PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Taxi Driver Refuses Blind Woman with Dog

Metallixs Girl
13th October 2006, 08:05 PM
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1716093/posts

A Muslim minicab driver refused to take a blind passenger because her guide dog was "unclean".

Abdul Rasheed Majekodumni told Jane Vernon she could not get into his car with the dog because of his religion.

Islamic tradition warns Muslims against contact with dogs because they are seen as impure.

The case emerged as Jack Straw was embroiled in a controversy over Muslim women wearing veils and the row continued after a Muslim police officer was excused guard duty at the Israeli embassy. Today Mrs Vernon, 39, from Hammersmith, said: "This experience was very upsetting.

"I was tired and cold and just wanted to get home but this driver made me feel like I was a second-class citizen, like I didn't count at all."

Mrs Vernon, who works as a legal officer for the Royal National Institute for the Blind, added: "The owner of the minicab firm, Niven Sinclair, was also very insensitive, telling me that what had happened to me wasn't really very important, and I should have more respect for other people's culture. They have shown very little respect for my rights as a disabled person and have never once offered me an apology."

I just found this little story and I wondered people's opinions on it. Considering my blindness (not enough to need a guide dog, though) you can guess my opinion on this one... Cab Driver is not the right job for someone like that guy...:(

Magmar
13th October 2006, 09:12 PM
religious extremist = nutjobs. all of them. nutjobs

Heald
14th October 2006, 04:23 AM
Just as nutjob Christians shouldn't be pharmacists and therefore allowed to decide whether or not to hand out contraception or morning-after pills, other nutjobs shouldn't be in professions that present day-t--day situations that could conflict with their beliefs. You can't fire someone because of their religion, but you can say at the interview, "This job entails picking up dogs, yada yada yada, if you don't like this, take a hike," or something to that effect.

Leon-IH
15th October 2006, 10:10 PM
You can't fire someone because of their religion, but you can say at the interview, "This job entails picking up dogs, yada yada yada, if you don't like this, take a hike," or something to that effect.

This man be speaking the truth.

That said, the guy could have just called her another cab, it's not like other drivers would not have been happy to handle the job.

PNT510
17th October 2006, 02:33 PM
Just as nutjob Christians shouldn't be pharmacists and therefore allowed to decide whether or not to hand out contraception or morning-after pills, other nutjobs shouldn't be in professions that present day-t--day situations that could conflict with their beliefs. You can't fire someone because of their religion, but you can say at the interview, "This job entails picking up dogs, yada yada yada, if you don't like this, take a hike," or something to that effect.

[b]Although most cab drivers rent out the cabs from the dispatchers, so it really is up to them if they serve an individual or not. I do agree with Leon that he should have at least called her another cab.