PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin Problems and/or Suggestions

Kevin
22nd November 2006, 06:08 PM
If you experience any problems with, or have any suggestions for the new vBulletin board, please let us know by posting here.

If the problem is you can't log in due to the email used on your account is no longer accessible, then shoot me an email with details of your account, kevin@pokemasters.net

Saffire Persian
22nd November 2006, 06:15 PM
Well for one thing, you aren't allowing us to use the tags in our signatures. XD.. and some of the posts seem to be out of order.. At lest in my banner shop it is. XD...

This'll take some time to get used to, but, it's all good.

Edit : Actually, maybe it just deleted some of the newer posts. o.0

mr_pikachu
22nd November 2006, 06:19 PM
I'm sure you're probably already taking care of this, but just in case, will you be restoring the formatting code as well? (For instance, will we be able to change fonts and text alignment, use the wide range of smilies, etc.?) Or if you've restored it already, will there be new buttons above our text when we're posting so that we can see the new tags?

Just something I thought I'd throw out there, since it at least hasn't been done yet.

(And I'm glad to see that the italic tags and some of the smilies still work, even without a button at the top. :))

EDIT: Yeah, everything from the last few days seems to have been deleted. I guess everyone will just have to repost their material.

Lady Vulpix
22nd November 2006, 06:45 PM
It's looking good so far.

Is there any way to make "Last post" the default sorting for the topic lists?

Everoy
22nd November 2006, 06:47 PM
Um, it won't let me use an avatar. The only thing that shows up when I click "Edit Avatar" is a box with a checkable button that says check here if you dun wanna you an avatar.

Kevin
22nd November 2006, 06:47 PM
As long as you click "Go Advanced" or "Post Reply" instead of Quick Reply you will get all the format/smilie options.

Everoy
22nd November 2006, 06:51 PM
As long as you click "Go Advanced" or "Post Reply" instead of Quick Reply you will get all the format/smilie options.

Those don't work for me, all it has it 'Title', 'Message', and 'Post Icons'.

Kevin
22nd November 2006, 06:53 PM
Those don't work for me, all it has it 'Title', 'Message', and 'Post Icons'.

Check out your User CP options to change more stuff: http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

As for the threads being sorted by title, I'll try to fix that. :orange:

Edit: Threads should be sorted by post date/descending now.

Lady Vulpix
22nd November 2006, 07:04 PM
Thank you. http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/Smileys/CMForums/bow.gif

Edit: err... it doesn't seem to be working yet.

Kevin
22nd November 2006, 07:15 PM
Thank you. http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/Smileys/CMForums/bow.gif

Edit: err... it doesn't seem to be working yet.
Ok now it should work!:nut:

Lady Vulpix
22nd November 2006, 07:20 PM
It does! Thanks. :)

Oh, Crystal Tears is having trouble logging in. She changed her e-mail address, but she says she's not getting the confirmation e-mail. Is there anything you (or she) can do to help her?

Thanks on her behalf.

Saffire Persian
22nd November 2006, 07:24 PM
I see other people with pictures in their sigs, yet my images don't work - is there a certain code now that I have to use? Personally, I'm thinking you haven't checked the privileges for regular members to use the [img] tags and whatnot.

Blademaster
22nd November 2006, 07:44 PM
Um, Mr. Kevin...?

The clocks are about 5 hours slow... Is there anyway I can change that...? o.o'''''''

Everoy
22nd November 2006, 08:36 PM
Okay, let me be less confusing.

Problem One:

When I press Post Reply or Go Advanced there is a lack of formatting and smiley options.

Problem Two:

I cannot change my avatar, and I am not given the option to do so.

Problem Three:

My pictures, and those of other regular users, do not show up in signatures. All that appears is a link. Example in my sig. Also, formatting such as quoting is not working.

I'd attach pictures but I can't.

The Blue Avenger
22nd November 2006, 08:39 PM
Um, Mr. Kevin...?

The clocks are about 5 hours slow... Is there anyway I can change that...? o.o'''''''

I'm, uh, not Kevin, but you can fix that by going into your User CP and switching your time zone.

Also, Kevvaelli, to answer problem one, go into your user CP and select a different option for Message Editor Interface.

Everoy
22nd November 2006, 08:49 PM
Mmm, much thanks! *clicks

random
buttonsto see

what

happens*

Saffire Persian
22nd November 2006, 09:26 PM
Also, it won't let us edit our post titles - as in, the main titles, anymore.

