PDA

View Full Version : Yes Billy, that Gatorade sure is explosive stuff.

Bulbasaur4
10th August 2006, 02:21 PM
[color=royalblue]
The Report (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/10/us.security/index.html)

So I woke up really early this morning as my mother was running all over the apartment, talking about 'emergency' stuff. That's when I first heard about the terrorist plan and the sudden uprise of emergence regarding planes in Britian and the United States. (My mother is a base manager for LAX for NWA, so I hear these things early.)

So... it appears that the government uncovered a plot for terrorists to use a liquid explosive mix using Gatorade, and then the detonator would be an electronic device using an mp3 player or what-not. This to me slightly scares me... just because having been a security officer, I know just how hard it is to find liquid explosives. Usually x-rays can detect explosives easier because the stuff (such as syntax) is compacted and appears as an undefined mass, along with the three other components of a bomb. However, liquid explosives do not have a compacted appearance and thus it makes it that much harder- especially if it is contained in everyday items. Liquid explosives are not used as much- well, they used to be not used as much- because they're hard to make. However... if terrorists figure out how to make the bombs less complicated, that just makes this whole mess more complicated for everyone else.

I just sort of find it strange how the terrorists are going for the same companies- United, Continental, American (Not including British Airways since this was international flights, unlike 9/11) I asked my mother why not "Northwest for instance" (since she works for Northwest) and she says that certain airlines have different security levels (or some thing like that). For instance, during the 9/11 attacks, one of the terrorists involved in the plot went upon a Northwest flight and was going to use the Northwest plane like the other 4 planes were used. However, before the flight took off, Northwest removed him from the flight due to 'security problems' regarding the man. (They don't go into detail). So I was wondering... I know airport security is important upon a government scale, but perhaps should the airlines be given guidelines for their own processing too? Is there something that certain airlines are doing that others don't, which make it a reason why terrorists avoid those airlines?
Hrrmm... thoughts and stuffs..

... I am NOT looking forward to going to work tomorrow... >.<;

Roy Karrde
10th August 2006, 02:24 PM
And here I thought that they used the airlines becuase they were recognized names. United Airlines = United States. American Airlines = Americans. Anyway I don't know why people give security people any shit at the airports. They are government hired and paid by the hour, so you can bitch at them all you want. They will just make life worse for you.

As for the actual questions, I would guess Terrorists do several dry runs, and the ones that they can actually fullfill their operation on, then they use those. The ones they have trouble on, or get asked too many questions they stay away from.

Bulbasaur4
10th August 2006, 02:35 PM
[color=royalblue]
Oh, they do that a lot but they do even more.

Terrorists stake out airports and watch them for several weeks or months. They recognize the workers, track which ones seem to be not paying attention and everything like that. It is really unnerving because they catch a lot of people doing that.. some of them try to take pictures of the monitors too which is really odd. Even high security airports have their flaws, and it makes everything that more pressurized.
Scary fact is that there are so many different types of terrorists. There are even "Black Widows", which is a an act that started in Russia. If a women's husband or family is destroyed by war, then they become a "Black Widow" and commit acts of terrorism by using themselves as a sacrificial bomb against the country who killed their family. Currently it is a big problem in Russia, but stuff like that grows.

People complain all the time about 'security at the airport' and the biggest complaint is the 'taking off the shoes' rule. Seriously... so many people complain about that, it makes me wonder- what hole were you in when the shoe bomber issue came? And some people are like, "Oh my shoes aren't like that." I want to say, "Yeah... but the guy's behind you might, so we're checking all of them." It sucks because no matter what you do... people are going to complain. If security does their job and checks everything, they get bitched at. If a plane blows up, its their fault. So... they deal with the getting 'bitched at'. And now with the liquid stuff... I know Britian has ruled out toothpaste, hand lotions and any liquid substances. I wouldn't be surprised if America followed suit, but THEN imagine how much they're going to complain.

