PDA

View Full Version : collllegeee

Scarlet Spider
10th August 2006, 01:32 AM
hahaha i havent posted a topic in so long. i feel like a newbie.

anyway.

so im sitting here thinking about how awesome senior year is gonna be next year
and then i thought about the SATs and college.
college has been a hot topic of conversation amongst me and others, and i've been wondering if i should go out of state or not.

being from new jersey, basically there's nothing in my state that's interesting at all...just like, we dont pump our own gas. our colleges are sub-par(disregarding princeton), and our claim to fame is the sorpranos.

and since this board has been up for about 6 years now, im wondering if anyone went to college (haha what a dumb question) and if anyone went out of state, what factors factored in when making that decision, etc.

oh and...does anyone have a good idea for a senior prank? i thought i would add that to this topic for shits, giggles, stuff like that.

and btw i LOVE life.

Master Rudy
10th August 2006, 01:51 AM
It wasn't a hard choice for me to pick a school since I couldn't afford to go out of state. I had it narrowed down to either NKU or UK before I went with the Ohio Center for Broadcasting. I went with them since it focused just on my career choice without a boatload of classes I didn't need. Pretty much the advice I can give is go with a school that best fits what your looking for. Don't forget to look for one with a good rep as well ^_~

Drusilla
10th August 2006, 01:52 AM
HI KEN! *huggle*

I'm going out of state this year. University of Evansville in Indiana... www.evansville.edu

I visited and fell in love, though I'd pretty much made my mind up by that point, anyway. They've got a great liberal arts program and excel in computer science. Though I opted not to major in computer science, I am going for graphic design, which is also great. UE also bought Harlaxton Manor in Grantham, England years back, and now it's their overseas campus, which brings in a huge international exchange program.

Harlaxton Manor was also the site for a lot of the filming of the movie "The Haunting".

Blademaster
10th August 2006, 04:44 AM
I go to college in NJ as well - gona be starting my sophomore year in a month.

What college are you going to, pray tell?

Magmar
10th August 2006, 06:11 AM
If you can acquire the financial aid for it (or don't even need it), GO OUT OF STATE, it's so worth it.

Oh and for a senior prank, do what I always wanted to do. Take some farm animals and spray paint numbers on their backs, like say chickens, and spray paint the numbers 1, 2, and 4 on their backs and let them free in the school. They will take quite a while trying to find #3! ^_^;

RedStarWarrior
10th August 2006, 06:40 AM
New Jersey also has delicious rainbow! [/Robot Chicken Reference]

Anyway, in-state is a lot cheaper than out-of-state as far as tuition is concerned. Apply wherever you want and make sure to apply for scholarships of all sorts. Prepare for either situation now by applying both in and out, then choose later. Do not do early admission though, unless you are positive that you want to attend.

nightcrow
10th August 2006, 08:00 AM
hey kennedy. ;p

NJ sucks. i could never trust a state that A) doesn't let you pump your own gas, and B) doesn't let you do normal U-turns. seriously wtf man.

If you are hard-bent on leaving the state, but have money issues, come to the south because especially in FL, out-of-state tuition is about equal to most northern state's in-state tuition O_o;

Bulbasaur4
10th August 2006, 01:13 PM
[color=royalblue]
I'm not too sure how the other states handle... but if you can't afford to go out, OUT of state... then why don't you see what alliances your state has made?

What I mean is this, Minnesota has made a deal with both Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota and South Dakota (basically all the states bordering). Since they're highly interactive with eachother in the beginning, these states have a deal that they will "honor" the other state's in-state tuition. So if you go to Wisconsin and you live in Minnesota, Wisconsin will have you pay the in-state tuition of Minnesota instead of the out-of-state tuition. Perhaps New Jersey has some deals like that with other states?