Edit : If you have trouble, I know Dragonfree knows a lot about vBulletin, I believe o.o So I bet she'd be able to answer questions about what is going wrong and how to fix it.

mr_pikachu
22nd November 2006, 09:26 PM
It's hardly a major problem, but I've noticed that the red Pokeball indicators for new replies in the various forums don't change back to gray, even after all the new replies have been read. (They do reset if you log out and log back in, I believe.) Slightly confusing, although it is just a minor thing.

Poryhedron
22nd November 2006, 09:58 PM
It does! Thanks. :)

Oh, Crystal Tears is having trouble logging in. She changed her e-mail address, but she says she's not getting the confirmation e-mail. Is there anything you (or she) can do to help her?

Thanks on her behalf.

My password suddenly stopped working, so I had to complete the whole "Forgot Password" rigamarole, but it took forever because every time the system sent me an e-mail, a couple hours would pass before it actually arrived.
Has Crystal Tears still not gotten the confirmation e-mail?

Incidentally, was the switchover based on a week-old back up? Is there no way to get back the posts that were made since the 15th? DaBlackBandit's gonna be pissed...he lost some posts in his Monotype Challenge...

Saffire Persian
22nd November 2006, 10:37 PM
Just a question.. but can you possibly increase the character amount for posts? It's 20,000 and I didn't think it was that small before. >< It gets annoying when you go to post fanfiction that's a little long.

Mewfour
23rd November 2006, 01:32 AM
And how about all these old topics? WE going to get something after October on the old forums here too?

darktyranitar
23rd November 2006, 03:42 AM
I can't attach my avatar, and the tag on my sig won't work. *sigh* Guess this is not fixed yet...

Waves_of_Darkness
23rd November 2006, 04:00 AM
Please see this thread (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15117). Ignore it if you read it already. Thanks!

Alucard
23rd November 2006, 04:24 AM
Is there any chance of having the Horizontal Rule back and working~?

Chris
23rd November 2006, 06:50 AM
People in PCG seem to be seething with Internet rage about the switchover, so I'll address a few common concerns in here because you guys seem much calmer.

I'll try to import the posts made on SMF over the last week. Regardless of whether the import works, those posts won't be lost.
The colour scheme looks weird at the moment. This will be fixed over the coming week.
Smilies, posticons, etc will be redesigned to look better against TPM's dark theme.
The old yellow/red/purple/green themes will return.

Just a question.. but can you possibly increase the character amount for posts? It's 20,000 and I didn't think it was that small before. >< It gets annoying when you go to post fanfiction that's a little long.

I don't go to Fanfic so I don't know what would be a more reasonable limit. Any ideas?

Kevin
23rd November 2006, 07:16 AM
Avatars and images in sigs should work now.

Jeff
23rd November 2006, 07:22 AM
Cool, other than my failed attempts to log in then subsequently reset my password last night, it seems the switchover went pretty smoothly (but yes, I am back now).

And it looks like old features are starting to slowly trickle back in. Someone just has to tell to the folks in PCG to be patient. I think given all the accounts that were hacked on the SMF, the change will be worth it.

One question. What about user titles? They've all apparently been deleted (along with some other profile info), and as far as I can see, there doesn't seem to be a way to set it back.

Chris
23rd November 2006, 07:25 AM
One question. What about user titles? They've all apparently been deleted (along with some other profile info), and as far as I can see, there doesn't seem to be a way to set it back.

Obviously we still have records of them (and I think they did get imported), you just can't see or change them at the moment. I'll see to that.

edit: Try now.

Saffire Persian
23rd November 2006, 11:20 AM
I don't go to Fanfic so I don't know what would be a more reasonable limit. Any ideas?

Well, 20,000 characters is usually around 3,000 words. I'd say a reasonable amount for people would be around 40,000 - 50,000. 50,000 is being nice and generous, and you'd be able to post about... 90% of chapters/one-shots in one post instead of having to split. I know it sounds like a lot, but you'd be surprised how long chapters can get sometimes. o.o;

woz
23rd November 2006, 11:27 AM
Requesting the modification I suggested to the old vB which was approved here (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7175).

The Blue Avenger
23rd November 2006, 11:45 AM
I'd like to suggest the reintroduction of strikeout tags and center tags.

Also, the reintroduction of this smilie: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/images/smilies/smiles2/eyebrows-new.gif

Weasel Overlord
23rd November 2006, 12:15 PM
Is there any way that we can get the old colour format back? Like, if you wanna use a strange coloured font, you can just type in the hex code for it, and voila? Or do we just have to use the given options all the time?

