PDA

View Full Version : Moves They Should Know

Metallixs Girl
1st August 2006, 01:21 PM
[color=mediumpurple]Basically the opposite of the "Stupid Moves" thread, which Pokemon do you think should know certain moves but don't?

Charmander line: Tail Glow
Roselia: Charm, Fake Tears
Jigglypuff line: Metronome (I know Clefairy knows it but Jiggly just seems to me like she should know it too...dunno why...)

The Blue Avenger
1st August 2006, 02:25 PM
I think the reasoning behind Jigglypuff not getting Metronome is that it doesn't have fingers. That seems to be a requirement.

More Pokemon should be able to learn Blaze Kick. I mean, Hitmonchan gets Fire Punch, so why can't Hitmonlee learn Blaze Kick?

Knight of Time
1st August 2006, 02:29 PM
Hmm, I think I can come up with a few ideas for this interesting topic.

Absol- Crunch, Grudge, Memento
Pinsir- Megahorn (I'm certain it NEEDS this move in the future, I mean, they do have sharp horns after all)
Dratini line- Recover (they are mystic after all, so I'm betting this move might make a little sense for them to be able to heal themselves)

Foguet
1st August 2006, 07:33 PM
Ampharos: Tail Glow
Espeon: Extrasensory
Exploud: Sonic Boom / Metal Sound / Perish Song
Flygon: Dragon Dance
Magneton: Explosion
Milotic: Charm
Tauros: Horn Drill
Torkoal: Withdraw

As you can see, only Magneton and Tauros are first generation Pokémon. I believe that this attacks-they-should-have issue is corrected as new generations come by, such as when the problem with Charizard and Dragonite not being able to Fly was solved. Eventually, I suppose Ampharos will learn Tail Glow, perhaps in DP, for example.

+conspiracy+
1st August 2006, 07:43 PM
Ampharos learning Tail Glow is really the only one I really care about... most other moves that some pokes should learn aren't really needed.. and I'm sure amphy will get it in DP

Blademaster
1st August 2006, 07:58 PM
Beedrill... and Poison Tail...

Beedrill is a bee; bee's are famous for stinging with their TAILS! Their stings are poisonous! Bees have poison tails, but Beedrill doesn't have Poison Tail!

WTF?

Knight of Time
1st August 2006, 08:04 PM
Beedrill... and Poison Tail...

Beedrill is a bee; bee's are famous for stinging with their TAILS! Their stings are poisonous! Bees have poison tails, but Beedrill doesn't have Poison Tail!

WTF?

I'm not too sure it would be a good idea IMO for Beedrill to get Poison Tail. I mean, to use it effectively, they would have to jerk their main stinger in the back area, and I'm kinda thinking that might hinder their flight if they did such a thing.

The Blue Avenger
1st August 2006, 08:34 PM
I'm not too sure it would be a good idea IMO for Beedrill to get Poison Tail. I mean, to use it effectively, they would have to jerk their main stinger in the back area, and I'm kinda thinking that might hinder their flight if they did such a thing.

On the other hand, that sort of motion is exactly how they attack in Stadium. I don't think it's that much of a stretch.

Elec Man EXE
2nd August 2006, 12:43 PM
I think the reason that Ampharos doesn't have Tail Glow is because the japanese name for the attack is Firefly Glow.

But he should still get it regardless, makes perfect sense.

Mega Horny
2nd August 2006, 04:01 PM
Actually Dragonis, Tauros can in fact learn Horn Drill.

Charles Legend
2nd August 2006, 06:44 PM
Torkoal: Withdraw but you are forgeting that Torkoal learns Iron defence which is a Steel typed withdraw for Torkoal. ;)

Gyaradose Arial ace/Aero blast ;)

All Canine pokemon: Bone Rush :lol: inside joke about Doggie treats shaped like bones...

~Charles Legend

frylock
8th August 2006, 08:28 PM
I always tohught Dragonite would learn Recover. Aerodactyl(along with a lot of other flying types) should learn Aeroblast. Plusle and Minun need to learn selfdestruct, so you can blow them up.

Magmar
9th August 2006, 03:58 PM
Butterfree should learn Fly. I would love to hop onto one of those teeny tiny butterflies and go for a flight. I mean I can ride a foot tall Pidgey after all.

