PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for a Fruits Basket rpg?

Waves_of_Darkness
13th November 2006, 08:25 PM
Hey all,

I'd like to start up a casual roleplay about the anime/manga, Fruits Basket. I recently got into it, and saw all of the anime (so frankly, I'm not entirely educated on the other animals of the chinese zodiac that weren't shown in the anime.)

For those of you not familiar with Fruits Basket, it's very simple; there are twelve animals of the chinese zodiac, representing different years of the calender (13, if you count the cat, who is not on the calender.) The spirit of the animals are passed down into different humans, and thus they are cursed, and become part of the Sohma family. Whenever a Sohma hugs a person of the opposite sex (excluding their own family members,) then they are transformed into whatever zodiac animal they are, but just for a little while. They also transform if they are put under a lot of emotional stress.

Because each character is possessed by a certain animal, they carry qualities of the animal throughout their life. For example, legend says that it was the rat that tricked the cat into not going to God's party, which is why the cat is not one of the chinese zodiac animals. Because of this, the cat is usually very easily aggravated, and hates the rat; although, the cat is usually accepted more in the normal world with other humans. The rat, on the other hand, is usually very calm, but tends to seclude him/herself from others, even from the Sohma family.

There are twelve animals: Dog, Boar, Rooster, Dragon, Cow, Sheep, Horse, Rabbit, Snake, Monkey, Rat, and Tiger. In this rpg, the Dog, Cat, and Rat all live in the same house. I'd like to get at the very LEAST these three characters. NO, THEY DO NOT HAVE TO BE FROM FRUITS BASKET. I'll give a few personality traits about each spirit, but that's it. They can be female if they were male in the manga, and vice-versa.

I'd like to know how many people are interested. Any questions?

Asilynne
14th November 2006, 02:55 AM
Id be interested if I could make up my own character using one of the animals of the chinese zodiac ^-^ Id have to know a lil about the plot but all in all not a bad idea. Im not really into fruits basket but even so this intrigues me :D

Mystic_clown
14th November 2006, 03:37 AM
Hmm, interesting. I'll give it a go if you start this thing.

Weasel Overlord
14th November 2006, 04:33 AM
[color=silver]*gibbers and squees* FURUBAAAA!!!!! *leaps on you* Whee!! Can Kirkleton be Aya-san/Shii-san/Hatori-saaan!?!

Oh, the shojo sparkles are delightful!! *hugs Shigure* HE'S MINE!! *fends off other people with stick*

...*mumble* so what if I'm a rabid fangirl... -_-

anyway, you may have gleaned that yes, I would be very interested in joining this! ^^ Shame the last manga's not out over here yet... >< Um, does the anime go all the way to the end? Me no wanty spoilers... ;_;

Waves_of_Darkness
14th November 2006, 09:54 AM
Haha, no Weasel, the anime doesn't even come close to the end. And I happen to be a big fan of Shigure myself... though as far as which Sohma I'd like to roleplay, that's a tough decision.

As for plot, this is mainly just a get-together-to-roleplay with no real end. The cat, rat, and dog all live in the same house, and the rest of the Sohma family lives in another, bigger house, elsewhere. The scene will take place at the dog's place (it's technically his house,) and everyone else can visit if they'd like.

I'm glad to see that I have support on this. I found another Fruits Basket rpg that started on this site a while ago, by PokemonLuver, and her descriptions for the each of the family members are perfect; I'm waiting for PL to get back to me on whether or not I can use those descriptions for the animals (since I haven't read the manga, I really don't know the animals that were not in the anime too well.)

Dark-San
14th November 2006, 11:25 AM
[b][size=3]I'm in though I have never seen the anime before. For your info, I'm born in 1984 which happens to be to be the rat year under the chinese zodiac. So I should be the one to take up that role unless someone else other than me here happens to fall under the rat year catergory too.

Waves_of_Darkness
14th November 2006, 12:35 PM
Haha perhaps we shouldn't pick roles yet, wait until I show you their personalities; you might find that one of the animals are just like you. For instance, I've recently spoken to Roy Karrde, and after describing the Tiger, he was like, "That sounds like me!" Needless to say, the Tiger has been reserved for Roy.

