PDA

View Full Version : Gym Leaders Discussion - All ideas here please

RaZoR LeAf
20th July 2006, 05:26 PM
OK, here's what I've come up with for Gym Leader basics. This isn't in any sort of simple to rad style, it's just done as I was categorising stuff. Anyway, onwards:

Gym Leaders Require:

A Gym Leader Arena: This may be as complex or simple as they wish. It is their personal arena, and cannot be used by anyone other than themselves. They may use it outside of Gym Battles, but it must be used for any Gym Battles.

A Gym Badge: Though it grants the owner no special abilities, moves or treasures, it is a representation of the Gym Leader. It can be anything within reason.

A Gym Leader Team: The difficult part. Gym Leaders are permitted to choose up to four pokemon from their current team to be promoted to Gym Leader pokemon. These pokemon cannot be used in other battles other than Gym Battles. Evolving requires the same amount of points and experience. When catching a pokemon, or buying an egg, they are expected to decide which team this pokemon will join. Their regular battle team, or their Gym Leader Team.

Gym Leader Privileges:

Battle Slots: A Gym Leader can only have one Gym Battle happening at any time, but it counts outside the maximum allowed battles. Their rival must count it within their maximum allowed battles.

Rules: The Gym Leader sets the rules of the battle and has final say on what moves are allowed and what moves are banned.

Privileges: Any Gy, Leader privileges such as cheaper evolutions etc. have yet to be considered.

Winning at Gym:

Winnings: Winning a Gym Leader battle will result in the same amount of points as you would normally receive, but also a free Catch or Evolution.

Gym Badge: A Gym Badge is an icon of you winning the match. The Gym Leaders Tower will be updated with a list of winners and which badges they have collected.

Becoming a Gym Leader:

Currently: For the moment, the Gym Leaders will be chosen on experience. Those who have been at the ASB long enough, with the experience to battle at the standard a Gym Leader is expected to be at.

In the Future: Challengers must collect all the Gym badges before they can try out for a position. When they have collected all the Badges, they can either challenge an existing Leader for a title match. If the Gym Leader wins, they can choose to take their badge back. If the Gym Leader looses, the winner can replace them as a Gym Leader.

Returning Leaders: If a Gym Leader has been replaced, they can choose to re-battle the person who took their place. If they are successful, they get their place back, but the defeated keeps all their badges. If the Ex-leader loses, then they loose their chance, and must collect Gym Badges like any normal member would.

Chris 2.1
20th July 2006, 05:27 PM
Like I said, I'm 100% behind this.

Knight of Time
20th July 2006, 05:37 PM
Hmm, this sounds sorta interesting, but for the choosing of Gym Leaders, is it strictly for vets who used to be in the old ASB but are here now (some examples of vets besides myself are Dark Dragonite, RaZoR LeAf I believe, The_Missing_Link, etc. They are the ones I'm certain are vets, I can't really think of anyone else, but I guess you could be considered a vet, wouldn't that make sense Chris 2.0?)?

I'm really curious.

Chris 2.1
20th July 2006, 05:44 PM
No the current 'candidates' we have thought of for refs are not all vets. Some are new but have shown invaluable expirience and good knowledge of the ASB. Expirience is, of course, quite useful.

Everoy
20th July 2006, 06:00 PM
I love this idea whole-heartedly. It would give more purpose to battling (not that I'm saying that ASB is pointless, I loves me some battling and strategy) and some more healthy competition, plus it would set goals to achieve (just call me Captain Obvious). When someone gets a Gym Leader position via challenging, to what extent would they be able to redesign the gym, and would they have to use their own pokemon or would they just create a team? Also, would there be an order of gyms in which the battles get tougher, such as in the anime, or would all gyms be around the same level? Would the gyms be limited to a type theme?

Vermillion
20th July 2006, 06:05 PM
The return of GL's would be most awesome, got my vote. Your idea is very solid and makes me wanna become one as we speak...^_^

The Blue Avenger
20th July 2006, 06:21 PM
I really like the way this sounds. It really seems to me that you've thought of, well, pretty much everything. I like in particular the system of badges - that way, it's assured that only skilled trainers get into a leader spot and not just ones who luck out.

Personally, I don't think that the Gym Leaders should get any of the special privileges like cheaper evolutions unless it's limited to the Gym Pokemon. Otherwise it'd be rather unfair for everyone else, heh.

Knight of Time
20th July 2006, 06:29 PM
Something else I forgot to mention.

Would it be possible for two Gym Leaders to battle each other in a real gym battle, meaning either of their badges would be on the line?

Green Lanturn
20th July 2006, 06:48 PM
I can remember when we had gym leaders before, It did make ASB quite a bit more fun.

As such, I agree that gym leaders would be a good addition to ASB, and its good that you arent just making it all the, for lack of a better term, oldies.....

I do wonder however, if this will bring in the topic of signature moves, seeing as it used to be each gym had a special TM attached with it...dont know if you guys had given that any thought, but just a throw out.

~GL

Metallixs Girl
20th July 2006, 07:00 PM
[color=mediumpurple]That sounds like a lot of fun, and I'll deffinately want to participate. Would it be possible to use Abilities inside gyms, with the leaders deciding whether to have them in a battle or not? It might add some difficulty on both sides and if there was ever a way to impliment Abilities, this sounds like it could work...^_^

Dark Dragonite
20th July 2006, 07:02 PM
I love this, and say let's go for it asap!!

I do have 4 questions:

1) Out of the up to 4 from your regular team, do they have to stick to types, like a fire GL taking his squirtle?
2)How many pokemon does a GL start with?
3)Can the GL pick his starting 4 or however many pokes?
4)Can the newly booted GL take 1 poke of his choice for his regular battle team?

Spike
20th July 2006, 07:06 PM
Having gym leaders again would be great. Back before I left ASB, I remember gym battles were fun and exciting, though I think I never finished one. Also, I remember leaders having very powerful TMs, sig moves and their special arena that gave them a little advantage in battle. If you won a gym battle you could teach that TM move only to one of your pokémon, right? Anyway, leaders made ASB more ASBish.

*Hopes this gets approved to battle a leader*

Chris 2.1
20th July 2006, 07:15 PM
DD:

1) No type Gyms. You pick 4 Pokemon from your team. If you want to pick 4 of a same type, theme or catagory then that's up to you.
2) 4. Then when you get a new Pokemon you must state whether or not it is for your Gym Team or your ASB Team.
3) Yes, 4 from your current team
4) I don't know. Dan can answer that.

Allegedly some feel we're copying ASBRPG in having Gym Leaders XD I'll direct anyone who thinks like that to our archive where we had Gym Leaders started before ASBRPG even existed. Let's show those guys what proper Gym Leaders are like guys :D

The_Missing_Link
20th July 2006, 07:31 PM
Ok, I like the whole idea but I hate the gym leader team thing and here's why

1) If you are only restricted to four Pokemon and everyone knows what Pokemon they are, then they can build a team to counter it
2) It's stupid to restrict a Pokemon to gym battles alone. I don't want to own two Charizards just because I can't use one in regular battles
3) We were allowed to use any Pokemon for gym battles in the past and no one had a problem with it. Besides, it keeps everyone guessing as to which Pokemon you're going to use

Knight of Time
20th July 2006, 07:49 PM
Ok, I like the whole idea but I hate the gym leader team thing and here's why

1) If you are only restricted to four Pokemon and everyone knows what Pokemon they are, then they can build a team to counter it
2) It's stupid to restrict a Pokemon to gym battles alone. I don't want to own two Charizards just because I can't use one in regular battles
3) We were allowed to use any Pokemon for gym battles in the past and no one had a problem with it. Besides, it keeps everyone guessing as to which Pokemon you're going to use

I have to agree with The_Missing_Link on the points she made, especially the second one, after all, I do like using certain Pokemon on my team that have only one or two weaknesses, but attack advantages over many other types thanks to their versatile movesets. For example, three of the Pokemon I like using a lot in battle are my Absol, Zangoose and Blissey. Besides that, for a gym match, the gym leader should be able to have any Pokemon they have that they want to use, as Rebecca said, knowing what a certain gym leader has here, and the challenger always being prepared with Pokemon with type advantages isn't exactly a good thing, as I'm pretty certain a gym leader wouldn't want to easily lose a gym battle, am I right or wrong?

Ace64
20th July 2006, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I can agree with that. Taking four Pokemon from your team eliminates the theme-team arguement, but why not leave it open to all Pokemon? It's not like people here will feel the need to pit their Charizard against some poor Pikachu. I think we should be able to use all Pokemon- some teams are too big already.