Yeah... I'm weird... I got quite attached to my silver font ;_;

Chris
23rd November 2006, 12:16 PM
Requesting the modification I suggested to the old vB which was approved here (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7175).

Done, this is also now customisable in your profile; 50 and 100 are now options and the default is 40

I'd like to suggest the reintroduction of strikeout tags and center tags.

Also, the reintroduction of this smilie: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/images/smilies/smiles2/eyebrows-new.gif

Strikeout BB code done, center BB code already exists, smilies coming later

Well, 20,000 characters is usually around 3,000 words. I'd say a reasonable amount for people would be around 40,000 - 50,000. 50,000 is being nice and generous, and you'd be able to post about... 90% of chapters/one-shots in one post instead of having to split. I know it sounds like a lot, but you'd be surprised how long chapters can get sometimes. o.o;

50,000 it is, then

Chris
23rd November 2006, 12:20 PM
You can edit thread titles again because I set the title-editing timeout to 9999999 minutes

Is there any way that we can get the old colour format back? Like, if you wanna use a strange coloured font, you can just type in the hex code for it, and voila? Or do we just have to use the given options all the time?

Yeah... I'm weird... I got quite attached to my silver font ;_;

Jelsoft decided to ban that in vB3 because it violates a few web standards and there's a slight security risk because of it too, so there's not much chance of it coming back either, sorry

Dr.McNinja
23rd November 2006, 12:28 PM
Roy Kardde asked me to post to say that he cannot log in or request his password.

Chris
23rd November 2006, 12:41 PM
Roy Kardde asked me to post to say that he cannot log in or request his password.

He needs to email kevin@pokemasters.net as per the first post

Silencer
23rd November 2006, 03:46 PM
ASB is pretty messy right now sinc some of the newer posts just dissapeared. Being able to tell if your attacks are gonna work or not isn't really that fair IMO. Anyway to get the newest posts back?

OW btw some of the smileys are :cool:
like:
:hellyeah:
:keke:
:rolleyes:

Nice blue colors :D

Jeff
23rd November 2006, 08:31 PM

Yeah, I was having the same problem. For me, I wasn't able to reset my password last night because it was telling me my address was invalid, but then I tried again this morning and it worked. :jump:

Roy Karrde
24th November 2006, 12:48 PM
Alrighty got it working, hey Kevin is there anyway, I mean anyway to get all that is in RPG/RPG Lounge/ASBRPG Copied over? Replacing everything is going to take days, maybe weeks, and it would just be a lot of less work if we didnt have to quote each post and copy it over.

Everoy
24th November 2006, 05:01 PM
ASB is pretty messy right now sinc some of the newer posts just dissapeared. Being able to tell if your attacks are gonna work or not isn't really that fair IMO. Anyway to get the newest posts back?

Second'd.

Roy Karrde
24th November 2006, 10:24 PM
Hey why is the SMF down? Was it only going to be up for two days? And is there any way around the two coding rule, where like you can only do a Color and Font code and if you put in a third one like Center, it wont Center it.

mr_pikachu
25th November 2006, 12:56 AM
I believe you have to do the tags in the proper order. (SMF allowed you to order your tags in any way you pleased, as long as the end tags matched up properly.) In this case, the "center" tag should be outside of the font tags. I have my sig formatted in this manner (with bold, italics, and later images), and it works fine.

Blademaster
26th November 2006, 11:49 AM
A problem I've experienced a few times is this Shopzilla pop-up (Wrong word, maybe.) that appears occasionally when I open a new page, causing the screen to fill up with pixels and freeze. It's not a serious problem (I can just go Back and try again, and it usually works.), but it is kind of annoying and I don't know if it's harmful to the computer or not...

mr_pikachu
26th November 2006, 11:53 AM
A Shopzilla popup? That's weird... I haven't seen any popups, and my blocker hasn't recorded anything blocked, either (aside from initially blocking a PM notification popup, which I allowed for future purposes).

Are you sure that's a TPM popup and not an ad that's appearing from a preference or something hidden on your computer?

Blademaster
26th November 2006, 12:03 PM
Like I said, maybe 'pop-up' is the wrong word... ad, that may be what I was thinking of. No separate page; just a little rectangle advertising another site, like near the top of the homepage.

mr_pikachu
26th November 2006, 12:08 PM
Oh, a banner ad? Yeah, I've seen the Shopzilla one, although it doesn't seem bad on my computer. If you want to abolish ads like that, you should probably ask Kevin how much money you'll have to give him to subscribe to an advertisement-less forum service. ^_^;;

Aside from that, you may want to check your computer for problems. Unless it's a very old model, that banner really shouldn't be causing so much trouble.

