PDA

View Full Version : Ninth Season - Pokemon: Battle Frontier

mr_pikachu
8th September 2006, 10:29 PM
Well, as Pokemon leaves the WB, Cartoon Network is taking over the series at the start of Pokemon: Battle Frontier, the ninth season of Pokemon. Those of you who have been paying attention know that the old voice actors are long gone, replaced by the new dubbers that were heard in Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon.

So, what do you think of the new season on CN? Obviously the voices are different, and some of the music has changed, as well. Will you be watching Pokemon in its new locale, or do your loyalties lie with WB?

Mr.Pokemon
8th September 2006, 10:34 PM
What was the the thing with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon right before the new show? Is this a new spin-off as well? I've been out of the loop on all things Pokemon for months now :eek:

mr_pikachu
8th September 2006, 10:39 PM
I'm not certain. Everything I've read says it was a special episode, but not necessarily the beginning of a series. However, it seemed to leave a few cliffhangers, so I'm looking into it further.

The_Missing_Link
9th September 2006, 12:32 AM
Well, at least the voices were better than the Mewtwo Special. Max was pretty spot on, May and Brock were ok although May still sounds too old and Ash still needs work. As for TR, James's voice just sucks. It's so low that I could barely hear what he was saying. Pikachu and some of the other Pokemon sound the same so I'm assuming they're reusing old voice footage

As for Dungeon, it was nothing special. Hated Squirtle and Charmander's voices - thought Charmander would sound different. Gengar's voice was unexpected and definitely used in the Pokemon series before. I honestly liked Pikachu and Bellsprout's voices the best but they're not recurring characters so that's a shame. And "Meanies" is a ridiculous team name. I don't care if I'm watching a Pokemon spinoff series, it's a crappy name

mr_pikachu
9th September 2006, 12:43 AM
Battle Frontier: Yeah, Ash still sounds way too much like Richie. I expect that James' VA was probably trying to do the flamoyant voice, but it just didn't work well. I'll reiterate what I said in the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon thread... the new VAs need to just make the characters their own and not try to copy the previous actors. I believe a lot of the Pokemon voices come directly from Japan, so that'd explain why they sound the same.

Mystery Dungeon: I was more concerned with Chikorita's voice than Charmander's, actually. I'm pretty sure that Gengar was voiced by the same person who did Yu-Gi-Oh's Weevil Underwood, so that's likely what you're hearing. And yeah, "Team Meanies"... that's worse than Team Rocket! Who would possibly hire them? >_<

Chris 2.1
9th September 2006, 06:54 AM
My understanding is that PMD was simply a spin-off to help launch Mysterious Dungeon in the US. Incedentally, what were the cliffhangers you spoke off? I doubt we'll see it in the Uk.

mr_pikachu
9th September 2006, 07:05 AM
Well, to be fair, I guess they weren't cliffhangers so much as unexplored ideas. I had the following thoughts:

1. Obviously, the two other teams. Team Meanies didn't need to be re-examined, but the other team (whose name I forget, but who were a bunch of extremely strong Pokemon) could have easily come into play. They were only mentioned, but considering the way in which they were brought up, it's not a stretch to think that the Go-Getters could have easily met with them on their journeys, and learned from/gotten into competition with them.

2. The hypnotized Skarmory. Not only did its personality seem to change, but it appeared to have no memory of what it did in its "evil" form. Obviously, someone must have been at fault, but who would do such a thing? This is a very easy example.

3. "How do I become human again?" Yeah, that's pretty straightforward. The kid who became a Pokemon may have liked being human. Then again, he mentioned that it wasn't so bad being a Pokemon. So perhaps a better question would be, "Do I want to become human again?" That's something that could definitely be explored in later, apparently non-existant episodes.

...On the other hand, I suppose that all of these could be focuses of the Mysterious Dungeon games... so that does make a bit of sense. Although it's a little disappointing to think that I basically watched a 30-minute commercial... :sweat:

EDIT: Before I forget, I'd like to expand upon an earlier point I made. There's probably another reason that the Pokemon voices seem pretty accurate. When you only have to say one word, there's not much you have to practice. It's a very limited range of dialogue. (Heck, even I can get close with the old "Pika pika? Pikachuuuu.")