Foguet
10th August 2006, 06:45 AM
Even something as small as Taillow can learn Fly, so why couldn't Butterfree and Beautifly? They are quite big after all, at least for butterflies. Every time I see May's Beautifly resting on her head in the anime, I wonder how come she doesn't end up with a broken neck :) It weighs 28.5 kg, quite a lot to have on your head. So it should be able to Fly, but then so should Venomoth, perhaps.

Cammy White
10th August 2006, 09:54 AM
I know there are lots, but the only one that comes to mind right now is that Umbreon should learn Crunch. I know there are plenty amazing movesets for Umbreon already, but I still feel that it *should* learn Crunch. It's also a pain that you need to keep it as an Eevee until level 30 if you want to learn Bite. I evolved mine at level 6 -_-;; Although, I'm not sure if it's possible to get this via the Move Tutor, so I may be mistaken!

Heald
10th August 2006, 10:25 AM
As far as I understand, physically speaking most flying bugs (in real life) never fly very high, due to the fact their wings are very light and so can get blown away by a single gust. As far as I understand it, the attack known as Fly means the Pokemon flies very high i.e. into the clouds or even above the clouds, then flies straight down, building up velocity and hits the opponent physically. I think only birds could do this, as bugs never seem to be able to reach this height. Therefore I think it is valid for Bug pokemon not to have fly.

Annoyingly, Golduck's single levelling-up Psychic attack is Confusion. IMO, he should have far more, such as Recover, Psywave, Psychic etc. and even Confuse Ray. Golduck is one of my favourite Pokemon but unfortunately I hate having to breed it constantly to give it decent attacks. The one problem is that Golduck is Water, not Water/Psychic, which is incredibly baffling and so lacks the STAB boost it should get for using Psychic attacks.

Mega Horny
10th August 2006, 12:12 PM
He does get psych up...of course that isn't really an attack, and I can see where you're coming from. In the anime, Misty's Psyduck almost never used water attacks and mainly stuck to its' 'amazing' psychic powers. So, just because Its a duck they make it water and decided -- ehh, lets not make it psychic, give it a crappy movepool and make it really hard to get! Also, I was highly disappointed by Togepi. In the anime it is constantly showing off amazing powers and always saving the lives of the main characters, but it just learns a bunch of pseudo-Clefairy moves ingame.

Foguet
10th August 2006, 01:11 PM
As far as I understand, physically speaking most flying bugs (in real life) never fly very high, due to the fact their wings are very light and so can get blown away by a single gust. As far as I understand it, the attack known as Fly means the Pokemon flies very high i.e. into the clouds or even above the clouds, then flies straight down, building up velocity and hits the opponent physically. I think only birds could do this, as bugs never seem to be able to reach this height. Therefore I think it is valid for Bug pokemon not to have fly.
That would mean that the common explanation for Dodrio learning Fly (it jumps so high it's almost as if it were flying) is wrong, because even in the Pokémon world, it seems quite far fetched (no pun intended) that something can jump 1,000 feet above the ground to get above the clouds. And even if it could do so, it would die, because unlike Pidgeot or Articuno, Dodrio hasn't got fully developed wings to help it break its fall.

I never liked Dodrio having Fly, not a bit. I'd almost prefer something like Heracross with Fly.

Elec Man EXE
10th August 2006, 01:39 PM
Bugs also have rather fragile bodys (or at least many of the Bug/Flying types that are butterflies and the like do, exception being something like Scyther). And since they don't have beaks/talons, they'd have to simply ram their body into the foe if they were using Fly, which might hurt them more than the foe, which could be another possible explination for lack of Fly.

I like the not being able to fly high thing better, though. Because that also explains why Mantine/Gyarados/Gligar can't use Fly either. Flying type or not, the first 2 can't really fly at all, and Gligar only glides (hence the name :p).

