PDA

View Full Version : GAME (Tournament): Fall 2006 Cartoon Character Battle – FINAL RESULT! [M.A. TML]

mr_pikachu
4th November 2006, 10:25 PM
Fall 2006 Cartoon Character Battle – Finals
Originally Created By Dr. Omicron
Tournament Director and Host: mr_pikachu
Moderator Approved by The_Missing_Link
With Many Thanks to GameFAQs.com

RULES

1. Each round of the tournament will be given a separate thread. Each individual battle of the round will be listed in the first post of that thread, and it will show the combatant’s names as well as their seeding in the tournament. When you see this, it’s time for you to vote!

2. To vote, simply indicate your choices in a reply to the round’s thread. A good way to do this is by copying the brackets that are posted and bolding your choice for each match. Feel free to post comments such as your reasons for choosing each character, too.

3. Each round will last for one week before the thread is closed and the round is concluded. This means that you have an entire week to pick who you want to win. That should be plenty of time. If you really want your characters to win, then get out there and vote!

4. Once the tournament reaches the latter stages, more information may be given about the remaining characters. You may hear about each character’s history, appearances, creation, and other interesting facts. This data will help you to make the crucial decisions that will decide the final champion.

5. Should two characters be tied when the polls for a match close, the tournament director will cast the tiebreaker vote. However, the tournament director will NOT cast a vote in ANY match other than a required tiebreaker vote. It’ll be up to you to keep your characters moving through the tournament, so get out the vote!

6. The tournament will continue in this manner until the final battle is complete and the Champion of the tournament is decided.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Semifinal Results

Semifinal #1

#10 Superman (Justice League) vs. #7 Inuyasha (Inuyasha)
Superman, 5-1

Semifinal #2

#3 Homer Simpson (The Simpsons) vs. #8 Edward Elric (Full Metal Alchemist)
Homer Simpson, 4-2

Ladies and gentlemen… boys and girls of all ages… welcome to…

THE FINAL SHOWDOWN!

Two legends of American animation go head-to-head to determine who is the greatest cartoon character of all!

Allow me to introduce the first competitor!

http://iconcreationsart.homestead.com/files/Wizard_Superman_Full_Size.jpg
Superman

Superman is a fictional character and one of the most famous and popular comic book superheroes of all time. Created by American writer Jerry Siegel and Canadian artist Joe Shuster in 1932 while both were growing up in Cleveland, Ohio, and sold to Detective Comics Inc. the same year Superman debuted in Action Comics #1 (June 1938), the character has since appeared in radio serials, television programs, films, comic books, newspaper strips and video games, contributing to his long-standing ubiquity.

Superman is born Kal-El on an alien planet — later named Krypton — and is rocketed to Earth as an infant by his scientist father moments before the planet's destruction. The rocket lands on Earth, where he is found by passing motorists who adopt him and give him the name Clark Kent. As Clark reaches maturity, he learns he has superhuman abilities which he resolves to use to help others, fighting anything from petty crime to universal threats. After adopting a costume consisting of a blue shirt with a stylized "S" on the chest, a pair of red briefs over blue pants, a pair of red boots, and a red cape, he becomes Earth's champion, with the media giving him several nicknames including "The Man of Steel", "The Man of Tomorrow" and "The Last Son of Krypton". To keep his identity secret when not fighting evil as Superman, Clark lives among humanity as a "mild-mannered" reporter for the Metropolis newspaper The Daily Planet (originally called the Daily Star). Clark works alongside reporter Lois Lane, with whom he is romantically involved (and married in the mainstream current comics' continuity).

Statistics
Height: 6’4”
Weight: 225 lbs.
Special Powers: Super Strength, Super Speed, Man of Steel
Greatest Weakness: Kryptonite

Tournament History
VS. #7 Slade ~ Superman winked at the judge (4-4)
VS. #2 Ichigo ~ Superman reaped Ichigo's soul (7-3)
VS. #6 Spiderman ~ Superman was immune to spider senses (4-3)
VS. #1 Garfield ~ Superman threw the world’s lasagna into space (4-3)
VS. #7 Inuyasha ~ Superman was impervious to the Tetsusaiga (5-1)

Now, please direct your attention to our second survivor!

http://www.lifeisajoke.com/simpsons/Homer-To-Alcohol.jpg
Homer Simpson

Homer Jay Simpson is a main character in the animated television series The Simpsons. He is the husband of Marge Simpson and the father of Bart Simpson, Lisa Simpson and Maggie Simpson. Although often portrayed as gluttonous, lazy or simple-minded, there are times when Homer has displayed amazing intelligence. Homer has become a popular character and an American icon. He is, alongside his son, Bart, arguably the shows biggest star and most well known character. He is voiced by Dan Castellaneta, who changed Homer's voice as the show evolved from the recurring short on The Tracy Ullman Show, reflecting Homer's emotionally adaptive nature.

Homer Simpson embodies a number of negative working class, American stereotypes: he has a low-level job, he is crude, relatively uneducated, overweight, intolerant, inept and a borderline alcoholic. He has a loose sense of reality, but can be capable and quick-witted at times. In spite of his apparently blue-collar status, he has had a number of remarkable adventures, even journeying into outer space as an astronaut.