Mr.Pokemon
9th September 2006, 12:48 PM
Well, Mystery Dungeon had a To Be Continued thing at the end...Hmmm....

As for the voices, I found them decent. The new music and opening sucked though.

DaBlackBandit
9th September 2006, 12:50 PM
I personally thought the voices were weird, but I guess that's what America does, out with the old and in with the new.

I saw that episodes twice, and I thought I heard Skarmory say "DIE", is that true? Isn't that suppose to be a kiddy version of Pokemon?

Treeckachu
9th September 2006, 04:46 PM
My understanding is that PMD was simply a spin-off to help launch Mysterious Dungeon in the US. Incedentally, what were the cliffhangers you spoke off? I doubt we'll see it in the Uk.

Yes, let me clear things up. That corny show WAS to promote the sell of the game in the U.S. I predict that LESS PEOPLE will buy it now. Hehehe...that's just me.

Cliffhangers, I didn't notice any either.

Now for my own personal opinion on the show.

Needs work, very cheesy and corny but if they put a little more into the show it could be all right. I mean, Team Meanies? They might as well call'em Team Lima Bean if it's gonna be as dumb as that.

HAHA! Go Team! Gimme an L-I-M-A-Uhhh, yeah, forget about that...

Squirtle's voice seemed uh, adventurous, and I think I can stand it. Still wierd for a turtle though.

Charmander's voice wasn't 'hard' enough if ya know what I mean. Charmanders come across to me as calm and cute, but tough. Not really leader types, like they tried to pull off here. Tried being the operative word.
-____________-

Chikorita sounds like a braniac student who's shy and all. Okay voice. Her character was sorta useless if you ask me. This reminds me- "Razor Leaf go!"

"Oh give me a break!" (I heard that Skarmory!)

The new music they put in blended pretty well though. That's almost all I REALLY, REALLY was into.

My point being, this show needs some beefing up, and Team "LIMA BEAN" had pretty dull voices, all except for Ekans. Gengar's was my least favorite. I'd expect him to sound more like he was "hardened" in life, but not like a mean old man smoking a cigar! Come ON! Also, Squirtle...the boy didn't even spazz out. He attempted to act scared, but it came across as "I could care less about my life I'll just ditch my worried family and stay a Squirtle."

Oh yeah, this is for Battle Frontier. Sorry 'bout that!

Battle Frontier seemed like a poorly put together Pokemon premiere with barely anything to like about it besides uh...besides what really? I'll be watching because I like Pokemon to much to stop, but it seemed like the new VAs were trying DESPERATELY to pick up where the old ones left off.

I'm not with all that "make the character your own" junk. I feel a tantrum coming on, and fast. "I SAID GIMME BACK MY VOICE ACTORS!"

Phew! Okay! I'm done. ;_;

Goodbye VAs!

I feel Pokemon won't last much longer as a good show in the US. Fans adore the voices too much already so...bring'em back. That's the only solution. The whole concept'll definitely still be a hobby for years to come; catching and raising battle partners. Of course it will, but the show, if it stays this 'out of sync' with the way the show was with the old voices, won't do so well and they'll lose valuable fans, possibly by the dozens. I can already see it. -___-

mr_pikachu
9th September 2006, 07:02 PM
Well, Mystery Dungeon had a To Be Continued thing at the end...Hmmm....

Whoa, you're right! I just personally confirmed this.

It could be one of two things, I believe. Either they're just using the standard "To Be Continued" thingie that they have for years out of habit, or they really are planning to continue the series. Hmm...

Treeckachu
11th September 2006, 08:48 PM
Well, I just assumed it was gonna be a regularly aired show. Maybe not...? :confused:

TKnHappyNess
14th September 2006, 01:22 PM
The "To Be Continued..." thing is probably related to Mystery Dungeon itself, since you can plan your own team in it and continue where the special left off.

Kevin
17th September 2006, 01:17 PM
These Battle Frontier episodes hurt my ears.

Chris 2.1
18th September 2006, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the decline of Pokemon.