I go to Carthage College (http://www.carthage.edu) which is a small Liberal Arts college located right smack dab next to Lake Michigan and is like a half an hour away from Milwakee and forty five minutes away from Chicago. I picked them because they gave me a heaping load of scholarships and because their professors were really awesome and fun to interact with. Also, I liked the people there! I met a few to begin with and the community of Carthage can be comparitive to high school (but any college can), however the best part is that you can totally immerse yourself in with people who you want to be with and no one else will bother you. (Unless you want them too. ^_^)
Also the Lake is gorgeous... hearing waves lap against the shore everyday is my cup of tea- and no salty air! XD

When deciding for a college, you have to think of what means the most to you and rank it. If money is a big deal but you want to go out of state... then look at State Colleges! There are plenty of State Colleges around.... but don't rule out any college until you look into them. State college are not as apt to give scholarships as private colleges, so they could even out.
For example, I wanted to go to Carthage but it costs 30,000. The other state college that I could go to was 12,000 (Mankato). However, after applying to Carthage and stuff... it ended up to be 12,000 with the scholarships. So... things like that could work out! ^_^

... and I wouldn't dream of getting rid fo my college. ;_; 'Tis where I met doooooooommmy. XD

Everoy
10th August 2006, 01:34 PM
I don't go to college yet (I'm a sophomore in high school), but I'll probably end up at the University of Minnesota because it's unbearably close and I could still live at home.

Scarlet Spider
10th August 2006, 01:50 PM
Blademaster - i really don't know, considering our douchebag of a governor raised the prices of rutgers by about 5000, if i plan on going there the in-state tuition would be around 20,000 for living in state. seton hall would also be an option, but not as much. my sister goes there and i could probably get crazy scolarship.

my other plan is to go to community college in jacksonville, fl for two years and then transfer into the university of florida. that way i can pay in state tuition (considering it is 13,000 less than out of state ). transferring from a fl community college with an AA degree and at least a 3.5 GPA would almost guarantee me into UF, which has been my dream school for quite some time

rude boy - haha yeah i've heard of that prank. i think that was already done. my psychology teacher told me that one time the seniors filled the school 2 feet deep in water, cut down all the trees surrounding the school and then set the football field on fire 0_0. which really isnt even a prank...its just dumb

nightcrow
10th August 2006, 02:33 PM
Haha, UF is a freakin HUGE school. Everyone I know and their dog is going there. It's rediculous. But transferring in is a really good idea, especially since now-a-days it's really hard to get in. It's a good choice ;p

Gengachu
10th August 2006, 07:05 PM
This year will be my first year of college. I'm going to a private school called Sterling College about 2 hours from my current location. I'm leaving in a week, and I'm very excited and a bit scared, too.

If you want to figure out where to go to school, I think you should visit as many colleges and universities as you can and as soon as you can. If you wait too long you'll lose scholarship oppurtunities, and I think to really make a good decision, you have to experience the schools a little. As far as out of state and in state goes, I thought about going out of state, but it would be a lot more expensive and harder to come home. Good luck with whatever you end up doing. :)

Link
10th August 2006, 07:22 PM
My sis will be going to Drew University in Nj soon you guys. :p

The_Missing_Link
10th August 2006, 08:07 PM
I live in Massachusetts but I go to a college in Vermont for a variety of reasons. It had the major I was after, it had a small school population (around 3000), you get to live in restored Victorian houses, it was within driving distance of my house and Burlington is a good college town. There are always downsides to your choices but as long as you feel confident about it, you should be fine

Drusilla
10th August 2006, 08:47 PM
Do not do early admission though, unless you are positive that you want to attend.

Why not? I did early admission to the three schools I applied to, and knew by the end of Christmas break that I'd been accepted to all three (UE, Texas Christian, and Tulane). Plus, I had free applications.

Which reminds me- if you take the SAT soon, be sure to get it sent off to a college you really want to apply to. Since I had my PSAT, SAT, and AP scores sent to those three schools (see above), I got fee waivers. I also had them sent to UCLA, but they're too big to give a damn about anyone, lol. Besides, my cousin just graduated from there, it would be creepy for people to recognise the last name or ask if I have any relatives in the area. My family is cursed with "carbon copies" of each other.

And, should you decide to go to a private school, many of them (if not all) have the same rates for all students. I never came across a private school that charged extra for out of state students.

TML- that's around the same size as my high school was... ._.

mvtm
10th August 2006, 09:14 PM
If you have the economic resources,the will, and the opportunity to attend a better overall college.Then go out of state!, but...again thats your choice not anyone elses choice :P

I..., on the other hand..live on south america,Venezuela. Where the public education is thrash.... Here private education is the way,we have many fine private colleges here that .. in fact.. may cost much much much less than those on the usa, and bring our citizens a competitive education.But i dont feel near confortable despite this.

