PDA

View Full Version : A-Levels! How did you do?

Weasel Overlord
17th August 2006, 12:25 PM
[color=silver]Judgement Day! Oh yes, that is the day of hell for any English A-Level-studying Student! So, how did you all do, and where are you going!? (I'm being optimistic about how many English people there are on here ><)

I got;

English Language: B
English Literature: B
Classical Civilisations: B
Hooray! And that got me into Lancaster University, to do English Language and Creative Writing! Hooray!

So, share the love people! Or the tears... ><

Heald
17th August 2006, 01:03 PM
Economics: B
Government & Politics: B
Religious Studies: B

Yeah, I did pick the easiest courses. Yeah, I'm lazy, go fist yourselves.

I'm going to Sheffield in 2007. Gap year purely out of spite.

Cheesey
17th August 2006, 01:04 PM
I'm not English, but! I live in Scotland so it's fairly similar. Last year, I did my 5 Highers (they're the equivalent to AS levels, roughly) which were English, Philosophy, Biology, Music and Geography...

And I got 5 As! Now I'm going into my final year of school to do Advanced Highers (English, Biology and Music) which are quintessentially A Levels, but we only have the one year to do them, and I've heard that you get 2 years in England. The differences of the Scottish & English systems are quite confusing, do you get 2 years for AS levels? And how long for GCSEs?!

Dark Dragonite
17th August 2006, 01:49 PM
Sorry, not in College yet(took a while off)

Ack, you're going to Lancaster?! With my ex!!

Weasel Overlord
17th August 2006, 03:17 PM
[color=silver]Bloody ell, we get five years for GCSEs, one year for AS levels, and one year for A levels. We do two years in total at college, first year is AS and second is A.

It sounds like your system ain't so much different from ours, Cheesey. ^_^

Is your ex someone to be afraid of, DD? Should I arm myself with a large stick before I go? hehe

Dark Dragonite
17th August 2006, 07:29 PM
She's not horrible, she can be a good person, just has her moments like everyone else...but if you ever want to date her...she will break up with you if you get in a horrible not your fault car accident on her mom's b-day...
ROFL
(Yes, I know you're female too)

Magmar
17th August 2006, 08:59 PM
Congratulations on doing so well on your A-levels!! :) :) These tests are quite interesting, I wish the American school system would do something like this besides the stupid SAT. I'd love to teach super-advanced Spanish reading and writing, and also Journalism (I'm a Creative Writing student), but that won't happen because our school system is so lax. I have very high standards of my students ^^;

Jeff
17th August 2006, 11:08 PM
Yeah, like Barry just said, we just have the SAT and (*breaks out cane*) in my day, the score for it only went up to 1600, and I got 1270, which wasn't that bad (my girlfriend at the time barely broke 1000). So I got into a good geek school (University of Maryland, Baltimore County), decided to do community college for a couple years, applied again to the same school and got in again, that time I went.

Dark Dragonite
17th August 2006, 11:38 PM
Oh yeah, I never took my SAT...going to Palm Beach Community College...it's cheaper...then transfer to one of the country's best pharmacy schools...Nova South Eastern!!

Magmar
18th August 2006, 06:09 AM
I got 1250 on my SAT, Jeff, pretty much the same score (a difference of probably two right answers). I got into every school I applied to, but finances were my deciding factor.

mr_pikachu
18th August 2006, 06:25 AM
Yeah, I was thankful that I took the SATs before they stupidly changed the format. As much as I love writing (I am a Fanfic mod, after all), it's insane that they made such a crucial test so heavily dependent on a judge's... well, judgment. Since they essentially never give perfect scores (mostly because there's no such thing as a perfect literary piece... and because haughty idiots don't like giving anyone a perfect score), that makes getting a perfect 2400 basically impossible.

Yay.

Chris
19th August 2006, 04:01 PM
This thread has been hijacked by Americans :mad:

I got A for Computing, B for General Studies and C for History so I'm into the University of Birmingham to read Computer Science :)

Samchu
19th August 2006, 04:09 PM
Well I just got the grades for my AS Levels so I'm halfway there. Got an AA in Business Studies (it was a double award) and a C in Theatre, was like 5/6 marks off a B which sucks but ah well. Obviously continuing them next year and hoping to pick up an AS in English Literature on the way to try and get myself into a creative writing course at Middlesex University.

