PDA

View Full Version : The Croc Hunter is dead

The_Missing_Link
4th September 2006, 12:00 AM
I just checked CNN.com and under the red breaking news heading, it said he was killed in a marine accident. Steve Irwin is his real name but most know him as the Croc Hunter. I for one am saddened by this. You think that these risk takers will somehow survive even though what they do is incredibly dangerous but when one falls prey to what they love, a big dose of reality hits you and reminds you that anyone can get hurt or killed, despite experience. What's even worse is that he's leaving behind his wife and children

If you don't know who he is, Google. I hate it when people post just to ask who the person is

Edit: Apparently, he was killed by a stingray barb to the chest while filming a documentary

Hyperness is a Good Thing
4th September 2006, 12:17 AM
ouch, so he's dead? That's sad....
I mean I didn't really like him or his shows, but still... >.>
on the other hand, he died doing what he(said he) loved, and I'm sure he must have known the risks of his job. Sad though.

Andrew
4th September 2006, 12:43 AM
I always thought he was a tosser, but I feel sorry for his wife (She married him after she visited the park when it was still dingy and smacked her head good and proper) and the kids he leaves behind.

And yes, he got Stingrayed to the chest... if it had been a croc... irony.... but in the water you don't have as much manuverability as a stingray.

Mewfour
4th September 2006, 01:01 AM
... Crikey.

:(

darktyranitar
4th September 2006, 01:13 AM
Hm, you know, I've heard some hoax last year that he died- and apparently, he didn't.

Until now.

Ah well... :( I'm gonna miss him...

Tyler and Hobbes
4th September 2006, 01:19 AM
It's wierd... most of us (not us, but... us - i.e. people in general..) just considered Irwin to be a crazy, crock-hunting jackass, but we all held a little affection for him, even if it was for his insanity... he was a cool guy, like... I dunno... that pot head friend that all of us had growing up... a little strange, maybe a little dangerous... but still, a nice guy.

We'll miss you, Steve, you crock hunting bastard.

Hunt on, Steve... hunt on...

Pokemasterkatie
4th September 2006, 01:21 AM
Crap, I just posted the news on the Entertainment section.>_< Should I delete it?

Razola
4th September 2006, 02:45 AM
he died doing what he(said he) lovedHe loved getting stabbed in the chest by stingrays?

Dark Scizor
4th September 2006, 03:07 AM
He loved getting stabbed in the chest by stingrays?

That's what I thought when I first heard them say that on TV.

He's also become quite the meme.

Saffire Persian
4th September 2006, 03:12 AM
The sad thing is, they probably got it all on tape. (They said they were filming a documentary after all). For his wife, she'll probably see it, and I don't know whether that'd be a comfort or a horror really to see (listen) to your husband die by a stingray.. if that's a case anyway. I can't say for sure, just speculation.

So sad... and his kids are so young (8 and 3)...

Hyperness is a Good Thing
4th September 2006, 03:29 AM
well he loved working with animals XP
crocs especially

mr_pikachu
4th September 2006, 04:25 AM
Dang, that's a shame. The guy may have been reckless, but I think some of that made him lovable to all of us. And the accent was just great for us non-Aussies. Made him seem like a really cool guy.

Suddenly I feel badly about all the "Crikey, me ahm!" lines I used to used in impersonations.

I would say that he should rest in peace, but I doubt resting would be what he'd want. So here's to stirring up more chaos, Mr. Irwin.

Magmar
4th September 2006, 08:01 AM
I think part of us all really loved him and part of us all really wanted him to be around in circles by some sort of scary animal and hear someone yell "CUT" or something like that. Too bad though. He had good intentions and didn't seem to hurt animals he worked with.

Blademaster
4th September 2006, 08:06 AM
Steve Irwin... I seen him in parodies for years... I impersonated him at school last year in a group project in writing class (Don't ask why.)... We got an A for it...

(sniff)

He's grappling with crocs in Heaven now...

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/Soul_of_the_Phoenix/Steve.jpg

So long, Steve... :'(

classy_cat18
4th September 2006, 12:02 PM
It's kind of shocking to hear that he died that way. I would've expected him losing to a croc or a shark. But a stingray? Come on, that's kind of ironic. The news channel said that deaths by stingray are very rare...about 17 reported deaths worldwide. Steve Irwin, you could've done better.