Poryhedron
28th November 2006, 02:52 PM
People in PCG seem to be seething with Internet rage about the switchover, so I'll address a few common concerns in here because you guys seem much calmer.

I'll try to import the posts made on SMF over the last week. Regardless of whether the import works, those posts won't be lost.
So what's the progress on this? Monotype Challenge people aren't very happy either, especially with the SMF backup gone after a mere two days.

mr_pikachu
28th November 2006, 07:19 PM
This is just a minor thing that can wait for now, but would it be possible to add the [ table], [ tr], and [ td] tags again (or at least some equivalent)? Those were very useful for statistics and some games.

Blademaster
29th November 2006, 06:46 PM
Houndoom_Lover says she can't post on the new site - she says she's logged in, but when she tries to post a box appears saying she can't post for some reason(s).

Any advice?

Poryhedron
29th November 2006, 07:57 PM
It might help if she could tell us exactly, word for word, what the box says.

Plantae
30th November 2006, 12:36 PM
I realize that these two complaints are probably irreperable. Nonetheless, firstly, I dislike the character limit on private messages (at 5,000 characters). I believe it was longer on the last boards and was wondering if this could be extended a little? If not, well, thanks anyway.

Secondly, the limit on private message send times. I run the Axis Mundi thread in the Polls, Clubs, and Games forum most of the time and it requires that I send at least twelve private messages each round. This means that it will take me roughly twelve minutes each time I send messages, whereas it took only as much time as it took me to type the message and press send on the old forum. This isn't even accounting for the additional time it takes me to type all those messages, double-checking a list for each one, and triple-checking to make sure I make no mistakes as sending a role incorrectly can ruin all the roles and force me to randomize them all over again. I can understand if this cannot be fixed, but I would rather not spend an hour on private messages each time I must create a new thread if it is at all possible that I do not need to do so.

eevee-shayna
3rd December 2006, 03:24 PM
On the Fan Fic form only topics updated since october made it to this new board. How may I get my two fics back (which are still in progress, I'm just not the quickest at posting chapters)?

mr_pikachu
3rd December 2006, 03:30 PM
Don't worry, the topics survived. Go into your User CP, choose Edit Options, and change the Default Thread Age Cut Off.

I don't know why the default is set so short...

eevee-shayna
3rd December 2006, 03:52 PM
It worked! Arigato Pikachu-Sensei!

darktyranitar
6th December 2006, 11:17 PM
Okay... I still couldn't access to the smilies and tag when I click on "Post Reply". Any idea to fix this little problem?

mr_pikachu
7th December 2006, 12:20 AM
You'll need to go into your User CP. Go into Edit Options, and change your message editing mode to either Standard Editor or Enhanced Interface.

darktyranitar
7th December 2006, 08:56 AM
It work! :lemoncool:

Thanks, mr_pika!:)

mr_pikachu
9th December 2006, 06:06 PM
I apologize for requesting yet another aesthetic change... I know you admins are overloaded, but here's another suggestion to add to the end of your list, if you could.

Would it be possible to allow users to choose their default method of sorting the Who's Online page? It currently sorts people by username, but since I like to be able to quickly see who's active in the forums and threads of interest to me, that doesn't do me much good. I prefer to sort members by their time of last activity so that it shows who's actually doing something.

Anyway, yeah, another aesthetic option request. Sorry again. ^_^;;

Alucard
20th December 2006, 12:38 PM
Is there anyway that [hr] can br brought back? (or is it on here under a different wording?)

It's just irritating seeing ---------------------------- rather then a clean line..

Mewfour
24th December 2006, 12:40 AM
So.... new polls. What happened to 'em?

Chris
24th December 2006, 01:58 PM
So.... new polls. What happened to 'em?

Could you elaborate on this? Are you not able to make new polls in forums?

Is there anyway that [hr] can br brought back? (or is it on here under a different wording?)

It's just irritating seeing ---------------------------- rather then a clean line..

I've tried adding this but since vB requires an opening and a closing tag for BB Code it's proving difficult. I'll hack it together over the holidays. :)

mr_pikachu
25th December 2006, 01:03 AM
I think Mewf0ur's talking about the lack of polls being posted in PCG, although I could be mistaken.

(If that's the case, the easy way to remedy the problem is to post a new one. A few of us try to do that every once in awhile, but there are just too few poll starters to keep it up for long.)

Mewfour
25th December 2006, 03:18 AM
Nope, you just can't make new polls. Well, on the Fanfiction forum anway.