I think giving Doduo/Dodrio Fly was a lapse of judgement initially, and then once they gave it to them they can't very well take it away. The only opportunity they had to take it would have been in Ruby/Sapphire, since you couldn't trade with the old versions, but they passed that up. Should have taken Fly and given them Bounce.

frylock
19th August 2006, 09:44 PM
WIgglytuff and Exploud should learn Aeroblast too. More poison types need to learn sludge bomb. Perisan and Hitmonlee seem like they could learn psychic, even though Hitmonlee probably couldn't use it. Hitmonlee has to learn Bounce.

mr_pikachu
20th August 2006, 04:19 AM
I can understand most of those choices (although I can also understand not giving Pokemon those moves), frylock. And I can even see Persian and Hitmonlee getting Psychic. (Persian uses just about every other Special type anyway, and Hitmonlee is... well, mysterious.) But why would Wigglytuff learn Aeroblast? Besides the point of it being an exclusive move, what makes Wigglytuff a prime candidate for it?

Silencer
20th August 2006, 05:50 AM
Tauros having horn drill is idiotic IMO.

Horn Drill works with the horn spinning around right? so a croocked horn as tauros has would create a circular motion and create a disk instead of a drill. Pokémon like Rhydon and nidoking have a straight horn so that would make a drill.

mr_pikachu
20th August 2006, 05:55 AM
Actually, that could work. What if only the tip of the horn spun around? Then it would bore a straight hole rather than a circle.

...And even if it didn't work that way - that is, if the move produced a "disc" rather than a "hole" - the attack could still be effective. It just wouldn't be quite as aesthetically pleasing. ^_^;;

Chris 2.1
20th August 2006, 08:41 AM
Hitmonlee with psychic? I don't think so, its a purely bulked up fighting type.

Magmar needs overheat. Why does Primeape get it but not Magmar?

frylock
20th August 2006, 12:58 PM
I can understand most of those choices (although I can also understand not giving Pokemon those moves), frylock. And I can even see Persian and Hitmonlee getting Psychic. (Persian uses just about every other Special type anyway, and Hitmonlee is... well, mysterious.) But why would Wigglytuff learn Aeroblast? Besides the point of it being an exclusive move, what makes Wigglytuff a prime candidate for it?

It just seems like Wigglytuff ouff up to a huge size and blast all the air out. I know teaching a Hitmonlee psychic would be useless, but it just seems like it could learn it. Also, if they make elemental kicks that Hitmonlee could learn, Hitmonchan would become completely useless.

Mega Horny
20th August 2006, 01:07 PM
Not quite. Hitmonchan is lacking in the sp attack department, and makes it up with its attack, while Hitmonlee is more foscused on defense and speed. Or perhaps I'm wrong. I haven't played the games in a very long time.

frylock
20th August 2006, 01:20 PM
What I mean is, with the D/P attack/special attack thing, Hitmonchan will be more useable, since it learns the punches. But if the kicks were designed like Blaze Kick(stronger, high critical hit ratio,) Hitmonlee would be better for that too.

Elec Man EXE
21st August 2006, 10:15 AM
Hitmonlee has a super-high attack, decent speed, and a very poor defense.

Hitmonchan is more balanced, with somewhat lower attack and speed, but not completely defenseless.

Both have high special defense and low HP, and pathetic special attack.

Mega Horny
21st August 2006, 11:27 AM
Right, thats what I meant. And Hitmontop's stats are all fairly balanced. And he's crap. Yes?

Elec Man EXE
21st August 2006, 12:58 PM
None of the Hitmons are that great any more, really.

Fighting pokemon in general aren't used that often, with so many good Psychic/Ghost pokemon around (and used quite often). Of the fighters, the best ones are probably Blaziken and Medicham. 'Cham has no weakness to psychic, and Pure Power ability, which increases attack strength. Blaziken has great stats all around.

But off the 3, Hitmontop is probably the least useful, I suppose. Personally, I like 'top the best, but it seems pokemon more specialized in either attack or defense are in general more favored than the balanced ones.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
21st August 2006, 01:48 PM
Hitmontop has pretty good Defense aswell as the normal, good Hitmon Sp.Def. So he can tank or play a wall.

DaBlackBandit
23rd August 2006, 02:00 PM
Hitmontop, Chan, and Lee

Lee should learn Low Kick
Chan should learn Dizzy Punch, Arm Thurst, Cross Chop, Needle Arm, Shadow Punch, Double Slap
Top could learn Low Kick too, and Dizzy Punch
Blazekin should learn Low Kick
Medicham should learn, Cross Chop, Vital Throw

frylock
24th August 2006, 12:52 PM
Leaf Blade needs to be learned by more grass-types.