Ahh... but my favorite quote ever. A man was complaining about his shoes and saying (security gets this line a lot), "I wish all the airports were the same! I've traveled all over the world and I've never had to take off my shoes in places like Europe!" Then a lady passenger next to him looked at him and said, "Well then go back to Europe." XD I travel all the time so I hear sooooo much stuff...

... but all I know, is I'm traveling KLM from now on! No one will want to get a Dutch plane.

Arnen
10th August 2006, 02:37 PM
What, so now we can't bring drinks or electronics on to airplanes? That's BS, man -_- And no hand lotion? I NEED my lotion >_< My hands get really dry... asshole people being so paranoid...

Darkness
10th August 2006, 02:53 PM
[color=royalblue]
... but all I know, is I'm traveling KLM from now on! No one will want to get a Dutch plane.

Or the fact that their service sucks. =P

I doubt it'll be a permanent measure, the ban on liquids/personal belongings/etc that is. BBC reports that it was an ongoing operation lasting several months and that the raid (or whatever it was) was executed last night because of a tip from Pakistani intelligence. They also said this is the beginning stage of the whole operation so we can expect more arrests and breakthroughs to follow. Heathrow currently is clogged because flights have either been cancelled or severely delayed.

I don't see what's there to be really afraid of. I didn't know about the Gatorade, but I did know that it was stated that they would be using 'common items' (most probably water bottles, etc). This'll blow over in a week or two. However, you can expect the UK authorities to be more thorough and strict in their security check. Those of us in the US won't have to worry because it's not like the people doing the security checks do much anyway.

P.S. B4, where do you work?

Bulbasaur4
10th August 2006, 03:04 PM
[color=royalblue]
I work at LAX airport.

Yes, they are making everyone get rid of their liquids, hand lotions and any form of liquid items unless they are essential (like breast milk, insulin, medications). It is NOT BS though... yeah it is a bit extreme, but people need to understand that this is a temporary measure due to the terrorist. Over 50 planes were targeted and not all members of the plan have been caught. If you don't want to throw it away, then simply check your luggage in with the airlines.

Some stupid lady on the news just was so dramatic about throwing away her make-up and she was like, "I don't think blush is going to blow up a plane." I want to smack people like that. Yes, obviously blush will not blow up a plane... but powdered explosives placed into a blush container can! The thing is this: do you want to be hassled slightly with security, or do you want to run a bigger risk of your plane being blown up? Especially in California, where all terrorists attacks have been designated to head to.
If the government didn't do anything or change anything... people would complain then too. "Government isn't doing enough.. blah blah..." and it just annoys me in regards to Airline security. If they don't do some thing, people complain and if they do some thing, people complain. Fact of life, i know but it just bothers me since I have to listen to people complain to me like I just made the rules up for them.
Another guy complained on the news stating, "I wish I would have known about this earlier..." and to that I smacked my forehead. IT JUST HAPPENED! GAH! "I'm sorry, next time we'll let you know a night in advance we find out that there was a terror plot, because... you know... we're psychic."

I understand people's frustration but I just want to tell them, "deal with it." I'm going to be flying within the next week out of CA and I'm going to deal with it. Just check your luggage instead of bringing it on the plane with you!

BTW: Electronics are allowed.

If anyone has a question on prohibited items however, I can tell you. ^_^;

Asilynne
10th August 2006, 03:21 PM
Security wasnt that bad last week, and Im so glad that stuff didnt happen last week lol I didnt even have to take off my shoes when I was on my way back to Dulles (IAD for those who know lol) I guess CVG doesnt care about their planes.
Maybe its because I dont fly that much but I dont care about extra security measures. You're supposed to get to the airport 2 hours before your flight takes off anyway and hell, I dont want to get blown up lol

What I think is really funny is in the Cincy airport one of the things on the "Do not bring" list was a chainsaw, you know if it was on there that someone had to have tried it once XD