Here, they are many many thief,kidnapping,killing and we are a very unsafe country..plus even if we got a major resource of oil.. our political situation cant get any worse and our economy is degradating...Workers can earn 200usd a month!!... this is like wtf .. that doesnt even pays the rent.I see with sad eyes what my country has become. I want to grow my future children where they can be safe. Therefore i am desperately searching the ways to apply to college in states.Thats my goal.. if only ..if only money wasnt the issue

Jeff
10th August 2006, 09:38 PM
I did community college for 2 years, and its a great way to save money. But if you're the kind of person that can better handle 1 adjustment over 2 smaller adjustments then go right for a 4 year school. I know alot of people from New Jersey go to school here (in Maryland), paricularly my sister's school, Mount Saint Mary's University. I'm not sure if our states have any kind of alliance but you might want to look into that.

Scarlet Spider
11th August 2006, 12:38 AM
Haha, UF is a freakin HUGE school. Everyone I know and their dog is going there. It's rediculous. But transferring in is a really good idea, especially since now-a-days it's really hard to get in. It's a good choice ;p

haha yeah i know, my cousin went there and hes been like, selling me UF since i brought it up as a possibility.

its a good school. plus their football team is reallly good and their basketball team just won the national championship =)

to be honest, i might just end up going to rutgers because im too lazy to do the whole process of applying into community college then transferring.

laziness has ruined my life haha.

and i dont think new jersey has any alliances...i never even heard of it until now.

Razola
11th August 2006, 04:42 PM
Why not? Early attendence generally puts you a pool of very highly qualified applicants. With general admission you have a broader range of people, and ergo easier chance to make it.

jet1213
11th August 2006, 11:41 PM
i dont see what the big problem with new jersey is..

if you want to go to a good school, there is always TCNJ (the college of new jersey) and im sure there are others.. also there is plenty to do in this state. It is right by a beach and new york city.. that is more than one can say for most states.

Drusilla
13th August 2006, 01:59 AM
Early attendence generally puts you a pool of very highly qualified applicants. With general admission you have a broader range of people, and ergo easier chance to make it.

Wow, I feel special now... ^_^;;;

Asilynne
13th August 2006, 10:51 AM
If you have to pay for college yourself trust me, Scolarships and financial aid are your friends! Oh and in high school when I thought my parents would be able to pay for college I always wanted to go out of state (because I lived in VA my whole life and wanted an advanture) but I didnt realise how big a difference in state and out of state was price wise. In July I finally had some extra money and I was going to take a class at NOVA while I waited for the course I wanted in the spring, but they told me since I lived in KY less than a year ago they were going to have to charge me out of state tuition (even though I lived in VA for like 21 years LOL) Because of that one year in KY and it hasnt been a full year since I was back yet, my costs for 1 class jumped from 300 something dollars to 988 dollars which needless to say I didnt have. It was a dissapointing setback but when things like that happen you just gotta keep rolling with it :D
Once the march classes open up Im going to see about financial aid, and if you need it then register for it as soon as possible. Plus people have told me to try and apply for grants, theyre like student loans but you never have to pay them back ^-~

Magmar
13th August 2006, 03:18 PM
When God saw the Israelities in peril, he gave them grants. Grants are definitely manna from heaven for college students. TAKE THEM IF YOU CAN GET THEM. It's free money ^_^

Scarlet Spider
14th August 2006, 12:27 AM
i dont see what the big problem with new jersey is..

if you want to go to a good school, there is always TCNJ (the college of new jersey) and im sure there are others.. also there is plenty to do in this state. It is right by a beach and new york city.. that is more than one can say for most states.

well tcnj is increasingly harder to get into...its applying for ivy league status but i HIGHLY doubt it will ever get there...

and i was also considering TCNJ but ewing nj is sooo boring. there is absolutely nothing to do there. plus, its an hour and a half away from my home so its also quite a drive.
and for some reason i was never a fan of the city. idk why.

and im surprised no ones really posted a response to the school pranks one.

that's quite disappointing.

Drusilla
14th August 2006, 01:25 AM
We didn't have a senoir prank...

Well, other than the beachballs at graduation. Our school searches everyone before the ceremony and confiscates beachballs, airhorns, ect.... I think that everyone brought them to rehersal and taped them to the underside of their chairs, because every two seconds another beachball was flying across the floor while people were crossing the stage. It was really funny... though kind of annoying, because we had a lot of people and most of us wanted to get the hell out of there after the first hour and a half...

jet1213
17th August 2006, 05:33 PM
well if tcnj isnt your cup of tea, there is always rowan, seton hall, rutgers, drew, monmouth.. etc