PDA

View Full Version : A computer bug...

Little_Pikachu
6th August 2006, 06:28 PM
This is probably going to sound insane...

It's summer and every night I seem to be killing a mass amount of creatures that I'd rather not share my house with, so I had no problems with squishing a little black speck that seemed to be running up my monitor, however after lifting my finger it was still very much alive and upon closer inspection it was actually on the inside of my LCD monitor.

So my question is, is this even physically possible? Has anyone heard of some totally head fucking virus I might have contracted that could have put some virtual beastie on my screen or is this really an insect inside my monitor? I took a screen shot and it didn't show up on there, I've also tried pushing down on my screen where it is (not too hard, don't want to break the monitor), but it doesn't seem to phase it. If this is virtual or natural does anyone have any clue what to do? I assume if it's a real insect it will die in a day or so (unless it's some freaky thing that feeds on electricity) but I don't really want to be stuck with a dead black speck in the middle of my screen. Before anyone asks I am fully sober and am not taking any drugs or medication at this time, but after this I will probably need some.

Katie
6th August 2006, 11:54 PM
lmao I can't wait for the followup thread after all of its eggs hatch in there :D

mr_pikachu
7th August 2006, 01:23 AM
Hmm. I would think it would have to be natural in this case.

You said you've taken screenshots? I know that some programs (especially video players) show a black space instead of a real picture whenever you take a screenshot. However, even if this was a program, I would think a screenshot would show some alteration, even if it wasn't a picture of the bug itself. (I'm not the biggest techno-geek here, but I certainly haven't heard of something like this that's also capable of completely evading a print screen...)

The critter probably somehow found a way in, whether through something like a speaker hole or through some damage to your monitor. Either way, though, you might want to figure out how to get it out of there. Otherwise you'll likely end up with a roasted bug on the inside of your screen - or, if it laid eggs, many roasted bugs.

Good luck figuring this out, and let us know what happens next. I'd be interested to hear what you find out/do about it.

Chris
7th August 2006, 02:49 AM
Some people at the SA Forums have reported ants, spiders and various insects getting through tiny gaps in computer hardware (usually via the heat vents in monitors or under the glass in scanners) - it's a perfect nest for them because the equipment is almost always warm and risk-free.

The most important thing, though, is that you get that thing out of there quickly before it starts breeding and laying eggs, because you'll have a colony on your hands if you're not careful.

Jeff
7th August 2006, 07:51 PM
Heh, this reminds me of when I had ants crawling around the inside of my clear purple GBC. But anyway, it could just be a problem with the LCD if it was crawling directly vertically or horizontally.