Kris
19th August 2006, 04:27 PM
I didnt do A levels but Ive just finished a BTEC National Diploma which consists of 18 parts. I got 8 distinctions, 6 merits and 4 passes. (Think of a distinction as an A, Merit as a B and Pass as a C)

This means Ive got into University of Plymouth studying at the Plymouth College of Art and Design and Ill be studying Graphic Design and production.

Cheesey
21st August 2006, 02:44 PM
[color=silver]Bloody ell, we get five years for GCSEs, one year for AS levels, and one year for A levels. We do two years in total at college, first year is AS and second is A.

It sounds like your system ain't so much different from ours, Cheesey. ^_^

You have 6 years of primary school though, don't you? We have 7 of primary, then two years at high school where we do loads of subjects, and we choose 8 to do at Standard Grade, which are our equivalent of GCSEs... we get two years for those... And then in fifth year, you can do up to 5 Highers (obviously not everybody does, because not everybody gets the grades, but you know), which is what I just did. And then the (optional) last year of school, where we do our Advanced Highers. That's the basic system, but there are always exceptions. I hope it made sense. Even though you didn't technically ask me anything :P

The_Missing_Link
21st August 2006, 05:53 PM
Crazy Brits and Scots. I can never tell what part of schooling you're talking about

I got 1100 on my SATs (year before the change) but I was ok with that since I was never brilliant with math and english. Got into the college I wanted and now I'm entering my second year there with a major in Computer and Digital Forensics. Yay me :dance:

Magmar
22nd August 2006, 05:45 AM
Can you only pick like 2-3 A-levels? That would suck for me; I like to take everything. But I couldnt' take *EVERY* A-level... lol... but I'd definitely study a foreign language, astronomy, mathematics and English language + literature. I have no idea how the system works; Wikipedia was no help ^_^;

Weasel Overlord
22nd August 2006, 03:08 PM
[color=silver]Yeah, in the first year of college we do four AS levels, then second year you drop one and go on to do the other three as A Levels.

We have five years at High School, before we go to college. That's preceeded by, I believe, 6 years at Primary school. Yes, I did it, doesn't mean I can remember it ><

You leave Primary in Year 6, enter High in Year 7, and finish High in Year 11. Then it's two years at college, and afterwards, University courses are generally 3 years long. If you go to Uni, that is. In Year 10 (at high school) you're expected to choose your 'options' as they call them. Around ten subjects at GCSE which you do for your last two years at school. For example, I took;

Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Religious Education, English, Maths, Spanish, French, IT (short course, meaning you only get half a GCSE), Statistics, and, erm, something else... what was it? Um... I have no idea. But I ended up with 12 GCSE's altogether, cos I did Full Course French and Spanish, Full Course R.E., and Seperate Science. Most people do all three sciences as a Double Award, getting two GCSE's at the end, but I did Seperate, so I got three instead. o.o

Just don't ask about our crazy systems. They seem to work though. ^^

Oo, good grades, Samchu! And Kris! Nicely done! ^^

You actually get to study Astronomy? Oh, I am jealous!! Damn you Americans! *shakes fist violently*

Magmar
22nd August 2006, 08:01 PM
I don't know if every high school offered it, but mine did (complete with nighttime labs and all). I took astronomy, had a 100% average for the course for the entire year, including exams :) wish I could say the same for my abysmal oceanography marks -_- but I'll be taking meteorology this year :D

Kris
24th August 2006, 05:37 PM
I think how many A levels you take depends on the school. At my school you had to take 5 AS levels (one of them was general studies) and you were allowed to drop general studies in the 2nd year but had to keep the others.

But I know of people who took alot less

Dark Scizor
30th August 2006, 11:50 AM
A bit late.

But I got an A in Biology, a B in Chemistry and a C in English Language.

I didn't meet the requirements of my offer, so I'm resitting a few modules over the next year and reapplying for 2007 entry at: BSMS, PMS, UCL and Oxford for Medicine. :)

Hyperness is a Good Thing
31st August 2006, 09:24 AM
*hops up and down*
Hehe, actually I haven't even taken my AS yet *whistles* but this does concern the course I'm taking
I don't live in England, buuuut I live in one of the countries where we do take A-levels (we sort of get to choose what we want to take and the local equivalent of Alevels is haaaaaaaard).
Currently taking Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Thinking Skills for AS in October! ^_^
Doing the Cambridge board one, starting to regret, should have taken edexcel, then I'll be able to do it modularly. *sighs*
oh and a-levels here is kinda accelerated - we only study for 1 & a half years... but we also start schooling later in life so it evens out.
and we take the five I listed during the first year and drop thinking skills to take the other four. woot.