EDIT: Oh yeah, I was kinda disappointed that they didnt even bothered to ask what was in one of my bags, me and Rudy were taking a bunch of his old games from his parents house home with us and on the X-ray Im sure it had to have looked at least a LITTLE dangerous! And they didnt even want to inspect it ;.; Thats sad lol

Arnen
10th August 2006, 03:22 PM
If they're stupid enough to try bringing liquids on again after they've already been caught, they're pretty much begging to get caught. But that doesn't mean that people shouldn't be allowed to bring stuff on. They could at least check bottles of lotion and stuff to see what's in them instead of just throwing them away. -_-

Razola
10th August 2006, 03:24 PM
After a while, the cost of security gets too great and you just have to accept that, if someone wants to kill us, they will succeed if they try hard enough.

You can't watch out for everything, so there's no sense in putting everyone through hell to do it.

Darkness
10th August 2006, 03:45 PM
I still haven't seen much happen at the airports in the US, but then again, I only travel out of Newark (EWR) or New York/JFK Int'l (JFK). Though it was really funny because I was traveling to Pakistan (I'm of Pakistani descent for those who don't know) and this was right after the 7/7 bombings. Not only did they make you come off the plane at Manchester, they made you bring all your hand baggage. It was really stupid of me, but I didn't realize that the case for my glasses has metal inside it. The security guy was nice enough to point out that it has metal inside it...after he patted me down. ^^;;

I have no problem with these security checks, I always go through them quietly and I cooperate with the authorities whenever they pull me over (which is pretty often considering my background and religion). Bulbasaur4, I agree with you- I hate those idiots who complain about the security checks. It really pisses me off because they don't realize that 1) they're not the only ones going through the procedures, and 2) that their whinging just extends the process.

Bulbasaur4
10th August 2006, 04:03 PM
After a while, the cost of security gets too great and you just have to accept that, if someone wants to kill us, they will succeed if they try hard enough.

You can't watch out for everything, so there's no sense in putting everyone through hell to do it.

[color=royalblue] -_-; Trust me, the cost of security doesn't increase with this... they don't pay us any more to make sure lotion bottles and stuff aren't in them.

And Arnen, we call the bomb squad if we think there is a bomb. We can't just go opening up lotion bottles or bottles with think contain explosives (especially with all components) because you know what happens? It blows up. Oops, just killed everyone in the airport. XD

In any case... the whole thing sucks and I'm happy that I'm done working this monday! Weee!! ... then I fly home and go to college and the world is a happy place for me. XD I just feel bad for my mother having to deal with all teh crap today... X.x

Magmar
10th August 2006, 04:13 PM
Okay, my biggest fear is airplanes, just so everybody knows. This just made things so much worse. Why?

Well, my boyfriend is in California and is flying back to Rhode Island (has layover in New York) on Tuesday. I know it said they originated from Britain, but we don't know that they would be on incoming flights from Britain. We don't know that. What we do know is that people are targeting airplanes again... and that scares me so much :( Yes, that IS terrorism and I AM TERRIFIED of what could happen to my Wesley. I love him so much and I just want him to come home :( I need him :(

and that's my sad, scared, 4 year old rant right there

TKnHappyNess
10th August 2006, 07:04 PM
I should hope Game Boys and DSes are allowed on planes. It's not like people will remotely blow up a plane with them. And anyone who does must die for disgracing Nintendo.

PNT510
10th August 2006, 08:14 PM
I should hope Game Boys and DSes are allowed on planes. It's not like people will remotely blow up a plane with them. And anyone who does must die for disgracing Nintendo.

[b]Don't worry, no one is trying to take away your gameboy...... yet!

mvtm
10th August 2006, 08:49 PM
If drugs can be hidden in our bodies,then i am quite possitive that bombs can easily be hidden on electronic devices. Meaning that on another scenario, bombs can be hidden inside our bodies??.

So.. i start thinking, whos going to stop a terrorists for blowing theirselves??!
If i can recall everyone of us has Human Rights, so how far can go the TSA....