Nintendo guy #1: Hey, I have the greatest idea ever! How about a grass move that's actually has some power to it and doesn't take two turns to use!

Nintendo guy 2: Great! Let's only put it on one Pokemon!

That makes PERFECT sense.

Elec Man EXE
24th August 2006, 01:17 PM
Leaf Blade is supposed to be Sceptiles "unique" attack, just like Blaziken had Blaze Kick and Swampert had Muddy Water.

Who knows if it'll stay that way, though. Its possible that they'll spread it around, but the problem is that the description of the attack doesn't really fit anyone else that well, except maybe Victreebel.

mr_pikachu
24th August 2006, 08:59 PM
Well, they have made some previously "exclusive" moves non-exclusive. Remember the big deal about Heracross being the only Pokemon with Megahorn? Now Seaking can learn it, too. So there is some precedent behind changing the exclusivity of moves... although it might be a little different for the starter evolutions. Time will tell.

Mega Horny
24th August 2006, 09:37 PM
Leaf Blade is supposed to be Sceptiles "unique" attack, just like Blaziken had Blaze Kick and Swampert had Muddy Water.

Who knows if it'll stay that way, though. Its possible that they'll spread it around, but the problem is that the description of the attack doesn't really fit anyone else that well, except maybe Victreebel.

As Jeff said, Hitmonlee should have Blaze Kick. Other options might be Magmar and Electabuzz. As for Muddy Water, I can see Quagsire or Whiscash with that as an egg move. Leaf Blade could go well with Scyther maybe, or the new Roselia evo.

TKnHappyNess
24th August 2006, 09:49 PM
Any Ice type that doesn't learn Blizzard naturally should. Here's the list of ones who do learn it.

- Jynx
- Articuno
- Piloswine
- Glalie
- Walrein

All the others don't, and the one that you shouldn't even waste a TM14 on is Sneasel because it's Special Attack sucks like there's no tomorrow.

frylock
25th August 2006, 01:24 PM
I just fund out that Dusclops doesn't learn hypnosis. Doesn't it say hypnotizes people in his description?

Houndoom_Lover
25th August 2006, 02:53 PM
Gyaradose should learn a bloody fire attack, I know it's water and all, but the Pokedex says it get's all ticked off and takes citys down with fire. Well, where's the fire? And Abols should learn more dark attacks...and Duskull should learn Memento without breeding it.

Elec Man EXE
25th August 2006, 03:09 PM
Gyrados does learn fire attacks. Flamethrower and Fire Blast by TM, plus Dragon Rage is often fairly fire-like in appearence (in the games anyway).

Blademaster
25th August 2006, 07:46 PM
You oughta check out the Serebii.net Pokedex more often, Houndy - they have complete move lists for all 386 Pokemon, including TMs, HMs, Tutored Moves, Bred moves, and even Purified moves (from Colloseum)!

I'm telling you, check it out - it'll really help at ASB, since all those moves are legal there; I've noticed you usually only use natural moves. Trust me, the learned ones are usually better. :cool:

...Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I had my Torchic use one of his naturally-learned moves at ASB. :lol:

Now, just so this post contributes something to the thread, I've been researching, and what really irritates me is that the so-called Legendary Pokemon have horrible moves. I saw a few of the movies; those Pokemon used moves that don't even exist in the games. Those black psychic orbs Mewtwo used, Mew's psychic aura, Suicune's purifying ability, Entei's pink flames, etc. The Legendaries should know exclusive moves that only they can use, and s few of them already do: Lugia, the king of the 3 Legendary Birds, knows Aeroblast. Befitting for a king bird. Ho-Oh, the creator of the 3 Legendary Dogs, knows Sacred Fire - not bad for a Phoenix, right? Latias and Latios, who don't seem to have any real purpose save for maybe being the smartest Legendaries, learn Mist Ball and Luster Purge, respectively - odd choices, but exclusive nonetheless. Jirachi the Wishmaster (lame name, I know) has Doom Desire - a good move for something supposedly from space. Even Deoxys, the mutated virus-alien, knows Psycho Boost exclusiely (Yes, Lugia can use it after purifying in XD, but that doesn't seem like it should count, IMO)...

