PDA

View Full Version : GAME: The Second Riddle Game Championship ~ COMPLETE! (M.A.)

mr_pikachu
25th September 2006, 08:40 PM
The Second Riddle Game Championship
Hosted by mr_pikachu
Mod Approved by Wolfsong

Welcome to the second Riddle Game Championship! This special event for the popular Riddle Game will determine who on TPM is the greatest at solving riddles. There are many unique, one-of-a-kind riddle figurines up for grabs for those who can figure out the puzzles crafted by your hosts, and a special, custom championship figurine with a trophy for the competitor who wins it all!

Before we begin, however, it is important that the rules of the competition are explained. Even if you have played the Riddle Game before, please read these instructions, as they are slightly different from those of the regular Riddle Game.

COMPETITION RULES

1. The goal in this game is to correctly guess what Pokemon is being described in each riddle. Each riddle contains just enough information to allow you to figure it out – but you have to figure out just what that information is first!

2. In this event, any of the 386 Pokemon may be the solution to any of the riddles.

3. This thread is both for the competition itself and for signups. Anyone on TPM (excluding mr_pikachu) may sign up for this event at any time during the competition. However, those who sign up after the event has begun will be at a disadvantage, as they will miss the earlier opportunities to win figurines and score points in the game. To sign up, simply make a post in the thread telling the hosts that you want to participate. (If the competition has already started when a player signs up, guesses may be made in that post as would normally be allowed.)

4. The competition will consist of five rounds, each of which will include two riddles – labeled “Tau” and “Phi” – that will both be posted at the beginning of the round. Each round will continue until either both riddles are solved or until one full week passes since the start of the round. An unlimited number of total guesses may be made on each riddle, so don’t worry about guessing too much.

5. Participants may make up to a total of four guesses per post. Since two riddles will sometimes be available for guessing at once, players must divide their guesses between the two riddles. For example, a player may choose to use three guesses in a post on the “Tau” riddle and one on “Phi.” Or a player could use all four guesses on “Phi,” or make two guesses on each riddle, etc. Keep in mind that you are not required to use all four guesses in a post; you could decide simply to make a single guess on one riddle in a post, for instance. But no more than four guesses per post.

6. Once you have made a post in the game with riddle guesses, you may not post again in the competition thread until mr_pikachu has judged whether or not your guesses are correct. As soon as the host has confirmed correct guesses and rejected incorrect ones, you may guess at the remaining riddles in the round again.

7. For each guess you make, you must explain why you think the guess matches at least ¾ of the riddle, rounded down to the nearest line. For instance, if the riddle is four lines long, you must give an explanation for at least three of the lines. If the riddle is six lines long, then you only need to explain four of the lines, since that would be ¾ of the total riddle rounded down to the nearest line.

8. The only riddles given in this competition will be taken from a collection of specially designed riddles by mr_pikachu. Participants need not worry about posting new riddles once they have solved the ones in this competition. The only task set before you, the players, is to solve as many riddles as you can.

9. For each riddle a participant is the first to solve correctly, that player will win the unique figurine in question as well as one point for the competition.

10. The winner is the competitor who has earned the most points once the fifth round is completed. In the event of a tie for first place, a final tiebreaker riddle will be given only to those players who are tied for first. The first remaining participant to solve the tiebreaker riddle will then be the champion. Some rules for the tiebreaker riddle (such as number of guesses allowed, the time limit, etc.) may be different from those in the rest of the competition. This is solely at the discretion of the hosts.

11. Since mr_pikachu is the host, he will not be allowed to compete. His job is to be the judge and host, while anyone else may compete freely.

12. Good luck to everyone, and have fun!

This thread will be for signup purposes only for two weeks from the time of this post. After two weeks have passed, the competition will begin. Players may still sign up throughout the competition by posting in this thread as mentioned before.

Let the games begin!

STANDINGS
Blademaster - 4
Fett One - 1
shinypkmnchaser
Kevvaelli
mistysakura
Crazy Elf Boy
Ace64

Blademaster
25th September 2006, 08:44 PM
Ehhhhhhh... OK, sign me up.

Shadow Wolf
25th September 2006, 08:46 PM
Sign me up please.

Everoy
25th September 2006, 09:09 PM
I'm in like Flynn.