Croc Hunter, you made Animal Planet cool. You and World's Most Extreme.

Number1ChanseyFan
4th September 2006, 12:05 PM
[color=magenta]Meh, I was really shocked to hear this, my mom was listening to Art Bell/Coast to Coast on the Radio early this morning and I heard Art Bell talking about the Croc Hunter. It is always surprising when a healthy, younger person dies so suddenly. When I first heard it I was thinking "did I hear that right?!" He really was pretty funny, he seemed like a cool guy that did a lot of good things, and it does seem strange to think that he is just gone now. It's hard to believe that he was killed by a stingray though, I mean, I heard that he is like only the 20th person in the world to be killed by one. This is pretty sad for his wife and children too, I feel bad for them.

Inferno_Dragon
4th September 2006, 12:10 PM
Well, I did sort of like him. He was an enthuastic fellow but you have to admit that he did take awfully dangerous risks sometimes. My mom and I were watching on the episodes where his family was on a raft and my mother pointed out that raft wasn't actually safe. Yes, I do think it is ironic that he got killed by something other than a croc or a gator but I do feel sad for his family. I send my sorrows to them and hopeful they will be able to move on after this.

Little_Pikachu
4th September 2006, 12:23 PM
He always knew what he was doing around animals, he knew all the risks, he just always pushed them to the limit, so what happened must have been some totally random fluke of nature, apparently stingrays aren't violent creatures, they always have such smiliey faces, this must have been a particularly angry one.

Anyway, Steve will be missed, he is a legend and brought much entertainment and education to the world. I can imagine his dying words: "Crikey! Have a go at this! I got stabbed in the chest, sorry for disturbing ya, little fella!". He was one of a small number of cool Austrailians. I think it's what he would've wanted, to be killed by an animal rather than die a boring death through old age or some disease. It's a shame it had to happen when he was still young with a young family, I wonder if his kids will carry on the Irwin legend in 20 years.

Asilynne
4th September 2006, 12:39 PM
Ohhhh I love Steve Irwin! Even though I figured this would happen one day, now that it did its like I cant believe it. He was so cool and I always loved how excited he got over everything he did, he made me want to find a line of work that I would feel so excited about. He seemed like he loved life nd Ill bet his only regret that hed have dying so young is that he wouldnt get to see his kids grow up, since he took chances and never let fear hold him back he probably accomplished a lot of what he wanted out of life ;.;
I agree with Suziecide about this part: "I think it's what he would've wanted, to be killed by an animal rather than die a boring death through old age or some disease. " He has a warrior mind as corny as that may sound and his body failing him wouldve killed him inside faster than anything else. And despite losing him so early I bet his wife will tell her children stories of their dad and always say how brave he was and how he threw himself into everything he did, and how happy everything in life, even the simplest things, made him. So I wouldnt be suprised to see the Irwin legend live on through his kids!

EngiMatikul
4th September 2006, 01:44 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/04/australia.irwin/index.html

Yea... it sucks...

Jeff
4th September 2006, 03:49 PM
The really sad thing about this is if the tape of the documentary gets onto the Internet, "Steve Irwin's Death Tape" will be found right along side "Paris Hilton's Sex Tape".

He will be missed though, I always figured he might go like this, never thought it would actually happen.

Scarlet Spider
4th September 2006, 04:33 PM
i dedicate my 2006-2007 senior year
to steve irwin
croikey...this one's for you, mate

Dark Dragonite
4th September 2006, 05:06 PM
Basically, he came up on top of one too fast...it used it's poison barb tail, and stabbed up and in his chest, put a hole right in his heart...I say we all kill some stingrays to vent our grief...

RedStarWarrior
4th September 2006, 06:18 PM
May he wrestle crocodiles before God for all eternity. RIP

Crazy Elf Boy
4th September 2006, 09:23 PM
*crys*

I have meet the man before

Have you ever meet the man or even been to his zoo

Have you......

*cries some more*

I am soo sad.....

Dark Dragonite
5th September 2006, 12:36 AM
It's been said before, just like my hero, Dale Earnhardt Sr., they knew how dangerous their professions were, they had close calls, didn't listen, and they both died on the job, Irwin to a Stingray, Earnhardt to a crash at nearly 200mph...

