PDA

View Full Version : Back to school

Jeff
30th August 2006, 06:08 PM
Anyone have any back to school experiences they'd like to share? Well, I do...

Today was my first day back at school (I go to a 4-year university, and drive there, by the way), and it was, well, an experience.

The first thing was the parking, which seems to get worse every year. Knowing my school, I should have known I had it coming when I got there at 8:10 instead of 8:00. At least I was able to get a parking space. Then came lunch. The Commons, which is the building where everyone goes to eat and hang out, was packed. What's worse is some genius decided over the summer to take out all the tables on one side of the building and replace them with a single bench along the wall, so there was hardly anywhere to sit, I did get a place to sit and eat lunch, but there was nowhere to plug my laptop in, so when I was done I searched the building for about 15 minutes for a new place to sit down. On my way back home, someone was right up on my bumper, coming out of the campus and for at least a mile on the highway, and as I think I mention back in the "things that piss you off" thread, tailgating is one of my worst pet peeves. At least my classes went well.

nightcrow
30th August 2006, 07:55 PM
my first day at school was okay... parking is absolutely horrendous (it took me over half an hour to find a parking spot!!!!!), but that's to be expected at a 40,000+ student uni.. also, it was a really hot day and i was starting to get dehydrated from walking around trying to find my classes (i'm stupid for wearing so much black) and i walked the 10-15 minute walk back to my car to get some change to buy water, only to realise i had lost my keys ._. so i had to walk all the way back to the middle of campus, and then back to my car.. i felt like i was never going to make it. i got a sunburn too! :(

wow this feels like a livejournal entry! but yeah.. it's a bit better now, i learned how to bring a book for my 2-3 hour breaks in between classes.

Drusilla
30th August 2006, 08:36 PM
I had my first day last Wednesday, and was quite possibly the best school day of my life. Classes met for 10-30 minutes, and with my schedule I was left with quite a bit of time to just hang out and get to know people. I live on campus, since home is over a thousand miles away, so parking is not an issue. ^_^

The frat party I went to on Friday... heh heh heh... Let's just say that when I got back to my dorm room (at 11:30 the next morning), my roommate took one look at me (disheveled hair, highly suspicious "bruises", sweaty clothes) and said, "Should I ask or do I want to know?"

Great times... I'm loving this place. It's about the same size as my high school, maybe only a few hundred more, so it's really feeling like home.

frylock
30th August 2006, 08:42 PM
My first day of school was okay, despite my schedule being screwed up and the stupidity of the people I encountered on my quest to fix it was actually hilarious.

Chikoo
30th August 2006, 09:48 PM
Mine's on Tuesday. I'm not that excited. I need to take my second semester of Biology over, and same with the first semester of Intermediate Algebra. What a joke I am. And plus, four of the people I hung out with moved away... So much for making new friends in your senior year >_>

Scarlet Spider
30th August 2006, 11:23 PM
i start next wednesday.

i'm mediocrely excited. i didnt do any homework for my ap/honors classes, but whatevsss.

its senior year, and i guess itll be a fun time but my gpa is so low i gotta work crazyyy hard this year haha.

Katie
1st September 2006, 07:55 PM
my first day of classes was monday, they were alright. pretty much the same as highschool except for the number of people in each class. good god there are a lot of people here for such a tiny middle of nowhere town. I'm digging the dorm life though, my window overlooks the quad, aka where the corps of cadets do all of their marching and forming up and exercise and stuff. after 4 years of jrotc it feels good to look down on that and laugh, not having to be a part of that shit anymore.
my school is super big on tradition, I've been having fun with that. "howdy" is the official greeting, I've been shooting that off pretty much at everyone on campus. the biggest tradition though is football, and our first game is tomorrow. I am excited. even though my roomie decided she wasn't going to go after we pulled tickets to sit (err stand, aggies stand at all games yay!) next to each other. I'll need to be finding a group to go with then I guess....
tonight I visited a bar (-ish thing) that apparently sells more alcohol per square foot than any other bar in the country, and is 2nd in the world only to some pub in ireland. haha yaaay drunk people are fun.
oh and I don't have to worry about parking, I didn't bring my car :) insurance, gas, parking permits, wrecks... don't have to worry about any of it ^_^

edit: we won!!!!!!!! 35-3 take that "citadel"
VVV hey I have a friend going to a&m galveston, woot

Drusilla
2nd September 2006, 02:37 PM
AAAAAAAAHHHH AGGIE!!! :O

Hey, keep an eye out for my friends from Galveston... I have quite a few at A&M.