Blademaster
25th September 2006, 10:16 PM

Dude, you know Flynn?

Everoy
25th September 2006, 11:08 PM

Dude, you know Flynn?

Hellz ja.

Fett One
25th September 2006, 11:43 PM
Why not. Sign me up.

mistysakura
26th September 2006, 09:46 PM
Count me in.

Crazy Elf Boy
27th September 2006, 02:50 AM
PLZ Sign me up

Ace64
27th September 2006, 08:46 AM
Once more.

mr_pikachu
5th October 2006, 07:17 PM
Okay, it's time for this to begin! Good luck, everyone!

And remember, signups will remain open throughout the competition. So if you show up late, feel free to join and get in the game

First Round Riddles

Tau
A solid rock, I stand here certain
My attack will leave you hurtin’.
You’d damage me, but I’m immune
So you won’t beat me quite so soon.
I could be brash, but I’m just tough,
So my challenge will prove quite rough.
My whole life lies ahead of me
So I’ll give you a shock. You’ll see!

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Phi
Letter to editor:
You bozo! I will run over your dog if you don’t quit tossing out junk like Trix Yogurt: Do we like it? Get it? Don’t write stuff like No Flying, or you will regret it! I won’t even use gloves on you! It won’t end until you quit on your own, or strong strikes do it for you!

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Fett One
5th October 2006, 08:14 PM
Nosepass

Tau
Nosepass is a rock pokemon that can stand. Rock type attacks are very effective

Electric pokemon can't use electric attacks due to Nosepass being immune but they can still win using other attacks such as iron tail.

Rock pokemon can be tough to beat

Its nose sticks out in front and it can use electric attacks to shock its opponents. Their opponents will also be shocked to see a rock pokemon using electric attacks

mr_pikachu
5th October 2006, 08:17 PM
Sorry, but I'm afraid that's not what I'm looking for.

First Round Riddles

Tau

Incorrect Guesses (1):
1. Nosepass

Phi
Letter to editor:
You bozo! I will run over your dog if you don’t quit tossing out junk like Trix Yogurt: Do we like it? Get it? Don’t write stuff like No Flying, or you will regret it! I won’t even use gloves on you! It won’t end until you quit on your own, or strong strikes do it for you!

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Fett One
5th October 2006, 08:27 PM
Dodu/Dodrio

Phi
Letter to editor:

Dodu/Dodrio can run fast so it can easily run over things. Also it looks like the roadrunner which runs all over the coyote which is a type of dog. Because they don't appear to have wings people assume they can't fly even though they can learn the attack Fly. Dodu/Dodrio use powerful beak attacks so its strikes always do a lot of damage.

mr_pikachu
5th October 2006, 08:35 PM
Sorry, but I'm afraid neither of those are quite right.

First Round Riddles

Tau

Incorrect Guesses (1):
1. Nosepass

Phi
Letter to editor:

Incorrect Guesses (2):
1. Doduo
2. Dodrio

Blademaster
5th October 2006, 09:02 PM
We have up to four guesses per post, huh? OK...

Tau

Sableye/Aron

Aron is a Steel/Rock hybrid - virtually no moves can really damage it. And Sableye, though not a Rock-type, is still quite durable - offensively and defensively.

Aron can resist most types of attacks, and it's totally immune to Poison. Sableye has no weaknesses at all, so it can technically be damaged but also be immune.

Aron and Sableye both look menacing; they aren't, but they're still pretty strong. Catching one isn't easy, and beating them is an even bigger pain in the ass.

Sableye isn't really 'alive,' but on the same note, it can't be 'killed,' so... You figure it out. Aron, on the other hand, still has to evolve twice. Either way, they can both learn Electric attacks, despite their apparent inability to do so.

Phi

Hitmonchan/Mr. Mime

Letter to editor:

Mr. Mime looks like a clown (bozo), and both Mime and 'Chan look human enough to work a car. No Flying may be condescending to 'Chan, due to his weakness, or to Mime due to his low Defense. Both Pokemon wear gloves, and they can both dish out some physical abuse when angered (Mime slaps his opponents around when angry, remember?).