The Blue Avenger
20th July 2006, 07:55 PM
Actually, yeah, I just realized that if I ever made it to gym leader, I wouldn't like having to section off (and possibly give up) some of my team. That would also be needlessly biased against skilled people who could make GL, but have small teams.

+conspiracy+
20th July 2006, 08:07 PM
I think that GLs should have a restricted set of pokemon that they can use for Gym battles, but I believe that these pokes should also be allowed outside of gym battles as well... As for the number of "gym leader pokes" I dont get if you only start out with four, or you only have four the whole time =/

and also to those of you who believe it will bring back sig moves.. it wont, a free catch/evolution is already an added bonus to points and the badge and powerful TMs (sig tms/moves whatever) should never be permitted in my honest opinion.

Dragonis
20th July 2006, 08:32 PM
Maybe there could be 'Gym Pokemon'. Pokemon that stay with the gym, even if the leader changes. They could be the thyme for the gym, and maybe even have a sig. I would say two 'Gym Pokemon' max and that the leader could use up to four of his/her own pokemon that would have to be registered, but still be used elsewhere.

Dark Dragonite
20th July 2006, 09:00 PM
GYM IDEA...

Ok, I as well dislike thinking my fav pokes like KKhan will never battle outside a gym...what if I lose my spot, do I lose MY pokes I started with or bought, or worse, received as a GIFT?

There could be a SET of GYM USE ONLY pokes...they should start with 4 new pokes at the approval tower, like you do when you start ASB...just my feelings, anyone want to back me on this?

Everoy
20th July 2006, 09:11 PM
There could be a SET of GYM USE ONLY pokes...they should start with 4 new pokes at the approval tower, like you do when you start ASB...just my feelings, anyone want to back me on this?

*backs DD up on this*

I agree. That makes a lot more sense.

Andrew
20th July 2006, 09:35 PM
Well I still think Gyms should be type based... All of Ash's leagues (Barring the delightful Orange Islands and their 4 minigyms or rather tasks such as ice rafting or racing or target practices) have been type gyms. Why would that change? It is ANIME style battling! ;)

Better idea, give the starting gym 12 points to do with whatever they please. If they want to get 5 basic pokemon, go for it, but they have to be of the certain type, OR evolve into it. But make it so that the pokemon that reside with the gym stay with the gym. If any of the leader's Pokemon are of that certain type, then they can use it in gym battles, but it stays with them.

I'm going to use Misty as an example because we've seen it so often.

The Cerulean Gym has a variety of different Pokemon. Goldeen, Shellder, Seaking, Luvdisc ect.

Misty has her own personal Pokemon - Staryu, Starmie ect.

Now, when she went travelling, she caught a Corsola. She uses that Corsola in Gym Battles as shown in the anime. BUT She keeps the Corsola with her.

Now, Dewgong, it stayed with the gym, and Misty has ordered it around in the gym in battle. BUT it stays with the gym as a gym Pokemon.

I think that when you leave the gym, you'll get to take 1 or two Pokemon from that gym with you.

Not to mention, when it opens... with those hypothetical 12 points I'll give an example.

I'm opening a Rock Gym, I'll catch a Geodude for 2 points, and a Onix for 2 points, and a Kabuto for 2 points and then spend 3 points evolving it. So then the gym has spent 9 out of 12 of its points. But only for the opening of the gym, allow Exp free evolutions for Gym Pokemon only.

Ace64
20th July 2006, 10:19 PM
First, I have a question about the winnings- you recieve the same amount of points, along with a free evolu/catch. But is that for the Leader or the Challenger?

Also, I'm going to go into the lack of types for certain Gyms (Dark, Electric) but the way I see it- you could either let any Pokemon you own be used in a Gym Match as Leader, or set aside a certain amount of Pokes that STAY with the Gym, win or lose and can't be used outside the gym. If I get a Charizard, then lose the Gym title, then Char belongs to the new leader. That way, you don't have to section off your team, and because each Leader has different strategies and different favorites for their battles, the Gyms won't be exactly the same. You shouldn't be able to take Pokemon from the Gym with you if you lose, because you're taking away from the team the new Gym Leader 'inherits.'

Everoy
20th July 2006, 10:32 PM
How about just a general theme? Example, in Dark Sage's "Pokemonese" fanfiction, the gyms have a general non-type theme, such as reptile-esque Pokemon or all-female pokemon.

The_Missing_Link
20th July 2006, 10:38 PM
Well I still think Gyms should be type based... All of Ash's leagues (Barring the delightful Orange Islands and their 4 minigyms or rather tasks such as ice rafting or racing or target practices) have been type gyms. Why would that change? It is ANIME style battling! ;)

Better idea, give the starting gym 12 points to do with whatever they please. If they want to get 5 basic pokemon, go for it, but they have to be of the certain type, OR evolve into it. But make it so that the pokemon that reside with the gym stay with the gym. If any of the leader's Pokemon are of that certain type, then they can use it in gym battles, but it stays with them.

I'm going to use Misty as an example because we've seen it so often.

The Cerulean Gym has a variety of different Pokemon. Goldeen, Shellder, Seaking, Luvdisc ect.

Misty has her own personal Pokemon - Staryu, Starmie ect.

Now, when she went travelling, she caught a Corsola. She uses that Corsola in Gym Battles as shown in the anime. BUT She keeps the Corsola with her.

Now, Dewgong, it stayed with the gym, and Misty has ordered it around in the gym in battle. BUT it stays with the gym as a gym Pokemon.

I think that when you leave the gym, you'll get to take 1 or two Pokemon from that gym with you.

Not to mention, when it opens... with those hypothetical 12 points I'll give an example.

I'm opening a Rock Gym, I'll catch a Geodude for 2 points, and a Onix for 2 points, and a Kabuto for 2 points and then spend 3 points evolving it. So then the gym has spent 9 out of 12 of its points. But only for the opening of the gym, allow Exp free evolutions for Gym Pokemon only.

I think the 12 point thing is unncessary because it's confusing and it would expand teams beyond points that most people want to go. I wouldn't want to get so many Pokemon

And I say yes to themes only if we want to. I didn't have a theme in the past so if I was a gym leader again, I would want to have the choice of having a theme or not

Everoy
20th July 2006, 10:48 PM
And I say yes to themes only if we want to. I didn't have a theme in the past so if I was a gym leader again, I would want to have the choice of having a theme or not

Theme of complete randomness!

Spike
20th July 2006, 11:10 PM
How about just a general theme? Example, in Dark Sage's "Pokemonese" fanfiction, the gyms have a general non-type theme, such as reptile-esque Pokemon or all-female pokemon.

While reading the posts I also thought about something like that. Gyms' pokemon could depend on climate, humanoid or animal form, pokemon size, mythology or even personality or other stereotypes, I don't know.

On the other hand, I do believe they should have a TM that differs them from everyone else. After all, they are gym leaders right? TMs previously approved in the tower of course.

+conspiracy+
21st July 2006, 04:16 AM
In the Anime... you dont get TMs, and going back to Chris's point earlier that having TMs would make this ASBRPGish... and it would just be another thing to keep track of

MeLoVeGhOsTs
21st July 2006, 05:22 AM
I'm with Consipiracy on this one. You have to select pokemon from your team, so that way they're locked, so opponents know which pokemon you'll use, BUT you can use them in other matches aswell. And that's a big factor.

Silencer
21st July 2006, 10:58 AM
My thoughts:

- Select 4 pokémon from your current team everytime a gym battle starts.
- Seperate topic for gym leaders, where they'll need to get their choises approved. (only access by mods and leaders if possible)
- The 4 pokémon can't be in a battle outside the gym and cannot be used outside the gym aslong as the match is going.
- A new leader changes the gym. (New arena, new badge, blablabla)

Comments on topics so far
- Starting a seperate account (getting 4 pokémon approved again) for the GL would be bad. The gym leaders would have their first fight with basic pokémon while challengers send out thier charizards, dragonites, salamences and what not.
- Different point for the leaders would get the same result
- A theme would be nice but that would put the leaders in a disadvantage again unless you have an arena like a volcano for your fire pokémon.

That's all I got...

Everoy
21st July 2006, 01:00 PM
- A theme would be nice but that would put the leaders in a disadvantage again unless you have an arena like a volcano for your fire pokémon.

I think it would be great if gym leaders could create their own arenas. As it is, when I challenge I use a custom arena.

