PDA

View Full Version : New official dark WinXP theme from Microsoft!

Jeff
6th November 2006, 09:22 PM
It's called "Zune", obviously in honor of Microsoft's upcoming iPod ripo... I mean "killer", and it's basically a black version of the WinXP Media Center theme with an orange start button (don't ask). The version being distributed by Microsoft though gets the directory structure wrong and the theme doesn't appear completely correct (the task panes in explorer windows aren't styled), fortunately someone managed to fix it (http://uk.geocities.com/mav_xppro/Zune_Theme_fixed.zip), and that's the version I have (found in this thread (http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35974)). The best thing is that this is signed by Microsoft, so anyone can install it with or without a patched over uxtheme DLL. Here's a screenshot:

Edit: Some other points I forgot to mention:
-This theme is an improved version of the unfinished "Royale Noir" theme that was released a little while ago.
-Even though it's is based off of the WinXP Media Center theme, you don't need Media Center to install it, it installs just fine on XP Home (which I have) and presumably, XP Pro.
-The zip contains two executables, one installs the theme and the other installs the wallpapers (both wallpapers are the same image of an outdoor concert)

Master Rudy
7th November 2006, 01:11 AM
Awesome looking theme! I've been looking for something other than the standard WinXP look for awhile. Over time the WinXP look grew on me since up until Feb. of this year every computer I used outside of school was no later than Win98. However the color choice is very blah. This one not only looks great but actually got me to switch from the classic start menu look to WinXP's look. Now all I need is some decent Bengals wallpaper and I'll be set! ^_^

EDIT-How rude of me to forget to say thanks Jeff! ^_^()

Weasel Overlord
7th November 2006, 10:12 AM
[color=silver]Awesome! That's well better than the crappy green/blue themes of old. Thanks man!

The Blue Avenger
8th November 2006, 07:42 AM
I dunno, I like Royale Noir better, but only because I really don't like the orange start button. *shrugs* It still looks great though.

Chris
8th November 2006, 06:45 PM
Wow, Microsoft should really hire one of the theme creators at Neowin instead of carrying on like this. Did they sack all of their UI designers?

Drusilla
11th November 2006, 12:28 PM
I love it... the Start button is a little distracting (I keep glancing down to see what the alert is, lol), but other than that it's awesome!

Alucard
11th November 2006, 03:43 PM
I think it's horrible o_0; It looks like an amature has designed it. No offence to those who like it.

Chris
12th November 2006, 04:18 PM
I think it's horrible o_0; It looks like an amature has designed it. No offence to those who like it.

What do you dislike about it? For me it's the Start button. Whoever suggested that fluorescent orange and grey go together well?

Alucard
14th November 2006, 02:26 AM
Apart from the eyesore orange, I dislike where your username sits and where your log off and shut down optons are. The whole thing just looks, well amaturish.

youdontknowme
26th November 2006, 11:37 PM
Didn't like the original, don't like this one. I prefer "slimmer" themes. ;)

Nice find, nonetheless.

Alucard
4th December 2006, 09:48 AM
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/44080727/?qo=3&qh=special%3Add

owns microsofts version.