PDA

View Full Version : Transfering old pokemon

Jeff
24th September 2006, 02:07 PM
From http://www.pokebeach.com/index.php?start_from=10&ucat=&archive=&subaction=&id=&

Step 1: Get the National Dex! All of the Shinou Pokemon are featured in the Shinoh Dex, but once you power up to the National Dex you can record information about Pokemon from beyond the Shinou region as well.

Step 2: Insert a Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, or Leaf Green game pack into the DS’s GBA slot and go to the D/P start up screen. Along with the usual options of continuing or starting a new game, you will be given an option to transfer Pokemon from the GBA pack that you inserted.

Step 3: The Pokemon storage box from your Advance game will appear on the lower screen of the DS. Tap the Pokemon that you want to transfer and an icon will appear above each one indicating that it has been selected. You can transfer 6 Pokemon at a time but you can't transfer Pokemon from the same copy of Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, or Leaf Green more than once in a 24 hour period.

Step 4: The Pokemon that you transfer to D/P will appear in a place called the Pal Park. You need to buy special Pokeballs called Park Balls to capture Pokemon in the Pal Park, which have a 100% catch rate. Pokemon that are naturally rare will be harder to find and capture. Once you capture all 6 Pokemon, they will be transferred to your PC and you will be able to use them in D/P! However, you will never be able to transfer them back to your GBA games, so you better choose wisely on the ones you want to transfer. When you look at the Trainer Memo on the Pokemon's status page, it will tell you which region the Pokemon originated from.

Thoughts?

Personally, I don't see why we just can't trade the old pokemon over like in GSC. And if the fact that you actually have to recapture them isn't bad enough, you can only do 6 in a 24-hour period. It just seems strange, it would have been much better if they would just allow you to simply move pokemon between the two games' boxes or even trading like in GSC would be acceptable. I'm also really irked by the fact that once your pokemon are transferred, you can't send them back to the old games, this means once they're transeferred, that's it, and also, we won't be able to get tradeback moves for G3.

Number1ChanseyFan
24th September 2006, 04:55 PM
[color=magenta]Meh, I agree with you, that just doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun... Why in the heck would we want to have to recatch Pokémon that we already caught or hatched? And what is with the limit of 6 Pokémon per 24-hour period? And the fact that you can't transfer the Pokémon from DP over to the Advanced Generation Games... I can't even think of one thing in that article that sounds appealing... XD

Everoy
24th September 2006, 06:31 PM
Maybe there will be a game for the Wii enabling more transfering or transfering from DP to RSEFrLg?

Crazy
24th September 2006, 06:50 PM
Well not everyone has multiple systems for trading. Personally I'm glad, because GBA has been missing for quite some time and I only have 1 DS. Though I have to say the way they set it up is odd.

Number1ChanseyFan
24th September 2006, 07:47 PM
Maybe there will be a game for the Wii enabling more transfering or transfering from DP to RSEFrLg?
[color=magenta]Well, the Pokémon Battle Revolution game for the Wii is in the works right now, and it will allow for transfer from Diamond and Pearl. I don't know how/if it will work at all for the Advanced Generation games.

Everoy
24th September 2006, 08:09 PM
[color=magenta]Well, the Pokémon Battle Revolution game for the Wii is in the works right now, and it will allow for transfer from Diamond and Pearl. I don't know how/if it will work at all for the Advanced Generation games.

Meh, well, the main reason I'd want full trading is so that I could trade between Advanced Gen games without another console, but I'm buying a Wii, so I can just get a game that lets me do that for Gamecube. Does Pokemon Box have that function?

DarkestLight
25th September 2006, 12:21 PM
Yah, I think I know what you're saying.

Yeah you can trade something from Emerald to Box, and then Box to Ruby, if that's what you mean. I do that with Box since I only have one GBA now... ..Ironically, I still don't have 1499 on that damn system yet -.-...think I'm up to 1100, but yeah, breeding takes a while..

Jeff
26th September 2006, 07:20 AM
Some people have speculated that transferring might be one-way because pokemon might have some extra values attached to them in DP. But, the games are coming out in two days and everything that has been announced can be implemented without adding extra values to pokemon. There just seems to be a trend of transferring being more restrictive, at first, for cross-gen transferring we could trade, and if you had and N64, you could simply move. Now Colosseum only allows trading, and for moving you need box, and as for cross-gen transferring, we have this recapture, one-way, 6-a-day business.

rinku
26th September 2006, 08:47 PM
Might also be to deliberately limit breeding chains. At least it will mean that you won't have to catch or breed junk pokémon on DP to allow your old ones to be traded in.