Kris
2nd September 2006, 05:21 PM
I dont go back till the beginning of October, which is pretty nice. Im starting university this year, so Im a bit nervous about it. Only advantage is Im going to the same college as Ive been at for the last two years, so I know all of my lecturers already. Plus one of the guys from my old course is on my course, so I will have a friendly face when I start.

At least you lot can get parking, my college is in the city centre and the only parking is city car parks. £8 all day. No way I can afford it. Plus the buses are never on time so I will have to park a 15 minute walk away where it is free and walk in. Sometimes meaning I get very cold and wet :(

Link
3rd September 2006, 04:30 PM
My sister is going back to school but I have been out of school (college at least) for some time now and it sucks having to be bored 24/7.

nightcrow
3rd September 2006, 04:47 PM
At least you lot can get parking, my college is in the city centre and the only parking is city car parks. £8 all day. No way I can afford it. Plus the buses are never on time so I will have to park a 15 minute walk away where it is free and walk in. Sometimes meaning I get very cold and wet :(

I paid $130 for my parking permit, only to have to park out in the stadium parking lot and walk a good 10 minutes to class :/ it's no fun if it's storming (happened to me on friday, ugh i got DRENCHED)

Jeff
3rd September 2006, 08:58 PM
You had to pay for your parking permit? Maybe that's why my school has such a bad parking problem. At least the lunch crowd has died down over the past few days, I guess most of the people decided to eat off campus due to the crowds.

nightcrow
4th September 2006, 06:42 PM
You had to pay for your parking permit? Maybe that's why my school has such a bad parking problem. At least the lunch crowd has died down over the past few days, I guess most of the people decided to eat off campus due to the crowds.

Yeah, we pay out the butt for parking. Lol. But we do have 2 parking garages, and (I believe) 2 in the works. At the very least they're presumably putting the money to work rather into the president's pocket lol.

mr_pikachu
4th September 2006, 10:00 PM

No, that's not it. We also pay crazy amounts for permits (it'll be $100 next year), and we've got obscenely poor parking. There are literally fewer parking spaces than students. Even at the residence halls, there are far fewer spaces in each lot than there are students in the corresponding dorms, so there's always someone parked across the campus (or parked illegally in one of the closer, staff-only lots). It's really pathetic.

Drusilla
4th September 2006, 10:48 PM
Damn, we thought we had it bad... it's $50 for parking here, and you get a discount if you have a UE licence plate.

Though I did just pay $60 for a bike locker that it turns out I can't use because my bike's too big... ugh...

Crazy Elf Boy
5th September 2006, 12:01 AM
Well I am almost finish school (hehe)

But its exam week and I have a crazy amount of study to do

Katie
5th September 2006, 08:33 PM
Yeah, we pay out the butt for parking. Lol. But we do have 2 parking garages, and (I believe) 2 in the works. At the very least they're presumably putting the money to work rather into the president's pocket lol.

I win (http://transport.tamu.edu/parking/FAQpermit/FAQpermitinfo.aspx#rates) 8(
but then again I didn't buy one, so I guess.. you win?
either way, aggies get screwed parking-wise, because of the permit price, and also because it'll be complete luck to get in a garage/lot near your dorm. if you don't, you wasted your money because it takes the same amount of walking to get to your car as where you were going in the first place. :p biggest campus in texas, and (so I've heard) 3 UT campuses would fit on our main campus alone :( I should invest in a bike maybe?

Saffire Persian
5th September 2006, 08:37 PM
Well, I start with my first year on college tomorrow. It looks to be pretty good, and I'm glad we get free parking compared to the obscene amounts you guys are paying. 13 credits this term... taking it niiiice and slow.