Drusilla
5th September 2006, 12:43 AM
Damn... I'm still struggling to come to the realization that this isn't just another hoax like the past two or three. I remember watching him on Animal Planet before he made it big...

He really made a difference in how our generation looks at some things, though. He saw beauty in life, no matter what form it took, and never stepped down from a challenge. I can only hope that I'm able to make even the slightest percentage of the impact he did.

And, yeah, it's all on tape. The coroners are going to have a look at it before the last stage of finalising the cause of death. They're not sure if it was loss of blood, heart attack from shock, or from the venom. Not only do I feel for his family and friends, but can you imagine what his cameraman felt? The guy was just a few feet in front of Steve in the water... That's not something I would want to go through, seeing a colleague die within your reach...

Hope you find peace out there, Stevo. You changed my childhood like none other...

Vejodi
5th September 2006, 03:01 AM
i was so shocked when i heard about it at school yesterday. i still really haven't come to realisation. it's pretty crazy.

rip.

Kris
5th September 2006, 09:17 AM
The barb hit him straight in the heart meaning he would have died very quickly. The venom would have done its job in seconds. Its highly unlikely he felt any pain. Which in some ways is a nice thought that he didnt suffer.

They have it all on tape, and Steve Irwin as always said that if he died on tape by animal then he wants it shown to the world. Its his way of showing these animals can be dangerous and are not to be messed around with! So lets see if they do show it now...

Dark Dragonite
5th September 2006, 09:23 AM
Actually, I've been researching it...the poison in the barb is not enough to kill a human...Was it instantaneous, from reports given by witnesses, no, he was stabbed, pulled it out, then he went.

Alucard
5th September 2006, 10:33 AM
Actually there's several different reports. Some say the barb came off in his chest and he pulled it out resulting in his death, other's say it whipped him and put a hole in his heart. One thing's for sure, he didn't die instantly...

I will indeed miss him, he was such an awesome person. I was planning on going to Australia to meet him this year... kinda sucks that i'll never get to meet him..

On a none related note, I've always thought of Andrew being a tossers name ;/

frylock
5th September 2006, 12:50 PM
He was my hero....

-/Deathborn/-
5th September 2006, 04:16 PM
Actually, I've been researching it...the poison in the barb is not enough to kill a human...Was it instantaneous, from reports given by witnesses, no, he was stabbed, pulled it out, then he went.

It could've been a more dangerous stingray venom, or maybe by some freakish chance he had an instantaneous allergic reaction to it, and when it stabbed his heart, he was gone in a minute.

People always knew he may go out like this, but at least he wasn't mutilated by a croc or something, this way it was sudden and probably didn't cause much pain. :(
Why did you have to go, Steve?

mr_pikachu
5th September 2006, 04:27 PM
You know, I have a hard time believing that he didn't die instantly from the stab wound, if it was indeed right in his heart. You can survive for awhile without air, but that's because your heart is still pumping minimally oxygenated blood. But when your heart stops beating, your body has no way of getting the essential energy at all. That's why stab wounds are immediately fatal.

Unless his heart was still working partially for a few moments... then I suppose that he could live for however long that it could keep pumping some blood. But once it stopped... well...

firepokemon
5th September 2006, 04:48 PM
My god. It was bad enough people supposedly mourning on the news where we just had to get all the reaction in Australia, where as per usual they're all mourning him. And now I come here and its the same.

So he was famous somewhat and he died. I didn't know him and I don't really care. Perhaps its sad and all but does every death like this have to be overhyped. Its just pathetic.

Katie
5th September 2006, 08:20 PM
^^^ it isn't overhyped, he's known around the world by people of all ages and he died. if no news covered it, his show would never have new episodes, and people would wonder why. this death affects many people, even if indirectly. if joe schmoe dies of old age, and it got this attention, yeah it'd be overhyped because only a handfull of people knew joe. famous dude + very rare kind of death = news!!

personally I was shocked by the news, he was such an energetic and fun loving guy! even if it was targeted at younger audiences, I liked learning lil tidbits about the animals and watching him interact with them. what I thought was cool is how he handled snakes, gently holding them by the body instead of firmly by the head. holding them by the head pisses them off, and he actually gave a damn about the thing's feelings as opposed to an "as long as I don't kill it we're good" approach.... I don't know, I'm rambling. but it's still so so sad :(

google news led me to this article (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21811,20361204-662,00.html) which had me loling

Daniel, 11, asked: "Why did it have to be Steve Irwin? Why couldn't it be someone older like Sean Connery?"
is it bad that I agree?