.... we have forums besides FAnfiction here?

Strider
2nd January 2007, 07:03 AM
Hm.. haven't been here in a while.

Question, though. I'd like to change my email back to my hotmail one, but I get a message saying that my address was banned. Same with my Yahoo one. What's going on here?..

mr_pikachu
2nd January 2007, 02:36 PM
Hey, Strider. Welcome back!

Basically, we had some problems with some of the free E-mails awhile back (Yahoo!, Hotmail, GMail, etc.) in which accounts were being compromised through information received over E-mails. I won't get into the details; you can find most of the story around the forum if you're really interested. But to make a long story short, we're a bit more wary of insecure E-mail accounts now. I suspect that Chris decided to block further use of those addresses, which would explain your situation.

Do you have an E-mail account through a college, or maybe some other private organization? Those are usually more secure (especially the college ones), so I suggest you try something like that if you want to change your E-mail. You may also want to contact Chris to find out exactly which domain names are blocked.

EDIT: Mewf0ur, how did I miss your post? Well, anyway, I'm guessing that the problem, whatever is was, has been solved. Roy Karrde posted a poll in Fanfic recently, and he's not a moderator in that forum (though he is on the staff elsewhere). So unless there's something of which I'm unaware, it's been handled. But let us know if you're still having problems.

Chris
3rd January 2007, 06:38 AM
Question, though. I'd like to change my email back to my hotmail one, but I get a message saying that my address was banned. Same with my Yahoo one. What's going on here?..

I banned Hotmail, Yahoo and GMail because of two reasons:

1: Most people don't choose good passwords or secret questions/answers, which results in their accounts getting broken into, which results in their TPM account getting cracked. I'm certainly not calling you an idiot here, it's just for the good of the forums. :)

2: It takes a maximum of 1 minute to get an email address from all three of those providers. That's really not enough to keep out permabanned users.

firepokemon
3rd January 2007, 07:00 AM
Chris when did you ban them. Cause yesterday I forgot my tpm password and I use gmail and it was all fine.

kainashi
3rd January 2007, 12:24 PM
you can thank jay and his buddies for that, fp.

mr_pikachu
4th January 2007, 04:16 PM
Hey, would it be possible to expand the character limit for PMs? It has a tendency to get in the way, especially when I and the other Hangman workers have discussions. When we're trying to come up with ideas to handle problems and improve gameplay, it helps to be able to have a quick reference for our chain of comments. If we're reduced to quoting one post before we're over the limit (which we often are), the conversation becomes quite tenuous.

EDIT: And by the way, the current limit is 5,000 characters.

Lady Vulpix
5th January 2007, 05:21 AM
Brian, if you want I can make a tagboard for you like the one we have for AC/CC. It's handier than PMs for discussions.

mr_pikachu
5th January 2007, 08:54 PM
Would it be a private forum? I ask because some of the discussions need to be kept secret by necessity.

Lady Vulpix
6th January 2007, 08:32 AM
I guess I could restrict access if it's necessary, but it would be easier to just not let people know where it is. Your call (making it private would take a bit longer, but it's feasible; making it so that only certain members can post wouldn't be hard, you just need to tell me who those members are).

kainashi
6th January 2007, 11:58 AM
just make sure you turn off post count in there too then. :P

Chris
8th January 2007, 01:14 PM
Chris when did you ban them. Cause yesterday I forgot my tpm password and I use gmail and it was all fine.

It's no problem if your current profile email address is Hotmail/Yahoo/GMail, but if you try to update your profile from now on with an address from one of those providers you'll get an error.

Lady Vulpix
8th January 2007, 02:15 PM
just make sure you turn off post count in there too then. :P

Are you talking about the tagboard? My tagboards never have postcounts. I don't see the use in counting how many posts someone has made.

mr_pikachu
8th January 2007, 02:35 PM
Gabi's tagboards aren't tied to the TPM forums, kainashi, if you're worried about people spamming to increase their postcounts. She makes them herself on other websites.

Strider
9th January 2007, 03:19 AM
I banned Hotmail, Yahoo and GMail because of two reasons:

1: Most people don't choose good passwords or secret questions/answers, which results in their accounts getting broken into, which results in their TPM account getting cracked. I'm certainly not calling you an idiot here, it's just for the good of the forums. :)

Didn't take it as such. I kind of figured, though. I recall when some moderator's accounts were hacked into through their hotmails quite a while back.

Thanks though, Mr. Pikachu and Chris. I just thought it was strange when my hotmail address switched around and was getting messages from here on my private address..