The 6 per day limit is annoying, but I think International Wi-Fi trading will go a long way to mitigate that. There won't be any great incentive to trade in pokémon just to complete the 'dex - it'll be quicker to get that with trading.

Dark Eevolution
29th September 2006, 12:04 PM
I see. So the balls have 100% capture rate.

However, I don't like the idea of my pokemon that are in cool balls having some tired ol' Park Ball.

I hope the thing doesn't look ugly...

Jeff
29th September 2006, 12:40 PM
Interesting point, hopefully when pokemon are caught with the park ball, it will "transform" into whatever ball you used to catch it before.

Poryhedron
29th September 2006, 01:17 PM
Highly doubtful. You're not the same trainer as Brendan or May, so the "met" entry will say you met these pokémon in the Park. Almost certainly they'll be displayed as being in the Park's Balls.

Pokemaster Ash
29th September 2006, 01:32 PM
Well at the very least it's a way to get all of them from R/S/E (and I presume FR/LG as well) over to D/P without too much trouble. Of course, those of us who can and will abuse useful glitches will find a way around losing Pokémon in Emerald, but it'll be interesting to see how well this transfer system works.

Depending on where this Park is, I might be able to grab one of my all-time favorite Pokémon as well as my Dragonslayer pretty quickly, and have her be pretty strong to start. Articuno, the only Legendary I use regularly. (And I'm well aware Articuno's genderless in the games, but I prefer to think of Articuno as female. Seems somewhat right to me.)

Dark Eevolution
2nd October 2006, 07:31 PM
I want to be able to design my own poke' ball.

That moon ball (although not meant for this) would look great on my Shadow (Umbreon.)

And it'd be cool if there was a light ball that could go with Psyvee (my Espeon).

I suppose when compared, the primier ball would be the "sun" compared to the moon ball.

Umbreon and Espeon are awesome, they need balls of thier own.

rinku
3rd October 2006, 08:15 PM
Luxury balls suit Umbreon.

Dark Scizor
6th October 2006, 03:33 PM
I'll be waiting for the trading features of Battle Revolution before I decide to transfer my pokémon over to Diamond.

Jeff
6th October 2006, 08:21 PM
Yeah, hopefully it'll allow tradebacks, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, found out some more restrictions today. Apparently you MUST transfer 6 at a time, no less, and you can't transfer any pokemon that know HM moves (I'm assuming that means all the old ones, since it's basically for the same reason you can't erase HM moves, so you don't get stuck.)

rinku
8th October 2006, 11:40 PM
I doubt very much if they will allow tradebacks with the Wii if they aren't with the DS.

Rabid_Cow
9th October 2006, 05:47 PM
One question: If you HAVE to transfer 6 pokes at once are we to assume this is your active party? Since when could you trade your last poke in your party? Do you just get the next 6 pokes in your first box? Something about that isn't right...

RattataGuy
9th October 2006, 06:34 PM
One question: If you HAVE to transfer 6 pokes at once are we to assume this is your active party? Since when could you trade your last poke in your party? Do you just get the next 6 pokes in your first box? Something about that isn't right...
You're given the option of going through your Boxes to choose what six pokemon you do want to transfer, you just can't transfer less than six during any given transfer.

rinku
9th October 2006, 09:02 PM
Aparently the 6-per-day is a limit on the GBA cart, not the DS one. So I could potentially trade 24 per day from Ruby, Sapphire, Leaf Green and Emerald. Box makes it simple to transfer between the GBA ones.

Pokemaster Ash
9th October 2006, 09:38 PM
I find it odd that they can't be transferred if they have HM moves. I can think of a good reason why, but some reasons why it's really silly too.

Good reason: So you don't get stuck without Surf, Strength, etc. that'd be necessary to get to any given location.
Silly reason 1: You can catch something to replace the transferred Poké most of the time.
Silly reason 2: HMs are infinite....

And there is such a thing as the Move Deleter.

mr_pikachu
10th October 2006, 09:32 AM
I guess in terms of the good reason you mentioned, there would be too many possible exceptions to the rule to try to program it all in, so they thought it would be simpler to just bar HM transfers altogether. Plus, it would be a problem if they missed one of the possible exceptions and someone got totally stuck as a result.

They're right, and it is smart programming, but it's still slightly irritating.

