PDA

View Full Version : Help getting rid of some viruses

Master Rudy
13th October 2006, 10:21 AM
Recently my computer had gotten infected with some viruses. I went out and bought Defender Pro 2005 but I've run into a few snags. Here are the problems as well as questions:

1-Despire being updated as soon as it was installed I'm still getting System Alerts and messages reading Critical System Error on my taskbar. All new scans bring up nothing.
2-System Alert bubbles read like this:
System Alert: Trojan-Spy.Win32@mx
Type: Spyware/Trojan
Vulnerable: Windows 95/95/ME/NT/2003/XP
Description: Spyware program that sends confidential information to a remote attacker
3-After installing Defender on my computer I attempted to install it to Brandy's/Asi's computer but afterwards I get an error message saying there was a problem and that the virus logs are corrupted. Attempting to update to new logs doesn't work and reinstalling doesn't work either. Solutions?
4-The main purpose of my computer is for a 2nd player to play World of Warcraft. Both computers are linked to a broadband router. Will leaving my computer connected to the internet potentially infect Brandy's computer? If not then are there any programs I should directly avoid using so that I don't infect her computer?

Brandy had suggested this because it was cheap at Target. Only $9.99 yet it doesn't seem to be doing much. I really can't afford Norton or McAfee at $39.99-$49.99 at the moment but I really need to get this computer cleaned up as well as the other one protected. Is this a case of getting what I paid for? Am I doing something wrong that's causing this computer to not be fully cleaned despite the virus log being as recent as 8 AM today? Please help. I'm not tech savy and I really need this taken care of.

mr_pikachu
13th October 2006, 10:37 AM
A couple of things.

1. Hopefully this (http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=132480) will help you.

2. Don't waste your money on Norton. In my experience, it seems to be too well-known; within a few months every major virus will have been written with the goal of evading Norton in mind. If you want to get a higher-end virus program, McAfee is good. And it's a wise idea to get one or two lesser-known programs, as well.

3. It's hard to say whether that connection will put the second computer at a greater risk. The only way to know would be to look at the trojan itself to see how it works, and I can't really do that. To be safe, it may be wise to disconnect one or both from the router until you get the problem solved.

I hope this helps. Good luck in ditching the trojan!

Master Rudy
14th October 2006, 12:51 AM
It took me awhile because I've been busy off and on all day but I eventually got the system clean by using a combination of Defender and the programs you gave links for. Thanks Mr. P ^_~