PDA

View Full Version : Saikano Movie *possible spoilers*

Roarkiller
1st August 2006, 09:26 AM
Managed to watch it finally. For those who don't know, it's based on the anime Saishuu Heiki Kanajo, or Saikano for short, also known as She, The Ultimate Weapon. And IMO is amongst the greatest anime in the past few years.

The movie, though, was a disaster.

It follows the general storyline of the anime, like Chise confessing for Shuuji, her being a weapon, the big war, and all that. Of course, some elements were changed, like Fuyumi and Tetsu being seniors from their school, no mention of Shuuji's previous crush on Fuyumi, the two actually keeping in contact, and especially the ending. >>Unlike the anime where Chise was fighting in vain in a world fated for armageddon, the ending in the movie ended up in a global truce, with one of the conditions being the destruction of Chise, i.e. no armageddon.<<

The plot and general story is fine. But the overall storyline itself is poor. The pacing is horrible. And the main actors were so stiff even a kid could do better. Put simply, it wasn't a story of Chise and Shuuji in a war-torn era. It was a story of Chise and Shuuji whining for two hours. Seriously. Battles hardly lasted longer than 20secs, while talks stretched out for like 5 mins plus.

But the acting was what really ticked me off. Right from the start, it was like watching people reading off scripts held up by a board backstage. It got better after halfway through the movie, but it was still bad nonetheless. The actors' own pacing in their speech was, most of the time, so slow I felt like I was listening to the listening test for JLPT4 (which, FYI, is the lowest level for JLPT). I don't think you even need to have a shred of Japanese knowledge to realize it. Seriously, I can't express in words how bad it was.

Anyway, it quite disappointing to see how badly made the movie is, so much so that it doesn't even deserve being associated with the original masterpiece. The only movie derived from a masterpiece anime I know of that could rival its horridness is Escaflowne (I have the movie, so I can comment), and even that wasn't so bad.

Dark-San
1st August 2006, 10:54 AM
[b][size=3] Me and my brother were trying to locate the movie's whereabout and it looks like from your review, we don't need to look for it anymore. The problem is that is it so badly done up?

I've been hoping for more graphical visuals in the battle but it looks like 20 seconds is not even worth my 2 cents. I'm okay of they change their storyline but with the female lead having to die in the end, is somehow not nice in a way. I'm an aniota that prefers both my leads getting good endings.

Saffire Persian
1st August 2006, 03:28 PM
prefers both my leads getting good endings.

*agrees* I like happy endings.

Anyway, Saikano was good.. I'm sad to hear the whole movie was pretty bad. I'll probably never watch it. I hate being disappointed by shows, but it happens more than you think. Meh.

Roarkiller
1st August 2006, 08:42 PM
I don't really care on the ending. Besides, even the anime had Chise dying, with only her thoughts for Seiji surviving, which also happened in the movie, but done in a way so non-understandable.

The movie was draggy, and for me, that is enough to make it a bad movie. Like Kumo no Mukou, with half the drama and action cut out.

Dark-San
2nd August 2006, 11:15 AM
I don't really care on the ending. Besides, even the anime had Chise dying, with only her thoughts for Seiji surviving, which also happened in the movie, but done in a way so non-understandable.

[b][size=3] You mean in a way that they are really close, hugging each other while crying? I have seen that scenes repeat over and over again in Japanese soap operas. In which most actors and actresses are trying their best but the chemistry is just simply not there.

Roarkiller
3rd August 2006, 03:17 AM
[b][size=3] You mean in a way that they are really close, hugging each other while crying? I have seen that scenes repeat over and over again in Japanese soap operas. In which most actors and actresses are trying their best but the chemistry is just simply not there.

Nothing happened. Literally. And no, there's no chemistry either.

If you've watched the anime, you'll know that they didn't practically do anything worth mentioning in the end. >>But at least in the anime, when the world was destroyed and in darkness, the portrayal of Shuuji patting the head of a non-existant Chise was at least a very moving scene. In the movie, all Shuuji did was to hand over the shared diary with the line "Together forever" in it, then held hands, then, oh the cliché-ness, turned to look at the sky. Which to me, in all forms of respect, was like they didn't do anything.<<