Andrew
5th September 2006, 11:46 PM
On a none related note, I've always thought of Andrew being a tossers name ;/

Excuse me?

Crystal Mew
6th September 2006, 12:23 AM

Thats how I heard it too....he probably didn't know it stabbed him in the heart, and he probably just pulled it out cause thats the first thing you think of. tehy say if you get stabbed in the chest, with like scissors or a pencil, to leave it in, cause if you pull it out, you'll bleed to death.

this was very sad/shocking news to me :( I'm still pretty sad about it...and its so sad that he left behind his wife and kids. I used to watch his show all the time, man he was awesome.

What special animal person do we have now?? JEFF CORWIN!?

God, why? :(!!!

r.i.p steve...I'll miss you!

Alucard
6th September 2006, 01:51 AM
John Stainton, Irwin's manager who was among the crew on the reef and later also watched the videotape of the attack, described the "terrible" experience of watching a friend die.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone"

It wasn't instant if he pulled it out..

SilverPersian
6th September 2006, 08:51 PM
Tchh I hate Steve Irwin...it's not like he ever did anything a normal Aussie doesnt do on a daily basis

Saffire Persian
7th September 2006, 01:41 AM
Tchh I hate Steve Irwin...it's not like he ever did anything a normal Aussie doesnt do on a daily basis

XD.. So.. Australians go and wrestle crocodiles on a daily basis, do they? XDXd

Crazy Elf Boy
7th September 2006, 03:48 AM
XD.. So.. Australians go and wrestle crocodiles on a daily basis, do they? XDXd

Well it is usually hard to get out of your front door with out tripping over one

BTW what do you americans think of us Australians

Magmar
7th September 2006, 06:48 AM
I'll be honest, I was a little saddened by it, but once we got together in groups for meetings for the first time, it was all we talked about--and, sadly, joked about. "It was a conspiracy... Bush thought Steve Irwin had weapons of mass destruction, but actually, it was a stingray." I think that was the funnier one. Oh, and supposedly it was a "bullray", but those are not indigenous to Australia at all, so it's an assassin... on a mission... dun dun!

I plan on naming my first son Andrew, by the way, to whoever said it was a tosser's name. Andrew Gabriel. I think it's a fine name.

Well I wasn't really too bothered by the fact he died, but I work at an after-school program, and it was all the kids talked about because it was their first day back to the program. One of the kids, who is about 8, her mother is a marine biologist or something like that, and she's been religiously watching the program since she was very young, like she talked about it constantly... and even she was like, "He should've known better, why did it have to be a stingray," etcetera.

But what's important, and I especially observed from that child, is they all seem to respect the deadly capabilities of the stingray, which is, towards humans, generally a timid animal and usually runs away unless stepped on or literally grabbed.

If the kid who looked at Steve Irwin on the tv every day knows that nature should be respected via the death, it's somewhat comforting to think that maybe Steve Irwin's own 8 year old child is feeling similarly toward the stingray.

Oh and firepokemon, say something positive for once, you just can't convince me that you're seriously always that cynical of a person :P

Blademaster
7th September 2006, 06:53 AM
I don't think 'cynical' is exactly the right word... :sweat:

BTW, what exactly is a 'tosser?'

Sceptile_Master
7th September 2006, 09:55 AM
I was dissapointed. I thought he was a cool guy... one of those people you kind of start thinking are invincible. But I suppose he's only human and an accident was abount to happen. He was a great educator for the young growing up as he was giving good facts while also being quite actiony for entertainment. The world would benefit from more people like steve. Congratulations for what you've given the world man and rest in peace.

Well it is usually hard to get out of your front door with out tripping over one

BTW what do you americans think of us Australians

Well I think of the australlians no different from anyone else. Your just the same as me and all my fellow Great Britainers just born somewhere else. Everyone deserves the same respect.