TKnHappyNess i am not sure, but i think all electronic devices have been temporally banned including those who works with alkalines batteries(gameboys..).Either way i support all the way the security methods applied,if by this means, improves inflight safety.

So many people transit by an airport terminal..thats its a hard task to keep an eye on all, and with this nano tech it be harder. But lets keep possitive,they are so many good guys who try to do their best to stop this evil plans to sucesfully accomplish.

Jeff
10th August 2006, 09:50 PM
I remember hearing a story about a gameboy that was made into a bomb...

But anyway, I think people have to realize that it's OK to look out for these things. It annoys me when people say that everyone's being paranoid, and then when we don't get any major terrorist attacks because people have been cautious, they say "see, nothing happened". What these people have to realize is that terrorism is real, if 9/11 wasn't proof of that I don't know what is.

Bulbasaur4
12th August 2006, 08:22 PM
[color=royalblue]
As I stated before, Electronics are allowed. If you ever are traveling and need to know... go to the TSA's website.

Asilynne
13th August 2006, 10:41 AM
I had my DS on the plane and some girl I sat next to had a laptop (which she kept on even when they said to turn off all electronics cause we were landing :P) There was lightning outside the window too which freaked me out lol but Im alive :D

Oh do any of the airports you guys have been to have the new sniffer machine thing? (Dont know what its called sorry) You step inside and it shoots air at you and then breathes it in to see if it smells any kind of chemical or drugs on you. I was worried at first cause the day before I went to a shooting range and I was hoping it didnt smell the gunpower but it didnt lol I guess it just smells things that are strong enough to be on you right now.

Master Rudy
17th August 2006, 07:36 PM
Speaking of airport security here's a weird one for you. The TSA at the Cincinnati/Northern KY International Airport has a display case with items not allowed onto planes. Sure you've got your typical things in there......flameable objects, knife, chainsaw.........

Wait......chainsaw?
I kid you not. In their display case is a chainsaw since soooooo many of us travel with them. As a rule I say if there's a warning for it then someone was dumb enough to do it......lol

Blademaster
17th August 2006, 07:39 PM
Heh... that's actually pretty funny... What's next?

"All Samurai must check their katanas before boarding the flight."

:lol:

TKnHappyNess
19th August 2006, 08:40 AM
Well, the ban has been lifted when it comes to alcohol in your carry ons in Canada, except you can't take it on planes headed to the U.S. or U.K., which doesn't matter since you can get booze there anyway. Only because the Duty Free shops at Pearson in Toronto have been suffering. I'm not sure about the other major airports across Canada.

Kris
19th August 2006, 04:31 PM
I flew last week and it was ok as long as we took nothing (except wallet) on the plane. It was pretty annoying to see all the people who were like 'but this is so unfair, I was not warned!!!!'.

Do some people not every watch or listen to the news?

mr_pikachu
19th August 2006, 05:56 PM
I flew last week and it was ok as long as we took nothing (except wallet) on the plane. It was pretty annoying to see all the people who were like 'but this is so unfair, I was not warned!!!!'.

Do some people not every watch or listen to the news?

Pretty much. And the sad thing is, those people don't have the TPM News Service to help them. :(

So, Canada had the ban for awhile, too? I wouldn't have expected that. Now, can you take non-alcoholic drinks with you? Just wondering.

TKnHappyNess
19th August 2006, 06:57 PM
They changed it a little bit. You can buy alcohol at the Duty Free shops, and when you get to the U.S. or the U.K., you can pick up your order. It's just that because of the ban, the Duty Free shops (the main source of airport revenue) had to shut down, and hundreds of people got laid off. However starting today, they lifted it so if you're going to places OTHER than the two I mentioned, it's perfectly fine to have alcohol in your carry on.

darktyranitar
20th August 2006, 09:51 PM
Heh, all this news just prove that people are getting more and more paranoid...