PDA

View Full Version : The Latest South Park

DaBlackBandit
7th October 2006, 09:36 AM
Did anyone see it, Make Love Not Warcraft? And if so any comments?

Arnen
7th October 2006, 12:04 PM
It made me sad, since one of my friends actually hasn't spoken to me in a month cuz he's been playing WoW nonstop ><

Alucard
7th October 2006, 01:29 PM
Who really gives a shit...

South Park has bored me for countless series ;x

Heald
7th October 2006, 03:48 PM
It's a shame that they've sacrificed the humour to make room for social and political commentary.

However, the Return of Chef was pretty funny. However, this new one hasn't aired here yet, so I can't comment on it.

Little_Pikachu
7th October 2006, 04:52 PM
I found it pretty funny, still not a patch on what South Park used to be but it was better than a lot of episodes as of late. I've always wanted to play a MMORPG but I refuse to pay for my Internet connection, pay for a game and then have to pay to play the game I just bought on the Internet connection I've already paid for. Then I discovered SilkRoad... You should too :)

Elekidkid
10th October 2006, 09:34 AM
I thought the episode was great. It reminded me of a friend of mine over the summer... kid got pissed that we wanted him to hang out with us because he had a guild snowball fight to attend.

It's a shame that they've sacrificed the humour to make room for social and political commentary.

However, the Return of Chef was pretty funny. However, this new one hasn't aired here yet, so I can't comment on it.

Hm, I have to disagree with that. The show itself has always, to me, seemed like a half-hour political cartoon. If there's one thing I love about it, it's just how intelligent the show is and how relevant it is to today's issues.

Heald
10th October 2006, 12:44 PM
I actually like the political stuff, but now it seems they can get away with just stating political opinions or even just their own opinions without having to link it to actual jokes e.g. their lambasting of Family Guy was pretty weak humour-wise.

Douche & Turd was a brilliant parody of the 2004 election, but instead of alluding to current political events, they just have actual politicians showing up in South Park e.g. Al Gore in Manbearpig and have him acting like a dick.

The Daily Show is the correct grounds for actually having politicians on the show as it is a parody of an actual news show. However, South Park is meant to be a story about four kids in a crazy town, but nowadays they end up going to San Francisco or Hollywood, to name but two, with wafer-thin plots that now hardly involve the boys at all and instead have celebrities and politicians coming on and acting hyperbolically.

Ironically, now that the typical South Park episode is just a bunch of social commentary and political jokes connected by a weak storyline, it has become exactly what it hated about Family Guy. Hell, even Family Guy has some cohesion and boundaries and an actual sense of dilemma, whereas in South Park they can kill off pretty much anyone and destroy South Park over and over and the next episode it will be fine, so there are no consequences for anyone, no matter what happens in the episodes preceding them.

Andrew
12th October 2006, 11:40 PM
I have never played Wow But seen people play it.

It was fairly funny, a bit cliched, but a decent effort. The epicness was hillarious and poor Butters, what character did he become in the end? and did that fatty get killed/

Blademaster
13th October 2006, 12:26 AM
I actually like the political stuff, but now it seems they can get away with just stating political opinions or even just their own opinions without having to link it to actual jokes e.g. their lambasting of Family Guy was pretty weak humour-wise.

Douche & Turd was a brilliant parody of the 2004 election, but instead of alluding to current political events, they just have actual politicians showing up in South Park e.g. Al Gore in Manbearpig and have him acting like a dick.

The Daily Show is the correct grounds for actually having politicians on the show as it is a parody of an actual news show. However, South Park is meant to be a story about four kids in a crazy town, but nowadays they end up going to San Francisco or Hollywood, to name but two, with wafer-thin plots that now hardly involve the boys at all and instead have celebrities and politicians coming on and acting hyperbolically.

Ironically, now that the typical South Park episode is just a bunch of social commentary and political jokes connected by a weak storyline, it has become exactly what it hated about Family Guy. Hell, even Family Guy has some cohesion and boundaries and an actual sense of dilemma, whereas in South Park they can kill off pretty much anyone and destroy South Park over and over and the next episode it will be fine, so there are no consequences for anyone, no matter what happens in the episodes preceding them.