Fett One
5th October 2006, 11:13 PM
Zangoose

Tau
Zangoose like to fight and they have big claws so an attack will hurt a lot

Zangoose can recieve damage from poison type attacks but can't be poisoned thanks to its special ability, which makes it immune to poison. As such you can't rely on poisoning Zangoose in order to speed up the battle.

Zangoose don't quit until they win or loose, at least when it comes to fighting seviper

It doesn't evolve so it spends its whole life as a Zangoose. Zangoose can learn electric attacks which can take people by surprise since they won't be expecting it

mr_pikachu
6th October 2006, 12:03 AM
Sorry, but I'm afraid none of the attempts are correct. Keep trying!

First Round Riddles

Tau

Incorrect Guesses (4):
1. Nosepass
2. Sableye
3. Aron
4. Zangoose

Phi
Letter to editor:

Incorrect Guesses (4):
1. Doduo
2. Dodrio
3. Hitmonchan
4. Mr. Mime

Shadow Wolf
6th October 2006, 08:57 AM
For the Tau riddle, I will guess Anorith/Armaldo/Rhyhorn

They are all Rock type and the pokedex says(for Anorith/Armaldo): "It grips its prey firmly between its two large claws, which have the power to punch right through a steel slab",and for Rhyhorn: "It are very powerful and it can destroy buildings and semitrailers with Tackle" so that's got to hurt.

Anorith/Armaldo have the ability Battle Armor, which block critical hits; Rhyhorn has a very tough armor, which protects it from feeling damage.

No clue for Anorith/Armaldo
Rhyhorn is not too bright, but both are very strong.

Rhyhorn just lives running in straight lines and smashing everything in it path, so that can be described as a way of living ahead.

Anorith/Armaldo are resurrected from a fossil. They were supposed to exist in the past, but when resurrected, they live in the future ahead of them.

All of them can learn many useful moves like Earthquake and Rock Slide, and Rock Slide can make the opponent flinch.(I believe that's some sort of shock)

mr_pikachu
6th October 2006, 09:04 AM
Sorry, but I'm afraid those are also incorrect. Keep thinking, everyone!

First Round Riddles

Tau

Incorrect Guesses (7):
1. Nosepass
2. Sableye
3. Aron
4. Zangoose
5. Anorith
6. Armaldo
7. Rhyhorn

Phi
Letter to editor:

Incorrect Guesses (4):
1. Doduo
2. Dodrio
3. Hitmonchan
4. Mr. Mime

Fett One
6th October 2006, 09:09 PM
Regirock/Groudon

Tau
Regirock is a rock that you find standing. It has powerful attacks that can do a lot of damage to your pokemon. Groudon also has powerful attacks and it can create earth (rock)

Groudon special ability provides it some protection against water type attacks. I'm not really sure about Regirock

Groudon is tough and can be brash when it is first awaken. They are both difficult pokemon to beat since you usually try to capture them.

Neither pokemon evolves so they remain the same all their lives. Groudon also has to remain asleep in order for things to remain balanced so you will be shocked by its power when that balance is disturbed.

Everoy
7th October 2006, 04:06 PM
Rhydon for Tau?

Tau
>Rhydon has a very high attack, and is part Rock-type.
>Rhydon is immune to Electric attacks.
>One of Rhydon's abilities is Rock Head, which could be translated as being thick-headed or stubborn.
>Rhydon gains an evolution in Diamond/Pearl.
>Rhydon can learn several Electric-type attacks.

Ledyba/Ledian for Phi?

Phi
Letter to editor:
>Ledyba and Ledian are part Flying-types that wear gloves.

It sounded plausible in my head, really!

mr_pikachu
7th October 2006, 06:57 PM
Again, I have to reject those answers. Keep trying!

First Round Riddles

Tau
My attack will leave you hurtin'.
You'd damage me, but I'm immune
So you won't beat me quite so soon.
I could be brash, but I'm just tough,
So I'll give you a shock. You'll see!

Incorrect Guesses (10):
1. Nosepass
2. Sableye
3. Aron
4. Zangoose
5. Anorith
6. Armaldo
7. Rhyhorn
8. Regirock
9. Groudon
10. Rhydon

Phi
Letter to editor:
You bozo! I will run over your dog if you don't quit tossing out junk like Trix Yogurt: Do we like it? Get it? Don't write stuff like No Flying, or you will regret it! I won't even use gloves on you! It won't end until you quit on your own, or strong strikes do it for you!

