

Razola
28th March 2003, 07:58 PM
Spikes does not hurt your pokes.