Andrew
21st July 2006, 11:09 PM
Kevvaelli - Actually EBTV had theme gyms long before Pokemonese existed! ;)

TML - The 12 starting points are for the gym's pokemon and the gym pokemon's evolution, to be spent however the gym leader pleases. It's not complicated, the gym just gets it's own bank account.

Also, backing up the type gyms OF THE ANIME, Gym Leaders often have an arena which is benificial to the Pokemon of their type. Blaine's Volcano making Squirtle's water attacks less effective and helping Ninetales Firepower. Misty's pool for her water Pokemanz. Brock's rock arena with rocks around for a nice rock slide. Ect ect ect. So we should be having Type gyms. This foppish theme crap may sound good, but just wait till we have people going "Oh yea, lols, I'm adding Dragonite to my rainbow team because it's a colour of the rainbow." Unless you type out a fucking page of justification for the reasoning and logic behind your team and then a further page to why each Pokemon falls under the theme banner, it's absolutely ridiculous because you'll have people making up shitty reasons and it'll be a free-for-all.

How shitty would that be. Honestly. TYPES FOR ASB GYM LEADERS.

Ace64
21st July 2006, 11:34 PM
You don't need to make a type gym to make a beneficial arena. It would make things easier, but...not really necessary. If you've got a lot of flyers, make an arena with very small platforms and other goodies. If you've got agile Pokemon, create a gym with a lot of hazards to mess slower ones up. But really, personally, forget forcing everyone to go with type or theme- just leave it up to the individual Gym Leader. If you wanna catch six Fire types to make a fire type gym, and throw it in a volcano, go for it. If you wanna catch six 'shiny' dragons and create a shiny theme gym, go nuts. But use your own points.

Just use your own Pokes for the team, personally. If you're good enough using them, stick with them, instead of buying new ones to fit a certain purpose.

Dark Dragonite
21st July 2006, 11:35 PM
How shitty would it be for someone who hasn't evolved their pokes to have to go up sgainst fully evolved Gls?

Ok, I'm facing Aggron, Dragonite, Charizard, Tyranitar, Steelix, and Venusaur...I'll send out my Rattata?...shit...

+conspiracy+
21st July 2006, 11:59 PM
Well, it only takes maybe 3 or 4 battles for a new ASBer (depending on # of pokes of course) for them to acquire at least 2 or 3 fully evolved pokes assuming they haven't started with one, so that gives them time to fully acquaint themselves with the ASB system and battling and what not... so its good that GLs use fully evolved pokes, then that limits challengers to people who will at least put up a decent fight...

Dark Dragonite
22nd July 2006, 12:05 AM
hey, I've completed 5 battles...winning 4...my points have gone elsewhere...I have one fully evolved poke, the only evolved poke I have, Quagsire...that Drew gave me...granted I have 5 non evolvers on my team, but not everyone is in a rush to evolve here...I'm not, I'd rather get the pokes I need, then evolve...

Silencer
22nd July 2006, 01:57 AM
Also, I don't want to face the same team over and over. Just in other arenas...

I can say that most gyms will probably consist of dragonite, tyranitar, snorlax, salamence, the starters, metagross, milotic or something else big and deadly...

So that are 15 pokémon that will most likely be chosen for gyms. There has to be some sort of restrictiong (type and theme have been said before) so that people won't have 8 almost identical fights.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
22nd July 2006, 02:18 AM
Yeah well that's not true. Not everyone wants those 15 pokemon. For example if I were Gymleader I'd have a whole other team then those pokemon, since frankly I hate those pokemon. I'd rather have a nice UU gym, then using those dimwitted pokemon.

EDIT: In all crazyness, I am in favor of Type gyms.

Spike
22nd July 2006, 03:39 AM
What if gym leaders get to choose one of their pokemon as their main pokemon for the gym? Everything else, gym related, could depend on that choice. Wouldn't it work if it were one different pokemon per gym as the main one?

Dark Dragonite
22nd July 2006, 08:57 AM
<LG, you may want to route for themed Gyms...as far as type, the most you have of 1 type is 3 water pokemon

Mega Horny
22nd July 2006, 09:23 AM
Yes, I would so lead a Ground Monotype Gym.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
22nd July 2006, 12:32 PM
Yes I know DD, but if I got elected or something, ofcourse I would catch more pokemon of a specific type. The pokemon I have no are just favorites. *coughandawesomecough*

Knight of Time
22nd July 2006, 12:39 PM
Heh, if I was lucky enough to be picked as a GL, I wouldn't want to have to choose only one type of Pokemon (or even worse, for Pokemon of different types with at least one common weakness). After all, doesn't the GL have to be a bit of a tough opponent?

Chris 2.1
22nd July 2006, 02:44 PM
DD: The unevolved dilemma is a worthless point. You are forgetting Gym Leader's will be around for...well, forever. Are you going to take on some massive Pokemon with a little Rattata as soon as Gym Leaders are established? Or do like in the games and TRAIN your team before you take on a Gym. I'd personally do the latter.

And this discussion is getting very big. I'll remind you that we're not going to be able to please all of you. I'm personally in favour of non-type Gyms. The Anime has had type gyms but has also shown unofficial gyms not to fall under those catagories (AJ's Gym, Yas and Kas, even Giovanni himself).

Gyms don't need to be themed, either. Gym Leaders are obviously recognised by us as moderators (and the community, I believe) to be strong people - do they need to conform to a theme? I don't think so.

Everoy
22nd July 2006, 02:59 PM
Gyms don't need to be themed, either. Gym Leaders are obviously recognised by us as moderators (and the community, I believe) to be strong people - do they need to conform to a theme? I don't think so.

But the point still stands that people don't want to face the same pokemon in every gym. Albeit, not everyone likes the same four pokemon as their favorites, but that doesn't mean they won't have anything in common.

The point of it in the games is so that people could prepare by catching pokemon of a certain type. The point in the anime was continuity with the games. Having pokemon covering all of the bases for a gym leader would make them a helluva lot tougher.

And another point, if the gyms don't have themes, the only thing making them different from regular trainers it the badge.

Ace64
22nd July 2006, 03:05 PM
If every Pokemon in one's team is allowed to fight in the Gym, then not everyone will have the same four Pokemon. I can think of three people with a Metagross, and three people with a Charizard- five Gyms won't have them, and none of them will be used the same way either. Fighting the same Pokemon doesn't mean the battle will be identical.

And I don't want easy Gym fights, do you?If they're leaders, then they should be strong. I shouldn't be able to bring a few electric and grass Pokemon to a Gym and be able to slaughter four water types. That's not a challenge.

Even without themes, the gyms will be different, because each Leader fights a little differently.

Chris 2.1
22nd July 2006, 03:36 PM
While Gym Leaders are tough it should also be noted the point is for people to win badges. Theyre expected to be beatable (and I sure am)

Everoy
22nd July 2006, 03:37 PM
Meh, I guess mI'm just too hooked on the games to think of gyms as anything other than themed XD

Charles Legend
22nd July 2006, 08:41 PM
Gyms are a good I deah however I like the contest better to be honest, the only thing I would not like is if I were a gymleader (as if that would ever happen) and had a dragon team I would not me able to use them out side of the gym...

however I do have a Question though. say I was a gym leader(again unlikly to happen) would the pokémon I picked say my dragonite for Example, would he be able to be in contest or only at the gym matchs only?

~Charles Legend

Chris 2.1
23rd July 2006, 02:16 PM
I think, given reactions to Dans post, Pokemon would be used in all ASB things from Gym Matches, Contests, Tournaments or regular battles.

Spike
23rd July 2006, 03:28 PM
If every Pokemon in one's team is allowed to fight in the Gym, then not everyone will have the same four Pokemon. I can think of three people with a Metagross, and three people with a Charizard- five Gyms won't have them, and none of them will be used the same way either. Fighting the same Pokemon doesn't mean the battle will be identical.

And I don't want easy Gym fights, do you?If they're leaders, then they should be strong. I shouldn't be able to bring a few electric and grass Pokemon to a Gym and be able to slaughter four water types. That's not a challenge.

Even without themes, the gyms will be different, because each Leader fights a little differently.

That's why in the anime Gym Leaders have arenas that give them advantage. Although, I'm pretty sure that if Pikachu agreed to battle Misty, she would have fried both her stars in that arena.

However though, I believe gls should be able to use any pokemon they want and battle under the rules they set. Giving it a more anime look by making them have something in common should be really up to them.

