PDA

View Full Version : Emerald EV question

DarkestLight
25th July 2006, 10:47 AM
Now, I haven't really been a player that works with IV's. EV's, I understand perfectly, and sometimes I use them when I feel like making a specialized Pokemon, but they don't govern my competetive gameplay.

However, on my current Emerald Game..I only have 13 Rare Candies. So I really don't have enough to raise up any LV 5 Pokemon to any substantial level in order to figure out their IV's {Which is a pain in the neck ><}

NOW-My question is this..

On GFaq's, I was reading a guide that *partially* explained how to figure out the IV's of your LV 5 Pokemon using Vitamins....

It seemed plausible....until I realized something. I couldn't figure out how to find out my 0 IV's. {If yer wondeing wtf 0 IV's are, read the guide.} HTFH do you figure them out? {<---For anyone that isint really paying attention, that's my question.}

If I could figure out how this person just simply *poof* figured out how to do that, I'd be good, cause I understand the rest of it. {The example really threw me off, since my P2's stats at lvl 5 are different than that of the Sunkern that was used-and I'm not sure how he just threw 0's everywhere.....}

Conversely-I'm just looking to make a good Porygon2 -.-

Tis gonna be a standard P2, Boltbeamer and what not. I just want it so when the new games come out, I dun have to spend 2938409324 hours getting another good Modest one.

EDIT: Might help if I was to tell you all the guide I read, and what section it was, huh?

It was...Pokemon Game Mechanics {Author Khold Stare}...its Section 5d.
Found under the Emerald Section of Gfaqs. Much appreciated if someone could help me out a bit.

In any event ::Pulls out 4 Linoones:: They better hurry up and find my danged Rare Candies....

Poryhedron
27th July 2006, 11:57 AM
Okay, your question is: How do you find out what a pokémon's "0 IVs" are?

I have just taken a look at the guide for myself, and it uses the term "0 IV Stat" to mean what your pokémon's stat would be if it had an IV of 0 in that stat.

Section 5b gives a formula that calculates the 0 IV stat. It's just the basic stat formula with an assumption of an IV of 0:

( ( ( 2 * BS ) + ( EV / 4 ) ) * L / 100 ) + 5
Where BS = Base Stat, EV = Effort Value, and L = current Level.

Hit points use a slightly different formula:

( ( ( 2 * BS ) + ( EV / 4 ) ) * L / 100 ) + 10 + L
Where the letters all mean the same thing as last time.

So if you've just hatched a Porygon, it's level 5 and has all of its EVs at zero, then its 0 IV stats will be:

HP:
( ( ( 2 * BS ) + ( EV / 4 ) ) * L / 100 ) + 10 + L
( ( ( 2 * 65 ) + ( 0 / 4 ) ) * 5 / 100 ) + 10 + 5
( ( 130 + 0 ) * 0.05 ) + 15
( 130 * 0.05 ) + 15
6.5 + 15

ATK:
( ( ( 2 * 60 ) + ( 0 / 4 ) ) * 5 / 100 ) + 5
( ( 120 + 0 ) * 0.05 ) + 5
( 6 ) + 5

DEF:
( ( ( 2 * 70 ) + ( 0 / 4 ) ) * 5 / 100 ) + 5
( ( 140 + 0 ) * 0.05 ) + 5
( 7 ) + 5

SAT:
( ( ( 2 * 85 ) + ( 0 / 4 ) ) * 5 / 100 ) + 5
( ( 170 + 0 ) * 0.05 ) + 5
( 8.5 ) + 5

SDF:
( ( ( 2 * 75 ) + ( 0 / 4 ) ) * 5 / 100 ) + 5
( ( 150 + 0 ) * 0.05 ) + 5
( 7.5 ) + 5

SPD:
( ( ( 2 * 40 ) + ( 0 / 4 ) ) * 5 / 100 ) + 5
( ( 80 + 0 ) * 0.05 ) + 5
( 4 ) + 5

DarkestLight
27th July 2006, 08:44 PM
o.O..

First. Pory, thank you for taking the time to explain that. I don't know why I couldn't get that.

Second...holy crap this Pory's IV's SUCK >O!!!!

Third..YAY, now I understand how the heck to find these IV'S.

Fourth...well there is no fourth, let me get to work.

DarkestLight
6th August 2006, 07:14 PM
I decided to redig up my original topic-and search this out a bit more.

So-new question for all the better mathematicians.

