PDA

View Full Version : accessing cache images ?

Katie
8th August 2006, 01:39 AM
uhhh sorry for any stupid I spew here, I don't understand cache in the least except it's what makes stuff come up faster if you've looked at it before.
there's a site I've had bookmarked for a while that sells a dress I want (but don't want to pay for), I decided to try my hand at the old sewing machine and make it, but lo and behold the page now has a little "sorry, we don't sell that product no more!" message. and no pic. I need pic to make dress. see the problem? not that anyone cares about my sewing endeavors but there you have it.
is it in some folder somewhere? I poked around temporary internet files (sounds like the place to start to me!) but I really have no clue what I'm looking at in here. not to mention the whole "DO NOT TAMPER WITH ANYTHING HERE, YOUR COMPUTER WILL BLOW UP" warning :(

mr_pikachu
8th August 2006, 01:47 AM
Hmm. I'm sorry to say that I really don't know how you could access the picture again through your own computer; it might be hard, especially if your browser's history has already been deleted (most delete all sites that have not been accessed in a certain number of days).

However, you might be able to access an old copy of the page using Google's search engine. Try running an Advanced Search for the page you want, and choose to include cached pages.

Also, might actually have more luck using an archiving website like the Internet Archive Wayback Machine (http://www.archive.org/web/web.php), which archive sites so that they can be accessed again at a later date - even if the pages have since been changed or deleted.

Anyway, good luck in finding what you want, and in making that dress!

Katie
11th August 2006, 01:44 PM
Hmm. I'm sorry to say that I really don't know how you could access the picture again through your own computer; it might be hard, especially if your browser's history has already been deleted (most delete all sites that have not been accessed in a certain number of days).
I'm pretty sure I visited the page the day before I posted this. I don't know how the history will help me, since clicking on it just will just bring me to its updated page. firefox tells me it's using "50mb of disk space for the cache". don't know if that's a lot or not o.O

However, you might be able to access an old copy of the page using Google's search engine. Try running an Advanced Search for the page you want, and choose to include cached pages.
I don't see an option to incude cached pages... regular search unhelpful...

Also, might actually have more luck using an archiving website like the Internet Archive Wayback Machine (http://www.archive.org/web/web.php), which archive sites so that they can be accessed again at a later date - even if the pages have since been changed or deleted.
that stupid thing just shows me the current page, even when I go back a year or two 8( so much for "way back"

Anyway, good luck in finding what you want, and in making that dress!
thanks... might just have to do it from memory.

youdontknowme
19th August 2006, 08:02 PM
In your Firefox address bar, type about:cache
Then, click "List Cache Entries" under "Disk cache device."
Then, search for the website's name with ctrl+f and that's it.