Chris 2.1
23rd July 2006, 04:01 PM
So a Gym Leaders ability is based on their arena? Hmm I think they need a custom arena but not one that overly favours them. The Leader should be the challange, not the arena they battle in.

Ultimate Charizard
23rd July 2006, 07:01 PM
To be honest out of all here i agree mainly with Andrew.
Make the Gyms ASB'ers. Ie the Gym itself has its own team and its own Account. The Current Gym leader then manages the team and the account while in Charge. (ie does what they want with it)

On top of this reigster a couple (3/4) pokemon of the Gym Leaders to be useable in Gym Battles but not locked into gym use only.

As for the type argument, it probably is the best idea however give certain leniency to some types. Even Blaine had a Rhydon etc. Certain types (such as water) have a clear advantage due to the sheer number of double types they have such as Ground, Dragon, Electric.....infact is there a type that hasnt doubled with water?.....Steel i think is the only one.

Dark Dragonite
23rd July 2006, 11:20 PM
Actually, Ghost, Fire, Steel, and normal are the only non doubled waters....but, some of those, give 4X weakness, not an advantage...yes, it is an advantage to a point, but anything can overcome disadvantage...a la my abra beating houndours back before the restart...yes, abra is weak to dark, but has fighting type moves...

Houndoom_Lover
24th July 2006, 09:01 AM
Besides badages, we could have gym leaders give out prizes like DarkSunglasses, to increase Dark power. And items like that should go with the theme of the gym. People could create items if there arn't any of their gym. And as for theme, there is always the Earth Gym, that never had a theme.

Dark Dragonite
24th July 2006, 09:11 AM
Items will turn this into ASBRPG...as been said before...I aggree, or PCG...I want this to be unique, not complicated...like it used to be...but much better...lol...DRWS 00ber unown...

Houndoom_Lover
24th July 2006, 10:50 AM
Oh ^_^ I guess your right. I really have no say in this, being so new as I am. How many gym leaders will we have?

Chris 2.1
24th July 2006, 10:52 AM
We have decided on the 6 first Gym Leaders for when GLs are introduced. It is likely we will add more after that, perhaps stopping at 10.

Knight of Time
24th July 2006, 10:54 AM
Interesting news, when will the GLs be revealed? I'm rather curious.

Edit: When someone's a gym leader, they're not going to be modded (unless they already are a mod) right?

Chris 2.1
24th July 2006, 11:00 AM
We'll reveal them when we have fine-tuned the Gym Leader system. It won't be long.

And no, they won't be modded.

Silencer
24th July 2006, 11:04 AM
6 huh? mind if we guess?

Chris 2.1
24th July 2006, 11:13 AM
No but there's very little point other than to inflate/deflate peoples egos.

Everoy
24th July 2006, 11:16 AM
I have my suspicions of a few, but I speculate about them out loud.

Okay, here's a good way to settle this:

Gym Leaders may use whatever four non-legendary pokemon they wish, whether they want to have a theme or not is their choice.
Gym Leaders cannot use their gym pokemon outside of their gym unless they use a pokemon belonging to them in their gym.
Gym Leaders may create their own arena, as long as it is does not completely favor the gym's pokemon.

Do those three ground rules make sense?

MeLoVeGhOsTs
24th July 2006, 11:50 AM
Rule two and three are no good IMO. It's ridiculous to shut down Gym pokemon from other battles and the arena is your own choice. I think it should be free.

Everoy
24th July 2006, 12:00 PM
Rule two and three are no good IMO. It's ridiculous to shut down Gym pokemon from other battles and the arena is your own choice. I think it should be free.

Oh, what I mean with rule 2 is if someone uses a pokemon that they didn't already own it shouldn't be used in other battles, and if the leader is using a pokemon they already owned, they CAN use it in other battles. E.g., if I was to lead a gym (lol), and I used my Squirtle and Chinchou, and then also used a Milotic and Octillery, then I could still use my Squirtle and Chinchou in other battles, but I could not use my Milotic and Octillery in other battles because I don't actually own them. And with rule three, what doesn't make sense? Gym Leaders should pick what their gym looks like, thus becoming the arena, no?

Silencer
24th July 2006, 12:22 PM
So you are just picking pokémon(milotic and octillery) from thin air?

Everoy
24th July 2006, 12:27 PM
So you are just picking pokémon(milotic and octillery) from thin air?

Yup. But maybe the Gym Leaders should be required to use two of their own pokemon. That would make sense, because four pokemon out of thin air is a bit nonsensical.

Chris 2.1
24th July 2006, 12:33 PM
Or they could use their own team members [/obvious]

I think your idea is extremely complex and we're making Gym Leaders as easy and friendly as possible (the system anyway - GL's don't have to be friendly at all). Furthermore people with small unevolved teams can't expect to be made a Gym Leader. A main aspect is expirience with the current ASB system.

Plans are being finalised as we speak and we are going to try and please the intense variety of opinion here without the system being a mess. The changes will be final, as this thread's purpose is to give your input, so when the final plans are up don't whine.

Silencer
24th July 2006, 12:43 PM
So (most likely) the forth sloth and the GLs will be released soon? That's great news. ASB is restoring IMO. Although the most activety that it had was with the bussiness still... I'm sure that will be equaled someday.

Everoy
24th July 2006, 12:49 PM
I won't whine, any Gym Leaders are better than none, I'm just trying to give input too... I guess it didn't seem complex to me, but then again I don't see most of my ideas as complex and they usually fail out of complexity. Ignore me o.*;;;

Chris 2.1
24th July 2006, 01:14 PM
Lol that part wasnt aimed at you directly, it was at everyone. And as long as your in ASB you (or anyone) won't be ignored - everyone has a say.

Everoy
24th July 2006, 01:16 PM
I know, I know, but I'm generally a complex person XD

Dark Dragonite
24th July 2006, 09:23 PM
Furthermore people with small unevolved teams can't expect to be made a Gym Leader. A main aspect is expirience with the current ASB system.

Well, there goes me, lol...although I do have a bunch of non-evolvers, mostly normals!!

Anyway, I think this is obvious, but Chris2.0 and Razor Leaf should be 2 of the 6 GLs...they are pretty damned good at what they do...

Hatake Kakashi
24th July 2006, 10:59 PM
I'm really fearful that this will end up like the old ASB gym leaders, where they never lost(or the battles went on forever. Of course, 90% of the Gym leaders had TMs that made them unbeatable for a time, and the refs were all brainwashed into thinking "Gym leader must be the best!")

Andrew
24th July 2006, 11:02 PM
Or if they started to lose, just stop posting. Bastard Imperion. I hated him.

But what do you think of giving the Gyms their own account that I came up with? The Gym Leader than facilitates the gym's arena, the Pokemon used, the pokemon that stay with the gym ect...Thanks for the support Ultimate.

Chris 2.1
25th July 2006, 05:07 AM
Hatake: I can't see that happening - particularly because I'm not the "unbeatable" type. If refs are being bias in Gym Matches they will be temporarily suspended from Reffing or demoted to a lower class.

Andrew: The drawback is I could accumulate 30 points in my gym only to have Donnie N00b beat me and own the gym, thereby making me lose out because I didnt spend said points, and Donnie N00b gets 30 points to use as he wishes. I think keep the Gym accounts the same as the members account.

Silencer
25th July 2006, 08:54 AM
Plans are being finalised as we speak and we are going to try and please the intense variety of opinion here without the system being a mess. The changes will be final, as this thread's purpose is to give your input, so when the final plans are up don't whine.

Basicly I think this means we'll have to wait and see how Chris and Razor work it out from this point on.

Ultimate Charizard
25th July 2006, 08:55 AM
I think thats what he meant.
Those 30 points you mention were the Gyms Account. You could have only spent them Capturing or Evolving pokemon for the Gym anyway. (If of course you use the 'Gym has its own team' route)
However if we do get that situation why not give 50% of the Gyms balance to the departing Gym Leader as a thankyou?

RaZoR LeAf
25th July 2006, 09:06 AM
OK, I've been writing up a new 'Gym Leader Tower', but it wont be published until we're sure we're going ahead with it, and we have all 6 Gym Leaders ready. here's some of the changes made:

A Gym Battle can be no less than a 3 vs 3, but if it is a tag match (2 out at once) it must be no less than a 4 vs 4. The Maximum amount would be 8 vs 8.

Basically to make sure battles have some body to them, and aren't over in a few days, but also aren't running for months on end.