But what about the others? What about Mew, Mewtwo, Celebi, the Dogs, the Birds, the Regis, and the Titans? They need exclusive, Legendary moves. For instance...

The Birds - embodiments of the strength of fire, ice, and lightning, both good and bad. They should have some strong moves:

Articuno - Deep Freeze (Ice version of Overheat, Psycho Boost, etc.)
Zapdos - Thunderstorm (Electric version of Overheat, Psycho Boost, etc.)
Moltres - Scorch Spray (not as strong as Overheat or Fire Blast, but high critical-hit ratio)

The Dogs - embodiments of other qualities often associated with fire, lightning, and water. Let's see what they could have:

Raikou - Speed Shock (not as strong as Thunder, but guaranteed to hit and guaranteed to hit first)
Entei - Volcano Ball (not as strong as Fire Blast, but guaranteed to Burn)
Suicune - Purification (does less damage to a status-affected opponent; then cures the status effect)

The Regis - embodiements of the strength and power of the Earth. They could have moves like these:

Regice - Absolutezero (decent damage; instantly Freezes the opponent)
Regirock - Avalanche (Rock version of Overheat, Psycho Boost, etc.)
Registeel - Astro Bomb (Steel version of Overheat, Psycho Boost, etc.)

The Titans - the big boys. Supreme lords of the land, sea, and sky. These would so fit them:

Groudon - Planet Surge (200 damage; costs half Kyogre's total HP)
Kyogre - Tidal Flood (200 damage; costs half Kyogre's total HP)
Rayquaza - Ultratempest (200 damage; costs half Rayquaza's total HP)

Mew and Celebi - the cute, kid-friendly Legendaries. They could use moves like this:

Mew - Psy Bubble (shields Mew from all damage and status affects; unlike Protect and Detect, it doesn't diminish over time)
Celebi - Quantum Leap (skips the opponent's next turn; doesn't diminish over time)

Mewtwo - ehhhhhh... this guy was tough, but he could maybe have this:

Mewtwo - Black Force (the ??? version of Overheat, Psycho Boost, etc. may cause flinching)

There! Those work, right? And even if theydon't wanna come up with new ones, there's still some they could use that're already out:

Regice should learn Sheer Cold.
Registeel should learn Meteor Mash.
Rayquaza should learn Sky Attack, Aeroblast (barring the exclusive-moves thing), and, when DP comes out, Meteoric Swarm.

And so on, and so forth...

mr_pikachu
25th August 2006, 08:11 PM
Mew - Psy Bubble (shields Mew from all damage and status affects; unlike Protect and Detect, it doesn't diminish over time)

Mew can already learn Toxic via TM. Give it Psy Bubble + Toxic + Brick Break (for Steel Pokemon) + Flamethrower (other Steel Pokemon), and suddenly nobody will battle anyone who has a Mew.

Celebi - Quantum Leap (skips the opponent's next turn; doesn't diminish over time)

Need I repeat myself?

Raikou - Speed Shock (not as strong as Thunder, but guaranteed to hit and guaranteed to hit first)

Please, please tell me it's also weaker than T-Bolt (and hopefully Shock Wave)...

Regice - Absolutezero (decent damage; instantly Freezes the opponent)

This would just **** me off... you're certain to disable your opponent for awhile, and it does damage too?! I hope it's wildly inaccurate (think Dynamicpunch & Zap Cannon).

Blademaster
25th August 2006, 08:26 PM
....!?

Uh, perhaps I misworded that last post a little.

I may have made those attacks too strong for the games, but that was kinda intentional, in a way...

Confused? I'll explain:

In the games, Legendary Pokemon are obtainable. There is only one of each and they are very hard to capture, but they are still obtainable. This has always annoyed me about those games - these Pokemon range from super-powerful, supernatural entities to creatures that could actually be referred to as gods. They should NOT be obtainable and useable by humans, which is why I scarecly use them in the games anymore. But I have seen the anime and a few movies; I know they're meant to be very powerful, so I gave them some very powerful moves.

