PDA

View Full Version : Golden Joystick Awards

Alucard
27th October 2006, 10:30 AM
For those who don't know what the "Golden Joystick Awards" are, it's pretty much the top award ceremony in the UK. It's on it's 24th year and the results are as follows:

GOLDEN JOYSTICK AWARD WINNERS
Ultimate Game of the Year:  Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Game of the Year:  Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
Family Game Award:  Nintendogs
Girls Choice Award:  Nintendogs
All-Nighter Award:  Pro Evolution Soccer 5
PlayStation 2 Game of the Year:  Resident Evil 4
Nintendo Game of the Year:  New Super Mario Brothers
Xbox Game of the Year:  Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
PC Game of the Year:  Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Handheld Game of the Year:  GTA: Liberty City Stories
Online Game of the Year:  Age of Empires III
Soundtrack of the Year:  Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Innovation Award:  Xbox Live Marketplace
One to Watch for 2007:  Sony PlayStation 3
Favourite Character Award:  Lara Croft
Publisher of the Year:  Electronic Arts
Retailer of the Year:  Game

It's official, the majority of UK Gamers are morons.

Full story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6090532.stm)

I find most of the results to be laughable, either laughable and just down right stupid.

Does the US have any kind of awards for games~? or is that moronic privilege held for the UK?

Elec Man EXE
27th October 2006, 03:50 PM
WTF? Whats the difference between "Ultimate Game of the Year" and just plain "Game of the Year"?

And Lara Croft won best character? :rolleyes:

PNT510
27th October 2006, 04:10 PM
[color=purple][b]I know SpikeTV had a video games award show for a couple of years though. The first year Tony Hawk beat out Madden for best sports game, but then Madden went on to win game of the year. The second year was a joke as well with games being nominated that weren't even out just because they thought wanna be thug kids would want to see them(50 Cent's Bullet Proof, and Marc Echo's Getting up).

DarkTemplarZero
27th October 2006, 04:28 PM
Elder Scrolls IV is not at all a bad game but ... Lara Croft? Nintendogs? I've never even heard of Nintendogs? That's lame.

And as for Spike TV, they're idiots when it comes to gaming and should stick to doing what they do well; Star Trek and James Bond. Like most game awards, they generally get the big games right, i.e. Game of the Year is generally a reasonable choice, but then stuff like best individual sports game as Tony Hawk's American Wasteland? ... that game sucked. I was much more a fan of the original Underground myself. True there aren't any better individual sports games, but then why make it a category? And then a True Crime game actually winning an award, yeah right.

classy_cat18
27th October 2006, 08:59 PM
I personally prefer G-Phoria. That's the annual game awards show that shows on G4. It's not much better than the ones from Spike TV though.

Elder Scrolls IV is not at all a bad game but ... Lara Croft? Nintendogs? I've never even heard of Nintendogs? That's lame.

Never heard of Nintendogs? I'm not saying it's a good game but...what cave have you been living in during the past year? It's that DS game where you can take care of puppies of different breeds. Sort of like a 3D version of Tamagotchi. Very popular with the female crowd.

But EA being Publisher of the Year? Excuse me for a minute. *exits* DAAAAAAAAMN! *returns* Okay, feeling a little better.

Blademaster
27th October 2006, 10:02 PM
Never heard of Nintendogs? I'm not saying it's a good game but...what cave have you been living in during the past year? It's that DS game where you can take care of puppies of different breeds. Sort of like a 3D version of Tamagotchi. Very popular with the female crowd.

Really?

Hmmmmm... Houndoom_Lover is a dog person...

:idea:

In other news, the best Nintendo game of the year was New Super Mario Bros. W00t. :dance:

DarkTemplarZero
27th October 2006, 10:43 PM
Well I haven't really been around on gamefaqs recently so I guess I haven't been completely in touch with what's been going on. But still man, it's a game about raising puppies. According to gamefaqs it's pretty good but unfortunately playing it lowers your masculinity to zero. But on the other hand, the fact that they gave Nintendogs a better rating than Guitar Hero negates anything they say about it.

Speaking of which. Guitar Hero II. Free Bird and Carry On Wayward Son are in it. My life is complete.

PNT510
28th October 2006, 09:38 AM
[b]More importaintly though, the Trogdor song is in Guitar Hero II.