If you win a Gym Battle you will receive the Gym Leader's badge, a representation of your success. This will be recorded in this very tower as a permanent record. Winning a battle will earn you the regular prize of points, but also a free catch or evolution. This freebie is redeemable for only one week after your battle has ended, so you can't save them up.

Self explanitary really

This isn't that difficult, you basically pick your Gym Pokemon out of your usual team ready for battle. They can be any pokemon on your team. The most important point here is that they are not taking part in any other battle. Be it regular, tournament or a contest, those pokemon must be free from all constraints. The same does not apply to the challenger.

This is important, the fact that the pokemon used in battle must not be used anywhere else.

As a Gym Leader it is your job to defend your Gym Badge. Should you do so successfully for two battles, you will earn a free catch or evolution. Gym Leaders cannot challenge each other.

This is the only 'prize' a Gym Leader will get for being in that position, and it's every TWO battles, to make sure they aren't getting too many.

If a Gym Leader is defeated in a title match, they can choose to give up their title without a come back match.

Giving the Gym Leaders a chance to retire

-Bias and Cheating-

Gym Leaders found to be going easy on their competitors for whatever reason will be punished, most likely in a pint deduction from their account. The amount depends on the severity of the bias.

The same goes for refs, who play favour towards either the Gym leader or the battler. Refs will likely get a higher tax on their points if they are found to be doing this.

To make sure things are run properly.

Everoy
25th July 2006, 10:03 AM
That sounds great. Er, looks.

Dark Dragonite
25th July 2006, 10:08 AM
I see no problems, I say let's do it!!

Silencer
25th July 2006, 10:14 AM
So let me get this straight cause I'm not to sure.

A Gym team will consist of the battlers team without the ones that are currently taking part in a fight/contest/tournament?

If so you somewhat took my ideas :dance:

Mega Horny
25th July 2006, 11:33 AM
Whoa, thats awesome. I can hardly keep my pants on, but I will anyway, for your sake. But seriously, i cant wait. Lets do it!

RaZoR LeAf
25th July 2006, 11:37 AM
Like I said, we're not doing anything until the 6 people noted down have either accepted or declined Gym Leader status, and if need be we find replacements for them. Until then, you'lll have to hold your pants firmly by the waistline, and try not to expose yourself to anyone with a fragile mind.

Mega Horny
25th July 2006, 11:40 AM
LOL. Sorry, but i've been absent for a little while -- where do you sign up/accept position as Gym Leader? If needed I will gladly replace anyone who decides to decline.

Silencer
25th July 2006, 01:01 PM
They already have candidates. Nobody signed up. They started with a couple of people in their heads that could make a good GL.

Think they based it on experience and team mostly. Experience is obvious but team is about the fact that you have some evolved pokémon.

The Blue Avenger
25th July 2006, 01:04 PM
I like the way the gym leader rules look; I don't have any complaints, really, so good show there. As with everyone else, I'm eager to see who gets the first Gym Leader spots.

Mega Horny
25th July 2006, 01:04 PM
Oh yeah, well, I've got a pretty wide array of types on my team, but perhaps I could make a decent Dragon Gym Leader someday, seeing as I already have Kingdra, will soon have Dragonite, and Aerodactyl can always count too ^^

Silencer
25th July 2006, 01:20 PM
Just wondering. Will there ever be an Elite 4? Or the pokémaster.

Elite 4/pokémaster could be the guy or girl that defeated all gym leaders without losing. I'm sure some people will have to go against a certain GL a couple of times before they get the badge.

RaZoR LeAf
25th July 2006, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure if an Elite 4 (or any other number) will be implemented. For starters, it seems a little bit too much. Gym Leaders are meant to be tought to beat, so an Elite would be eve harder. At that point you're hitting the problem Hatake Kakashi brought up of them being too unbeatable. As for a champion, I'm sure we can come up with some sort of reward for a person who beats all the Gym Leaders first time.

Everoy
25th July 2006, 02:03 PM
How about a legendary such as a member of one of the legendary trinities, or a made-up pokemon of their choice which must be approved by a mod?

Silencer
25th July 2006, 02:11 PM
Legendaries are banned and would be unfair. Unless, for example, after someone beat all the GLs without being beaten himself he/she faces the pokémaster and can go 2on1 or 3on1 with the legendary. Legendary can ofcourse not be used outside of this battle.

But I'm sticking with legendaries are banned.

And made up pokémon are a lot of work and can't be to overpowered. You need to list all the moves it learns, all the TMs and HMs and will mostlikely provide an unfair advantage.

RaZoR LeAf
25th July 2006, 02:23 PM
I know ASB RPG introduced a created pokemon into their set up, but that's going to much into the realm or RPG to be implemented here. As for legendaries, it would be far to powerful and overpowering to give to one person. Chris did have an idea about tournament prizes at one point, that we could theoretically implement into a prize, I'll have to discuss it with him first.

On a side note, I would love to have some kind of mini-tourney where each member is given a random legendary to battle with, just for fun.

Everoy
25th July 2006, 02:46 PM
That would be fun, I'd definitely be in. I <3 Entei and Articuno and Celebi and Jirachi.

Dark Dragonite
25th July 2006, 03:49 PM
Legendaires...I like them being banned...maybe Dan's idea of the tourney...

The GLs have been picked, and I think I can assume, if you didn't get a PM about it, you aren't nominated...like me.

As far as elite 4...Chris said we start with 6GLs...maybe work up to 10...that would be original 6 plus 4 more...elite 4...in a sense...

Saffire Persian
25th July 2006, 05:15 PM
XDXD.. I would so have a feline-themed gym.

*gets stares*

Anyway, I like the idea behind gyms, and it sounds like a fun addition. ^_^

RaZoR LeAf
25th July 2006, 05:16 PM
I haven't sent out any PM's yet, so unless Chris has, nobody knows who the GM's are, except for us 2 of course.

Spike
25th July 2006, 05:52 PM
How exciting. A question though, so GL will always fight for their gym? Couldn't they challenge normal people for a normal battle? If they could, what would be the difference between gym battle and normal battle, besides arena?

Mega Horny
25th July 2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah, but Ground types are my favorite, so if ever I might try and get a ground team. I havent really been catching many though, since beforehand in ASB, variety has been reccomended. Thankfully, there are quite a few awesome pairings.

RaZoR LeAf
25th July 2006, 06:07 PM
How exciting. A question though, so GL will always fight for their gym? Couldn't they challenge normal people for a normal battle? If they could, what would be the difference between gym battle and normal battle, besides arena?

Gym Leaders are allowed their normal battles of course. The difference between a Gym Battle and a regular battle is the prizes at the end, and that a Gym Leader will likely be more ruthless in a Gym Battle and employ other tactics to ensure their victory.

Everoy
25th July 2006, 06:18 PM
I'd probably have a Dark theme gym :)

The_Missing_Link
25th July 2006, 06:32 PM
I haven't sent out any PM's yet, so unless Chris has, nobody knows who the GM's are, except for us 2 of course.

And me. Chris mentioned to me who the candidates were. I know 4 out of 6 for certain but I'm not sure after that

I also think it would be fun to have a tourney of only legendaries

Mega Horny
25th July 2006, 06:42 PM
Yes, but in the legendary tournament, would Deoxys have multiple forms, one, or be able to switch between them? Also, shouldn't Mew still be banned, due to the fact that it can learn every move?

And, im sorry if its bad for me to ask, but can you announce who you know now? I for one am sure I'm not one of the candidates, but i think i have an idea who they might be. If not, my apologies, but may I ask why keeping it a temporary secret is recquired?

Ultimate Charizard
25th July 2006, 06:46 PM
Too many people talking about too many different ideas as if theyre going into production. The Legendary tourney is a side idea. Sorting out rules and the like isnt important right now.

What we could do is simply Install the Gym's as they have been decided by Razor and Chris and then if other ideas come up or people arent happy with a particular part then things can be looked at.
The thing that killed the Last ASB, and also the reason i personally wont join ASBRPG is overcomplication. Too many random ideas just goin 'yeah, that sounds good lets do this' or 'ooooh that sounds cool, lets just do it'.

Green Lanturn
25th July 2006, 07:03 PM
As for gym leaders, Im excited that we finally get to have them, and to whomever the 6 are, be prepared for an onslaught...

Elite 4, and everything else can wait until we get the 6 GL's up and running...yay!