Incorrect Guesses (6):
1. Doduo
2. Dodrio
3. Hitmonchan
4. Mr. Mime
5. Ledyba
6. Ledian

Note: The Phi riddle is organized in a prosaic format; it does not have lines in the same manner as most riddles. It can be judged as divided into two lines: "Letter to editor:" is the first, and the remainder of the riddle is the second. According to the rules, this means you only need a reason for one line when making a guess.

Everoy
7th October 2006, 08:03 PM
I'm going for something not nearly obvious and I've decided that it isn't a Rock-type, so for Tau, I'll guess Shedinja.

>> Doesn't really fit, Maybe a reference to Shedinja's hard shell of a body.
>> Highest stat is attack.
>> Immune to all but five types.
>> You can only get one if you have an extra pokeball and a slot in your party when Nincada evolves.
>> Well, Shedinja is dead.
>> Um, its shockingly hollow? *dies*

*llama* Really, I tried...

mr_pikachu
7th October 2006, 08:34 PM
Sorry, but that's incorrect. Don't give up!

First Round Riddles

Tau

Incorrect Guesses (11):
1. Nosepass
2. Sableye
3. Aron
4. Zangoose
5. Anorith
6. Armaldo
7. Rhyhorn
8. Regirock
9. Groudon
10. Rhydon
11. Shedinja

Phi
Letter to editor:
You bozo! I will run over your dog if you don't quit tossing out junk like Trix Yogurt: Do we like it? Get it? Don't write stuff like No Flying, or you will regret it! I won't even use gloves on you! It won't end until you quit on your own, or strong strikes do it for you!

Incorrect Guesses (6):
1. Doduo
2. Dodrio
3. Hitmonchan
4. Mr. Mime
5. Ledyba
6. Ledian

Note: The Phi riddle is organized in a prosaic format; it does not have lines in the same manner as most riddles. It can be judged as divided into two lines: "Letter to editor:" is the first, and the remainder of the riddle is the second. According to the rules, this means you only need a reason for one line when making a guess.

mistysakura
7th October 2006, 11:13 PM
Tau -- Magnemite/Magneton

No, I don't know why they "stand"

But they both have Lock-On, so they're "certain" their attaccks will hit.

They have the ability Sturdy

So they are immune to one-hit-KOs.

Their Attack is much lower than their Defense. Also they learn an abundance of defense moves, so they're tough, but not brash.

According to the Pokedex they emit powerful electromagnetic waves, which are fatal to electronic devices, adn it's a tough challenge to get rid of them.

No idea.

They're Electric Pokemon.

Okay, I'm pushing it...

Everoy
7th October 2006, 11:19 PM
Actually, mistysakura, that's what I was going to guess next.

mr_pikachu
9th October 2006, 04:28 AM
Intriguing guesses, but I'm afraid you've missed on both counts.

First Round Riddles

Tau

Incorrect Guesses (13):
1. Nosepass
2. Sableye
3. Aron
4. Zangoose
5. Anorith
6. Armaldo
7. Rhyhorn
8. Regirock
9. Groudon
10. Rhydon
11. Shedinja
12. Magnemite
13. Magneton

Phi
Letter to editor:

Incorrect Guesses (6):
1. Doduo
2. Dodrio
3. Hitmonchan
4. Mr. Mime
5. Ledyba
6. Ledian

mr_pikachu
13th October 2006, 11:45 PM
It looks like the time limit has passed for this round. Here are the answers to the two opening riddles:

First Round Riddles

Tau - Beldum
Beldum is a Steel-type Pokemon. Steel is made from refined rocks and minerals.

It can only learn one attack, the powerful move Take Down. But the crudeness of the word "hurtin'" implies that this may not quite be perfect; in fact, Take Down has low accuracy and is ineffective against Ghost Pokemon.

Beldum can levitate above the ground using magnetism. While this doesn't help in-game, it does allow it to evade powerful Ground moves like Earthquake when looking from an anime point of view.

Beldum also has extremely strong defenses for an unevolved Pokemon.

In the anime, Morrison owns a Beldum (later a Metang). Morrison is an extremely brash trainer, and such a persona could be reflected in his other Pokemon.

