PDA

View Full Version : Your Early Writings

Dragonfree
21st October 2006, 11:56 AM
This thread is for posting some of the early stuff you wrote just to everybody else can laugh at it. ;) As it may be long, it is preferrable if you can post a link to it - if you don't have it anywhere online already, an excerpt will do. Of course, nobody has to read everything posted in the thread, but it's probably fun to skim it or just read a paragraph or two to get a basic idea of what it's like.

If your very first was written in another language, it would be nice to at least include your first English writings as well, just so everybody will understand it.

Now, to start with, I bring you the glorious awfulness of...

...Molzapart and Rainteicune (http://www.dragonflycave.com/molraicommented.htm). It's not exactly a fic, but it's the first "thing" I wrote for enjoyment in English, started in December 2001. (I was eleven years old, and just about the only English I knew came from struggling through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire armed with an English-Icelandic dictionary.) I had never read a fanfic before - I was firmly convinced that I had invented the idea of writing a story about Pokémon. o.o The link leads to a commented version that I made a few days ago - my new comments are in parentheses in bold italic, or when commenting on headings, just italic.

It begins as a sort of horribly grammatically incorrect childish essay about Molzapart, the most powerful Pokémon in the world, then has the entire essay translated into Icelandic, and then another essay about Rainteicune, which sort of evolved into a fic somewhere in the middle, jumping back into the essay format occasionally. It was never posted anywhere, although it did become a large influence upon The Quest for the Legends, which was started half a year afterwards...

...as this (http://www.dragonflycave.com/pokémonsaga.htm). Yes, that is the original version of The Quest for the Legends, preserved through a miraculous stroke of luck: when I was making my website and wanted to put my story on it, I used Word's "Save as Web Page" option, but never overwrote that original file by saving it again. That actual Word document on my computer now contains the UMR version - only after that did I think to write revisions in new documents. Anyway, as you'll see if you skim through it (it's some five and a half chapters, plus a bunch of notes I kept at the end concerning the Gym leaders, the Pokémon I planned for the main characters to catch, etc.), it has really awful battles, a bunch of stupid legendary Pokémon, and a plethora of spelling and grammar errors.

So yeah, that's my first steps as a fanfic writer. How about you?

Lady Vulpix
21st October 2006, 03:04 PM
Alright, here's Jim (http://www.files.bz/files/1336/Jim.html), one of the first stories I wrote in English, back in 1995. And Clouds (http://www.files.bz/files/1336/clouds.html), 1997, with one of the worst endings I've ever written, but meh. For all I know, the ending of QoT could end up being just as bad.

mr_pikachu
21st October 2006, 03:13 PM
My first was Misty Returns! (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=42971.0), a extremely poor fic that I wrote in under 24 hours. (As much as I'd like to blame the sleep deprivation, it didn't play as much of a role as my total lack of writing technique did.) It was pretty much standard Pokeshipping fare, complete with a stereotypical plot and utterly ridiculous "twists." Read it and learn what bad writing really is!

To some extent, this carried over into What Dreams Are Made Of (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=13470.0), a fic I'm still writing today. It's quite a bit better now, and I'm actually proud of what it's become. But the first dozen or so chapters were little better than Misty Returns. There were a few areas that were somewhat improved, but for the most part it was horrible in the early stages. In a number of ways.

After that, I've gotten better (I think). A couple of my shorter pieces were subpar, but I can't really group them with the others. MR and WDAMO were my first fics, no question.

Chris 2.1
21st October 2006, 03:56 PM
My fanfic expiriences have been as long and vast as a length of proverbial string.

My first first ever thing I wrote was back in about 01/02 when TPM had a fanfic-rating part of the website. I remember knowing one of the 'raters' (who gave the fic a mark out of 3), and I submitted a fic that was about a boy who started a Pokemon Journey (in Johto, I believe) with a Cleffa. I think he recieved it from a Professor. He caught a Wooper, Totodile and something else, and subsequently released Wooper.

Anyway that all happened in 3 chapters and I scrapped it.