~GL

Charles Legend
25th July 2006, 07:36 PM
All in all I like the Idea of having gym leaders again, however I just don't want to be one because that means I could not use some of my pokemon for contest... even if I not that grate of a contender..... ^^;;

~Charles Legend

Greyfox
25th July 2006, 07:38 PM
Might as well make my grand re-entrance then...

-Grey

The_Missing_Link
25th July 2006, 07:42 PM
So, are you back or just visiting? Either way, it's nice to see you again

Greyfox
25th July 2006, 07:45 PM
I got mighty bored when I left, so I decided to come back for a bit. Hope that's not a problem.

Now I just wish I recorded those four points I earned for the last contest so I can buy some new pogies. Fenrir's lonely.

-Grey

The_Missing_Link
25th July 2006, 07:48 PM
You can record them if you want. You can also have Winden back because I already have a dragon Pokemon, although it was a cool gift in the first place

Greyfox
25th July 2006, 07:51 PM
If you're content with just handing him back over, then I won't be offended. I'll go on in and record the points now and establish the next two members of my undisclosed team.

-Grey

Ace64
25th July 2006, 08:22 PM
I'll return your Pianissimo and Valhalla as well. I appreciate the thought, especially since I don't know you all that well- but you know how to use them better than I. Haven't used them yet, anyhow.

Though I will miss Pianissimo's cool looking pic in my sig.

Greyfox
25th July 2006, 08:25 PM
Perish the thought, Ace64. Once more, if you really want to give 'em back, then I won't be offended... just make sure to make it... well, official. But I do insist you keep at least one of them...

-Grey

Ace64
25th July 2006, 08:27 PM
Kuku...well, if you insist...

I'll return your prize-winning Valhalla. Too many water Pokes for me.

Hyperness is a Good Thing
26th July 2006, 03:43 AM
Grey's back! Y'know, I really did appreciate the present of the Electrode(haven't had to chance to use him in battle yet), but I have a Jolteon right now, and don't really need another electric type on my team.. better if you get a chance to use him rather than I abandon him...

MeLoVeGhOsTs
26th July 2006, 04:02 AM
I really want to give you something Drew, but I'm getting very close with Hades. It was the coolest gift ever :'(

RaZoR LeAf
26th July 2006, 05:18 AM
Can we take any further welcome backs to the Cafe thread please?

Mega Horny
26th July 2006, 05:20 AM
Yes, but in the legendary tournament, would Deoxys have multiple forms, one, or be able to switch between them? Also, shouldn't Mew still be banned, due to the fact that it can learn every move?

And, im sorry if its bad for me to ask, but can you announce who you know now? I for one am sure I'm not one of the candidates, but i think i have an idea who they might be. If not, my apologies, but may I ask why keeping it a temporary secret is recquired?

Im sorry, i don't think anyone answered my question. If so, then my apologies.

Chris 2.1
26th July 2006, 05:41 AM
Good god.

1) Drew's back
2) There's been a truckload of posts since I last came on
3) Drew maybe announce your return in the CC -_-
4) Please don't feel offended that I want to keep your Pokes :p

5) Regarding Deoxys: Each of its 4 forms will count as a different Pokemon. They all have different movesets. IF a legendary tourney is implemented you will recieve a Deoxys form at random.

Let's worry about legendary Tourney later.

Ps: Mew can learn every TM - much different to learning every move.
Pps: We don't want to announce the Gym Leaders until we've asked them to do it, otherwise they'd refuse and everyone will shout "PICK MEEEEEEEEEE!" and I don't want that.

Dan I'll PM the other GLs and see what they think.

RaZoR LeAf
26th July 2006, 05:56 AM
Okey dokey.

Andrew
26th July 2006, 08:21 PM
Andrew: The drawback is I could accumulate 30 points in my gym only to have Donnie N00b beat me and own the gym, thereby making me lose out because I didnt spend said points, and Donnie N00b gets 30 points to use as he wishes. I think keep the Gym accounts the same as the members account.

Well then you should've wisely invested those 30 points in a variety of Pokemon for the gym instead of doing nothing with them! Plus Donnie N00b can't actually use those points for Pokemon outside of the gym either.

Chris 2.1
27th July 2006, 11:52 AM
But thats unfair because you shouldnt be some sort of "spend spend spend because you never know when your position will be usurped!" deal. And DN would be able to catch things with money you earned.

Either way its not happening.

Andrew
27th July 2006, 07:55 PM
Yes, but upon leaving the gym, you'll get to take a few of those prized Pokemon from the gym with you.

Mega Horny
27th July 2006, 07:57 PM
Perhaps we could agree on a happy medium? Half-points lol?

RaZoR LeAf
28th July 2006, 04:33 PM
A seperate account for Gym Leaders isn't happening. It's just too fiddly.

Andrew
29th July 2006, 10:46 PM
It's not fiddly WHAT IS YOUR REASONING!111. Remember Buisnesses used to have their own accounts.

The Blue Avenger
29th July 2006, 10:48 PM
With all due respect, those businesses also went the way of the dodo.

Andrew
29th July 2006, 11:34 PM
The Blue Avenger, you're missing the point.

What I am saying is that giving the Gym it's own account for the GYM LEADER to control and spend on Pokemon for the Gym isn't a complicated concept.

I was using the example of the old ASB buisnesses having their own account wasn't exactly rocket science either.

The Blue Avenger
29th July 2006, 11:52 PM
And I believe you missed my point as well... although I may have not made it as clear as I could. Having a separate gym account is more complicated than not having one - and, if I'm not mistaken (which, in retrospect, is entirely possible), the businesses of old died largely because of overcomplication in general. There's really no need for making things more complicated than they need to be.

Andrew
29th July 2006, 11:59 PM
The buisnesses of old died because TPML shut so all buisnesses closed (I even had one) and when TPM re-opened they weren't brought back. I have no issues with that. But to say they died because they were over-complicated is wrong. The most successful TPMers and ones who were able to afford the hundred upon hundred of dollar entry fees to the special things, were the ones who had buisnesses. Thus, they couldn't have had that much cash, if it wasn't for the success of their buisnesses.

But, all I am saying is give the Gym it's own account with it's own cash, so the Gym Leader can run it however they like. How could that be complicated. It's just like running your own account, but one for the Gym.

The Blue Avenger
30th July 2006, 12:10 AM
Okay, I concede about the businesses. I never paid too much attention to them.

However, your statement about a separate account for the leader allowing them to run the gym as they like is rather... flawed. In fact, having it that way would limit your choices instead of the opposite. If you inherit the gym's stuff (Pokemon, points, etc.), which is what I've gathered that you're proposing, you're limited by what the previous gym leader did. The way that it's being planned currently allows every new gym leader to do whatever they see fit - use whichever Pokemon they want provided they own it (which would be an issue no matter what separate accounts are made), customize the arena, and so on.

I guess long story short - running a separate account for the gym may be simple, but having the gym stuff integrated with the current gym leader is even simpler.

Dark Dragonite
30th July 2006, 12:11 AM
Businesses did get overlycomplicated..atleast in my humble opinion...

They were ok, except the owners/workers made too much money too fast, and they could use their own business...so the money(yen) just got recycled constantly...how do you think I had almost 100 pokemon, and a lot of fully evolved ones?

Then Cyrus, as I've said, the genius he is, decided to level everything...overhead costs were reasonable in theory...but then...look at communism...the over heads stopped people from gettign rich quick, but also jacked up the price of everything to the point where only people in power...like himself could afford anything...hence the crash similar to the American Stock market ...only, instead of jumping out of windows, we jumped from a sinking, flaming, fowl ship...

Andrew
30th July 2006, 12:14 AM
TBA, along with the custom accounts, part of my scheme was to allow the Gym Leaders to use their own Pokemon in the gym in addition to the Gym Owned Pokemon. I just think by allowing the Gyms to have their own Pokemon, it builds a tradition or heritage of the gym.

Ie the Misty Example I posted pages back.

As with the arena, I really don't care.

The Blue Avenger
30th July 2006, 12:24 AM
Okay, I see where you're coming from. And now that I know that, I guess it's just going to be a "I don't like that idea / Yeah, well, I do, so there" type argument. I personally think that implementing the idea you're proposing would make things more complicated than necessary, since it would require keeping track of entire different teams, whereas the current proposed system only has the Gym Leader know who is on his or her team.

And although the idea of a gym heritage is interesting, it isn't really required - look at how Blue took over the Viridian Gym in GSC or how (spoilers) Agatha took it over in the anime. (end spoilers) I do agree that there needs to be some way to remember gym leaders past, but that's easily enough accomplished by a list or something in the GL tower, detailing all the past leaders and how long they served.