Beldum's body isn't smooth; it has natural corners and edges to make it "rough."

Beldum is unevolved.

It uses magnetic energy to float. Magnetic power could conceivably be converted into electrical strength. Furthermore, Beldum's final evolution is one of the strongest Pokemon around.

Phi - Machamp
Letter to editor:

“Letter to writer” indicates that the letters are the key. Also, telling the “writer” to stop writing everything shown in the note means that the letters in the note are wrong. None of the letters in “Machamp” are in this note, while every other letter in the alphabet is. Machamp is the only Pokemon with the letters M, A, C, H, and P but nothing else. “No Flying” means that Fighting types have trouble against Flying types. Finally, Machamp doesn’t use boxing gloves on any of its arms.

Well, now it's time for round two. Hopefully you'll all have better luck this time!

Second Round Riddles

Tau
No eggs for you, I hate to say,
Though I’ll give you a gift today.
My size is never really clear,
Though I’m the one who’ll shed a tear.
I may be cute and cuddly, too,
But distant powers will trash you!
For me, many trainers still crave
As I can win with my big wave!

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Phi
A spinning top, I’m quite surprising.
Smacking strikes will leave you diving.
Slam your chest and be the best
Though you’re still soaking in your nest!

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Blademaster
19th October 2006, 09:26 PM

Well, gee whiz, let's not all jump on the bandwagon at once, guys. :sweat:

Tau - Pichu/Azurill

Azurill and Pichu are Babies; Baby Pokemon don't produce Eggs.

Don't know.

Babies grow quickly; Baby Pokemon evolve quickly and at odd times, as well.

Babies typically cry a lot.

Pichu and Azurill are cute and cuddly...

...But when they eventually evolve to their final forms, watch out!

Azurill is a bitch to obtain, and both are bitches to hatch, too, but you need them for that stupid Pokedex, so...

Both Pichu and Azurill can learn Surf.

Phi - Tyrogue/ Hitmontop

Tyrogue and Hitmontop are both capable of using Rapid Spin.

Tyrogue and Hitmontop are both capable of using a variety of punching and kicking attacks.

Fighting Pokemon like Tyrogue and Hitmontop are usually depicted as pretty rough and proud.

Dunno about Hitmontop, but Tyrogue is still a baby; Baby Pokemon hatch from Eggs, and Eggs are found in nests.

mr_pikachu
20th October 2006, 01:12 AM
A good try, but I'm afraid that's inaccurate. Keep trying!

Second Round Riddles

Tau

Incorrect Guesses (2):
1. Pichu
2. Azurill

Phi

Incorrect Guesses (2):
1. Tyrogue
2. Hitmontop

mr_pikachu
21st October 2006, 04:46 AM
Round two has come and gone. People, let's see some more guesses for round three!

Second Round Solutions

Tau - Wigglytuff
Wigglytuff looks like a rabbit, so this references the Easter Bunny.

Wigglytuff can learn Present.

It can inflate itself to ward off enemies, according to many of the Pokedexes.

According to the Ruby Pokedex, it is always teary-eyed.

Its fur apparently feels very good, according to the Gold Pokedex. It also has the ability of Cute Charm.

Wigglytuff evolves by use of a Moon Stone.

For me, many trainers still crave.
Jigglypuff and Clefairy are of similar rarity in the games, and Wigglytuff is so rare that it cannot be found in the wild.

In the TCG, two versions of Wigglytuff have powerful attacks that are both called “Do the Wave.”

Phi - Poliwag
Poliwag’s belly shows a spiral.

Poliwag can learn Doubleslap naturally and Dive via HM08.

It can learn Belly Drum in GSC and RSE.

Poliwag is still “in its nest” as the lowest evolutionary stage. Also, it can soak with either of its abilities: Damp or Water Absorb.

Third Round Riddles

Tau
Cast aside, I wait in pain
To become a fighter’s bane
Curses, burns, and destiny
Will lead to vengeful victory.

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Phi
Mythology helps explain me,
This terrible beast of the sea.
Deceptive types will make a shock,
But you shouldn’t put too much stock
In that. I’m really very strong.
If you use me, you can’t go wrong!

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Blademaster
21st October 2006, 03:47 PM
Tau - This has gotta be Banette.

Banette is evidently created by a doll that was abandoned by its owner and then possessed by dark energy.