Then there was A Boy and his Bear. Ken grows close with a Totodile that his Mother is keeping in her lab. Eventually trainers choose the Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile, and Chris, under the impression Totodile's trainer is a bad person, goes off to get the friend back. He caught a Teddiursa, Zubat, Bulbasaur, Lapras, Magmar and something else. He got all 8 badges and eventually got a Totodile egg from the same Totodile, in its Feraligatr form. The trainer eventually joined Team Rocket. At the end of the fic, Ken's mum moved in with his dad, and they moved house.

The sequel, Lucky Charms, was about Ken's son, Rikki, who has a Togetic and started a quest in a new reigon. To date there have been 3 forms of this fic; I re-wrote it a few years back but stopped after roughly 8 or 9 chapters. It involved Rikki having a secret ally in the form of a boy named Ila, as well as two agents named Michelle and....someone. Rikki's mother and sister also had Pokemon.

The Gyms were also changed for the second draft. In the third, it was given a complete makeover; Rikki lived with his pathetic, single dad. His mother was the leader of a crime syndicate; he had a little sister, unbeknownst to him or his father (a plot twist never actually revealled in versions of the fic). His team was different, and he dealt with death, rivals, a mentor (who did die, at the hands of said crime syndicate). It was dark. It reached 13 chapters but the entire thing had been planned.

From Rookie to Champion - whoa. In short, 3 trainers, a group of Islands. I considered re-writing it now, having enjoyed it so much. I'm still debating whether or not to. It spawned a sequel named The Indigo Road, involving the two main characters and a multitude of minor ones in somewhat darker, moodier plots. I explored new styles of writing. It was random.

From Sequel To Trilogy; a 7-chapter epilogue to these characters and their lives, tying up everything for good. I left these characters.

The Monica Chronicles. Starting with Monica's Army, I wrote a series of fantasy-based fics dealing with a young girl building a group of adepts to help take on the evils in the world. It was popular, and I wrote a second, introducing new characters, the idea of Assassins (hand-made fighters constructed from the powers of strong adepts and the bodies of those adepts loved ones. The idea was when an adept was captured, the family were attacked, killed and used for the medium to contain the new energy) and paved the way for book 3.

Book three, Monica's Vendetta, dealt with the girls hatred for the most loyal servants of the dead Dimitri as plans to revive him commence. It is still being written.

The Pokemon Masters League - originally a fic based off the ASB, it has evolved into a dark and moody quest with some of my best work to date, if I may say so.

Mewfour
21st October 2006, 05:45 PM
I've long since hunted down and deleted every online and hard copy of my early works (2000-2002), in hopes that no human being would ever have to be tortured by them again. Of course that's not to say anything past 2002 of mine hasn't been a disaster. Galaxy War X and the first version of Bitter Alliance immediatley spring to mind. I pulled and deleted the old version, and just so you can fully encapsulate how horrible GWX was, even I, who slugged through THIRTY CHAPTERS of early PADS! (and early readers know how horrible that was!) dared not to touch a measly 14.

Consider yourselves lucky.

mistysakura
21st October 2006, 08:39 PM
Right. ?So, my early works. The very early works of fanfiction date from when I was about eleven or twelve. AAML one-shots. I know, how typical. Anyway, I tried to unearth them the other day for a laugh, but couldn't find them anywhere. Probably a good thing. Then I wrote another AAML one-shot around the age of thirteen. If I remember correctly, it was one of my first posts at TPM under this name. Well, that has gotten lost somewhere as well, although I've retained a copy if it. However, it's on my dad's computer, which I can't access until December. It was... slightly improved from my even earlier stuff. Just slightly. I wasn't enlightened yet. So, I joined TPM, started doing some reading, and learned a whole lot about good writing. This led me to my fourth work, which does exist on the internet, right here (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=15609.msg214469#msg214469). It was a six-chapter long... thing. Never finished. The writing style wasn't ahlf-bad, now that I look back at it. But please excuse my characters. Not a touch of realism whatsoever. No, they weren't really Mary-Sues, it was jsut that I had no grasp of human character whatsoever. Funnily enough, I haven't written a whole lot since then, besides a couple of one-shots and some miscellaneous poems. So enjoy.