PDA

View Full Version : Shiny Rate Up!

Darien Shields
18th October 2006, 03:31 PM
(I doubt many people remember me, but I have been around before... and accidentally forgot all the details for my account. Anyway, story for another time)

I was wondering what peoples oppinions are on the rate of Shiny Pokémon showing up in D/P. From what I understand, it's somewhat increased from the old gen'. Before I'd even got my third badge, a shiny Geodude popped up, which was quite a surprise (I haven't seen any other shinies since), and my friend with Diamond tells me he has a shiny Wingull. Unfortunately, while Geodude starts off as Solid Gold, when he evolves he becomes Solid Brown, and then Solid Tan T_T... but that's not the point.

Is the increased shiny rate good, 'cause you'll get more? Or does it irk you that shinies will be cheapened by their regularity? In several years of playing pokémon, this is the first shiny I've seen let alone caught, however, I felt disappointed when I found out the rarity was lower.

(Apologies if this discussion is already taking place in another post, at a glance I didn't see one that seemed to cover it)

Elec Man EXE
18th October 2006, 03:38 PM
I've played pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/FR/Emerald for a collective of almost 1500 hours, and I haven't seen a single shiny pokemon. I know thats rather bad luck, but even so its rather ridiculous.

I'm glad they're raising it. I doubt they'll become common, even if they doubled the chance of seeing a shiny, because even then the rate is still obscene. Besides, its not like having 2-3 shinies will make make you say "oh, they're not even special". You'll still have infinately more normal pokemon than shinies.

mr_pikachu
18th October 2006, 04:02 PM
It's a good thing. Like Elec Man EXE said, I might actually get to see one now! >_<

By the way, welcome back to TPM, Darien!

rinku
18th October 2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, hoping this is true. There absolutely no reason they couldn't increase the shiny rate - there are already other parts of the game where they manipulate the hidden values (i.e. inheritance of personality with Everstone) - however don't get your hopes up on one or two reports. Roughly speaking, one in 8000 encounters will be shiny under the old rules. With around 2 million D/P carts sold, about 250 lucky owners will get a shiny *starter*.

frylock
18th October 2006, 06:40 PM
The shiny rate's closer to 9000, I think. 1 in 8912 or something. I've never caught a shiny, but I always thought most shinies were pretty crappy, just pokemon a little diffrently colored. Dragonite, Charizard, and Porygon had col shinies, but most look worse than the original.

Darien Shields
18th October 2006, 06:49 PM
Yeah, hoping this is true. There absolutely no reason they couldn't increase the shiny rate - there are already other parts of the game where they manipulate the hidden values (i.e. inheritance of personality with Everstone) - however don't get your hopes up on one or two reports. Roughly speaking, one in 8000 encounters will be shiny under the old rules. With around 2 million D/P carts sold, about 250 lucky owners will get a shiny *starter*.

Most of those interested probably restarted their games repeatedly to get a Shiny Starter. As I understand it, it would only be set when you choose the pokémon, or when you start a new game, so it would be entirely possible to repeat until you got one.

9000 times is a little too much for me, though ^_^;

Poryhedron
18th October 2006, 08:00 PM
The shiny rate's closer to 9000, I think. 1 in 8912 or something.
Actually, you've got a couple digits switched there...it's 8192, so it really is closer to 8000 than 9000.
Why 8192, you may ask? Because 8192 = 2^13. Computer programs love using exponents of 2.

Blademaster
18th October 2006, 10:47 PM
Hey, welcome back, Darien. :wave:

(No, you don't know me, but I see your name around here a lot.)

I'm actually kind of glad that the shiny rate is increasing - in all the weeks I've spent playing the games, I've only ever caught 1 true shiny (other than the Red Gyarados in GSC), and that was an orange Golbat in Fire Red, which I've since restarted in order to take the FrLg Monotype Challenge Ghost proposed God-knows-when. Shiny Pokemon are great, but really, they aren't that special. One out of every 8192? You'd think they were carrying Master Balls around with odds like that... :eek:

Jeff
19th October 2006, 11:40 AM
I had never caught any shinies save for the red Gyarados, and a blue Tyroge from the Crystal egg. Then just this past summer I caught a total of 3 (Machoke and Kadabra on FireRed, Whismur on Ruby) all about within a month of each other, funny how probability works like that. Anyway I'd like to see the rate go up a little, but I'd much prefer if DP had ways to get the shiny versions of certain pokemon easier (like the red Gyarados and Crystal egg from GSC). Come to think of it, I heard DP had a red Gyarados, anyone else heard this, and can you catch it?

Oh and one more thing, IIRC, the GSC shiny rate was absolutely astronomical (something like 3/65536), just thought I'd throw that in.

Dragonis
19th October 2006, 02:03 PM
I hope the rate goes up too. In Emerald I've played over 500 hours, and I've only seen one shiny. A Staryu that I hatched from an egg. I still haven't seen any wild shiny pokemon.

rinku
19th October 2006, 06:52 PM
A lot depends on what you do while playing. Time spent in the battle tower, battling repeat trainers, raising berries, doing contests or cycling back and forth to hatch eggs won't really help you see more.

Try using encounter chance increasers and hitting the grass.

Everoy
22nd October 2006, 03:57 PM
In my life, I've only ever seen one non-Gyarados shiny, and that was a Rhyhorn in Gold a very, very long time ago. I'd love an upped shiny rate.

frylock
22nd October 2006, 04:13 PM
during my fire monotype I saw a shiny ponyta, Which was awesome... but it was probably the last battle before I finished off Red, so it was no use....