Hmm... do you have to be in a Pokemon Center to do this, or can you pull off the transfer from any location by using the DS? If it's the latter, then I can see barring HM transfers. Imagine what would happen if you transferred your Surfer... while using Surf. Glitch City! :eek:

Elekidkid
10th October 2006, 09:50 AM
What I'm wondering...

In this park, do you actually capture the same one your transferred or does it make that type available? Say you transfer a Houndoom from one of the games. Do you get a Houndoom identical to that one in the park or do you get wild Houndoom? The way it sounds, with "Pokemon that are naturally rare will be harder to find" said, it almost seems like it'll be just making certain Pokemon newly available.

mr_pikachu
10th October 2006, 10:36 AM
I believe it's the same one that you transferred. Otherwise it would be very frustrating, as you would lose your diligently trained Pokemon.

frylock
10th October 2006, 06:46 PM
It's completely identcal, right down to EVs. They even kep their items and shininess(if they're shiny.)

rinku
10th October 2006, 07:00 PM
I find it odd that they can't be transferred if they have HM moves. I can think of a good reason why, but some reasons why it's really silly too.

Could be because Dive is no longer a HM or TM move and Flash is a TM. Actually, how DO you get Dive in D/P?

Edit:
Ooo-kay. Aparrently Dive is now limited to those who learn it by level up, according to the AttackDex at SPP. Which is:

Seel/Dewgong
Wailmer/Wailord
Huntail/Gorebyss
Relicanth
Fione/Manaphy

They've also changed its base power from 60 to 80.

Damn. That's going to annoy the Beauty Contest players who like the Surf/Dive combo... (and MIGHT be the single reason it was changed?). However, I guess there could be a move tutor somewhere who teaches it - SPP hasn't posted those yet.

mr_pikachu
10th October 2006, 07:06 PM
Wait, Flash is a TM now? Could it be that you don't need it for any caves?

It's about time. :D

Blademaster
10th October 2006, 07:22 PM
That shipment of flashlights to Jothok must have finally come in. :sweat2:

RattataGuy
11th October 2006, 01:05 PM
I want to be able to design my own poke' ball.

Ask and you shall recieve... http://serebii.net/diamondpearl/stickers.shtml

Poryhedron
11th October 2006, 02:58 PM
"There are many kinds and strengths of stickers"...most of that article seems to imply that the only effect is cosmetic, i.e. the design of the bursting energy when the pokémon is released. What are different sticker strengths for, though? Deciding whether a ball opens with a few scattered hearts or a massive swarm of them?

rinku
11th October 2006, 04:53 PM
Looks loke there's a smoke effect...

To protect the world from devestation...

;)

mr_pikachu
11th October 2006, 07:27 PM
I dunno... this could be used in a way that's more than "cosmetic." For instance, the heart-generating sticker could work in a similar way as the Cute Charm ability, with a greater chance of attraction for a stronger sticker. The smoke one could up evasion. See where I'm going with this?

It's certainly plausible that this is merely cosmetic, but it sounds like a big waste of programming code if it is.

Elekidkid
11th October 2006, 08:06 PM
Not necessarily... they put the programming code in Yellow for the Surfing Pikachu mini-game. It might just be a fun little touch, you know? Although it would be really nice if it was a bit more than that. How long has it been out in Japan? I'm sure somebody would have played a bit of the game by now.

mr_pikachu
11th October 2006, 09:04 PM
It was released on September 28, about two weeks ago. So yeah, presumably somebody has figured out pretty much everything by now. The problem is either finding someone who did that with an imported game or accurately translating a guide written in Japanese.

rinku
12th October 2006, 05:44 PM
Don't assume that everything will be teased out of the game for a while yet. Pokemon Battle Revolution has yet to be released, so no-one really knows if there will be any extra goodies through DP/PBR linkup. Plus, there might be wireless network angles that Nintendo could spring on us at any point. Or stuff to do with future Wii and DS games.

Even if the custom balls don't have any effect *now* they may well do so later.

Or, the efect may be only important in contests (which would make a LOT of sense).

Sceptile_Master
15th October 2006, 06:52 AM
Well if the custom balls were to effect anything other than asthetics I'd assume it would probably be capturing effeciency on different pokemon like other pokeballs are. For example mabye the pokeballs with an electric sticker on will have a high catch rate for electric pokemon and so on.

rinku
15th October 2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, that's quite a good thought. Wouldn't affect battle balance, but gives a small "expert trainer" feel ;)

I noticed there's a new ball that has a high catch rate in the dark, plus a new verison of the premier ball that is all-red (i.e. looks pretty but otherwise same as a normal pokéball).