Banette is a Ghost; Ghosts are totally immune to Fighting attacks.

Banette can learn Curse, Will-O-Wisp, and Destiny Bond...

...As well as Spite, Grudge, and if memory serves, Memento, the latter two of which vengefully cut off an opponent's attack after Banette is defeated.

Fett One
21st October 2006, 07:30 PM
Phi: Gyrados

Gyrados is based off of dragons found in Chinese mythology. Gyrados is also considered to be a terrifying pokemon

Its referred to as a dragon pokemon but it is actually a Flying/Water type. Its type causes it have a huge weakness to electric types.

Gyrados is a very powerful pokemon especially if you use hyperbeam

mr_pikachu
21st October 2006, 08:57 PM
Now we're talking!

Third Round Riddles

Tau - Banette
Banette was a plush doll that was thrown away, according to the RS Pokedexes. Also, it casts curses by sticking pins into its own body.

Ghost > Fighting. Also, the first four letters of Banette spell “bane.”

It uses Curse, Will-O-Wisp, and Destiny Bond.

Phi - Gyarados
Gyarados is a dragon… that doesn’t fly.

Oh, and did I mention it thrives on water?

It has a 4x weakness to electricity… but it can’t really fly.

It’s powerful, nonetheless.

Very high Attack.

It can learn many Special moves, too, which makes in-game fighting a breeze.

Well done, both Blademaster and Fett One! You've each won a figurine this round.

That means it's time for round 4...

Fourth Round Riddles

Tau
Be a good sport! Oh, can’t you see
I shouldn’t shave; I’ll just be me.
No need to grow, I’m strong enough
To take you out. The goop is tough
To fight against. But I don’t care,
So my tough moves will drown you there!

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Phi
I’m a trickster, as you see.
I can shock you suddenly
And hurt myself to frustrate you.
I thrive on fear and panic, too,
So scream as I float before you!

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Good luck!

Blademaster
21st October 2006, 09:10 PM
Sweet! Vivian will be so happy to hear this... Maybe then she'll forgive me for the October Contest... :sweat2:

Phi - I'm thinking Gengar or Misdreavus

Gengar and Missy both love to play tricks on people.

I can shock you suddenly
They both can learn Electric attacks, not to mention Astonish.

Both can use Curse; Missy can use Pain Split, too.

Gengar loves to scare people by pretending to be a shadow; Missy loves to scare people by screaming at them out of nowhere.

mr_pikachu
21st October 2006, 09:12 PM
Someone really knows his ghosts...

Fourth Round Riddles

Tau

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Phi - Misdreavus
According to the GSC Pokedexes, it likes to startle people.

I can shock you suddenly
It likes seeing people’s shocked reactions, and it can learn Shock Wave in RSE.

Pain Split and Perish Song also hurt Misdreavus, while many moves like Spite, Confuse Ray, Mean Look, and Grudge fail to do any damage (but can be very irritating).

Misdreavus uses the its red spheres to drain the fearful feelings of others for nutrition, according to the RS Pokedexes.

Misdreavus has Levitate, and it even shows this in the anime.

So, who can tell me what Tau is?

Blademaster
26th October 2006, 02:36 PM

:idea:

Tau - Could this be Whiscash?

Whiscash can learn both Water Sport and Mud Sport.

Whiscash looks like it has a moustache.

Whiscash doesn't evolve into anything else.

When I see 'goop' in Pokemon, I think two things: mud, which Whiscash utilizes (Water + Ground) and Poison, which Whiscash is resisitant to.

Whiscash learns moves like Surf, Dive, and Hydro Pump, so 'drown' is an accurate way to describe what it can do to its enemies.

mr_pikachu
26th October 2006, 03:16 PM
I'm afraid that's incorrect. Keep trying!

Fourth Round Riddles

Tau

Incorrect Guesses (1):
1. Whiscash

mr_pikachu
29th October 2006, 04:46 PM
Round four is over! Here is the answer to the Tau riddle. (Blademaster, you're going to wish you'd kept guessing...)

Fourth Round Riddles

Tau - Barboach

Barboach can learn both Water Sport and Mud Sport.

It’s the Whiskers Pokemon, so its lengthy “beard” defines it.

It’s unevolved.