YES, YES, THANK YOU GOD!!! FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO SEES!!

I miss the old South Park... I miss alien invasions, basket-weaving monsters, Kenny being impaled on a flagpole... South Park used to be just a crazy show that made no sense, and that's what made it great! But now... it's just one stupid current event after another. If I wanna see current events mixed with ****ty comedy and the occasional (REALLY occasional) good joke(s), I'll watch Real Time with Bill Maher.

I have the first 5 seasons of South Park on DVD; after that, I don't think I've seen even half the episodes since. These constantly super-overexaggerated stereotypes of illegal immigrants, incomptent government officials, ignorant townsfolk, etc. have long since gone from funny to downright irritating.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone have forgotten their roots, a mistake a lot of potentially great shows today make; now, I can't even recognize South Park anymore. The humor used to be funny in a stuid kind of way; now, it's just stupid in an even stupider kind of way.

(sigh)

I'm starting to see why Isaac Hayes quit the show... :sweat:

TKnHappyNess
15th November 2006, 09:55 PM
I have never played Wow But seen people play it.

It was fairly funny, a bit cliched, but a decent effort. The epicness was hillarious and poor Butters, what character did he become in the end? and did that fatty get killed/

Butters showed up as Cartman's character, Cartman told him off, and we never saw Butters again in the ep. In the end, they do manage to take the guy out using some sword that they claim "was too powerful", but's in the Expansion. It's interesting how Stan's dad was the one who gave Stan the sword. BTW, Stan's screenname of loves2spooge is genius. You might be able to find it on YouTube before Comedy Central has it removed.

Vejodi
3rd December 2006, 10:41 AM
I love both old and new South Park. As stated above, they seem like separate shows. I think the turning point was Season 4-5 from where it was just crazy shit to political opinions. Season 6 and above is where it was completely different.

Even their political humor is going downhill as of late, as stated by HealdPK.

But I did enjoy the World of Warcraft episode. The reason why I bought WoW. :)

XD375
3rd December 2006, 04:49 PM
South Park's high points were Seasons 2, 3, and 6. The others are okay, nonetheless, although they usually aren't as funny, they're just too political and need to be less serious.

Razola
4th December 2006, 05:57 PM
Wow, this thread depresses me.

South Park creators Stone and Park have a list of their favorite episodes, and you won't see a single episode from anything before Season 4.

Why? Because the show was pretty damn lousy back then. It was full of disconnected potty humor that didn't do much in terms of writing. It was basically a smarter Family Guy.

The show took off because it attracted a lot of idiot kids (such as myself). Those of us who grew-up saw the change in direction as truly awesome. I mean, the movie itself is brilliant and just takes the issues of violence, movies, and so forth and uses South Park's OWN controversy as a vehicle. It's great stuff.

The show matured, and a lot of you didn't. Shit, even the bad ol' days the show hit on political issues. Wafer-thin plots? Herald, they had BIG GAY BOAT RIDES TO DISCUSS GAY ISSUES. STAN WAS CLONED. The first fucking six episodes dealt with Euthanasia, Homosexuality (which eve uttered was pretty big in the mid-to-late 90s) and Cloning. It was a political show to begin with. But rather than appeal to brain dead high school kids they sharpened their political swords and became the hit they are today.

Fuck, I can name several episodes done in this season that don't focus on Politics. Tsst, Stanley's Cup, Make Love Not Warcraft, Hell on Earth 2006. Four episodes that really don't have anything to do with politics at all.

God forbid we try to be intelligent here.

EDIT: Family Guy throws a pop culture reference out every minute and people clap like a seal getting fish. South Park takes current events and issues and writes a story around it. It's true: I can think of events in Family Guy that are funny but have NO idea what fucking episode they are from. Meanwhile, a South Park joke is funny and I can quickly remember where it came from. Why? Because it fits into the damn narrative and is more than Peter talking to some 80s icon.