Andrew
30th July 2006, 12:33 AM
I don't see how it would be complicated. It'd be kept in a "Gym Leader Topic" and updated whenever the gym's roster was updated.... Seriously, creating and editing topics is simple as crap, and I've been doing it for years.

Yes, but remember, the Viridian Gym was COMPLETELY destroyed and the Gym Leader took off...
However, look at Cerulean Gym, that is the prime example since we have seen it so much, with the Pewter Gym a close second. The GSC argument doesn't sway me as this is Anime style battling.

Dark Dragonite
30th July 2006, 12:43 AM
Andrew, I agree about heritage, and about using your own pokes along with gym pokes, as long as you don't lose your pokes to the gym...I just wish there was a simpler solution than having a bank account for 6 and at some point 10 extra things, I'm sure keeping everyone honest with asb accounts with this many people is a hard task.

The Blue Avenger
30th July 2006, 12:44 AM
I'm not saying it's complicated, I'm saying it's more complicated than the alternative.

As for Cerulean and Pewter Gyms... you'll have to refresh my memory, since I've not watched the anime in a while, but didn't the "communal" Pokemon in fact start with the Gym Leaders in the first place, like Brock's Onix? So, if we were trying to emulate that, wouldn't it be more appropriate for the Gym Leaders to select a few Pokemon out of their team to be transferred into the Gym account that stay there even after they leave?

Andrew
30th July 2006, 12:47 AM
DD - No, you don't lose your own Pokemon... *Sigh* Would you like me to post the entire proposal again?

TBA - Well the alternative is a bit dodgy too "Choose Pokemon to PROMOTE to gym level ect ect ect"

And the Cerulean example, it's a few pages back. And no to the second part.

The Blue Avenger
30th July 2006, 01:00 AM
Okay, I re-looked at your Cerulean example, and I get what you mean. But for me it still comes back to "It's simpler just to use Pokemon from your own team in a gym match." Besides, the Gym Leaders are supposed to be the most skilled trainers out of ASB, and naturally they will be more experienced with the Pokemon that they themselves trained. I, for one, would much rather use Pokemon from my own team than from a communal Gym pool that someone else bought, for example, particularly if my title as Gym Leader is on the line.

Andrew
30th July 2006, 01:06 AM
I wouldn't mind using a Pokemon from the Gym personally, I'd take it as a challenge to try and win without relying on the old favourites. BUT when someone came to try steal my place, it'd be:

Game on! MOLES!

The Blue Avenger
30th July 2006, 01:09 AM
Don't get me wrong; if it weren't a gym match where you're supposed to try and beat the challenger into submission as quickly as possible, I'd love to try a match where I don't use my own Pokemon. But in a match of said type, I (and I'm reasonably certain a lot of people would feel the same way) would rather use Pokemon to which I'm accustomed and with which I know how to win.

Andrew
30th July 2006, 01:12 AM
But since Gym Leaders are picked on Talent, not their Pokemon, I think that they'd be able to effectively battle given any Pokemon they could.

The Blue Avenger
30th July 2006, 01:16 AM
That is true, a Gym Leader should be able to battle effectively with any Pokemon. However, when you've used a Pokemon for a long time, you get way more accustomed to it, and thus would be able to battle with it way more effectively than some Pokemon you've never used before.

Chris 2.1
30th July 2006, 06:36 AM
God how long has that conversation been?

Anyway I got the last PM back and can confirm our ASB Gym Leader Line-up:

Chris 2.0
Razor Leaf
The Missing Link
The Blue Avenger
Aragornbird
Andrew

Shortly the Gym Leader Tower will be set up; this is where Leaders can state their arenas and badges and we can finally begin Gym Leader challanges.

Ace64
30th July 2006, 08:22 AM
Don't think I could argue that long at...1:00 in the morning- but hey, that's timezones for ya.

The gym leaders were pretty much who I expected. Only 1 battle at a time, right? Prepare to be swamped with battles for the rest of your lives! No, really.

Silencer
30th July 2006, 08:36 AM
Grats to the gym leaders. Not challenging any off those guys yet untill my team has a couple of more evolved pokémon (like gengar and alakazam, nidoking could be welcome to :p)

Dark Dragonite
30th July 2006, 09:25 AM
Congrats to the new GLs, I already have fought Chris twice, so I have a hint of what he will be like, I'm soon to be facing Andrew, and I used to face TML a lot in the older days though. Should be challenging

Chris 2.1
30th July 2006, 09:36 AM
Twice? :|

Dark Dragonite
30th July 2006, 09:49 AM
Charmander Vs Magby?

recently, where Feizhi vs tropius and abra? vs. octillery

Knight of Time
30th July 2006, 09:53 AM
Congrats to all the Gym Leaders (I expected some people I knew well here would become Gym Leaders).

I'm in the midst of battling one right now (The_Missing_Link), but there's no need for the battle to be made into a Gym battle at any time, I'd rather start a Gym battle with one of the leaders from scratch.

Again, congrats, all of you.

Mega Horny
30th July 2006, 10:39 AM
Indeed, congrats. By the looks of things, its gonna be pretty tough to win.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
30th July 2006, 02:12 PM
Indeed, although the choices were predictable ;)

aragornbird
30th July 2006, 02:17 PM
Hey, coolness, I am a Gym Leader....awesome! I'm looking forward to the Grand Opening of the Gym Leader's Tower. :D

RaZoR LeAf
30th July 2006, 03:14 PM
Gym Leader Thread is now open. Can all Gym Leaders please post their Badges and Arena there (not right now, just as soon as you think them up thanks). Can all non-Gym Leaders please refrain from posting there.

Dark Dragonite
30th July 2006, 03:26 PM
Not posting in other thread...so where do we challenge, in the normal place for ASB matches?

Can a GL deny a challenge?

Ace64
30th July 2006, 03:38 PM
To take part in a Gym Battle all you have to do is challenge a Gym Leader to a Gym Match. You can do this by PMing them, or just posting a topic with the challenge in the title.

If and when a Gym Leader accepts the challenge, they reserve the right to change or set the rules for the match as they see fit.

Copied from the second paragraph or so from the GL thread. It doesn't say they can outright deny a challenge, but I would guess that they could.

Silencer
30th July 2006, 03:40 PM
Question, seeing as you can't post in the gym leader thread I'll post here.

If the Temp-Gym Leader and Ex-gymleader battle (second time for the position) will they fight at the temp leaders gym or the ex leaders?

Chris 2.1
30th July 2006, 04:05 PM
Current Gym Leaders arena.

Dark D: I don't remember that -_-;; My magby or my Charmander? I thought I used a free evo on both. *is puzzled* I remember our more recent match though :P

Dark Dragonite
30th July 2006, 04:13 PM
my charmander(shiny) vs. your magby...that's why I will be getting a zard, so maybe we could have a rematch...

Can a GL deny a match?

Silencer
30th July 2006, 04:17 PM
Gym leader tower says when leader and challenger can't agree on the rules, the GL has the right to deny the challenge. Basicly this means, if you want to fight a GL, go by his/her rules

Chris 2.1
30th July 2006, 04:31 PM
I dont remember that match AT ALL *hangs head* ever since I ate Kellogs Nuclear-O's I've had such a bad memor.............where am I?

Mega Horny
30th July 2006, 04:52 PM
Dude thats awesome! You can think up your own badge? Woot, i've gotta find some way to beat one of you guys and take over! I can dream, right?

Dark Dragonite
30th July 2006, 05:03 PM
ok, so when can we start challenging, when all have posted, and are approved, obviously, I guess?

Also, how does the GL get their pokemon, pick 4 from their regular team?
Can those be used in regular matches after that, or do they stay with the Gym?
Ok, now for argument's sake, I have to ask this...if you have 6 badges from beating all 6 GLs, but 1 gets replaced, do you need that new badge to take a GL down, or no?

+conspiracy+
30th July 2006, 05:54 PM
lol Chris nice badge :D

Negrek
30th July 2006, 09:52 PM
I apologize if I've asked this in the wrong place, but reading the GL rules kinda got me thinking...

Edit: Never mind, I'm just stupid.

And congrats to all new Leaders, btw.

Blademaster
30th July 2006, 09:57 PM
Negrek:

Gym Leaders cannot challenge each other.