SilverPersian
7th September 2006, 08:06 PM
Well I think of the australlians no different from anyone else. Your just the same as me and all my fellow Great Britainers just born somewhere else. Everyone deserves the same respect.

But we deserve MORE respect than other countries - how many snakes/alligators/spiders have YOU wrestled today???

mr_pikachu
8th September 2006, 05:04 PM
Um... do you "wrestle" spiders? I mean, I kill quite a few every day, just because I live in a large dormitory with less-than-sanitary college guys. So in that category, probably more than you.

*shrugs*

Asilynne
8th September 2006, 05:16 PM
Thats how I heard it too....he probably didn't know it stabbed him in the heart, and he probably just pulled it out cause thats the first thing you think of. tehy say if you get stabbed in the chest, with like scissors or a pencil, to leave it in, cause if you pull it out, you'll bleed to death.

this was very sad/shocking news to me :( I'm still pretty sad about it...and its so sad that he left behind his wife and kids. I used to watch his show all the time, man he was awesome.

What special animal person do we have now?? JEFF CORWIN!?

God, why? :(!!!

r.i.p steve...I'll miss you!

Seriously Sam, before this happened whenever me and my sister saw Jeff Corwin we always laughed at him and said "Hes trying to be the crocodile hunter" but he can never be the croc hunter.
And you guys can make fun of me if you want but its still bothering me that this happened and I dont even know why. Its not cause he was famous, I couldnt care less about most famous people. Its probably cause of what kind of person he is. Hes the kind of person that doesnt try to be anything but himself, and you cant help but smile when you see his child-like excitement over things most of us probably would never even notice. I understand what some of these aussies are saying about him being a symbol but its not like he tried to be. (And I bet you guys hate crocodile dundee more right?)
I dont know, I have a hard time coming to terms with death as it is, part of me still doesnt even believe this happened. And to me its like someone already said, he seemed like he was invincible, I mean the first time I saw him he was riding a dirtbike through the desert for the only purpose of jumping off and catching a wild pig. And then when he caught it he talked to it gently and was all excited about being able to teach people about it.
And one time he climbed up a tree to catch this lizard and when it bit him he didnt get mad or start cussing he just laughed, and said "My dad always said that when they bit you, you know you caught them" which me and my sister thought was just awesome for him to say and have that attitude. I dont know Im sorry Im just rambling I just really liked and admired him a lot x.x

Blademaster
8th September 2006, 05:26 PM
But we deserve MORE respect than other countries - how many snakes/alligators/spiders have YOU wrestled today???

The same number as you: zero.

And you guys can make fun of me if you want but its still bothering me that this happened and I dont even know why. Its not cause he was famous, I couldnt care less about most famous people. Its probably cause of what kind of person he is. Hes the kind of person that doesnt try to be anything but himself, and you cant help but smile when you see his child-like excitement over things most of us probably would never even notice.

You hit the nail on the head, Sil - Steve Irwin was a big kid who loved animals. Was he annoying at times? Yes, but that was just who he was. He's recognized all around the world (I mean, who DOESN'T know his voice, or recognize the expletive 'Croikey!'?), but not because he was rich or a big-time celebrity - he was just a big-hearted, small-brained guy who tried to teach people about the world around us.

That's why we loved him and that's why we'll miss him...

Crystal Mew
9th September 2006, 02:01 AM

wrestling crocs wasn't the only thing he did you know. besides catching animals, he also taught people about them... made us aware that even though crocodiles look scary, they arent really that bad. he saved animal's lives, started a zoo... I mean come on. not all of you aussies do that everyday.

at least have the respect for him as a person. He was a nice guy, and didn't deserve to die like that.

XD375
23rd September 2006, 06:33 PM
The sad thing is, they probably got it all on tape. (They said they were filming a documentary after all). For his wife, she'll probably see it, and I don't know whether that'd be a comfort or a horror really to see (listen) to your husband die by a stingray.. if that's a case anyway. I can't say for sure, just speculation.

So sad... and his kids are so young (8 and 3)...
It is also in his contract that if he dies, they need to show people. He doesn't want people making the same mistake as him, so if it is what he wanted, I would watch it in his respect.

But it's up to Terri now.