I should also mention that the cat, dog, and rat are pretty much the "main characters" because they are living in the house that will be visited, although they are no more important than the other Sohma's.

NOTICE!!

In the anime/manga, one girl happens to find out about the Sohma curse and ends up living with the Sohma family. She pretty much acts as the referee for the whole family (despite the fact that she can't hug the dog, cat, or rat, because they are all guys and they'd turn into an animal if she did.) Having her brought a lot of comedy in the show.

Therefore, I'm decreeing that if anyone wants to play a regular human, they can. You don't have to live with the Sohma's, but if you want to, you'd better have a good reason to. Usually, if any human finds out about the Sohma curse, their memories are erased, but you might have a special exception. ONLY ONE PERSON CAN DO THIS. If you want to be a second human, that's fine too, but understand that you won't know about the curse. As you can imagine, this can bring about some comedic scenes if a perverted yet regular guy was around three female Sohma members.

Ages can range from 15-30 for the Sohma's.

Okay, so Dark-San, Weasel_Overlord, Mystic_Clown, and Asilynne are in, and Roy Karrde and classy_cat18 told me online they'd like to join. Anyone else before I get the okay from PokemonLuver?

ChobiChibi
14th November 2006, 01:00 PM
*squee!* FURUBA X3

I thought I'd give you some ideas I was having when thinking of restarting the one I tried to get off the ground...

First of all, I found it hard having all characters having the Sohma curse. With all the character interaction being between Sohmas, it meant that no awkwardness really happened. I know that if you split the characters between Sohmas and regular people, it would work a lot better.

The second thing I was going to say... I don't think it would be a good idea to play existing characters. They've all got such detailed pasts (Takaya is known for these) and make things complicated. Plus, I'm all for creativity with new characters. I'd love to bring back the rabbit I had X3

I'm undecided on the use of the Cat, Rat and Dog in the same house... Obviously, the Sohmas are going to know eachother pretty well, but I thought it would be better to steer away from the main Fruits Basket plot... Same principle with having a single person knowing of the Sohma curse.

Other than that... There's only a couple of things from the manga I feel I must correct/point out.
- A member of the Sohma curse can only hug someone of the opposite sex if they are also cursed. Hense the Hatori plot (gah! Must... not... spoil >o<).
- I wish Shigure and Ayame-san were really a couple... *stares into space dreamily*

Waiting for me to get back to you? I didn't get a PM... Did you email me? Has Ryan been giving out my MSN as my email address? XP Of course you may use the characteristics- they're straight from the manga anyway XD

EngiMatikul
14th November 2006, 01:14 PM
rotfl Roy gets the loli :p

I'd join since I bought the fruits basket manga for my sister all the way up til 12 -_-;; >.>

EDIT: Pokemonluver makes a point, its better to invent our own characters so as to not really spoil anything needed in the actual plot of fruits basket, that would kind of suck to have a spoiler label on it.

classy_cat18
14th November 2006, 02:13 PM
[b][size=3]I'm in though I have never seen the anime before. For your info, I'm born in 1984 which happens to be to be the rat year under the chinese zodiac. So I should be the one to take up that role unless someone else other than me here happens to fall under the rat year catergory too.

*grabs him by the collar* I don't think so. If there's one rat that deserves that role, it's me.

Waves_of_Darkness
14th November 2006, 02:30 PM
Well then, looks like we're going to have a fun rpg :D. I'll get the sign up written soon.

Because of PL's suggestions, some of my own rules will be changed, so be sure to read all of the rules and shtuff first!

Tyler and Hobbes
14th November 2006, 05:10 PM
[color=gray]I'm in (hope I'm not too late), though, my experience with this anime... or any anime, really, is limited... I don't think that'll be a problem though, right? Sohma = my new favorite word. Next to Spectacular.

Waves_of_Darkness
14th November 2006, 05:37 PM

I almost forgot to mention, you can play a Sohma AND a normal character if you'd like.