Homer works as a safety inspector at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant in Sector 7G. He spends much of his time dozing and eating doughnuts, but his job is repeatedly saved by fortuitous circumstances.

Statistics
Height: 6’1”
Weight: 239 lbs.
Special Powers: Voracious Appetite, Exceptional Luck, Trivia Knowledge
Greatest Weakness: Doughnuts

Tournament History
VS. #14 Takeru ~ Homer Simpson never heard of Takeru (6-2)
VS. #6 GIR ~ Homer Simpson ate GIR (8-2)
VS. #7 Ash Ketchum ~ Homer Simpson befuddled Ash (6-1)
VS. #4 Sephiroth ~ Homer Simpson sat on Sephiroth’s sword (4-3)
VS. #8 Edward Elric ~ Homer Simpson buried the Philosopher’s Stone in doughnuts (4-2)

LET THE FINAL BATTLE BEGIN!

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2584/tourneybracket8dm4.gif

.hacker
4th November 2006, 10:32 PM
Well, this is the final round.... I cast my final vote to:

Homer Simpson

Inferno_Dragon
4th November 2006, 11:55 PM
The final two competitors are the toughest ... the man of steel or the man of comedy? Both competitors are powerful in their own ways. True, Homer Simpson has been around the longest in cartoon form but Superman's legacy would probably outlast Homer Simpson. Superman was introduced in comic book form way before Homer appeared on the Tracy Ullman show. Besides Superman has gone on a lot more adventures than Homer and Homer doesn't have a fortress of Solitude or a orbital space station where he and his fellow heroes can work on saving the world from evil doers.

So my vote goes to ............ Superman.

Blademaster
5th November 2006, 12:53 AM
I have to say Homer Simpson.

Yes, Superman has been around longer, he's a superhero, and he is the greatest pop culture icon in history (Check around VH1.com if you don't believe me.), but Superman is lacking in one key area: his emotions.

I am not a devout follower of Superman, but I've never seen him laugh out loud, cry, or get angry. He is always so calm, collected, and focused - he's almost without a personality.

Homer, on the other hand, runs the full gamut of emotions in almost every episode - I've seen him laugh, cry, yell, hoot, giggle, swear uncontrollably, tremble with rage, scream like a little girl, and even develop an emotional relationship with a summer ham. Homer may not have Superman's powers, but he is a hero in his own right (and in Pieman's right), with a complex mind and a tolerance to 10 lifetimes'-worth of insane mishaps that would make Superman's head spin. If that's not hero material, then I dunno what is.

Homer Simpson for the win!

Weasel Overlord
5th November 2006, 08:59 AM
[color=silver]I'm gonna vote for Homer too. Superman is just, well, boring really. And what's with those knickers!? *shakes head sadly*

darktyranitar
6th November 2006, 06:44 AM
I cast my final vote to...

Superman.

The Blue Avenger
8th November 2006, 02:12 PM
I'm voting for Homer Simpson. If it came down to a 1 on 1 match, Homer probably ate some kryptonite accidentally with a sandwich or has some in a desk drawer near some inanimate carbon rod. Hence, Superman's powers would be gone and Homer could just sit on him or something.

The_Missing_Link
9th November 2006, 01:52 PM
Homer. So much more interesting than Superman and a lot more funny (despite the continuous decline in TS's quality)

mr_pikachu
11th November 2006, 08:26 PM
This is your two-hour warning! If you want to vote in the final battle and have a say in who becomes the champion, you must do so within the next two hours! So get to voting!

Andrew
11th November 2006, 09:42 PM
Homer. More of a man than supes ever was.

Magmar
11th November 2006, 10:25 PM
Wow! This is ending in like.. a minute, then!

If I *can* vote, I vote Homer because he can eat way more donuts than Superman.

mr_pikachu
11th November 2006, 10:26 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls! Please give a round of applause to our new champion!

He trashed Digimon Adventures’ Takeru, 6-2!
He crushed Invader Zim’s GIR, 8-2!
He slaughtered Pokémon trainer Ash Ketchum, 6-1!
He edged out Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children’s Sephiroth, 4-3!
He outsized Full Metal Alchemist’s Edward Elric, 4-2!
And now, he has claimed a decisive 7-2 victory in the championship battle!

With a finishing knockout of the Man of Steel, Superman, this match and the title go to the masterful entertainer – the one, the only, Homer Simpson!

http://www.iit.edu/~kimtaee/homer.gif
CHAMPION: HOMER SIMPSON

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/33/tourneybracket9mw5.gif

I’ll leave this thread open for a little bit. Feel free to comment on the champion, the matchups, and how the tournament was run! Let’s hear what you have to say.

P.S. You really cut it close, Rude Boy. Your vote was submitted eight seconds before the deadline.

Shadow Wolf
11th November 2006, 10:38 PM
Uhhh, it looks like I am too late to vote(even if my vote was for Homer)

Anyway, I find Homer to be a good champ.

What I find kinda odd(and kinda awesome at the same time), is that Blademaster nominated all of the winners in each division. :eek:

Nice Job Blade! :yes:

Blademaster
11th November 2006, 10:46 PM
Well, I think I speak for all of us when I say this:

WOO-HOO!!!