PDA

View Full Version : I assure you this is *cough* legal

Shinryu0
26th July 2006, 12:15 PM
To make a loong story short; I bought a game, tried installing it, but in the middle it said PLEASE INSERT DISC 2. I'm like wth, I only have 1 disc. So I decided to download the second disc, which is, legal, right..? I didn't get the first disc (or my brother lost it, which probably actually happened) so I thought it was cool. Turns out that the second disc is bigger than 700 mb =) it's about 721mb and I can't burn it onto a r/rw disc ... the file is a .bin and I was looking everywhere for help and then I came across this board! The BINary Distract! I have no idea what a .bin is and it came with a .cue thingy. I can't buy the game again because I bought it in a store that was near my cousins' house (diff country) and the game is really old (like 5 years old but its being updated and stuff) and I know right now I'm using horrible grammer but I'm just writing whatever I'm thinking and stuff and it's all really confusing but anyway to make things short:

I want to burn a .bin file onto a CD but it's too big =) and idk what to do +( all I really need is it to be on the E drive.

And also (off-topic) are there any places like amazon.com where you can order stuff but they also order to places outside the States/Canada? Because I live in the middle east and I don't think they ship anything here...-.-...thers nothin here...-.-..

And all this is legal right..because if its not ima kill my bro...

Alucard
26th July 2006, 01:05 PM
Why not just burn it to a DVD? Or don't you have a DVD burner?

Shinryu0
26th July 2006, 03:36 PM
Tried that too! It says if I want to bla bla bla burn on CD and stuff (I have a writer....i think) but then it jsut says something like insert r/rw CD =( my life sucks lol +(

And can you even burn it onto a DVD? I thought you could only do movies and stuff

Alucard
26th July 2006, 04:26 PM
I back up everything on my PC to DVD before I reformat.

Chris
26th July 2006, 07:56 PM
Short answer: burn the cuesheet (the .cue file) onto a CD.

Long answer: A 700MB CD actually holds more data than you think - typically 790MB, but it will contain about 90MB of error correction data (thus leaving 700MB to be used by useful data). Some CD image formats (such as ISO) don't include the error correction data, but the .bin format is a precise binary dump of all data on the original CD, including the error correction data. As such, you can actually use the full 790MB available on the CD. Some CD-burning programs (such as CloneCD (http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonecd.html)) allow you to choose whether to burn the error correction data to the CD - choose no, and your .bin file will fit.

Incidentally, I'm getting tired of seeing thread authors questioning the legality of their own actions in their TBD threads. Not only is it totally irrelevant to the people who might be helping you, it also incriminates yourself. Please don't include any information about the legality of what you're doing if it isn't relevant to the matter at hand.

Shinryu0
27th July 2006, 06:52 AM
Alucard: o.O lol I'll try that again later..

Chris: So I just burn the .cue on the CD..? My bro said he tried that ... and said it didn't work =\ I'll see for myself lol. And CloneCD is confusin...I put the correction error thing on none, and when I try to burn it on the CD it still says its too big (I selected write from imagefile and browsed to the .bin file) and asks if I want to either try to overburn or burn as much as I can. I selected overburn >.< and it's just finished burning, but when I try to select the drive in My Computer its empty =\. It says the used space is 0 bytes and the free space is 0 bytes...=x soz I'll remember the legal stuff next time =] thx

Edit: I just tried burning the .cue on a CD RW via Sonic RecordNow! Plus (can't work out CloneCD...) and when it said insert disc 2 I put the CD in but it still won't work =\

Edit again: I managed to burn something onto a CD and but it just freezes for 500 hours and finally gets an error on the beginning of the installation and says that either the disc is full or the file is in use, I emptied 700 mb and closed everything else and started the installation but it just freezes for another 10000 hours and everything is blowing up, I get all these error messages when i try closing it and I really can't be bothered doing anything about it =.= I think the .cue/bin thing is messed up =\

mr_pikachu
27th July 2006, 03:10 PM
To answer your question about international purchases:

Amazon.com International Sites (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/static/-/gateway/international-gateway/ref=gw_subnav_in/102-6797942-7557725?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

It's set up in essentially the same way as the U.S. Amazon. So just try to navigate it in the same manner, pressing the same buttons and/or using the same searches. If you're able to figure it out, you should be able to reach what you want.

(There are plenty of other sites, too, but you can just run some net searches to find those.)

Mega Horny
27th July 2006, 08:36 PM
Is this a Resident Evil game?

Shinryu0
28th July 2006, 04:14 AM
mr_pikachu: Thx but those countries still arent anywhere near me >.< lol I'll just google or something..

Mega Horny: Um no =x It's called Impossible Creatures =\

Mega Horny
28th July 2006, 08:04 AM
Hmm, because the only multiple disc games I've ever played/heard of were from the RE series. Oh yeah, and Baten Kaitos. What system is it for?

Shinryu0
28th July 2006, 08:26 AM
For the PC of course, silly...^^ And it's not really a multiple disc game, it just takes two discs to install..? Like in the middle of the installation it says insert disc 2, kinda like WoW.

Mega Horny
28th July 2006, 08:28 AM
oh ok. Sorry, i didn't read the rest :P

I can't really help you here, seeing as I use mac.