Besides, I don't work for Nintendo, so I don't think you need to worry about any of these moves actually becoming real (:heh:)- I was just experimenting with a few ideas, is all...

mr_pikachu
25th August 2006, 08:34 PM
That's okay. I kind of see what you mean. The real problem I have with your suggestions isn't the moves themselves (well, Mew's and Celebi's were still a bit extreme, honestly); it's more that the legendaries have stats beyond any other Pokemon, anyway. I agree that most of them have pretty bad movepools, but that doesn't mean they should get a set of moves better than any other Pokemon can get, either. They can be absolute beasts if you simply give them moves as good as the other, "everyday" Pokemon.

Magmar
25th August 2006, 09:52 PM
By the way, Mewtwo's attack strongly resembles Shadow Ball, the one with the black orbs. :) May be a Ghost-type attack but that explains why it nails Psychic-types!

As for Leaf Blade being Sceptile only and possibly Victreebel, I can also see Exeggutor learning it.

Dewgong should learn Megahorn.

Does Scyther naturally learn Guillotine? If not, it should, because I'm pretty sure those blades could remove somebody's head quite easily.

Mega Horny
26th August 2006, 05:23 PM
Does Scyther naturally learn Guillotine?

yesh.

Chris 2.1
26th August 2006, 06:31 PM
isnt Absolute Zero the japanese name for Sheer Cold?

Pokemaster Ash
27th August 2006, 11:18 AM
Well first off, I think the Pokémon that evolve via the Stones should be able to learn a few moves post-evolution rather than nothing (like Raichu, Arcanine, etc.). I know some do, but not a lot.

Also you should be able to give Swampert Hydro Pump in some way, shape, or form other than keeping a Mudkip from evolving a long time. I don't mind Muddy Water, but it's basicially a Surf copy with an accuracy down effect and less accuracy. And Grovyle/Sceptile should learn False Swipes a LOT sooner. By the time you get it, there are barely any more Pokémon to catch (unless you're lazy). Leaf Blade shouldn't be completely exclusive to it either.

And I do agree that the Legendaries should have some unique and/or powerful stuff too, but let's be sensible too. Hell, Zapdos doesn't even learn Thunderbolt naturally! Only Elec attacks it gets are Thundershock and Thunder, and we all know Thunderbolt TMs ain't cheap. I think there might be a few other Electric-Types that don't learn it naturally, and we all know Thunderbolt is a great Electric attack. Good power, VERY reliable.

You should be able to teach Magikarp Surf at the very least, maybe Waterfall. I know Magikarp is a piece of crap in every way, but it's still a Water-Type. As for Waterfall, we know Magikarps are capable of climbing them from the anime. R/S/E's Magikarp copycat Feebas actually learns those thing as well, as well as a whole bunch of other TMs/HMs! (Sidenote: Please don't let there be any more Pokémon like Feebas in D/P, with the only certain tile encounters and then the uber Pokéblock feeding...)

The Regis should learn more moves of their type, like Rock Slide for Regirock, Blizzard for Regice, and Meteor Mash for Registeel. Kinda sucks that they all learn the exact same moves (what the hell are they doing with Zap Cannon, anyway!?).

And on the subject of Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza (the Titans? Heh, like that name for 'em), they already learn some nasty attacks that, while not unique, WILL hurt like hell. They would be Water Spout, Eruption, and Outrage.

Houndoom_Lover
28th August 2006, 12:44 PM
Okay, I just relized that this really ticks me off. XD Houndoom and Abosl should know Doom Desire. How come star boy is the only one with that attach, Hmmm? I mean, Doom is in it's freaking name, Houndoom should get it!

frylock
28th August 2006, 12:57 PM
I don't know about Houndoom an Absol, but Metagross could get Doom Desire. Does Houndoom learn Howl?

Houndoom_Lover
29th August 2006, 10:27 AM
Yep, Houndour learns Howl at level 7. DOOOOOoooooom.

SoulflameNinetales
3rd September 2006, 08:47 AM
Love that move. For some unknown reason, 95% of my bred vulpix know that move, and i bred a LOT of vulpix... :p

Which rteminds me....must train up my Dawn/Dusk duo!