Barboach is of the Water and Ground types; combine these to get mud.

It has Oblivious.

It can learn many Water-type moves to drown its opponents.

Now, it's time for the fifth and final round. In the event of a tie after these two riddles, we will go to a tiebreaker riddle for all contestants tied for first place.

Fifth Round Riddles

Tau
My lovely voice offers no choice
To battlers down below.
A somber song with wicked tones
Precedes the wind’s great flow.
Easy healing is will help me beat
Flames, shocks, sickness, and snow.
So try to fight my lovely moves.
I topple those who grow!

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Phi
I’m very large, with power that
Few Pokemon can beat.
I’m quite unique, with special skills
To help me quash the heat.
I’m not alone: My master will
Keep me from my defeat.
So what am I? What Pokemon
Could be quite this elite?

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Good luck, everyone!

Blademaster
29th October 2006, 08:29 PM

OK, that's it - from now on, when I guess an evolve-able Pokemon, I'm guessing the whole line. :grumble:

Tau - Swablu/Altaria

Swablu and Altaria are songbirds that make use of a lot of sound-related moves like Sing.

To battlers down below.
Both are Flying Pokemon; Flying Pokemon are immune to attacks from 'down below' (Ground attacks).

Both can learn Perish Song.

Again, both are Flying types (with fluffy, cloudlike wings to boot)

I assume 'flames, shocks, sickness, and snow' is another way of saying 'Burns, Paralysis, Poison, and Freezing,' all of which Altaria and Swablu can shake off via Safeguard, Refresh, Heal Bell, and Natural Cure.

Well, Swablu and especially Altaria are lovely...

I topple those who grow!
Dunno... A reference to Haze/Mist?

mr_pikachu
29th October 2006, 08:56 PM
A wise guess, Blademaster! You've earned the Altaria figurine! Now all that remains is the Phi riddle...

Fifth Round Riddles

Tau - Altaria
The Ruby and Sapphire Pokedexes both say it has a beautiful singing voice.

To battlers down below.
As a Dragon/Flying Pokemon whose wings are the very clouds themselves, it soars above most challengers.

Perish Song can knock out all Pokemon in any battle.

Perish Song is the last move that Altaria learns before Sky Attack, the most powerful Flying attack.

Altaria has the Natural Cure ability, which heals its status upon switching out. This rids it of burns (flames), paralysis (shocks), poisoning (sickness), and freezing (snow).

I topple those who grow!
Not only is Altaria extremely strong against Grass Pokemon, but Drake’s Altaria trounced Grovyle in its only anime battle.

Phi
Few Pokemon can beat.
Keep me from my defeat.

Incorrect Guesses (0):

Blademaster
29th October 2006, 09:05 PM
Aaaaaand... that makes three. Let's see if I can make it four.

Phi - Kyogre?
Few Pokemon can beat.
Kyogre is a massive moster that's 15 feet tall and weighs 800 pounds... As scientifically impossible as that sounds. :-/ Also, its stats are through the roof; not many Pokemon can exceed that.

It's a Legendary Pokemon - how much more unique can you get?

Drizzle is Kyogre's Ability, which starts a rainstorm when Kyogre enters the battle.

Keep me from my defeat.
Kyogre is the sea god, a part of a trilogy with Groudon (the earth god) and Rayquaza (the sky god).

Legendary = Elite.

mr_pikachu
29th October 2006, 09:26 PM
Now that's the way to finish a Riddle Game Championship!

Fifth Round Riddles

Phi - Kyogre
Few Pokemon can beat.
Kyogre is a huge legendary, and as a legendary it’s stronger than most other Pokemon.

Kyogre is the only Pokemon with Drizzle. Its Special stats are exceptional, too. Finally, it opposes Groudon, beast of the land; the continents were formed from hardened magma, which explains the heat.

Keep me from my defeat.
Note that it’s not the trainer, it’s the MASTER. This is a reference to whoever holds the Red Orb having control over Kyogre.

Kyogre is one of the strongest legendaries.

Let me extend my congratulations to the new Riddle Game Champion... with a total of four riddles solved out of ten, the victor is Blademaster!

Thank you all for participating in the second Riddle Game Championship. I look forward to playing with you at the Riddle Game in the future! See you there, everyone!