I am now working on an Adamant Larvitar. Here's what I figured out-

Stats: Lvl 5

HP: 21
Atk: 13
Def: 11
Sp A: 8
Sp D: 10
Spd: 10

Now. I remember somewhere in that guide stating that if you give a Pokemon Vitamins at that stage, 20 IV's equals 1 Stat Point. It says so in the article, I dunno man. All I know what that I was mesmerized and had to see more. Felt like a bad infomercial. ANYWAY.

So, I gave this Larvitar 6 HP UPs, 2 Proteins, 4 Irons, 2 Calciums, and 7 Carbos and Zinc, before each corresponding stat rose up by 1. Now the guide says to count how many vitamins it took to change your base stat-and then you should be able to figure out your IV.

SO! I open up NB, and use the Expert section to try and figure out my IVs {Since I know the stats and how many vitamins it took to raise each stat. Since each Vitamin counts as 4 EV's, it was as simple as dragging the bar.} These are my results.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I didn't actually adjust the IV totals at the top of the Expert screen for Sp Def, leading me to chaos. I still can't figure out HP though. I gotta figure out why Defense isin't working.

HP: 22 after 6 HP's. == IV??
Atk: 14 after 2 Proteins == 30 IV
Def: 12 after 4 Irons == IV??
Sp Atk: 9 after 2 Calciums == 28 IV
Sp Def: 11 after 7 Zincs == 13 IV
Speed: 11 after 7 Carbos == 31

Figured out the Sp Def EV. Defense nor HP will work-and the Legendary Calculator is saying that they are both 31 {which would be awesome, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to take chances on that.}

...Aside from Sp Def...This is probably the best T-tar I'm ever going to have....

mr_pikachu
7th August 2006, 03:44 AM
Actually, that doesn't really make sense...

Here's how EVs work from a technical standpoint. When a Pokemon reaches level 100, then for every 4 EV points it has earned in any stat, that stat's value will be increased by 1 point (from what it would be if it had 0 EVs). The effect isn't as large at the lower levels; you may need many more EVs to make any difference early.

But remember, this has absolutely no effect on your IVs! Simply put, all this can do is increase your EVs early in the game, but it won't tell you what your IVs are. In order to do that, you'll need to level up your Pokemon (either while keeping track of all EVs earned or just by using Rare Candies). Once they've reached a sufficient level, you can determine exactly what all of your IV values are instead of relying on estimates.

Again, changing the EV values tells you nothing about your IVs. The reason they are important in your calculations is because, if your Pokemon has earned EVs and you haven't kept track of them, you could really screw up your calculations.

Poryhedron
7th August 2006, 11:46 AM
Since each Vitamin counts as 4 EV's, it was as simple as dragging the bar.} These are my results.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I didn't actually adjust the IV totals at the top of the Expert screen for Sp Def, leading me to chaos. I still can't figure out HP though. I gotta figure out why Defense isin't working.
Well, here's a possible reason why it's not working out. Vitamins aren't worth 4 EP each. They're worth 10 EP each.

DarkestLight
7th August 2006, 12:55 PM
mr_pikachu. You're right. I do know that your IV's can't change. It was you guys here that helped me understand that.

What this guide is saying is that by keeping track of the Ep's you are giving your Pokemon at LV 5 {via Vitamins} and by how long it takes you you change the visible stat by one number, you then can calculate what your IV is.

And yeah...Pory...this is correct, they are worth 10 EP each. So, after collecting all this surmounting evidence...I decided..that my head hurts.

Trust me, its confusing me too. I'm trying to do it the other way now, though. I'm just leaving Zent in the Daycare and speeding around, levelling up Pokemon and what not while Zent grows to lvl 29. Then I can give her the 21 Rare Candies I have, and boom, lv 50.

But uhh...can I get some opinions? I'm going for a standard Taunitar. Just need a good EV spread. Not 252 atk 252 spd 6 HP. I'm figuring since she has DD, she'll get her speed boosted good enough, so I'll need like 136 EV's in Spd? Maybe 100 in Atk, and the rest to cover her HP/Def-Sp. Def ratio?

Number1ChanseyFan
7th August 2006, 03:02 PM
[color=magenta]People usually tend to ignore the defense/sp. defense stat when EV training a Tyranitar. The 252 Attack/Speed, 6 HP spread that you don't want is usually the most common for Taunting Tyranitar. Other spreads that are common are 252 HP, 172 Speed, 84 Attack and 252 Attack, 196 Speed, 60 HP.

DarkestLight
7th August 2006, 04:38 PM
n_n. Yay. Figured out my EV's finally {Ty NB}

She has an IV of 29 in Atk. Good enough for me.

mr_pikachu, Pory and N1CF, thank you very much :D.