Magmar
5th September 2006, 08:56 PM
i started today, had a blast and met a very cute boy... uhoh, i have a boyfriend... who i havent' seen in over a week, does that make looking a bad thing? i've seen him once in like two weeks so idk

nightcrow
5th September 2006, 09:53 PM
i started today, had a blast and met a very cute boy... uhoh, i have a boyfriend... who i havent' seen in over a week, does that make looking a bad thing? i've seen him once in like two weeks so idk

long distance relationships suck under any circumstance. :P looking isn't bad, but i wouldnt ever be with someone i see only every 2 weeks anyway (again).

Crystal Mew
6th September 2006, 12:34 AM
I started school last tuesday (after taking a year off) and it felt quite nice to get back into school again :) I'm going to a smaller school, so parking isn't an issue...especially since I'm there by 8am. well, its also free parking haha.

I'm only taking 7 credit hours right now (more next semester) so its not bad at all. college is so much better than highschool!

Drusilla
6th September 2006, 12:51 AM
Damn... I'm taking 16 credit hours... that's the recommended minimum here...

Magmar
6th September 2006, 06:52 AM
long distance relationships suck under any circumstance. :P looking isn't bad, but i wouldnt ever be with someone i see only every 2 weeks anyway (again).

it's not long distance. he just works a lot.. or so he claims.

Im taking 18 credits! @_@;;

mr_pikachu
6th September 2006, 08:26 PM
Damn... I'm taking 16 credit hours... that's the recommended minimum here...

16 hours is the mininum? Dang... here, the average is 15, with 12 being the minimum and any higher than 16 bordering on crazy.

Saffire Persian
7th September 2006, 01:54 AM
0_o that's one tough school there.

Anyway, I'm taking 13 this semester, 15 next.

Just got done with my first day, and with our campus being so huge, I got quite a workout - especially after hefting my backpack with everything in.

mr_pikachu
7th September 2006, 02:10 AM
Hang on a second. I know a lot of schools calculate hours differently than others. How many classes do you have, and for how much time a week do you meet?

The typical calculation is 1 hour in a week = 1 credit hour, but many schools don't abide by that standard. That might explain the seemingly odd policy.

Perfect Chaos
7th September 2006, 03:29 PM
I think most schools have it that you need at least 12 credit hours to be considered a full-time student, but that would be me.

Yeah, I began freshman year at college (I go to UF) and classes are going OK so far, still miss highschool cause it was so easy to BS all the teacher's assignments and whatnot. Not so over here.

Its kindof ironic really. I'm going to the school that I was REALLY hoping that I wouldn't have to go to or would've rejected me. Accordingly, my friends call me the unofficial "Gator-Hater" and I in turn always tell them "I'd rather be Gator-bait than be a stupid dumbass Gator-fan"

-Sean

nightcrow
9th September 2006, 10:57 AM
it's not long distance. he just works a lot.. or so he claims.

Im taking 18 credits! @_@;;

it might as well be long distance if you guys don't see eachother much :P

i'm taking 15 credits right now, and I kinda wish i was taking the max (18) which is basically just one more class than i'm taking now. I'm doing a double major so I'll probably be taking the max from here on out :/

.hacker
9th September 2006, 08:31 PM
I used to take 15-16 CH a semester. But with taking summer courses over the past 3 years, I only have to take 12 CH per semester as a senior! I'm happy! :D

Moltrecuno
14th September 2006, 11:09 AM
I go to a year round college and have a 4-7 day break between the five terms I attend in the year (except for winter break). So I've had a first day of school experience every 9 weeks or so. -_-;

The latest one however, wasn't too bad. My term started in August and I got to meet some nice people and I got a new roomate. ^^ At least it was someone who had something in common with me. ^^

Now I'm just hoping to survive till the end of the term in early October. I hate having two core classes(classes pertaining to my major) because I'm in school for 8 hours 3 days a week. Well maybe more than that since I have a work study job at the college too.......... >.<

Cheesey
16th September 2006, 09:41 AM
I'm in my last year of high school, doing Advanced Higher Biology, English and Music. It's going ok, and I've passed everything so far, but it's still a lot of work. I think I've balanced my workload with other stuff though, so it's not that overwhelming, I'm happy with it as it goes!