PDA

View Full Version : Firefox: Old bookmarks?

mr_pikachu
24th October 2006, 04:46 AM
...It's barely 4:30 in the morning, and I can already tell you today is going to be a bad day.

Background info: I've been having some problems with my comp lately. Mainly, the thing's been acting slow in general. Naturally, I thought I should run a virus scan. However, the scans were giving weird results regarding conflicts between programs and such. So I restarted in safe mode to try to solve the problem. (I now think I have it figured out, but that's not the point.)

Long story short, when I restarted my computer normally again, all of Firefox's bookmarks were gone - even the useless default ones that I never got around to deleting myself. There was a thread (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=43974.0) about a similar issue awhile back. But when I tried youdontknowme's suggestion, all the files I found were devoid of my favorites, as well.

(Why didn't I take Andrew's suggestion and create a backup before this happened? I'd rather not debate my remarkable stupidity.)

Anyway, is there somewhere else that Firefox keeps a copy of older favorite lists, like a cache, or something? Or another way that I could recover my favorites? Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I'm not sure if it's relevant to my problem, but my history was also deleted for no reason. Maybe that means something, maybe it doesn't.

youdontknowme
5th November 2006, 01:40 AM
The only other thing I could think of is checking to see if there's a 'bookmarkbackups' folder in the Application Data/.../Profiles folder.
:|

mr_pikachu
5th November 2006, 03:24 PM
Afraid not. There is a "bookmarks.bak" file, but since it's only 1 KB in size, I doubt that has what I need. (Besides, I don't have the proper program to open and examine it, anyway.)

Dang it... this is irritating.

Lady Vulpix
5th November 2006, 04:02 PM
If you open it with Notepad, what do you see?

mr_pikachu
5th November 2006, 04:51 PM
Worth a shot...

<!DOCTYPE NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file-1>
<!-- This is an automatically generated file.
It will be read and overwritten.
DO NOT EDIT! -->
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
<TITLE>Bookmarks</TITLE>
<H1>Bookmarks</H1>

<DL><p>
<DT><H3 ADD_DATE="1161679149" PERSONAL_TOOLBAR_FOLDER="true" ID="rdf:#$IcBU02">Bookmarks Toolbar Folder</H3>
<DL><p>
</DL><p>
</DL><p>

Ah, well.