Congrats to the Gym Leaders, though we all knew Chris, Dan, and Becca would be GL's, and Andrew and Jeff weren't too surprising either. But aragornbird? I wasn't expecting that... (erm, no offense, ar-bird :heh:)

aragornbird
30th July 2006, 10:25 PM
Oh that's right, you may not know me very well because I was gone for an extended period and you happened to join during my absence. But before that, I was an active member of ASB ever since 2003.

Blademaster
30th July 2006, 10:32 PM
Oh, I see...

So, how was your record at ASB back then?

Dark Dragonite
30th July 2006, 11:19 PM
I know of Aragornbird...I've faced you before...you earned your GLness, congrats, I await the day we face off again!!

The_Missing_Link
30th July 2006, 11:59 PM
Oh, I see...

So, how was your record at ASB back then?

Quite good, as I remember. Although I remember his reffings more than his battles, he's not a weak battler

Spike
31st July 2006, 01:10 AM
Congrats to all GL! Don't expect a challenge from me anytime soon though, I need to get stronget pokemon first.

Mega Horny
31st July 2006, 05:45 AM
From what I've seen, he's quite the tough battler. And, personal experience has lead me to believe the same. I also vaguely remember him winning Ref of The Month, or something of that nature...

Chris 2.1
31st July 2006, 05:52 AM
He clobbered me fantastically back before he left. But our match dissapeared so it wasnt an OFFICIAL win ;) All I remember is Cacnea being thrashed by Dratini...Baltoy losing to Blaziken....I'm sure Elekid did something too. Anyway it dissapeared, like my 6-6 VS Razor Leaf.

Elec Man EXE
31st July 2006, 09:42 AM
Hmm, so AB is a gymleader now? No wonder he's not going down without a fight in our battle (which is also the neverending battle... 25 rounds so far and its only 2 vs 2 :eek: )

Grats to AB and everyone else who got gym leadership. I look forward to taking you all on :D

Everoy
31st July 2006, 11:22 AM
Oh that's right, you may not know me very well because I was gone for an extended period and you happened to join during my absence. But before that, I was an active member of ASB ever since 2003.

I remember you :)

Dark Dragonite
22nd August 2006, 03:54 PM
I doubt this will ever come into play, but being the Devil's Advocate I am...What happens if a GL is DQ'd?
I mean, technically, you didn't [i]beat[/b] them.

I could suggest a system...but it's very outlandish...such as everyday past the DQ, the pokemon of the GL takes a 5-10% hit...be it similar to a freeshot by the pokemon waiting...or you could probably come up with a better explanation...when the pokemon out is KO'd...the challenger wins...of course, if the challenger is DQ'd...game over.

Andrew
22nd August 2006, 10:25 PM
How about the Pokemon tries to fight for itself, but without a trainer, it can't figure out complex strategies, but will attack with what is easiest, and will get it in/out of trouble, as per it's personality.

Dark Dragonite
22nd August 2006, 10:49 PM
that sounds interesting, as I could see Gym pokemon trained to defend themselves without instruction.

Chris 2.1
23rd August 2006, 02:09 PM
Most likely thing is that Gym Leaders cannot be DQued. Or if the MATCH is DQed whoever has the most HP wins.

Dark Dragonite
23rd August 2006, 04:52 PM
If those are the only options, I would prefer the first, it would prevent any intentional DQs

Chris 2.1
23rd August 2006, 04:55 PM
I think intentional ones would be easy to spot. I'm not sure.

Silencer
23rd August 2006, 04:59 PM
So you mean if you are winning and the battle is more then half done?

I think you should make a difference between battler DQ and ref DQ. If a ref hasn't posted in a long time and you can't come up with a sub-ref soon then you could go by the 55% HP thing, but if a battler is DQ you could just make him/her the loser of the fight.

GL's are choisen from experience, team seize and expertize. These aren't aquired by people that are absent a lot so I don't see a GL getting DQ'ed

Dark Dragonite
23rd August 2006, 08:27 PM
I just remember the horrors of Cyrus and company, who when losing...dissappeared...

Silencer
24th August 2006, 05:05 AM
Guess I wasn't around during that time. But you shouldn't be to worried about a repeat of that situation. Atleast not from Chris, RaZoR and the newly appointed TBA who are trying their best to revive ASB. And I'm sure the other GLs have this in mind aswell.

Edit: suggestion. Maybe have the current gym leaders listed in the first post and wether they are available or not? This way you could prevent that "I challenge an open gym leader" threads and turn them into "I challenge that GL" thread. Or you could just have people post in the Gym Leader Tower, saying stuff like "I challenge Chris to a GL match" and as soon as he's available, Chris will start the match with his condition. This way you could fight the people in the order that they posted and they could always PM the GL or delete their post if they want to back out.

Elec Man EXE
24th August 2006, 11:57 AM
I agree with Silencer on that idea... something in the Gym Leader Tower listing each gym leader either in battle, away, or open for battle would really help us regular ASB'ers trying to challenge the gyms, instead of having to search for each gym leader to see if they're in a match or just making open challenges.

Dark Dragonite
24th August 2006, 12:40 PM
I third Silencer's idea...yay democracy?

Blademaster
24th August 2006, 03:17 PM
I fourth the idea - it certainly could be useful, what with five Gym Leaders currently... 'booked,' I guess you can say, and 1 who's MIA...

(yawns)

Mega Horny
24th August 2006, 03:29 PM
I ninth that Idea. The organization would really help out, in general, so ASB and GL battles dont get confused.

Ace64
24th August 2006, 03:36 PM
Why not just have GL's post an open challenge to anyone as soon as they're done with the current match? Whoever is ready to take the GL could. That way, you wouldn't have to clutter up the GL Tower with challenges: "I challenge Chris 2.0!" "Ok, I have him next." Then me!" etc. With all the GL's, you'd be searching all over the page to check if no one else had him. Also, if you've already challenged a GL, maybe you would have to fight another one before re-challenging them again in the case of a loss.

Silencer
24th August 2006, 03:46 PM
That way, I'll probably never get to challenge a gym leader. I live in a completely different time zone then you guys. Besides, people that have had their challenge could delete their post or I think mods can do it as well.

And if you go by status you could do something like

TBA - no challengers
RaZoR - fighting Dark Dragonite, challenged by Wolfsong, Ace64
Chris2.0 - fighting Mega Horny, challenged by Blademaster

You'll know around what time you can expect to fight someone and after you made a post with I challenge that GL mods or thread started can modify the first post and your post can get deleted. No cluttering and people will have a fair advantage and will not be passed because someone just happened to be online at the right time and issues a challenge

Mega Horny
24th August 2006, 04:24 PM
Umm, I'm actually battling Andrew, Chris is battling CL, but that was probably just an example anyway....ok...nevermind.

Silencer
24th August 2006, 04:26 PM
Just an example indeed. But it can be useful, right?

(I always need confirmation, I am really insecure)

Ace64
24th August 2006, 04:40 PM
Only problem I can see is this: GL's can have a fifth slot open for challenges. Regular joes like us can't. Which means, if you're waiting in line, you'll have to keep a slot open for that time, or risk missing your chance for a battle with that GL. In the terms of the example, since I'm behind Wolfsong, I could probably use up the slot- battles don't move too quickly. But when I'm next up, it would be best to keep it open, or miss my shot.

If that kind of thing bothers you. You could just do 1 v. 1 for all that time, I guess. Or give regular joes a fifth battle slot exclusively for GL matches. w/e.

The_Missing_Link
24th August 2006, 05:06 PM
I'm not MIA, I'm just not that creative when it comes to creating a gym and badge

That should be remedied soon though

Blademaster
24th August 2006, 06:44 PM
My mistake. :rolleyes:

I don't think you should worry too much about being that creative, Becca. After all, none of the Gyms on the anime were that creative, when you think about it. If you make it, it's yours, no matter how much or how little effort you put into it.

Anyway, I agree with Ace - the fact that Gym Leaders have a challenge-only slot when the challengers themselves don't have a Gym Leader-only slot seems a little off-kilter to me...

Or, maybe not. It might help, but it could also be hard to keep track of...

Well, like I said, I dunno. It could work, or it could complicate things more...

Anyone else have any input on this little idea... Anyone?

Ultimate Charizard
25th August 2006, 09:06 AM
*looks around* are we mortals allowed to post here yet?
Going on that idea above just liked to ask if there are any free GL's or if i could go on a 'challengers list' etc

Chris 2.1
25th August 2006, 10:00 AM
Like I said in your topic, Becca is the only one not in a battle. A challangers list will be sorted soon.